logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Thank you
PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:39 pm 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

I wanted to say thank you to a number of people who helped make GenCon a memorable event this year, and in particular made it an enjoyable one for me. If you have someone to thank, feel free to chime in.

Ray Becker. Ray got us our hotel room at a great rate, helped me with parking and far too many logistical things to mention. For a second timer such as myself, his experience and help was instrumental in eliminating a lot of the headaches that plagued me last year. He did all of that for me while still taking care of all of his responsibilities at the convention. Thank you, Ray.

Dean Miller. Dean stood tall in the face of the gale force winds of change. More than anyone else, Dean kept this game and hope alive during some difficult times after the announcement. He got all of us working together and even though he was frustrated at times with a number of problems, he fought through them to make sure we had a great GenCon. Thank you, Dean.

Bill Russel. I want to include all of the judges in this, but particularly Bill and Brad Phillips. Brad ran great events and in particular took the 100pt leg of the Jedi Challenge which started late to actually finishing early. Bill gave up his chance of competing to maybe make it to the final table an unprecedented third time in a row so that Dean could play. For the serious competitor, be it sports or anything else, that is the height of unselfishness. And, oh yeah, he did a good job judging as well.

I also want to thank Bill and Matt Peterson for running a great Star Wars Saga RPG event Wednesday night. That was my first time ever to play RPG and I had a blast. I will say that they owe me a new pair of underwear for what happened when they dropped 6 rancors on the map.

My roommates. Don, his son Jonathon, and Ken didn't snore. We had a great time all weekend and a special thanks to Don for becoming the designated driver after Hooters Saturday night. Thanks, Guys.

Matt Francella. Matt was my constant 'hang out' bud all weekend. He really came through for me at my regional and we got to know each other a lot better at GenCon. He introduced this lightweight to wheat beer and I got to know it very well that night. He has really come through for us with maps and we need to respond in kind. Thanks, Matt.

Jon Brook. Jonny basically took my rough idea of a character for the RPG and completely fleshed it out for me. He took the time to teach me most of what I needed to know and showed me how to learn the rest. Jonny, I wouldn't have been able to have nearly as much fun as I did without your help.

Also, Jonny provided us with a light hearted moment at Hooters when Chuck goaded him into hitting on our waitress with the false...eyelashes. Unfortunately, she turned out to be married and 85. Thanks, Jonny.

Jake Schuler. Jake and I played each other in each of the first 3 tournaments. I really got to know the guy and understand now why everyone speaks so well of him. We had an epic battle in our third game, playing 11 rounds in less than an hour despite each of us sporting 20 activations. Jake is also a generous and unselfish person. He pulled Yoda FS in his sealed event and was going to sell him to me but when I told him it was for a special needs kid in my group he gave it to me outright. Thanks, Jake.

Aaron Breuckman, James Wysinsky, Eric Frost, Tim Ballard (sporting the new tier 1 hair), Trevor Peyton, Jake Schuler, Lou Vasillion, Phillip Carlisle, Darth Ted, and a number of others I can't think of at 1:18 in the morning. Like Chris Torgenson last year, these guys made a special effort to greet and talk to me and make me feel welcome and a part of our community. I can't really stress that enough, guys. I was only there for the second time, have never really been competing at the top level like you all, yet you treated me like I was part of the old guard. James, I promise that I won't 'geek up' Hooters next year, dude. Trevor, thanks for the schooling with Skybuck 101. Honestly, I really did learn something. Thanks, guys.

Chris West. Thanks for supporting our game and continuing to churn out new maps. Those two slightly damaged maps will be going to the same special needs boy I talked about earlier. Thanks, Chris.

David Weeks and Matt Spry. You guys asked me to join your team when I didn't think I'd be playing, and it turned out to be one of my favorite events. Go team 'That's what she said'. Thanks, guys.

To all of our attendees this year I say thank you. While a lot of individuals gave of their time money, and hard work to bring this to fruition, it still doesn't happen if people don't come. Thank you all.

Being organized is for people who are too lazy to look for their stuff.

Lasers make everything better... except Alderaan.

Post subject: Re: Thank you
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:18 am 
Ugnaught Master!
Ugnaught Master!

Jim, you are very welcome, my friend. I am glad you had a wonderful time, and that I could add to the enjoyment.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:31 pm 
Jedi Battlemaster
Jedi Battlemaster

Jim, I was more than happy to spend time with you and share some laughs. Having you there made the weekend that much better!

Join the FOLLY! Online casual League, find out more here: FOLLY

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:46 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

Yeah, Jim, it was great to spend time with you. I love your quick wit and humor! Our game was lots of fun, too.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:50 pm 
Name Calling Internet Bully
Name Calling Internet Bully

For anyone who hasn't met Jim, he is a tremendous person and a lot of fun. I appreciate the kind words Jim, and I'm glad to hear that you had such a good time.

http://www.bloomilk.com/Squads/Search.aspx?UserID=29

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:53 am 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

billiv15 wrote:
I appreciate the kind words Jim, and I'm glad to hear that you had such a good time.

I did, and it was due to a large part of people like you working hard to make it so.

Ruhk wrote:
Jim, I was more than happy to spend time with you and share some laughs. Having you there made the weekend that much better!

thereisnotry wrote:
Yeah, Jim, it was great to spend time with you. I love your quick wit and humor! Our game was lots of fun, too.

Just so you guys know, after the team event I WOULD have sung 'Oh Canada'. You all were freakin' awesome.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:55 am 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

dvader831 wrote:
Jim, you are very welcome, my friend. I am glad you had a wonderful time, and that I could add to the enjoyment.

My one regret, Ray, is that we were both so busy that or paths didn't cross more often. Hopefully next year I can coordinate things better so that we can hang out some more.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:30 am 

I must say, I really wanted to thank Jim for providing the ride for us over to Gencon. He's generous and very helpful in taking time to guide me where I needed to go to help Dean and the judges and especially taken the time to help out in assisting me in getting a ride to the airport from great friends Matt and Jeremy.

Although, I do wish I could hang out with you guys, but tournament software really isn't going to run itself, so hopefully next time

"The Sith are honest about what they're killing for. The Jedi are pacifists, except in times of war. They're teachers, except when it comes to telling their students the truth. And when they save you, it's only so you can suffer more." - Atton

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:25 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Thanks to jim and his quick wit Team thats what she said had a shot to win in the team tourney. Jim had a absolute blast with you this weekend cant hardly wait to see what kind of crazy name we come up with next year!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:48 pm 
Hand of the Sith
Hand of the Sith

Thanks Jim I try to have fun at gencon no matter how many 1's I roll with Kybuck lol.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:16 pm 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

Lou wrote:
Thanks Jim I try to have fun at gencon no matter how many 1's I roll with Kybuck lol.

Rolling it right in front of Bill as if to prove your point was hilarious!

Weeks wrote:
Thanks to jim and his quick wit Team thats what she said had a shot to win in the team tourney. Jim had a absolute blast with you this weekend cant hardly wait to see what kind of crazy name we come up with next year!

I was hoping we'd use the same name. We certainly don't want Matt choosing it for us lol.

kenred2 wrote:
I must say, I really wanted to thank Jim for providing the ride for us over to Gencon. He's generous and very helpful in taking time to guide me where I needed to go to help Dean and the judges and especially taken the time to help out in assisting me in getting a ride to the airport from great friends Matt and Jeremy.

Although, I do wish I could hang out with you guys, but tournament software really isn't going to run itself, so hopefully next time

Glad to help out, Ken. I like having a car there to have the option of driving, so if there's room, it's all good.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:37 pm 
Flim
Flim

What Jim said is important for everyone to remember. WE DON'T GEEK IT UP AT HOOTERS. AKA take off badges and leave bags at home. Jim I had a great time with you this year and I can't wait till next year.

"It is the unknown we fear when we look upon death and darkness, nothing more"-- Albus Dumbledore

Proud member of the Triumvirate

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:21 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

jew3 wrote:
What Jim said is important for everyone to remember. WE DON'T GEEK IT UP AT HOOTERS. AKA take off badges and leave bags at home. Jim I had a great time with you this year and I can't wait till next year.

No way - I loved playing Dejarik at Hooters. Why not combine all the things I love in life - friends, gaming, beer, and, well . . .

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:22 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Darth_Jim wrote:
Tim Ballard (sporting the new tier 1 hair) . . . Thanks, guys.

Tier one hair. LOL

Jim you were one of the guys I was especially looking forward to seeing this year. I only wish we could have played!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:50 pm 
Mandalore
Mandalore

Location: Aboard the Exocarrier Resalute, waiting to free all SWMer's from Tyrnany
I concur, this was a great event, and it was all due to the hardwork of the players and most importantly the organizers and the judges. I have to say my most favorite memories from the weekend were from socializing more than the gaming. And Jim I'll room with you anytime.

Member of the SWMRAC
Member of the Completed till the End and Beyond Club

Come rate my squads on Bloomilk...http://www.bloomilk.com/Squads/Search.a ... dalsiandon

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:21 pm 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

TimmerB123 wrote:
Jim you were one of the guys I was especially looking forward to seeing this year.

Same here, Tim. I thought what you did last for Ruben, giving him first pick of the prizes for the Jedi Challenge when you actually won was one of the best examples of class and good sportsmanship we had last year. I like being around people of your caliber.

dalsiandon wrote:
I have to say my most favorite memories from the weekend were from socializing more than the gaming.

Me too. And we had a great time, didn't we Don? It was great meeting you and your son.