logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Regional Locations for 2011
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:19 pm 
The One True Sith Lord
The One True Sith Lord

Ok so here is the discussion area for the Regional 2011 locations:

1st I will list last year's locations (a general not sit specific)

Seattle - is this still viable?

San Jose - is LA a better locale? maybe then we can get both SF and SD players

Denver - Confirmed Dasaildon point man

Dallas - Confirmed Brev and BigK54 pointmen

Omaha - will there be more resisitance or can we get nebrakakilla to take reigns

Missouri - Confirmed I may know the point man

Wisconsin - Confirmed possibly in Janesville

Chicago - Confirmed

Owensoboro - Confirmed

Cincy - Confirmed

Indiana - anywhere in the state that works

Michigan - Probably good to go

Pennsylvania - went well

Toronto - good to go I hope

Atlanta - good to go Iwould guess

New JErsey - who knows?

north Carolina - New Addition

Northern Virginia - New Addition

I am wondering do we try Vancouver, Virginia, and any other place like Arizona

I prefer to keep my same point men for this but I have to start planning for this now.

Collection: 934/934

SWM DCI Content Manager

Post subject: Re: Regional Locations for 2011
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:27 pm 
Jedi Battlemaster
Jedi Battlemaster

A west coast Canadian regional would be super. I know that there are also Quebecois and East coast players. I'll have to look into finding ways to get in touch with them.

Hopefully we can get a few more players out to Toronto. :) Maybe advertise it more.

Thoughts on a Vassal Regional?

Join the FOLLY! Online casual League, find out more here: FOLLY

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:29 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

After talking to spryguy1981 this past weekend and his playgroup in charlotte NC they are getting a bigger space because their LGS is moving meaning they will have enough room to host one more then likely. They average 7-8 bi-weekly for tourneys. I know some of the Atlanta guys could make it and maybe some guys from virgina/maryland.

Anyway either Me or Spry are willing to run the event if we can get one in charlotte in 2011.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:31 pm 
The One True Sith Lord
The One True Sith Lord

Vassal has always been a last chance regional for someone wanting a badge. So yes it will happen but it will be on the last weekend.

We also need to be more careful planning our dates. I think last year it was maybe Cincy that had theirs on mother's day or some holiday and I think that killed their turnout. So we need to be mindful of that.

Collection: 934/934

SWM DCI Content Manager

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:35 pm 
Big Bad Brad
Big Bad Brad

dnemiller wrote:
Vassal has always been a last chance regional for someone wanting a badge. So yes it will happen but it will be on the last weekend.

We also need to be more careful planning our dates. I think last year it was maybe Cincy that had theirs on mother's day or some holiday and I think that killed their turnout. So we need to be mindful of that.

Well, I know I volunteered to judge a lot of the regionals in my area (Wisconsin, Chicago, Indiana, even MI-though they have a tradition, and owensboro) so that'll help coordinate 3-4 dates.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:49 pm 
One of the Sith on Malgus' Shuttle
One of the Sith on Malgus' Shuttle

Cincy was the day of or the day before Mother's Day because we were trying to coordinate with the other Regionals in the area. So we got shafted because the other Regionals got a better date and no one would change it to another day, lol. Hopefully we'll have a better turnout this year, but I know for a fact it was due to Mother's Day that at least 3 players couldn't make it (and those 3 would have given us the correct numbers).

I do agree that collecting the money ourselves is a much better idea.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:56 pm 
Mandalore
Mandalore

Location: Aboard the Exocarrier Resalute, waiting to free all SWMer's from Tyrnany
We had the fubar of having it on Mothers Day in Colorado Springs. That did kill our turnout. We had bunches of people who were gonna show and then backed out last minute. I am worried about turnout again this year even more so, we have a good sized player base it's just ridiculously hard to get together and my Sunday group is going downhill because me and my kids wont even be able to attend this up coming year because of real obligations that fall into that same time slot. But I will of course keep my eyes and ears open and see what kind of interest I can stir up.

Member of the SWMRAC
Member of the Completed till the End and Beyond Club

Come rate my squads on Bloomilk...http://www.bloomilk.com/Squads/Search.a ... dalsiandon

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:20 pm 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

The Pennsylvania regional will be the first weekend in May, and we have a venue about 2 blocks away from the incredibly small store we had it in last year.

Make that the last week in April.

Being organized is for people who are too lazy to look for their stuff.

Lasers make everything better... except Alderaan.

Last edited by Darth_Jim on Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:25 pm 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

I am going to try again in Dallas. I am in talking with the guys from d20 and hopefully we can get something worked out so that it will happen and Texas can have a champ. Will have to look for a judge dont know if the same guy will be able to make it . Any ideas how to make it bigger and better (more or less just make it to where it happens) would be great.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:13 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

I know there's a Regional already in PA, and I certainly don't want to take anything away from that event, but I was wondering if work could be started to get one in Maryland as well. I know there are quite a few players in MD, but we lost a lot of them when the store in Fallston closed without warning (and there was no contact info to get a hold of them). Firespray on the BlooMilk forums has been getting started organizing events in Columbia, and if he can grab enough people, we might have a real shot at a good turnout. I was thinking of the event being in the Baltimore area, but obviously we would do whatever is desirable to the majority of the gamers in the area.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:01 pm 
Sithlord's Sportmanship Winner 2010
Sithlord's Sportmanship Winner 2010

If it is okay with you and Ray I am willing to run the Missouri one. I can get us a good place to play.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:31 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

I would assume that Kokomo would be willing to host a regional again. I haven't made it over to the store for a while, but it worked pretty well last year and I assume the owner, who is a Star Wars fan and SWM player would be willing. I will contact him and make sure.

My suggestion would be that there is a 6 week window that way if some one wanted to they coudl easily hit the folowing
Michigan, Chicago, Wisconsin, Kokomo, Cincy, and Owensboro. These groups also seem to travel pretty well. I would also propably pair Atlanta on the same date as Wisconsin. This would allow the southern folks to head to Atlanta. I know the Owensboro crew has traveled to Cincy, Atlanta and Kokomo.

Just some food for thought.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:04 pm 
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire

Fwiw, on Missouri, although I don't live in SWMO, I'm happy if the regional continues to be in Springfield or the surrounding area since I have a place to stay down there. I had no problem with Metagames, but if Gunther or somebody else knows somewhere better in the area, I'll show up wherever it happens. And I can certainly offer my parents' extra room to other members of the KC contingent.

[edit later] I hadn't seen Dean's concerns about Metagames on the other thread when I posted this, but yeah, if they didn't throw us any bones, why not run it somewhere where we would not have to compete for space with other games? If we're going to be in Springfield, I suppose the library is a possiblity. Are there any SMS or Drury students in the group? If so, we might be able to get space in a student center or something. I could get us space at UCM pretty easily since I'm a faculty member, but I don't know that Warrensburg is especially convenient for people.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:43 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

LESHIPPY wrote:
My suggestion would be that there is a 6 week window that way if some one wanted to they coudl easily hit the folowing
Michigan, Chicago, Wisconsin, Kokomo, Cincy, and Owensboro. These groups also seem to travel pretty well. I would also propably pair Atlanta on the same date as Wisconsin. This would allow the southern folks to head to Atlanta. I know the Owensboro crew has traveled to Cincy, Atlanta and Kokomo.

Just some food for thought.

I'd agree with this for the most part. Gotta make it 7 weeks total though, to avoid the Mother's Day weekend. I will NOT settle for having the Cincy one on that weekend again this year, if we even do it at all. Right now, our play group in Cincy hasn't got together for nearly 3 months. Most guys have been playing other games. Hoping to get everybody back together more regularly once DOTF hits, so we'll see.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:58 am 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

[quote="LoboSteleGotta make it 7 weeks total though, to avoid the Mother's Day weekend.quote]

Agreed

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:12 am 
Big Bad Brad
Big Bad Brad

LESHIPPY wrote:
[quote="LoboSteleGotta make it 7 weeks total though, to avoid the Mother's Day weekend.

Agreed[/quote]

Or, we can just begin the weekend after Mother's Day. May is a 5 Sunday month this year so it puts 3 Saturdays after Mother's Day. Regionals could run from May 14th to June 18th with no problem?

Aaron, wasn't yours physically on Mother's Day last year or just the weekend? I remember someone running one on Sunday which accounted for a lack of numbers, in my opinion.

If it's on a Saturday(at any location), it allows better travel time for those of us willing to travel. We leave Friday night after work and can stay somewhere Saturday night to have Sunday to get home before the work week.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:23 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Denver's was actually on Sunday, Mother's Day, but ours was on Saturday. I had hoped that being on Saturday would help, but at least 3 of our local guys ended up being co-opted for the entire weekend by their families.

Honestly, I would rather not hold one in Cincinnati this year, and instead encourage people to travel to the other ones, rather than be forced to have it on Mother's day weekend again. :P

So...in that vein...I'm going to go ahead and claim May 15th for the Cincinnati event. :P

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:27 am 
Big Bad Brad
Big Bad Brad

LoboStele wrote:
Denver's was actually on Sunday, Mother's Day, but ours was on Saturday. I had hoped that being on Saturday would help, but at least 3 of our local guys ended up being co-opted for the entire weekend by their families.

Honestly, I would rather not hold one in Cincinnati this year, and instead encourage people to travel to the other ones, rather than be forced to have it on Mother's day weekend again. :P

So...in that vein...I'm going to go ahead and claim May 15th for the Cincinnati event. :P

May 15th is a Sunday :)

The two nearest ones to travel to would be Kokomo and Owensboro correct?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:59 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Doh, whoops....14th. Darn new calendar at work starts with Monday at the beginning of the row, instead of Sunday like a normal calendar. :P

EDIT: Yeah, closest ones for us are Kokomo and Owensboro. But I've had a blast going up for the Chicago ones the last 2 years as well. So if I can swing it, will likely plan to do that too.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:19 am 
Big Bad Brad
Big Bad Brad

LoboStele wrote:
Doh, whoops....14th. Darn new calendar at work starts with Monday at the beginning of the row, instead of Sunday like a normal calendar. :P

EDIT: Yeah, closest ones for us are Kokomo and Owensboro. But I've had a blast going up for the Chicago ones the last 2 years as well. So if I can swing it, will likely plan to do that too.

Lol, then I claim Chicago, Michigan, Kokomo, Owensboro and Wisconsin NOT being on the 21st so I have a birthday weekend for my wife :)

Hrrrmmm, might have to do 7 weeks then, skipping Mother's Day weekend :)

Seriously though, if Chicago or Kokomo were to have theirs on the 21st I could do her birthday and a regional :)

Last edited by The_Celestial_Warrior on Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.