logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 484 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 25  Next

Post subject: Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:29 pm 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Its ok, you can tell us that you really want to play a Panda. we won't laugh ender :P

As far as names go for your guild, there are a ton of guilds with words like Knight and Guardian in them already. It might be a good idea to stay away from them to have a more unique approach, and not one that blends in as much.

Also because most those words are either the names of classes, Advanced classes, or Specializations.

Spoiler: show
Good picture for several reasons if you look close.

Bounty Hunter, but in Smuggler style gear. that big yellow thing is what it looks like when you can turn in a quest to an NPC.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:30 am 
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire

Dimetrodon wrote:
Its ok, you can tell us that you really want to play a Panda. we won't laugh ender :P

lol, Did oyu read the Review of the reviews link I posted? There's a lsit of cons brought up by each of the negative reviews including one brought up by the writer of the article.

Things i've said in the past that got dismissed and now are being talked about:
restricting formats by set
Some chosing not to play the game if and when another company picks it up without the current mechanics

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:37 am 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

I've read all the reviews, including the one you posted. There are so many opinions out there (to be expected), but you'll really have to decide for yourself. I personally know two hardcore WoW players who are jumping into TOR with both feet, and never returning to WoW. And there are other WoW players who will never touch TOR.

The problem with fan-boys is that they won't look objectively at the game but will only see what they want to see...the result is that they blind themselves. The problem with nay-sayers is the same...and so is the result.

Therefore, if you're curious (which you seem to be), I think the best thing you can do is to ignore the various reviews and buy the game, play it for a month, and then see what you think. :)

EDIT: And while you're at it, you're welcome to join our guild. :)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:04 pm 
Big Bad Brad
Big Bad Brad

Dimetrodon wrote:

As far as names go for your guild, there are a ton of guilds with words like Knight and Guardian in them already. It might be a good idea to stay away from them to have a more unique approach, and not one that blends in as much.

Except in mine it predates Star Wars altogether...Still won't work anyway. We're getting so far off the beaten path it seems like deleting Gamers may have been the wrong move.

Perhaps Celestial Warriors is our best option, especially since I have no desire to any character such. It simply replaces Knights with a less game specific term and there is no greater synonym for LightSide than Celestial...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:01 pm 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

ender_ wrote:
Dimetrodon wrote:

lol, Did oyu read the Review of the reviews link I posted? There's a lsit of cons brought up by each of the negative reviews including one brought up by the writer of the article.

I read it and I have to agree with Tint on this one. Fanboys and the naysayers blind themselves to a degree on how they view the game. I've said before that I view the game from a very neutral standpoint, but regardless of that I hype it up anyway. I just want it to succeed where all other MMO's more or less fail.

One of the major problems with some people is that this game is nothing like Galaxies. Some expect the game to be something it is not, and has never intended to be.

Another thing I dislike is reviews calling it a WoW clone. It is an MMO, they all have the same basic structure... but all anyone knows is WoW I guess...

Most the cons people complain about are all staples of MMO's since the beginning. In particular anything related to a grind or long leveling. Don't like it? don't play it then haha. simple.

The simple truth is no matter how similar it is to other MMO's it has a whole lot that is different about it.

PROS

- Class storylines, and the cinematic questing experience as a whole. (lots of choices and decisions)
- The fully voiced characters and NPC's. lots of non quest dialogue and conversations out there if u click the right NPC's
- Companion characters, and the unique crafting and profession systems, as well as their own stories too.
- Flashpoints(dungeons) that are scripted and have storylines and cut scenes as well as multiple paths and endings.
- Quests that have multiple endings or choices. (sometimes special rewards if you do things right)
- The Advanced Class system which creates a technical 8 classes per faction. They are a lot different that you might expect.
- Class quests and group quests are usually in instanced areas, so that you can do them more easily, and not fight other players for kills or quest items
- Space Battles are a nice bonus, they have no real part for the main game. just extra nonsense for fun and the star wars feel
- Banking, Auction Houses, and Mailboxes are very accessible with tons of locations in game. Including on your own spaceship.
- Your spaceship is also a rest area, so you will always gain rested experience easily when logging out, if you so choose.

CONS

- No client for MAC computers
- UI customization issues. A lot of the UI can be modified to your liking, but you cannot move where actions bars, portraits and the chat log are. Not a major issue, but that is what addons are for when they come out. To be honest learning a UI is not a bad thing. It is not like you get to customize the HUD or UI in a shooter or most games anyway..
- No support for in game Macros at launch. They said we will get them post launch
- Guilds are just a place to be right now. But all games have kind of been that way really. WoW only recently implemented guild perks and leveling. Not a real Con, but because WoW has it people expect it. Bioware has said that Post Launch they will enhance Guild functions, in specific adding Guild Banks to the game. (unless it makes launch)
- Space Combat is a rail shooter, it is most commonly compared to Star Fox. In truth as stated in the Pro's it is just a bonus feature to the game with no real purpose other than occasional enjoyment. But most people are mad that it is not open flight, or player vs. player. But it is a bonus feature anyway, only there for recreation, not to level you.
- While questing, sometimes you get a bonus quest. Generally it is a kill quest, involving whatever mobs are in your area. But sometimes if you turn in the main quest(s) for that area the bonus will go away, and even if you needed just one more kill you get no credit. I dislike this because it is not stated that you must finish it before turning other things in. This might just be a bug in the current game builds though. Even if it is not. It was just a bonus for experience anyway, no other reward. Not a big deal.

- I can't think of much else to be honest as far as Cons go, but the only thing I didn't mention is similarities to WoW, because they are similarities to all MMO games. The structure of these games with a Tank, Healer, and Damage classes, then questing to gain experience and level up is a basic design of MMo's and RPG's. no need to comment on it as that just is what it is.

Most my cons aren't really anything wrong with the game either, just things that people nitpick or complain about. I have been in the Beta for just shy of a year, and I can tell you now that most of the testers talking in the games general chat channels have very little bad to say about the game. The only stuff people complain about are mostly basic UI features, or class issues, which are irrelevant in a way. They complain about changes from previous builds.

The media reviewers are limited to Republic, and haven't tested as long as some of us in the actual program. Trust me now when I say the game has come a long way in the last year. No matter how similar to other games, it really is in a league of its own. When it finally launches, that is when it will become clear that it is no clone.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:38 pm 
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire

Thanks Dimetrodon,thats what I've been wanting from you lol, I'm going to wait for a free trial to try it out like I did with WoW and make choice based on that, and please do keep me infromed of the Guild stuff as well that if I dod make the move to add TOR to my lsit of monthly payments :lol: I'll know which sever to go on and who to tlak to get into the guild.

Things i've said in the past that got dismissed and now are being talked about:
restricting formats by set
Some chosing not to play the game if and when another company picks it up without the current mechanics

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:51 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

I really like the Cobra Commander helmut the Imperial Agent can get.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:28 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

The_Celestial_Warrior wrote:
Dimetrodon wrote:

Except in mine it predates Star Wars altogether...Still won't work anyway. We're getting so far off the beaten path it seems like deleting Gamers may have been the wrong move.

Perhaps Celestial Warriors is our best option, especially since I have no desire to any character such. It simply replaces Knights with a less game specific term and there is no greater synonym for LightSide than Celestial...

"Celestial Warriors" works for me....

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:43 pm 
Big Bad Brad
Big Bad Brad

http://www.swtor.com/guilds/249728/celestial-warriors

They wouldn't go into much detail about Celestial Knights, but from the sounds of it, it may be an NPC organization fo some sort....

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:39 pm 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

ender_ wrote:
Thanks Dimetrodon,thats what I've been wanting from you lol, I'm going to wait for a free trial to try it out like I did with WoW and make choice based on that, and please do keep me infromed of the Guild stuff as well that if I dod make the move to add TOR to my lsit of monthly payments :lol: I'll know which sever to go on and who to tlak to get into the guild.

Some of the problem is on my end not viewing similarities to other games as a major issue. It is the first step to making the game accessible and user friendly. There are plenty of things to set it apart like I said too.

Hopefully they do have a trial sooner than not. I don't imagine it will be at launch though. maybe a month or two afterwards. But I say just take the gamble and jump right into it. While wow might be fun it is only a matter of time till it takes a dirt nap. If Star Wars doesn't kick it around much, then Diablo 3 certainly will.

I wouldn't tell you to totally quit it, but hey, sometimes a break is nice from it too. Just don't renew for more time when it runs out and try star wars. might be the best or easiest way. I only took a few small breaks from wow, and they were lovely. that is until July this year... permanently inactive account now haha.

They wouldn't go into much detail about Celestial Knights, but from the sounds of it, it may be an NPC organization fo some sort....

Haven't seen anything involving it, but that is interesting. Generally the policy would be to not allow names involving Major and sometimes minor NPC's but a reference to an in game group not being allowed is odd.

imagine in wow if people couldn't use the word Horde in their guild name. That would be some ruckus right there.

Sithborg wrote:
I really like the Cobra Commander helmut the Imperial Agent can get.

Yeah that last armor set in the video reminds me of him too. Agents have some pretty cool sets, a lot of them looking more military than not too. Which is certainly fitting.

Playing an Agent isn't at the top of my list, but I do have to be honest and tell you that they have the best class storyline early on for the Sith faction imo. It feels the most real I think. But... still I must play a Bounty Hunter first. :D

hmm is there anything you guys want to know more about or see?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:10 pm 
Big Bad Brad
Big Bad Brad

Dimetrodon wrote:

Haven't seen anything involving it, but that is interesting. Generally the policy would be to not allow names involving Major and sometimes minor NPC's but a reference to an in game group not being allowed is odd.

imagine in wow if people couldn't use the word Horde in their guild name. That would be some ruckus right there.

It was a very very generic post. I may be wrong, but if it's the EXACT name of something in game, then yeah, I can see it not being allowed.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:34 pm 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Another Con sort of.

RP elements cannot be interacted with.

You can't click on a chair and have your character sit in it, that sort of thing.

I imagine it is just not implemented in the beta. most of the emotes don't have animations yet even. half do, half don't type deal. It is curious though considering the game is not far off. but something to keep in mind is that my build is well behind the in house builds.

still, it is something I just remembered and thought I would mention. It's really only a con for a specific player base too...

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:14 am 
Jedi Battlemaster
Jedi Battlemaster

Darn... I was really looking forward to spending hours... sitting in chairs. Maybe one day..

Join the FOLLY! Online casual League, find out more here: FOLLY

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:10 am 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

lol, the Role Players are pretty uppity about it.

For a long while most of the graphics for the armor was all place holders, and they were mad at the variety. Hard to please everyone in general, but I think most of these people do forget this is beta.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 4:01 pm 
Big Bad Brad
Big Bad Brad

So far the Guild is at 50% Jedi Knight and 50% troopers!!!! Though, with the reboot that really only translates to 1 Jedi Knight and 1 Trooper...let's get those applications back in!!!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:17 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Personally, I found WoW to be fairly boring these days. Everything about the game is centered around gear acquisition, getting better armor/weapons/etc. There was a time when other things in the game provided a distraction, but questing is no longer not only fun but also irrelevant if you want to play the game the way it was intended. Fighting other players can be a nice distraction but even that lasts for only so long and also requires you to have specific armor that allows you to compete. You have to change it when you start playing the environment based dungeons/quests, and people are very fickle and rude. I know some would say, "Well that's what happens when you play with children but I know adults on that game who behave more childishly than any kid I've ever run into."

I think it's funny that people are slamming TOR for not being more like WoW at a time when WoW is rapidly losing its appeal (not to mention its customer base) because of the gear-dependent, group-dependent structure it has embraced.

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:01 pm 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

WoW was always all about the gear and grouping though. All they did was make gear easier to get as well as raiding and dungeons significantly easier, which causes a giant loss in any sense of accomplishment. It cut down the time required to actually get anything done in a huge way. Right now in a week you can go from full greens to full raid gear easily.

All that game has left to keep people going is achievements and special mounts lol.

Thats my extremely short version after reading what you wrote Boris, and thinking it over. :P

Spoiler: show
The current flashier desktop icon

:)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:02 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

So far the Guild is at 50% Jedi Knight and 50% troopers!!!! Though, with the reboot that really only translates to 1 Jedi Knight and 1 Trooper...let's get those applications back in!!!!!!

What exactly is our new guild name? I'm ready to send my application in. Yeah, and I'm planning to be a Jedi Knight Sentinel (Unlimited dual-wielding DPS power! "It's over 9000!")

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:14 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Finally got around to pre-ordering this. I just sent my application to Celestial Warriors as a Smuggler.

"You can't per aspera ad astra unless there's some aspera in front of your astra. And that means sometimes the aspera gets you." - Donald X. Vaccarino

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:40 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

Woohoo! Now we've got more than just Jedi Knights and Troopers! :P I'm doing a Dual-Wielding Jedi Knight Sentinel to start...after that it'll be either a Consular or Trooper, depending on what the guild needs most.

I found the guild too, so it's all good.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 484 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 25  Next