logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: 2012 Pa Regional results
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 6:24 pm 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

Sorry for the delay here. Below is the finishing order of the 21 participants of the 2012 Pa Regional. I will leave it to those who played to fill in the details and stories of the day. What I would like to do before listing the squads is say thanks to a few people. First and foremost I want to thank all of you who came out and played. Some of you drove a long way to be with us and I appreciate it. Next I'd like to thank the store owners of That Game Place, Charlie and Jasmin, for organizing the convention and the special appearance by the local chapter of the 501st. While I am at it, thanks to those guys who had a long day but still showed up late in the evening for us and stayed patiently for all of the photos we took. A number of people donated prize support... Christopher West (Brand new map products hot off of the press!), Lou Vasilion, Justin Warrenfeltz, and my son Kris who donated the FX Lightsaber he won at Frosty Con. Thanks to you all for your generosity. Thanks to 2 other special people: Eric Larson who made our trophies and Will Piggot who created the pairing software and brought his laptop so we could run the tournament right off of there. Just a word about that to those of you getting ready to run your regionals... We started about 35 minutes late but finished about 30 ahead of schedule. While I'd like to take credit for keeping the tournament moving, the credit should go to Will's program. We positioned Will so he'd be playing at the table right next to where I was sitting with the laptop in case I needed his help, but I didn't need him. The program ran flawlessly with no anomalies. Will, a special thanks to you, my friend.

Ok, I will start posting the squads below. Players, feel free to add your thoughts, experiences, and game summaries.

Being organized is for people who are too lazy to look for their stuff.

Lasers make everything better... except Alderaan.

Post subject: Re: 2012 Pa Regional results
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 6:24 pm 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

One other note: I have about 60 pictures I took of the regional and the 501st afterward. I have posted those on my Facebook page. They should be public... just look up Jim McNaney.

1. Matt Spry
Weir-thering the Storm
Throne Room

Grand Admiral Thrawn
Tyber Zann
General Weir
Imperial Governor Tarkin
Moff Nyna Calixte
Storm Commando x 2
Admiral Pellaeon
Mas Amedda
Ugnaught demolitionist x 2

2. Jason Kiernan
Mace in Yer Face
Cantina

Mace LotLS
General Skywalker
Foul
Captain Panaka
R2 Astromech
Mas Amedda
R7
Spaarti Clone Trooper
Rodian Brute x 4

3. Josh Hinkel
Homicidal Mace
Peaceful City

Mace LotLS
GOWK
Foul
R2 Astromech
Lobot
Evazon
Rodian Diplomat

4. Gerry Russell
Shedao Puppets
Asteroid Base

Shedao Shai
Nen Yim
Ossus Guardian x 2
Quednak
Yun Yammka Fanatic
Yammosk
Advance Agent
YV Worker x 4
Ugnaught Demolitionist x 3

Kris McNaney
Molest Celeste
Cantina

Rodian Brute x 4
Gran Raider
Salacious Crumb
R7
Mas Amedda
Admiral Ozzel
Admiral Pellaeon
Imperial Governor Tarkin
Tyber Zann
Thrawn
Celeste Morne

Lou
Mace in Yer Face Redux
Cantina

Mace LotLS
General Skywalker
Foul
Captain Panaka
R2 Astromech
Mas Amedda
R7
Spaarti
Rodian Brute x 3
Ugnaught Demolitionist

Eric Kimmel
T-Virus Troopers
Throne Room

Plo Koon Jedi Master
Mon Mothma
Admiral Yularen
Queen Amidala
Captain Panaka of Theed
R2 Astromech
Mas Amedda
Naboo Trooper x 11
Rodian Diplomat
Spaarti

Eric Larson
Mace in Yer Face
Cantina

Mace LotLS
General Skywalker
Foul
Captain Panaka
R2 Astromech
Mas Amedda
R7
Spaarti
Rodian Brute x 4

Evan Savage
Yes
Peaceful City

Han Galactic Hero
Mara Jade
Ganner
Lobot
Anakin Solo
Gha Nacht
Dodonna
Ugnaught Demolitionist
Mouse

Ted Peck
Derp
Muun Plaza

Corran Horn Jedi Master
Han Galactic Hero
Klatoonian Captain
Twilek Black Sun Vigo
Lobot Clo
Czerka
R7
Mouse x 2
Ugnaught Demolitionist

Stephen Crawley
Plan A, B, and C
Smuggler's Base

Assajj Ventriss Separatist Assassin
Darth Sideous
Lancer
Lobot
San Hill
Poggle the Lesser
Battle Droid Officer
Ugnaught Demolitionist
Geonosian Drone x 16

Justin Warrenfeltz
Not My Squad
Peaceful City

Mace LotLS
GOWK
Lobot
Foul
Evazon
R2 Astromech
Rodian Diplomat

Paul Steves
Revan Swap
Rancor Pen

Darth Revan Sith Lord
Darth Maul Sith Infiltrator
Lord Kaan
Gha Nacht
Darth Sideous Hologram
R7
Ugnaught Demolitionist
Mouse x 6

Eric Kielbasa
I Made This On Our Car Ride
(not listed)

GOWK
Mace LotLS
Ugnaught Demolitionist
R7
Kel Dor
Sev
Gungan Shieldbearer
The Dark Woman

Will Piggot
Unnamed Mandalorians
Jabba's Palace

Jaster Mareel
Mando Scout x 3
Mando Gunsmith x 2
Mando Captain
Mouse x 8
Ugnaught Demolitionist x 3

Josh Steves
House of Boaz Pilots
Ravaged Base

Darth Vader Legacy
Dash Rendar Renegade Smuggler
G.A.R.Y.
Imperial Dignitary x 2
Thrawn
R7
Mas Amedda
Ugnaught Demolitionist
Rodian Brute
Jagged Fel
Ozzel

Kris Soehnlin
Sometimes I Fall to Pieces
Royal City Plaza

Nom Anor
Vong Droid Hunter x 2
Momaw Nadon
Vong Hunter
R7 x 2
Vong Worker x 15
Ugnaught Demolitionist

Mike Steves
Mandingolaurians
Smuggler's Base

Boba Fett
Jaster Mareel
Lobot
Rohlan Dyre
Mandalorian Scout
Mandalorian CIO
Mouse
Ugnaught Demolitionist

Adam Eosh
Metal
Bothan Spynet

Battle Droid x 3
Security Battle Droid x 2
IG 86 x 3
Battle Droid Officer
R7 x 2
HK 47 Assassin Droid
Gen Grievous, Droid Army Commander

Nason Soehnlin
-none-
Ravaged Base

Ugnaught Demolitionist
Mouse x 5
Exar Kun DFS
Darth Zannah
Darth Revan Sith Lord
Naga Sadow

Joe Peters
Evil Agents
Ravaged Base

Darth Vader AoE
Thrawn
Admiral Pellaeon
Lobot Clo
Ozzel
501st Stormtrooper x 4
Mas Amedda
R7
Imperial Dignitary

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 7:41 pm 
Really Cool Alien from a Cantina
Really Cool Alien from a Cantina

Great to hear how everything went! Huge turnout, lots of great players, improved software (please don't be shy about sharing that...), and a whole bunch of new and interesting squads.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 7:45 pm 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

I added the pics of our 2 previews to my Facebook page with the regional pics.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 9:21 pm 
Third Jedi from the Left
Third Jedi from the Left

Here's brief play report for my 3rd place Mace sqaud

1st round: Bye

2nd: Vs. Solo Charge
I've found this is an easy match up for Mace. I stayed in gambit while he decided on what to do. Mara was unable to do anything significant, Mace then defeated her. Anakin came in with unleash the force, all my jedi saved (with a roll of 15 each coincidentally). Mace then ran up to Ganner and Han and took them both out. 2-0

3rd: Vs Naboo Trooper Deathshot (T-virus troopers)
I mainly hid behind my beefy characters' high defense. Mace was able to get to Yularen and kill him, but he won init and ran his other commanders away. Gowk eventually force pushed a total of 5 troopers (with salacious crumb adjacent to 2 to turn of their CEs) so he took some damage due to a crit. I then healed with Evazan and used Figrin to draw fire. It ended up being a much closer game than I thought it would be due to me forgetting the troopers had double deathshots. 3-0

4th: Vs Jason's Mace in your Face
I won map and he used his Mace to take out Ponda and my Foul. My Mace then got 2 crits on his Mace, thus defeating him. He was able to do some damage with Skyguy, but I was able to use Gowk's soresu to reduce damage. His scrubs actually ended up hurting Mace the most due to crits and momentum, so I ended up having to basically hide Mace for a while, but I eventually pulled off the win. 4-0

5th: Vs Matt's Weir squad
First, double bubbles hurt. Second Mace failed Homicial Surgery, even with rerolls. That was bad. I was initially doing well in the match, he rolled a 1 for init which let me kill a Stormie before it could do nasty things to my squad. But then Mace took the 30 from the surgery, I forgot Tarkin had 50 hp, Foul rolled poorly to attack, and Mace failed to crit Thrawn. Matt's squad is very versatile and can really put the hurt on and he played it very well. 4-1

Semi-finals: vs Jason again
Since he can get Mace in there first round I knew I had little choice but to hope Mace could crit at the start of round 2 before he died. He didn't. And since Jason's Mace could do 30 dmg a hit vs my Mace only doing 20 he took my Mace out first. I couldn't recover from that deficit and he played very prudently thus winning the game through some smart choices (like pushing Gowk away from R2 with force push 2). 4-2

Thanks to Jim for organizing and running the tournament very efficiently. And thanks to Will for creating the software. It definitely help to keep things running smoothly.

And congrats to Matt and his squad, proving that Storm Commandos can win a regional.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 10:33 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

The biggest thing about Spry's squad is he has 4 dudes that can do 120 damage at a resonable attack. Thats a lot of damage. If you manage to work around the Commados then you run right into Zann who can drop a weakened character at Initiative fairly easily.

Team Atlanta still going strong! Nicely done Matt.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 1:37 pm 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

Ok bear with me, let’s see if I can do a play report justice. For this event I ran my squad I aptly named “Weir”thering the Storm, and as you’ll see it had to weather the storm of Mace all day lol.
The squad is as follows:
Grand Admiral Thrawn
Tyber Zann
General Weir
Imperial Governor Tarkin
Moff Nyna Calixte
Storm Commando x 2
Admiral Pellaeon
Mas Amedda
Ugnaught demolitionist x 2
Map: Throne Room

Round One vs. Eric Larson (Engineer) with Mace to the face
This game started off pretty high octane. I elected to bring in 2 Brutes and a Gran as my reinforcements with TYber Zann, and dropped Nyna for a 3rd Commando. End of round 1 I move up a brute, swap in my lone unactivated Storm Commando and run another 12 squares into gambit where I had a clean no cover shot on Foul to start round 2. As round 2 starts, I win initiative thanks to Thrawn and Storm Commando 1 Double +Deadeye on Foul. Hit, Hit, Hit, defense, Hit, result Dead Foul. General Skywalker then kills that commando. Mace then comes down the top hallway with R2 and Panaka, , Mace gets hit by Zann an chooses to go after the unactivated commando, then kills commando #2 that turn and then swaps back. Commando 3 attacks kills R2, damages Panaka. Round 4 Anakin comes in, eats 90 from Weir, and Mace kills Zann before being swapped to safety, can’t remember if he got Pellaeon in that game. Commando #3 kills Panaka and now Mace and Anakin are in retreat mode. I roll a 1 start of round 5 and he gets Anakin out of harms way. Somewhere in the Weir has put damage on Mace to take him down to 20. Anyways Anakin and Mace are at 10 and 20HP respectively. I run an uggie to the door, swap in uggie #2, blow said door, move, win init blow the other door where they would hide and Thrawn , Commando 3, and Weir chase down Mace and Sky. Mace kills #3, and then Weir manages to finish it off.
Result 1-0, 3 point win.

Round 2 vs Death Shot Naboo Troopers.
I see lots and lots of troopers and decide for some reason I need Ozzel, so I drop Nyna for him (bad choice). Round 1 he tows up a trooper that then comes out and drops 30 on one of my Storm Commandos, I swap him out to a safer point and then kill that trooper with another Commando. Round 2 he rolls a 20 brings in 3 more troopers and a diplomat. I kill 3 troopers and he kills most of my scrubs with the death shots. Round 3 He’s forward now and pretty well in my face, he brings in the diplomats which take away stealth and both commando 1 and 2 are killed. Zann gets 2 more Commandos, he swaps in Plo, Weir attacks and is only able to drop 60. I take init, Zann misses his shots, dies to Plo, then Weir kills 2 commandos and dies. Round 5 he gets Tarkin and Mas, leaving Thrawn, time is called mid-round result loss. 1-1 3 Points

Round 3 I am against Lou Vasilion (lou) with Mace in the Face toting an Ug.
This time I elect to bring in the 3rd Commando as I did in game one. We play on Cantina and Lou sets up in the corner by the hallway connecting both sides. I set up opposite him so I can get engaged quickly. He comes down the hallway with Skywalker at point, Weir attacks and misses 2 shots, so Skywalker takes 60 has 40 left. He swaps in Mace for Skywalker, Foul lifts Mace and brings him to my house of pain. Mace brings his own house of pain and kills Weir turn 1, I’m thinking Game Over, but it doesn’t end. I put 40 on Mace with the commandos and Zann. Round 2, Zann attacks Mace for 40, misses the 2nd shot. Mace then comes in to attack Zann, and rolls hit, hit, one. Thanks to the bubble he can’t reroll so Zann has 20 left. Now Lou ends up making a costly mistake end of round 2. Instead of going after Zann who is almost dead, he elects to go after Pellaeon with Skywalker and kills him. Commando’s shoot, commanders shoot, no more damage is dealt. Round 3 I pray I don’t get a 1 for init. I don’t and I take it. Bear in mind that Mace and Anakin are below half health and thus susceptible to Zann’s Merciless. Zann shoots Mace and I use Thrawn and Tarkin to combine fire needing anything but 1, hit, dead Mace, 2nd shot from Tarkin’s CE I shoot Anakin, combine with a commando, hit dead Anakin. Game dramatically shifts. Foul comes in attacks until going down to Commando’s along with R2. Lou then runs everything out to ensure I didn’t have to chase him for the 3 point win.
Result: Win 2-1 6pts.

Round 4 I play against a Revan, Maul, and Kaan swap squad, on my map.
Once again I bring in the 2 Brutes, Gran, and dump Nyna for the 3rd Commando. Dueling Master Tactician is always fun. Round 1 I outactivate, swap in Weir and kill Gha Nackt. Win init round 2 and kill a mouse also and the retreat to the force bubble, so now I have a good activation edge. He counts 20 squares and runs Revan all the way up to Weir and swaps in Maul who Rages thanks to being out of the bubble and kills Weir and a Storm Commando. The other 2 commandos put 80 on Maul, and Zann does his Merciless shooting and kills him. He moves up Kaan end of round 2 and Revan is back at the back needing to run a ways to get to the fray. Round 3 I win init and Zann doubles on Kaan dropping him to 10Hp. He runs in at Zann and uses Backlash to put 40 on him. Storm Commando 2 kills Kaan who can’t get any benefit from Thought Bomb thanks to Pelleaon. Storm Commando 3 chips away at Revan and get 40 on him. Round 4 he wins init and kills my 2nd commando. I then run my Gran adjacent to Revan, swap in the 3rd Commando and put 40 more on him, dropping him to the magic number. Zann misses his 2 shots and I kill most of his scrubs with my commanders. Round 5 I win initiative and Zann attacks Revan putting the 60 on him and he concedes having the Sid-o-gram and 2 mice left.
Result: Win 3-1, 9 points, and now I’m feeling confident about top 4.

Round 5 is the matchup I’ve been agonizing about for a couple of weeks, which is Mace and GOWK because of the high defense and the lower attack values of my squad. I play against Josh Hinkle (hinkbert). Again I elect my same reserves and same Pellaeon trick. Round 1 I get a Storm Commando in line with Ponda Baba and shoot. Round 2 I win init and take down Ponda Baba, and the Commando is killed by Mace, as expected. I swap in Weir well outside of Mace’s Range and put 30 on Mace out of 4 shots. I move Commando 2 into position for the init. Round 3 I roll the dreaded one and Mace kills Commando #2, so I’m thinking great here we go again. But then a miracle happens, Evazan goes to repair Mace rolls a 1, reroll 2, reroll 1, Mace takes 30. GOWK moves in and becomes engaged and Tyber Zann puts 40 on him through SSM thanks to the bubble. Foul moves in also to begin attacking doctrine of fear becomes HUGE in this game. Round 4 I win init and shoot at GOWK with Commando 3, who puts another 60 through leaving him at 20 but he makes the SSM saves to keep him alive. Foul attacks Tarkin but thanks to Doctrine of fear misses one attack leaving Tarkin at 30. Weir unloads and shatters poor Foul’s spirits with 120 damage. This time Dr. E is successful and Mace is healed leaving him with 120 HP. He then runs up to Tarkin to end the round. Round 5 I take init and kill GOWK with Zann. Mace kills Tarkin and runs around to where he is adjacent to Thrawn. Weir shoots and sticks him with another 60, leaving him at 60HP. I block out Evazan who took grenades damage earlier so he can’t get to Mace without an AoO, so he kills the brute instead. Initiative happens and I roll another 1, so Mace triples Thrawn, no crits therefore Thrawn remains with 20HP. Weir finishes off Mace and he concedes.
Result 4-1 12 Points, top seed Finals. Side note I mentioned above I was feeling confident about top 4, turns out I needed to win the last match or be out.

Semifinals vs Gerry(darphnader) and his Vong Squad, he wins map and we play on Asteroid base and I set up on the side with the main door to the center room. He elects to copy the swap, I use my same reserve tactics as I normally do. Round 1 I swap some stuff around and charge most of my squad into the gambit area to be protected by Doctrine of Fear to help with the Qednak. Storm Commando 1 kills a worker. I win init and kill off a 2nd worker and the Qednak comes in and attacks the commando who makes some saves and takes 10. He then gets AoO on the Qed and puts 20 on it. This forces Gerry to attack the commando with an Ossus Guardian who fails to kill him. Weir swaps in and kills the OG with his 120 damage shots., and then Gerry kills the survivor Commando with Shai and swaps to safety. Gerry moves his squad forward and then we trade a few more shots. He positions his Yun Yammaka fanatic to run into my squad next round. Round 3 I think I kill another worker early and then he opens the door with his Qednak and runs the Fanatic forward to kill Weir. After AoO’s he takes 20 then attacks Weir, thanks again to doctrine of fear he misses both attacks and Weir kills him. I then swap Zann up to where he can see the Qednak and kill him. His remaining Ossus guardian runs in to the room at the bottom and my Storm Commando’s chip away at him. Round 4 I kill the Ossus with a commando and he just spins his stuff. Time is called and we have to finish the round. I swap Weir in for a brute and kill Shai and its over. On to the Finals!

Finals vs Jason K (urbanjedi) with Mace to the face for the 3rd time.
First round is mostly positioning and R2 locks a door keeping my Storm Commando from getting to him. So I swap in the commando and blow the door. Round 2 I roll a 1 and he takes it and moves Panaka up to bodyguard his big guns swapping the Spaarti and a Brute. Commando runs in and shoots R2, missing 1, hitting 1, 10 left. So I use the 2nd commando to finish R2 and then kill a brute. Anakin kills that commando. He runs Foul down the hallway with Mace at my squad and gives up a series of AoO’s to base both Thrawn and Weir in hopes of a Crit. Mace takes 80 on the AoO train and kills Weir, thankfully no crits and Thrawn alive. Thrawn shoots Mace, swaps Zann in for a no cover shot, Zann combines with most of my squad and kills Mace. Brute walks up and puts 10 on Foul which actually turns out to be very important. Round 3 I win init and a Storm Commando opens on Foul putting 60 on him. Anakin runs in to attack and takes my Storm Commando down to 10HP thanks to a missed roll because of Doctrine of Fear. Foul provokes an AoO from the brute and because my brute is considered Zann Consortium kills Foul with Merciless from Zann. I kill more Scrubs and drop some damage on Anakin with the 3rd commando that hadn’t gone yet. Round 4 I win init and shoot Anakin with Zann, putting him at 30HP thanks to a missed roll. Anakin kills the one Commando and puts 30 on the 2nd one before being swapped back. I run a scrub down the hall and swap in Zann for the initiative shots. I win and Zann hits Panaka once, misses the 2nd and Anakin and Panaka combine to take down Zann. I get the commanders down the hall and kill Panaka, trapping Anakin in Thrawn’s Force Bubble. Round 5 Tarkin shoots after the won initiative and misses, Anakin comes in and hits Thrawn for 60. I kill the Spaarti with Pelleaon and then Thrawn shoots and misses Anakin, I swap a Commando for Tarkin and run up Mas. Commando shoots misses both and we go to init. Round 6 I am praying for not a 1. It is not a 1 and the commando goes combining with Tarkin on the first shot killing Anakin, then shooting Mas and killing him, thus winning the PA regional for me in what was a really close match. I limped out of that last match with 10HP Commando, 20HP Thrawn, Full Health Pellaeon , Tarkin, and Mas.

I want to say thanks to each and everyone who attended because it was a blast. Special thanks to Jim and Charlie for hosting it, and making it a Class A event.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 2:04 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

Thanks for the write-up Matt. And congrats on your victory! That Zann/Weir is a really powerful combo.

It's funny how the meta works, since evading and accurate-shooting Rebels would cause real troubles for the Imps, but the Rebs don't show up because of the threat of Bastilla...who didn't show up. :)

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 8:15 pm 
Third Jedi from the Left
Third Jedi from the Left

Wow! I didn't realize you faced 4 Mace squads. Extra good job on that then.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 8:39 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

hinkbert wrote:

Are you kidding? It is tailor made to destroy Melee squads. He couldn't have asked for a better line-up to face.

Not taking away from Matt's squad or play - which were both top notch, but the way you said it makes it sound like he overcame a bad match-up 4 times. The reality is that the match-up favored him heavily each time. He lost to the only shooter squad he faced.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 8:41 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Weeks wrote:

Atlanta is the biggest city on Earth apparently. It spans several states according to you guys. ;)

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 8:50 pm 
Third Jedi from the Left
Third Jedi from the Left

TimmerB123 wrote:
hinkbert wrote:

Are you kidding? It is tailor made to destroy Melee squads. He couldn't have asked for a better line-up to face.

Not taking away from Matt's squad or play - which were both top notch, but the way you said it makes it sound like he overcame a bad match-up 4 times. The reality is that the match-up favored him heavily each time. He lost to the only shooter squad he faced.

Taylor-made as it might be, it still has to be annoying to face similar squads repeatedly.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 8:53 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

hinkbert wrote:
TimmerB123 wrote:
hinkbert wrote:

Taylor-made as it might be, it still has to be annoying to face similar squads repeatedly.

I guess that's true. Much less annoying that it's repeatedly a squad you can beat than the opposite.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 7:15 am 
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice

TimmerB123 wrote:
Weeks wrote:

Atlanta is the biggest city on Earth apparently. It spans several states according to you guys. ;)

hahahaha so true.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 7:49 am 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

jhc36 wrote:
TimmerB123 wrote:
Weeks wrote:

hahahaha so true.

Ya'll are just jealous you don't have black ATL polos and therefore aren't on the team. :P

"You can't per aspera ad astra unless there's some aspera in front of your astra. And that means sometimes the aspera gets you." - Donald X. Vaccarino

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 11:11 am 
Major Tierce
Major Tierce

I'll see if I can remember how thing went. I played MAce in yer Face aka Hulk Smash as my squad
Mace
Foul
Panaka
Skyguy
R2
Mas
R7
Spaarti
4x rodians

Rd 1 Mike Steves with Mandos
Mike was one of the newer players but still had a fairly formidable squad with accurate and Death Shot. I got to Boba in rd 1 and dumped 90 on him. Won init and finished him off. Then ran around pounding other stuff. Had to call Jim over because we had about 20 mins left and were only just starting rd 3. Also had a rule question about cloaked as Mike didn't understand that I could shoot past it. Mike sped up some and I finished him off with about 3 mins left. 3pts

Rd 2 Paul Steves with Revan/Maul/Kaan
Note to self. Helps to read the cards of your opp. He runs up Revan and I absorb his Assault. He then swaps in Maul and Rages and has a chance to kill me if he rolls nuts. He doesn't even get average and Mace has only taken 40 I think. I give up the AoO to get momentum Crit out on Maul and swap out. Carry in next round and End adjacent to Kaan and Revan. I crit on Kaan and hit him again to finish him, thinking I could absorb the Bomb. Oops. Mace Dies but fortunately Revan fails the save as well and takes 80 so Ani can finish him off without too much problem. This game takes around 5 mins total. 6 pts

Rd 3 vs Gerry
I tote into his backfield to take out Nem Yim and Advance Agent Officer and then just play keep away. I end up about 1-2 rounds from being able to get the full win. 8 pts.

Rd 4 vs Hinkbert
Josh does a great job writing up both our matches. I take out Foul and Ponda relying on either a won init or that his mace won't kill mine in 1 act. Wrong, Crit/Crit dead mace and I have to scramble to even make it marginally close. 8 pts

Rd 5 vs Eric Kimmel and double death shot troopers
I am able to get to panaka in rd 1 and eat some damage to do it, but it cuts his damage by alot. I swap in Sky guy in rd 2 and take out Yularen so now he is shooting at +5. He brings up Plo to try and finish off Mace but Panaka takes the hit with bodyguard and then MAce Crits out his Plo. By this time Foul has force lept to take out Mas and we are basically in clean up mode. 11pts.

Semis vs Hinkbert again
This time neither of our Maces crit and my 30 damage vs his 20 is what swings it. I do have a nice move where I use ani to push his GOWK away from his carriers so he has to spend another rd getting set up. Time is called with him having GOWK left with 30 hp and his rodian diplomat and maybe one other minor guy and I had Mace (about half) Skyguy (30 left) Foul (full) and some of my scrubs.

Finals vs Spry.
Spry pretty much covered this matchup great. I took the chance on a crit to try and kill weir and Thrawn but didn't roll one so just took out weir. That was pretty much my one chance to win this matchup as 5 guys who all can deal 120+ damage in an activation is very difficult to overcome.

Overall I had a blast and I think Mace has a couple very good squad types and some good matchups but isn't the super power that some have claimed him to be.

Thanks again Jim for such a great tourney.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 11:30 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

urbanjedi wrote:
Overall I had a blast and I think Mace has a couple very good squad types and some good matchups but isn't the super power that some have claimed him to be.

Yeah - was this the point of the MI crew? To prove Mace is Tier 1.5? 3 guys playing the exact same squad (give or take an uggie). Interesting.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 12:31 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Yeah, I was surprised to see that.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 3:21 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

TimmerB123 wrote:
urbanjedi wrote:

Yeah - was this the point of the MI crew? To prove Mace is Tier 1.5? 3 guys playing the exact same squad (give or take an uggie). Interesting.

It happens all the time in Magic so seeing it here really isn't all that surprising.

[===0=]=============>

Sentinel for Life!

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 3:49 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

audrisampson wrote:
TimmerB123 wrote:
urbanjedi wrote:

It happens all the time in Magic so seeing it here really isn't all that surprising.

Yes, but we are NOT Magic.

I think much more highly of our community.