logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 484 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 25  Next

Post subject: Star Wars: The Old Republic
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:06 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

http://www.swtor.com/info/?sourceid=ea2445

Bioware launched the first site for the new MMORPG! Hopefully I still have a PC that can play this think when it comes out. It has been a long time since I have had any reason to be excited about a PC game.

Post subject: Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:17 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Yeah, I poked around the site for a little while yesterday. It definitely looks interesting. I just don't have time to play MMORPGs unfortunately. If they are able to create a game that's easy for non-gamers to pick up, then I might be able to convince my wife to play. She liked the idea of SW Galaxies, but the grinding aspect of it didn't interest her. So, we'll see how this one goes. Supposedly it sounds like you should be able to do the majority of the game all by yourself, so that may draw in more people who might not normally play an MMO too. Should be interesting to follow the development, for sure!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:36 am 
Warmaster
Warmaster

While I like the idea I have neither the time or money to play a MMO.

I just wish they had done a KOTOR3. When it comes to computer games I'm not interested in gaming with other people, so unless there is a solo player option where you can ignore other people then I certainly won't bother.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:06 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

I'm not sure how bioware is going to acomplish the goals in the production of this game, but I'm optimistic it will be a great game. I really sincerely hope it is a free online play MMO and not a pay us monthly one. That will really be a deterrent for me to get int this game, and i think also for the people (fans of KOTOR 1 and 2) who may be unsure of what to think of the new game. I like the idea of real time strategy and the new fighting system. Suppousedly it is going to be like the same system of combat used in Jedi Knight 2: Jedi Outcast. This sounds really good to me since I love Jedi Outcast! Lots of people are mad it is going to be a MMO, but I say "hey lets give it a chance" and support the game. It just may turn out to be the best star wars game ever! :D

Aliit ori'shya tal'din ("Family is more than Blood")
To learn Mandalorian, go to http://www.karentraviss.com/html/mando.htm.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:53 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

I recently started playing an MMO and don't have time or money for a second one.

And no, I'm not giving up the one I'm doing JUST for this.

I'm with the guy who said, or as I would put it: "WTF? Where is KotoR 3?"

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:24 am 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Grand Moff Boris wrote:
I recently started playing an MMO and don't have time or money for a second one.

Have you gone to the link Boba52 gave at the begining of the forum for the info on TOR? This game will not be your typical MMO, and it seems to me it could barely be called an MMO. Most of the game is played with just yourself and your companion character. There are only a few instances where you have to join with other friends online to accomplish some missions. The team developeing the game is really bent on developing a good story and this makes it different than all other MMO's out there.

Of course, I have asked the question to "Where is KOTOR 3 then?, and frankly I'm not sure why they decided MMO format, but it's not your typical MMO, so I guess they are really trying to do something new and creative with the MMO genre and something new for KOTOR. It looks like an awesome game, and I cant wait to play it :D

Aliit ori'shya tal'din ("Family is more than Blood")
To learn Mandalorian, go to http://www.karentraviss.com/html/mando.htm.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:15 pm 
Ugnaught Master!
Ugnaught Master!

obikenobi1 wrote:
Where is KOTOR 3 then?

They already said that this MMO will be KOTOR 3-10! Yeah, I think I'll take that answer!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 5:18 am 
Warmaster
Warmaster

Concept art is nice and the screen shots look great. But I'm still not convinced. Money aside (and I won't be able to afford it) I don't want to play a multi-player game. I'm really not into that, I want a solo play game. But if WOW is anything to go on (two mates @ work are always on about it) then the major quests will require groups of players. Well if I cannot complete parts of the game on my own then it won;t interest me, so I wait to see what comes out about that.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:42 am 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

I would say they jumped on the MMO bandwagon for the same reason all the other companies have: continued income after the initial sale. It takes huge amounts of resources to develop a game and alot less to keep one going. I've played alot of MMO's over the years and I doubt highly it will be solo play, hence the name Mass Multi. It will eventually gravitate toward group play as the veteran players start to feel they deserve more for being around so long--the elitist mode. That means higher end items that can only be achieved by grouping.

The game looks promising. It's like a fixed version of SWG. When we were beta testing SWG alot of us testers said the game would be better in an era that allowed for many jedi because everyone knew the majority of the players wanted to be jedi. The game was originally advertised as being able to become one. This era is perfect for that. The story line also seems compelling. Rather than generic static missions there will be a dynamic to the story line that relates to you. The draw back to that is your story progress has no reflection on the MMO world. The unfortunate thing is it is hard to pull off the solo aspect in a MMO universe to merge them. One way I always liked was to have many designer run events. I used to play Ultima Online and the best years was when they had Seers. These were people who were paid to run long detailed scenarios for players to be involved in. There were offline sites you could read up on the back stories with event schedules so you knew when to log in. The outcomes of the stories could change the appearance of the world. If the players of a server failed to fend off a town attack that town could be over run by monsters and destroyed. Seers weren't around for long though and the game went back to generic missions or relying on player run groups for events.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:13 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Ugavine wrote:
Concept art is nice and the screen shots look great. But I'm still not convinced. Money aside (and I won't be able to afford it) I don't want to play a multi-player game. I'm really not into that, I want a solo play game. But if WOW is anything to go on (two mates @ work are always on about it) then the major quests will require groups of players. Well if I cannot complete parts of the game on my own then it won;t interest me, so I wait to see what comes out about that.

This is true (regrettably so) about WoW. If you want the best weapons and equipment, you MUST interact with other players (ie group quests, 5/10/25-man dungeons/raids, player vs. player contests, etc). Especially at the higher levels. The solo quest/crafted gear sucks by comparison. It doesn't help that most players are very fickle about doing the group stuff, if it doesn't directly benefit them in some way.

And once you hit the level cap, you really can't do anything of significance WITHOUT being in a group.

Anyway, its not enough IMO for them to pitch the game as a KotoR 3-10 without knowing that what that means. If KotoR 3-10 is meant to be a group adventure, well that is a disappointment.

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:07 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

This is for anyone who is still hesitant about TOR:

Star Wars: The Old Republic Walkthrough

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:37 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

That was interesting. The graphics were amazing (not surprisingly), and I like how they took the KotoR I and KotoR II concepts of making choices and turned it into a voice-interactive concept.

The Flashpoints thing bothered me a little bit. If the Captain of the ship said that he'd been ordered to commit a suicide run on a larger battleship, and my Sith companion suddenly ran up and attacked, why didn't I as a Bounty Hunter get a say? I mean, I realize I'm running with a Sith, but still the person in command just announced that we were assigned on a no-win mission.

I might, just might, want to intervene. Hell maybe I want to be the guy who takes the shot.... :P

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:52 pm 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

Oh man that was a cool video. I'm wondering how they can keep the content coming. I know guys who will put over 40 hours a week into a game.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:14 am 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

I heard from one of our LGS players that he plays a game online with a guy that knows someone on the DEV team. He was saying he hears they want to have a release to take advantage of Christmas sales. He also said someone posted a link to a site preordering the game and it had a fall release date. The link disappeared quickly so he wasn't sure it was legit.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:44 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

There's no way. First of all, LucasArts isn't exactly well known for hitting their initial street dates (TFU came out 10 months later than initially planned). Secondly, if they were shooting for Christmas Sales this year, they would have pre-orders available already, I would think. Lastly, LA should know by now, that the dumbest thing you can do, and something that can REALLY kill a video game, is to release something that isn't finished, and plan to fix it later. That just ticks off early customers, and people lose interest quickly, and may not ever come back.

For their own good, they need to wait till next year.

On the other hand, Bioware has pushed back Mass Effect 2 till next Spring, so there's certainly a possibility that LA talked Bioware into moving priorities around and such. I'd be surprised that we hadn't heard any official news yet though, if they were shooting for something this fall. Everything else up until now has been along the lines of "2nd half of 2010".

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:41 pm 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

That was my response as well. I can't see it coming so quickly. Another guy I know who has been following things from the initial announcement thinks it will be summer at the earliest. Anything right now would be speculation. I do remember SWG was pushed too fast out of beta. I hope it doesn't happen here as well.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:34 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBGvAJ6- ... r_embedded

Here's another Epic trailer from E3. Man, this has been going on for years lol. Let's go already!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:02 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Some great cinematic trailers. Just make a CG movie.

I have a feeling that the wait will be worth it. This is going to be my first MMO, and everything I see says that it will be awesome.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:12 pm 
One of the Sith on Malgus' Shuttle
One of the Sith on Malgus' Shuttle

Have to say, while I do enjoy seeing the CG trailer I'd much rather see a trailer filled with examples of how the game is going to play. I'm thinking of getting into it, and I've never tried an MMO before either so it's virgin territory...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:01 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

Sithborg wrote:
I have a feeling that the wait will be worth it. This is going to be my first MMO, and everything I see says that it will be awesome.

I agree. I've stayed away from MMOs in the past, but now with this amazing game on the horizon (and with no more $$ needing to be saved for SWM), I'm really looking forward to trying this one out. If any MMO would draw me in, it would have to be the Star Wars one, no question of that. And the epic scale and rich history goes a long way toward making this MMO worth it to me. I guess we'll have to see what it's like at release.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 484 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 25  Next