logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: The 7/21 Club!
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:02 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

So now that Regional season has gotten underway and Jason Kiernan has already become the first 3 time winner of a single regional, I began thinking of past years. Everyone remembers who won the Regionals they went to, and everyone loves to be in the group of "Regional Winners". There's another, much more exclusive group, though.

The 7/21 Club.

That's people who played in a regional large enough to have 5 rounds of Swiss and 2 playoff rounds (which are most regionals, really), go completely undefeated with 7 wins, and get a 3 point win in each game for a total of 21 points.

I started going through results threads from the past 2 years looking for people who had accomplished this. The list is surprisingly short! It currently consists of:

Daniel Stephens
Graham Bingham
Ben Johnson

It might ALSO consist of Jason Kiernan for his 7-0 day at the Michigan Regional last year or Ian Gordon for his 7-0 day at the Virginia Regional last year, but the results threads for those events didn't have the score for all the games. If someone could confirm whether or not they got a full 21 points, that would be great. If you know of anyone else I missed, please correct me, preferably with a link to their results. :)

Anyway, I really want this to be a challenge to everyone this year as well as recognizing the players who have managed to achieve this. Lets see how many more people we can get with perfect records this year. And maybe at Gencon this year somebody can start the 9/27 club. :D

"You can't per aspera ad astra unless there's some aspera in front of your astra. And that means sometimes the aspera gets you." - Donald X. Vaccarino

Post subject: Re: The 7/21 Club!
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:26 pm 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

Has any regional gone 8 rounds outside wi two years ago.
I went 7-1 but lose to lobo in the early rounds.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:57 am 
Major Tierce
Major Tierce

I had all 3 pt victories in 2011 when I went undefeated.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:56 am 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

urbanjedi wrote:
I had all 3 pt victories in 2011 when I went undefeated.

Well welcome to the club, then. :D

"You can't per aspera ad astra unless there's some aspera in front of your astra. And that means sometimes the aspera gets you." - Donald X. Vaccarino

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:41 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Echo wrote:

My first thought was, I must have done that. But apparently not.

I went 6-0 three years ago at Chicago before either a playoffs or the 3/2 system was implemented. That was one of the few 6 round swiss Regionals ever. And there were like 12 current and future Hall of Famers there.

I won Wisconsin last year undefeated, but Jake's Nom Bombs prevented my double Lancer Evolution from getting all three pt victories. You try and get a three point win vs Nomb Bombs with a lancer squad! Lobot was the only thing that allowed the 2 pt victory with 2 treadwell droids brought in.

I lost in Swiss at Chicago last year to Jason K, but came back and won in the finals (kinda like the reverse of this year at Michigan, except I never lost to Jason, I lost in the semis)

I was all set to do it this year at Michigan (had 15 pts after swiss) until I lost in the semis.

I have won Kokomo the last 2 years, and went undefeated in both. Last year's wasn't quite big enough to have had 5 swiss rounds so it didn't qualify.

So I guess I am not a part of this (very specific) club. Oh well, I'll take the 5 regional titles. ;)

It is amazing how few have gone undefeated to win. But rough estimate over half the regional champions lost in the swiss. 100% of GenCon chmaps lost in the Swiss. It's really hard to go undefeated. 4/5 of my Regional titles were undefeated, and 2 other Regionals I was the last undefeated standing, and then lost in the semis.

Interesting to note.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:58 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

TimmerB123 wrote:
Echo wrote:

My first thought was, I must have done that. But apparently not.

With all your Regional wins, you were actually on my shortlist of "people who have probably done this" before I started going back to read the old threads.

Quote:
It is amazing how few have gone undefeated to win. But rough estimate over half the regional champions lost in the swiss. 100% of GenCon chmaps lost in the Swiss. It's really hard to go undefeated. 4/5 of my Regional titles were undefeated, and 2 other Regionals I was the last undefeated standing, and then lost in the semis.

Interesting to note.

Yep, that's part of what prompted me to start the thread. It's interesting that so few people have managed to go undefeated at all (which is quite an accomplishment!).

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:02 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Going unbeaten at gencon is rough. I went 6-0 and beat 4 of the guys that were in the top 8 out of those 6 (the other 2 were buttcabbage and greentime who have both won multiple regionals). Going unbeaten is incredibly rough. And its the kiss of death at gencon. The bad news for me was if I would have lost either of my last 2 games I would have pulled a bad matchup in the top 8 (rebel cannon or double lancer).

So in short, don't go unbeaten at gencon, unless you just like 3rd place trophies like I do :).

Congrats to those in this club btw. It's my new goal to make this list. Anything Daniel can do I can do better jka.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:57 pm 
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire

Thanks for including me on the list, but alas I'm only a member of the 6/18 club, which I did last year--we only had four prelim rounds and then narrowed to semis, so I never even had a chance. In 2010 I had at least one 2-point win, so I wouldn't qualify there either.