logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: How Regionals will work this year
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:35 pm 
The One True Sith Lord
The One True Sith Lord

Ok so prize support is out of the question this yea pretty much. So what we are going to do is probably privatize the Regionals. Meaning depending on the store or if you even use a store we may just collect the money ourselves for Regionals.

I am looking at this as a way to guarantee the badges. Just depends. I know in Missouri we may not go to Meta games this year. We really got basically nothing last year and considering the amount of money we put in the store that day I found it a bit unacceptable. I realize the game is dead so to speak. But really why should a store get rich. Most community buildings if planned way ahead can be rented for $50 for the day and never have space issues. So that maybe the direction we go in Missouri.

But I still have time to think about that one.

Any ideas?

Collection: 934/934

SWM DCI Content Manager

Post subject: Re: How Regionals will work this year
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:43 pm 
The One True Sith Lord
The One True Sith Lord

I am thinking personally this year since prize support might be an issue that we might just have players pay their entry fee to one central location. Buy all the badges and then get trophies for each winner. The trophies get handed out at Gencon... I dont know.

SWM DCI Content Manager

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:45 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

You could get some customizers to do some customs for DotF stuff. I think Greg got a repainted Shadow Stormie at coolecticon to be his Mando CIO. Something as simple as that could work.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:46 pm 
The One True Sith Lord
The One True Sith Lord

That could work and is a simple thing that can be done. But I am also trying to give them something that would be nice considering we have zero prize support.

SWM DCI Content Manager

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:58 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

We just pooled all of our extras and made a little kit for everyone to get 2 rares/vr and some non-uniques it worked well. A lot of us have everything we want already but it was good for some of the younger guys to get stuff that they wanted, like one guy got mith'thrawn and said the trip was worth it lol.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:12 pm 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

I was planning on buying a case or two ahead of time and then charging 15$ per person. Of course, since my regional will be held at the same time as my store owner's convention, I have no space rental overhead. I know that my situation may be unique, but I had everything figured and I was confident I could have the badge and prize support all self-contained. Naturally, however, if there is a national plan in place by that time I will conform to that.

Being organized is for people who are too lazy to look for their stuff.

Lasers make everything better... except Alderaan.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:23 pm 
Ugnaught Master!
Ugnaught Master!

Well, I have thought about a way to have prize support, but it takes trust in your gaming group. Online retailers are selling cases for a pretty good price. I haven't gone searching yet, but I'm sure good prices can be found. If someone wants to use a credit card, or, better yet, get people to pay their "entry fee" early, and get prize support ahead of time, then prizes are very possible. Just an idea.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:27 pm 
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice

Our store owner will never go for us taking the money and none going to the store. If thats the way it has to be we may be out. He is really weird about that sort of thing. Ill see what I can work out.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:37 pm 
The One True Sith Lord
The One True Sith Lord

Nothing is set in stone.

But at this point I am thinking most of the regionals might be better that way.

If your store demands it that way fine. But are you getting a good deal?

Take Springfield last year. We had around 20 guys paying $15 bucks. We got a a badge and I think that is it. Not much and he pocketed around $220 and we had to deal with magic players in the same room. He treated it like a moey maker for him and we were idiots. I dont have any desire to go back there.

SWM DCI Content Manager

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:41 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

With the way things are going in Owensboro, it may be a non-issue anyway. We will probably have to start planning for an alternative location.

EDIT: If the event is held at a store, maybe Dean you could require them to put up a case of minis if they have at least 10 players. If they refuse, well then they probably aren't interested in anything more than making money on a dead game anyway.

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:43 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

Dean you might want to talk to jedicartograhper and mapmaker. I don't want to put words in their mouths, but they might be willing to donate some prize support. Just a thought.

If the customs were cool, say like Ani and pademe on the reek, chewy in an ATST, or Luke on a speeder bike then that might be worth it. Of course we woudl want to make sure that it is a piece that could be used, so the glass Jaba is out of the question.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:50 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Maybe the new metals line will be out by then and we can get stores to give those as prizes. I'm still hopeful they will make pieces we can assign as the RM.

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:38 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Dean, how did your store pocket $220?? Did you guys not get ANY boosters to give as prizes to people? You took at least $90 from the entry fees for buttcabage's badge/championship ticket, right? I just don't see how, at the time, you would've let the store pocket that much cash. Sounds like you have a unique situation there, and to force everyone else to do something completely different just because of one bad experience like that might be a bit drastic. Our store was absolutely awesome, gave us like a 15% discount on the boosters we bought for prize support, and it wasn't even a store that we EVER play SWMs at. Now, several of us know the guy who owns the store, and he used to play SWM with us sometimes, so maybe that was part of it. I don't know. I would feel REALLY bad about using a store's play area, if no money is going to them at all. Yes, prize support may be tough to handle, but it's really just as simple as either ordering cases online like Jim said (not too hard to do if you get a few people to pre-register, or you're willing to use a credit card), or have the store offer Store Credit instead of boosters. Store credit is likely how we're going to handle prize support locally now that our LGS doesn't really carry any SWM boosters anymore (they have about half a case left).

That said....I'm not even sure we'll do a Regional here in Cincinnati next year. We only had 11 show up this past year and it was really frustrating. At the very least we will definitely be selecting a different weekend, as I think the Mother's Day holiday really screwed us up. Will probably depend on how many players we can get coming out regularly in the spring once DOTF drops. Right now, my local group is pretty much gone. We haven't got together to play in over 3 months. I've played like, maybe 2 games with local guys since GenCon. :(

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:47 pm 
The One True Sith Lord
The One True Sith Lord

I am bot forcing anything Aaron I am discussing it here. I think that is a bit of a reach.

But as far as privatizing I just think it easier for us in the long run. I am not saying dont spend money in the store. But I thnk to make sure we are getting the badges done that we should look at it. It also means we may not have to lock down to a store. It is early enough I want to explore the possiblilities.

SWM DCI Content Manager

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:52 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

I guess what you're saying is to make sure that WE the players are in charge of the event, and not the store owners? Maybe that's where I'm not understanding your situation, because at our LGS, we've always been in charge of SWM events. We've set the prices and negotiated with the store owner(s) for prize support and such. Money was always collected amongst the players first, and then 'traded' to the store owner in exchange for prize support boosters and stuff.

Guess it just depends on your LGS and it's owner/operator.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:37 pm 
Ugnaught Master!
Ugnaught Master!

I will clarify that last year, we were given 13 boosters as prizes for our Regional, which was pretty much retail on them, as well as the $90 cash. It wasn't a full rip off, but it was pretty cheap of them.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:58 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

OK, yeah, that makes sense. You at least got SOMETHING for the money, lol. I think we ended up getting about a case as well. Might've been more. I think he gave them to us at about 15 or 20% off retail. Certainly not as cheap as buying cases online and then using them for prize support, but if you're playing in their store space, then it's worth supporting the store itself. If the LGS no longer carries any SWM product, then it should be pretty simple to discuss with the store owner about just using the space for the day. Or do like I suggested above and give store credit prizes to folks, rather than the boosters. Everybody pays $15 still (which, honestly, I don't think is that bad for a large event). Then, instead of boosters, you hand out store credit in some form, and the top finishers get something more like $20 or $25 a piece, while the lower finishers get $5 or $10. Won't work AS nicely as having boosters to hand out, but it is an option, and likely what we would do locally here in Cincinnati unless some other prize option presents itself.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:28 pm 
The One True Sith Lord
The One True Sith Lord

The point of this is to make sure we are getting as much bang for our buck as possible.

I have been thinking of using the community center in lamar. it can hold over a 100 easy and would not be much to rent (I would pay for it out of pocket.) Then we can look at getting a badge and real prize support versus the treatment from last year. We also would not be interrupted by other tourneys. This would also mean we are closer to KC which might bring more players.

I am just wondering since it might good for Missouri is it going to be good for the rest of the venues? If it is good for some we should do it that way. We need to protect our players and our events. one thing I know after last year is some of the venues dont give a rats ass abotu a dead game. So what can we do to protect ourselves? That is what this is about. All it takes is a couple of good screwings and boom we have a huge drop off.

I must say that scheduling last year on mothers day was a bad idea. I am not just pointing at Cincy cause Denver did it too. I am just saying. Everyone wants to not compete against a neighboring regional; which is fine as long as you dont kill your own.

We also had Dallas not happen. So we have work to do to be successful and damn the stores and what they want I am worried about the life of the game not their happiness.

SWM DCI Content Manager

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:36 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

dnemiller wrote:
The point of this is to make sure we are getting as much bang for our buck as possible.

I have been thinking of using the community center in lamar. it can hold over a 100 easy and would not be much to rent (I would pay for it out of pocket.) Then we can look at getting a badge and real prize support versus the treatment from last year. We also would not be interrupted by other tourneys. This would also mean we are closer to KC which might bring more players.

I am just wondering since it might good for Missouri is it going to be good for the rest of the venues? If it is good for some we should do it that way. We need to protect our players and our events. one thing I know after last year is some of the venues dont give a rats ass abotu a dead game. So what can we do to protect ourselves? That is what this is about. All it takes is a couple of good screwings and boom we have a huge drop off.

Yep, definitely agree with you there. Depending on the group, the use of an non-LGS facility might work. However, if you're planning to get 1 case of minis (@ about $110 from, say, Miniature Market), and then it costs you $50 to rent a space (that is, if it's a situation not like yours Dean, where you're willing to pay for it yourself), then that's $160 from the players in the tournament, basically. That would be about the same as buying a case from the LGS at about 15% off retail. If people can't arrange even that much of a discount with your LGS, then I would definitely say it's worth finding some other place to play. Heck, our LGS typically gave us 20% or 25% as long as we pre-ordered stuff when new sets were coming out. There were a few times we got more like 35% - 40% off stuff for prize support for large events. So, yeah, it will just depend on the individual venues.

For instance, our store here in Cincy has already said that if they have any SWM boosters left when we do our DOTF Release Event, that they'll give 'em to us at half-off for prize support. So, just depends on your group and how willing your LGS is to work with you.

dnemiller wrote:
I must say that scheduling last year on mothers day was a bad idea. I am not just pointing at Cincy cause Denver did it too. I am just saying. Everyone wants to not compete against a neighboring regional; which is fine as long as you dont kill your own.

Yeah, well, that ended up being a horrible choice, but we didn't have many options. In the early planning stages, we had thought that we were going to try and get somebody from one of the other venues to come and judge, that way I could play, and in order to do that, we had to make sure it was not the same weekend as everybody else. And then at least 3-4 people canceled at the last minute for ours. Still though, we managed to give a full 4-day badge to the winner, and everybody left very happy and well taken care of. Xanatos and his girl friend came all the way down from north Ohio, and have contacted us several times about coming down again some time because they had such a good time with our group. So all things accounted for, I would still consider our Regional last year a definite success.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:46 pm 
The One True Sith Lord
The One True Sith Lord

One other thing I was thinking of. If we centralized our entry fees then maybe we could go to Troll n Toad (notice I am purposefully not mentioning Miniature Market.... I wont buy from them again the guy breaks too many promises and is no longer a sponsor becuase he is a loon) with a group order and even get aibgger discount by buyinf say for 20 regionals..... could we get the cases at 75 a piece who knows. Just saying we need to explore these options.

SWM DCI Content Manager