logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 484 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 25  Next

Post subject: Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:52 pm 
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire

i'm gonna wait and see if they offer timecards in the stores lik WoW does

Things i've said in the past that got dismissed and now are being talked about:
restricting formats by set
Some chosing not to play the game if and when another company picks it up without the current mechanics

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:13 pm 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

ender_ wrote:

I'd imagine they will have it, but I can't say they will at launch. Seems like something they will want to wait on at first. why does it matter btw?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:09 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

They do have a month after launch, with the free month with the game purchase. Still, if they were on the ball with this being the "biggest launch ever", they will have them out fairly quickly.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:55 pm 
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire

Dimetrodon wrote:
ender_ wrote:

I'd imagine they will have it, but I can't say they will at launch. Seems like something they will want to wait on at first. why does it matter btw?

It's how i do things, I get timecards for my WoW and XBL accounts. I've also decided to not get the collector's edition either,atleast not right away. I'll prbly wait a month or two after it's been out before playing it and see what the reviews are and go from there.

Some chosing not to play the game if and when another company picks it up without the current mechanics

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:54 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

Dude, it's gonna be E - P - I - C ! ! ! !

Seriously, I've played for a little bit, and I loved it. Very, very good game. :fight:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:21 pm 
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire

thereisnotry wrote:
Dude, it's gonna be E - P - I - C ! ! ! !

Seriously, I've played for a little bit, and I loved it. Very, very good game. :fight:

I want to know more than jsut the pros of the game,what are the cons of the game,let downs etc...? (beyond losing time from my life span :lol:)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:42 pm 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Knowing the final cons is hard from a beta test.

but right now the only major cons are minor UI related issues. Nothing is broken, just the lack of some features. Nothing essential, but hey.. people like icing on the cake right?

Another big complaint that pops up is a lack of identity for the Vanguard Trooper and Powertech Bounty Hunter. those 2 advanced classes need work still. To be honest Bioware is being stubborn on the design, while the testers have come up with great ideas and fixes.

Then just random stuff, giant RP communities are mad there is a guild cap of 500 members (as of right now anyway) and things like that.

The bottom line is, each class has a unique story leveling up, all the classes have unique weapon and gear design to themselves, so nobody looks the same, and the game has very balanced pvp. Pretty much a great experience all around.

If there is anything specific you would like to know as far as any possible cons go, just ask.

edit: also only other con i can think, of is that some features in the game will be available after launch. nothing essential, most of that icing I mentioned. Thats good tho, means the game gets out faster, and at a time without major competition. And we eventually get what we need anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:51 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

I just hope some of the leaked species are accurate. Maybe add one or two. Still, it sounds like I will be picking this up. Looks fun.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:27 pm 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Each Class has 5 playable species/races to choose from except for the Sith Warrior (and I think Jedi Knight) who have 4.

Spoiler attachment for the playable ones.
Spoiler: show
Human
Rattataki
Chiss
Twi'Lek
Cyborg
Miraluka
Sith Pureblood
Zabrak
Mirialan

to be honest though, the playable species are not as important to the game as you might think. It doesn't change gameplay any, just something different to look at, but once u slap a helmet or hood on.. it all looks the same anyway.

edit: and if anything is added, it won't be till after Launch, or more likely an expansion or some such.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:34 pm 
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire

Dimetrodon wrote:
to be honest though, the playable species are not as important to the game as you might think. It doesn't change gameplay any, just something different to look at, but once u slap a helmet or hood on.. it all looks the same anyway.

edit: and if anything is added, it won't be till after Launch, or more likely an expansion or some such.

so no racial ablities?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:23 am 
Big Bad Brad
Big Bad Brad

ender_ wrote:
Dimetrodon wrote:

so no racial ablities?

Yeah, that would be both odd and disappointing.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:35 am 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

Iz gona be a Sith Pureblood Jedi Knight! Oh wait, maybe that isn't one of the races for JK...nvm.

If I recall correctly, there were racial bonuses, but they just didn't have a huge impact on the game after the first few levels. And that is as it should be, since we don't want every single Jedi Consular to be a Miralian because of their amazing racial bonus, for example. That would get stale pretty quickly.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:35 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Dimetrodon wrote:

I like the window dressing of species though. Pureblood Inquisitor is all I'm happy with, really.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:07 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

ONe of my friends who is a beta tester has been taking several 30 second video captures and the game look amazing, he stopped by my desk to show them off. The all voice acting is great, the lightsaber combat is pretty cool. Your companions that you have and get to send of to do stuff like gather and build is pretty cool cause you don;t have to grind to do it on your own.

One of the things he mentioned is that it does not seem like there is alot of grind, it's all built into the missions and such. (as opposed to all the grinding I am doing with symphony to enternity right now.)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:10 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Azavander wrote:
ONe of my friends who is a beta tester has been taking several 30 second video captures and the game look amazing, he stopped by my desk to show them off. The all voice acting is great, the lightsaber combat is pretty cool. Your companions that you have and get to send of to do stuff like gather and build is pretty cool cause you don;t have to grind to do it on your own.

One of the things he mentioned is that it does not seem like there is alot of grind, it's all built into the missions and such. (as opposed to all the grinding I am doing with symphony to enternity right now.)

That's very good. I dislike grinding, but I have no problem soloing with quests to level up in MMOs. Even if it's a lot of quests, as long as I'm doing something, I'm good.

"You can't per aspera ad astra unless there's some aspera in front of your astra. And that means sometimes the aspera gets you." - Donald X. Vaccarino

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:16 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

Echo wrote:
Azavander wrote:

That's very good. I dislike grinding, but I have no problem soloing with quests to level up in MMOs. Even if it's a lot of quests, as long as I'm doing something, I'm good.

Same with me. One of the biggest draws for me is the lack-of-grind and the strong story emphasis. If it's good story, it won't feel like grind at all...it'll feel like a good movie or rpg.

And 8 stories of 200hrs +/- to play through? Woohoo!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:13 am 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

ender_ wrote:
so no racial ablities?

No racial abilities is correct. They don't want people to feel forced into playing a particular species because of a bonus. They want you to play a character because it's what you want, not what some spreadsheet determined for you. They might add something after launch, but I doubt it.

Something of note though, if you play as an alien and not a human, a lot of NPC's look down on you, or address you as such "filthy creature" and so on.

As far as grinding goes, there isn't a ton of it really. The game is based off doing missions(quests) and lots of objectives. Missions also develop well. as you complete objectives a mission will generally auto update and tell you where to advance to next. That way you aren't traveling back and forth between a quest giver all day. You really do just get to play everything out with little interruption.

I also did think of a con from the game. At Launch there is no support for MAC, just PC. A big mistake if you ask me, but it's not like you can't have a dummy windows on a MAC anyway. Hopefully they correct that soon.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:39 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

So Wookies in this game won't be pulling any arms out of their sockets.

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:18 pm 
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire

Dimetrodon wrote:
ender_ wrote:
so no racial ablities?

No racial abilities is correct. They don't want people to feel forced into playing a particular species because of a bonus. They want you to play a character because it's what you want, not what some spreadsheet determined for you. They might add something after launch, but I doubt it.

Something of note though, if you play as an alien and not a human, a lot of NPC's look down on you, or address you as such "filthy creature" and so on.

so,beyond flavor picking a race means nothing?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:04 am 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Grand Moff Boris wrote:
So Wookies in this game won't be pulling any arms out of their sockets.

depends on the wookiee :)

ender_ wrote:
so,beyond flavor picking a race means nothing?

The truth behind racial abilities is that they always cause an imbalance in the game. Some people will play what they want to anyway, but if a certain species had an overpowered racial, then the majority will pick that instead of the species they might have otherwise. Bioware wants to keep everything as equal as possible, and skipping out on racials isn't a terrible thing.

I'll ask it like this.

If you really, really want to play as a Chiss character, but the Human has the racial the jet pack super jump racial and the chiss just gets a bonus to bio-analysis. which one will you pick? Will you go with the heart or the cookie cutter race? Because most people do what benefits them, not what will please them. And that is what Bioware is avoiding.

Perhaps down the line after launch we might get racials. But it is far from certain.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 484 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 25  Next