logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 484 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 25  Next

Post subject: Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:38 am 
Big Bad Brad
Big Bad Brad

Dimetrodon wrote:
Grand Moff Boris wrote:
So Wookies in this game won't be pulling any arms out of their sockets.

depends on the wookiee :)

ender_ wrote:
so,beyond flavor picking a race means nothing?

The truth behind racial abilities is that they always cause an imbalance in the game. Some people will play what they want to anyway, but if a certain species had an overpowered racial, then the majority will pick that instead of the species they might have otherwise. Bioware wants to keep everything as equal as possible, and skipping out on racials isn't a terrible thing.

I'll ask it like this.

If you really, really want to play as a Chiss character, but the Human has the racial the jet pack super jump racial and the chiss just gets a bonus to bio-analysis. which one will you pick? Will you go with the heart or the cookie cutter race? Because most people do what benefits them, not what will please them. And that is what Bioware is avoiding.

Perhaps down the line after launch we might get racials. But it is far from certain.

WoW has racials and is not too cookie cutter if you ask me. Racials to major stats never work on MMO's as that tends to lead to a you-must-pick-this-class design, which does indeed hurt the Wookiee to some degree. However, bonuses to minor stats always seem to work well, especially professions, as often times profession is dictated more by class and not stats.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 5:43 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Keep races to appearence only. It's bad enough that they are already are cutting race options for "story" reasons. Still looking forward to more options as they come out.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:21 pm 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

The_Celestial_Warrior wrote:

WoW has racials and is not too cookie cutter if you ask me. Racials to major stats never work on MMO's as that tends to lead to a you-must-pick-this-class design, which does indeed hurt the Wookiee to some degree. However, bonuses to minor stats always seem to work well, especially professions, as often times profession is dictated more by class and not stats.

Not sure how much WoW you played, but it is absolutely cookie cutter. Depending what class you are playing there is always the perfect racial for either pvp or pve. not usually both. WoW also changes their racials frequently, which upsets the balances. there have been too many revisions to Will of the Forsaken or the basic Human racials.

It is not always about passive bonuses btw, but activated abilities which are the real tide turners.

fortunately for the people who have large pockets, you can pay to race change your character to accommodate such changes in WoW.

One of the best things about SWTOR is the departure from a lot of basic MMO standards. It is it's own game, not a bastard clone.

The story elements more than make up for the lack or race selection. Plus for all the races you cannot play, well, you probably get a companion character to make up for it...

Spoiler: show
Talz
Weequay
Jawa
Wookiee
Droids
Togruta
Cathar
Gand

and so on..

:)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:06 pm 
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire

Well thats gonna be a con for me,i want my choice of what race i play to make a difference beyond flavor

Things i've said in the past that got dismissed and now are being talked about:
restricting formats by set
Some chosing not to play the game if and when another company picks it up without the current mechanics

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:25 pm 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

what do you want it to mean then?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:45 pm 
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire

Dimetrodon wrote:

well using WoW

I have two charcters I use for hte most,one is a gnome which has the escape artist abality along with a bonus to the engineering profression and my night elf which has the shadowmeld abality along with a few other racial ablities,stuff like,a reason to do a certian class/race/profession combo beyond this looks cool

Some chosing not to play the game if and when another company picks it up without the current mechanics

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:43 pm 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

ender_ wrote:
Dimetrodon wrote:

well using WoW

I have two charcters I use for hte most,one is a gnome which has the escape artist abality along with a bonus to the engineering profression and my night elf which has the shadowmeld abality along with a few other racial ablities,stuff like,a reason to do a certian class/race/profession combo beyond this looks cool

I feel as though my cookie cutter concept is at hand.

So if the best possible combo is to play a Norwegian Leprechaun Polygamist for your Jedi Knight, you would do this instead of the species you might actually want to play as? :P

Why do people need a reason to be a certain race? Why not pick what you really want? People can't be happy just looking cool and having a ton of character design options to be unique in appearance? They need more?

This is why Bioware skipped on racial abilities. They want you to play the game, not over think it.

Something to remember too. Do not expect world of warcraft, because you will be sorely disappointed. Bioware is making their own game, not a complete clone like other companies might.

hmmm.. I suppose I'll throw this in as it might fit.

The companion characters you get, they have skill bonuses to certain professions, and can proc extra schematics and patterns, as well as extra skill ups in crafting levels. Not quite a racial, but it is on a similar page. They do all your crafting for you, it is a brilliant system that doesn't slow down leveling or the game. Each character will have at least 5 companions based on class.

oh and fun comment Lets hope they replace all the Huttese speaking wookiees with the real noises at launch. (place holder voices are hilarious)

;)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:50 am 
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire

Interesting and thank you for that bit of info,I'm still going to wait for a review from soneone who isn't a die hard Stars Fan/biowar fan (not that there's anything wrong with being one of those ;) ),simply because they will be able to apply a deeply crtical view of the game, giving a good list of it's pros and cons vs whats currently out there.

I do have other thing that i've been wonder, I know that the VA is a selling point,but what if I do wanna read instead of hear the quest do i have that option or is like there's both the text for the quest and the speaking?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:04 pm 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

you can turn subtitles on or off, and There is a slider bar specifically for voice volume. Although i suppose that isn't just the voice acting, but whatever sounds there are in gneeral from NPC's.

I won't deny being a star wars fanboy of some sort, but who here isn't? lol.

But I am a fan of Video Games in general. As far as MMO games go, I have 6 years of warcraft, then some Rift, DCUO, Conan, LOTRO, Aion, and Warhhamer experience. Although those other games were never played very long. A month or so tops. sometimes trying them out at a friends place or watching, just to see end game content I didn't personally do.

For me warcraft hit an extreme highpoint in burning crusade, but the wrath and cataclysm expansions ruined the game, slowly at first, but that Boulder got rolling even faster in Cataclysm. I'd say I have a pretty solid viewpoint about MMO's and how they play. SWTOR has some minor UI issues, but gameplay, pvp balance, and everything else are solid. It's hard not to compare it to other games, but the truth is, as similar as it is to anything else. It really is something entirely new in how it all plays.

A review from someone who is not a star wars fan or bioware fan doesn't matter either. Everyone has a bias. Because one way or another it will be compared to other games, espcially WoW. Take it for what it is, and like I said, it really is something else.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:22 am 
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire

well, minus a few tiny things, to me atleast it's sounding like the TOR is the gearest thing since slice bread from the way you talk about it,which is why i'm waiting for a review from like game infromer,which thats the magaizine i get for my video game needs lol.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:37 am 
Sithlord's Sportmanship Winner 2010
Sithlord's Sportmanship Winner 2010

Pre-ordered my copy last night. Can't wait. I will post a review when it comes out as there looks to be a demand for people wanting to read a few of them.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:59 am 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

I'll post a review too, if I can remember to, during the massive TOR-immersion that I'll be experiencing for the first week or so. :)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:55 pm 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

http://www.swtor.com/media/trailers/signs-war

if you download it, you can see how crisp the graphics have shaped up. streaming it looks good, but doesn't do it full justice.

I'll hype the game up, and you can choose not to believe that I am relatively unbiased, but don't tell me that a video like this doesn't get you pumped lol.

That last battlefield they show, is the giant world pvp zone on Illum. Big Battles? oh hell yeah!

:)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 5:26 pm 
Big Bad Brad
Big Bad Brad

I just went on to confirm our guild Alliances and Adversaries...

Sadly, it says I can not choose our two guilds as adversaries because they have the same name...

would have been nice to know before hand.

I really want to play Lightside as my main character, and thus I switched my main account to that guild, leaving my secondary account in charge of the Sith Version.

This is the garaunteed way for us all to start play on the same server.

Thoughts??

As is, our resources are pretty split running two guilds....few joined like they said they would. We MUST have 4 preorders (3 more) to have the guild instated at launch...

My vote is consolidate to LS.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:28 pm 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I think it has to be 4 people with confirmed pre-orders for it to actually be put on a server? might have changed but yeah that's something important if it hasn't.

Bioware should release a list of servers before the actual launch as well. Thats how I'll be picking my server. Have a good 20 or so raiders backing me, well more than needed for 16 man operations.

Just keep everyone on the same page TCW and you guys shouldn't have a problem.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:57 am 
Big Bad Brad
Big Bad Brad

Dimetrodon wrote:
I think it has to be 4 people with confirmed pre-orders for it to actually be put on a server? might have changed but yeah that's something important if it hasn't.

Didn't change. Note I said 3 more, obviously as Guild Leader I made darn sure I was one of the four preorders. I think Trevor was going to be another one, which means currently of the 6 accounts (5 people) 2 of them have preorders and they are both on the LS guild. I'm wasn't going to buy a 2nd accoutn till we got it ironed out and now it looks like one will do. Just need to figure out which one.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:47 am 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

I had tried to apply to both but it seems you cant do that so i withdrew my app for the darkside to and re-applied to the light. Sadly, I wont be able to pre-order as my wife has hinted heavily that it "might" be a x-mas present for me so i'll have to wait but i'd love to get into the guild when i get the game a few days after release. I dont know what class Im looking to play and am open to any of them so you can post here what the guild may need the most after the game is running and id be happy to help that way...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:52 am 
Big Bad Brad
Big Bad Brad

thedisaster wrote:
I had tried to apply to both but it seems you cant do that so i withdrew my app for the darkside to and re-applied to the light. Sadly, I wont be able to pre-order as my wife has hinted heavily that it "might" be a x-mas present for me so i'll have to wait but i'd love to get into the guild when i get the game a few days after release. I dont know what class Im looking to play and am open to any of them so you can post here what the guild may need the most after the game is running and id be happy to help that way...

You don't have to preorder, but we do just need 3 to have done so. As long as your game account and your TOR website account email are the same you will be prompted to join our server at login. I also assume that means from level 1 you will be a member of the guild without needing to seek us out for invite.

You might stillw ant to talk to your wife about preordering, and she can just make you wait till Christmas. I find pre-orders just more financially manageable as Gamestop lets you pay over time, even for a 60$ game.

As far as classes, I'm not one of those uber MMO'rs that is all about the endgame. Play what you want and you will be accepted. More than likely we will always have what we need between numbers of players times all of their alts.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:03 am 
Really Cool Alien from a Cantina
Really Cool Alien from a Cantina

I played Asheron's Call for years back in high school. After that experience, I decided that massive online games were something I probably needed to stay away from. That seemed like an even better idea when my roommate flunked out of college due to playing WoW 18 hours a day. It's been eight, maybe even nine years since I touched an MMO, and never really felt the lack.

But this game is sorely testing my resolve. Damn you, Bioware.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:02 pm 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Here is a snippet off the swtor forums from a rather large post. This was posted about just yesterday.

Like I had said, they did not want racials to affect picking a specific species/class combo. So whatever they mean by cosmetic abilities, we will have to wait and see. I won't bother speculating about them. But I hope this makes some of you guys happy now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgZoeller
At this time, we do plan on having "racial" abilities, but they will be cosmetic in nature. Think of them as "social" abilities or actions that your character is able to do based on their species.

We wanted to give you something special for your character based on species, but we did not want it to influence your choice in the sense that you would feel "I have to be a Twi'lek Consular because they get +5 Willpower."

So, active "racial" abilities are planned, but they won't affect your combat gameplay in any way.

We'll elaborate more in the future.

here is possibly my favorite reply in this 26 page monster thread lol

Quote:
Thank God. No race should be any better or worse at fulfilling a gameplay task.

QFT!!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 484 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 25  Next