logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 484 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 25  Next

Post subject: Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:16 pm 
Big Bad Brad
Big Bad Brad

Dimetrodon wrote:
Here is a snippet off the swtor forums from a rather large post. This was posted about just yesterday.

Like I had said, they did not want racials to affect picking a specific species/class combo. So whatever they mean by cosmetic abilities, we will have to wait and see. I won't bother speculating about them. But I hope this makes some of you guys happy now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgZoeller
At this time, we do plan on having "racial" abilities, but they will be cosmetic in nature. Think of them as "social" abilities or actions that your character is able to do based on their species.

We wanted to give you something special for your character based on species, but we did not want it to influence your choice in the sense that you would feel "I have to be a Twi'lek Consular because they get +5 Willpower."

So, active "racial" abilities are planned, but they won't affect your combat gameplay in any way.

We'll elaborate more in the future.

here is possibly my favorite reply in this 26 page monster thread lol

Quote:
Thank God. No race should be any better or worse at fulfilling a gameplay task.

QFT!!

Ok, sweet, that's pretty close to wanted I wanted out of a race...though some will be interesting to capture any accuracy without stat bonuses...I mean Wookiees SHOULD be stronger than humans on average.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:14 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

The_Celestial_Warrior wrote:
thedisaster wrote:
I had tried to apply to both but it seems you cant do that so i withdrew my app for the darkside to and re-applied to the light. Sadly, I wont be able to pre-order as my wife has hinted heavily that it "might" be a x-mas present for me so i'll have to wait but i'd love to get into the guild when i get the game a few days after release. I dont know what class Im looking to play and am open to any of them so you can post here what the guild may need the most after the game is running and id be happy to help that way...

You don't have to preorder, but we do just need 3 to have done so. As long as your game account and your TOR website account email are the same you will be prompted to join our server at login. I also assume that means from level 1 you will be a member of the guild without needing to seek us out for invite.

You might stillw ant to talk to your wife about preordering, and she can just make you wait till Christmas. I find pre-orders just more financially manageable as Gamestop lets you pay over time, even for a 60$ game.

As far as classes, I'm not one of those uber MMO'rs that is all about the endgame. Play what you want and you will be accepted. More than likely we will always have what we need between numbers of players times all of their alts.

Awesome. Thanks for the advice on the pre-order...it makes sense, i'll pass it along to her. Im pretty excited and hoping i get to play on a beta testing weekend....

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:07 am 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

Dimetrodon wrote:
I think it has to be 4 people with confirmed pre-orders for it to actually be put on a server? might have changed but yeah that's something important if it hasn't.

Didn't change. Note I said 3 more, obviously as Guild Leader I made darn sure I was one of the four preorders. I think Trevor was going to be another one, which means currently of the 6 accounts (5 people) 2 of them have preorders and they are both on the LS guild. I'm wasn't going to buy a 2nd accoutn till we got it ironed out and now it looks like one will do. Just need to figure out which one.

I just checked, and it looks like I'm part of the SWMGamers guild, headed up by none other than CelestialWarrior. Is this guild dead now? Should I reapply for "Alliances and Adversaries"? I've got a CE preordered, so I'll be starting play already at the pre-release (Dec 13 or something). And yes, my main character will be a Jedi Knight to start (dual-wielding awesomeness!!!!)...after that, I'm really interested in the Bounty Hunter (Blizz the Jawa companion is the coolest) and Sith Inquisitor ("unlimited POWER!")...so at some point I'll be wanting to join a Dark Side server too.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:39 am 
Jedi Battlemaster
Jedi Battlemaster

I hope to be able to preorder shortly, I am probably going to start with a LS character as well.

Join the FOLLY! Online casual League, find out more here: FOLLY

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:38 pm 
Big Bad Brad
Big Bad Brad

Ruhk wrote:
I hope to be able to preorder shortly, I am probably going to start with a LS character as well.

Okay with this. I am officially closing the darkside guild. Eric you will need to apply to that one.

Trevor, you are in the correct one as of Eric's post.

1 more preorder to go and we're official!!!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:14 pm 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Ruhk wrote:

a light side sith? or republic character? :P

couldn't resist haha.

hmmm oh hey guess what. Spoiler Time for fun! This one is about armor and gear.

Spoiler: show
Here is a look at how the armor system works in game. All gear has a unique look, but also very variant color. There is a function called "Unify Colors to Chest" and what this does is recolors various pieces of gear to better match your chest piece. so if you have red gloves, green boots and a blue chest. it will make all your gear more similar to the blue chest piece color. These pictures display armor variants, with and without the color unifier on.

Here is the Green set, and Yellow set as a I dub them, and with alternate helmets too. In the background you can see the roots of a holographic tree. I wonder what planet that is from? oooo... haha

And now here is the Yellow set without the color unification turned on. You can see how different you might look without it. Sometimes you can look cooler with it on, other items off, just depends what you like. But hey, it helps everyone to not look the same. But then again all armor is unique to the specific class anyway. This helps everyone to not look exactly the same like in pretty much any other MMO. This is based on base stat itemization btw. You can still wear jedi robes as say a trooper, but without the right stats it is only for looks, not ever for combat.

Here is also one of the first speeders you can get, as well as slightly different armor while on Tatooine.

:D

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:41 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

I like the non-Mando helmet. Like a cross between Durge and Cad Bane. I'm definately going with the more "Western" look when I play Smuggler and BH.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:11 pm 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

that helmet is more like Boush and IG-88 sort of when up close. also reminds me of Embo

also.. which is which here?

Inquisitor or Warrior? which is which?

:D

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:29 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Are those Inquisitors or just female Warriors?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:00 pm 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

both female, but one is a warrior, the other is an inquisitor. You can decide which is which. can't give everything right? ;)

I'll figure out some other cool stuff tomorrow.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:08 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

The one on the right is the inquisitor.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:41 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Well, we are about to get deluged with info, it seems. It appears the embargo to the major sites is slowly being lifted. A ton of info about the beta to sift through.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:47 pm 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

should be over, yes. no official announcement exactly yet, but everywhere has been saying it. thats why i posted some stuff.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:23 am 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

It is over just for the Media, not in general. I went ahead and read the majority of reviews (that were in English) and not a one bad review from what I read. one or two didn't fully embrace it, but also didn't bash it either, they see the potential.

The Press has only gotten to play as Republic, and had an extended time to be testing it till this embargo was lifted.

This is what a character creation screen will look like. somethign not entirely obvious is the magnifying glass button at the the bottom, to zoom in an out of your face. Most of the slider bar options have around 30-40 options to pick from. The character on screen is more or less dark skinned, and then has some crazy face paint.

When you log into a character, the load screen has a small blurb about the last bit of questing or adventuring you have done. Gives you a recap of what is going on, and it's a pretty cool idea. it is only based around the story aspect of the game though. so every time you complete a story quest it would be different. if you were to log in and out, it will be different based on whichever story quest you just completed. a small detail, but still interesting.

Hey it's more of those holographic trees! where is that at?

:)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 6:22 pm 
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire

Dimetrodon wrote:
. one or two didn't fully embrace it, but also didn't bash it either, they see the potential.
:)

Thats the type of review i'd like to read

EdIt: will there events like "Life day" that are acknowledge in some form or is just going a bland calendar with no Galaxy wide holdidays or plantary holidays?

Things i've said in the past that got dismissed and now are being talked about:
restricting formats by set
Some chosing not to play the game if and when another company picks it up without the current mechanics

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:44 am 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I would figure at some point they will incorporate holiday type stuff, but it is not in the beta right now.

something of note, one of the reviews that I mentioned there that wasn't fully behind SWTOR was a reviewer who seemingly only played WoW.

if the only mmo someone has played is wow, then it is a very skewed and different opinion than someone who has played many mmo's and games.

most the reviews didn't mention other games though. something I like about them. they take it for what it is without comparing it.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:51 am 
Big Bad Brad
Big Bad Brad

Just to note again: The SWMGamers guild has been consolidated to the Lightside version, seemed the majority of the people who have preorders planned on playing LS first and we are not allowed to have (even oppossing) guilds of the same name on the server. Make sure you join and enter your preorder. WE need 4 and I think we're one shy, assuming mine gets fixed....

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:54 am 
Big Bad Brad
Big Bad Brad

What are naming conventions like? Spaces? etc?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:47 am 
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire

Dimetrodon wrote:
I would figure at some point they will incorporate holiday type stuff, but it is not in the beta right now.

something of note, one of the reviews that I mentioned there that wasn't fully behind SWTOR was a reviewer who seemingly only played WoW.

if the only mmo someone has played is wow, then it is a very skewed and different opinion than someone who has played many mmo's and games.

most the reviews didn't mention other games though. something I like about them. they take it for what it is without comparing it.

Well, in the review's defance,when WoW is the only major compatetion, there's gonna be a compare and contrast at some point,since TOR isn't in a void of it's own

and I also hope they incorperate holidays since that IMO will give the Glaxay a lived in feel

Things i've said in the past that got dismissed and now are being talked about:
restricting formats by set
Some chosing not to play the game if and when another company picks it up without the current mechanics

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:25 pm 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

What are naming conventions like? Spaces? etc?

16 characters total, it can have a dash - or apostrophe '

I think it is a limit of two total special characters like those though. so one each or two each kind of thing. I never saw more. Didn't try it out either. the beta is currently down or I would check. I will let you know for sure when I can though.

ender_ wrote:
Well, in the review's defance,when WoW is the only major compatetion, there's gonna be a compare and contrast at some point,since TOR isn't in a void of it's own

and I also hope they incorperate holidays since that IMO will give the Glaxay a lived in feel

wow is the biggest, but not the only one anyone plays. it is a better review when it is taken for what it is, and not being compared to anything. in truth you can compare SWTOR to SW Galaxies or any other mmo... but they are more than apples and oranges, more like bananas and pineapples in galaxies case... entirely different (this is not what you call a sandbox game)

on the swtor forums, people compare those 2 nonstop it's kinda ridiculous.

and as far as holidays I am not sure what is actually galactic. I can say now the Wookiee day isn't. I can imagine them making a few up perhaps.

But right now that isn't a focus of theirs. Gotta bake the cake before you can put icing all over it.

Trust me now, better to have a game with as few bugs as possible than one already overstuffed with features.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 484 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 25  Next