All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Re: Lets get the Ball Rolling
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:38 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

dvader831 wrote:
dnemiller wrote:
Does anyone like that? 4 Round 4 different maps?

I don't like it, I love it. Wonderful idea.

I agree, for sure. Excellent idea! The only concern is the cost to Chris and Matt to make and print those maps; if they're good with the idea, then I'd love to do the MM Tourney that way.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:35 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Haha, funny, I was actually going to suggest exactly that as well! I like the idea. Seems like it would be costly though, and the $16 we charged for that event this year certainly wouldn't cover it. But, if we can guarantee that people will actually GET both maps when the tournament is done, then it shouldn't be a problem to get people to sign up. Just have to make sure we have more than enough maps to cover 60+ people.

This might be a good thing to supplant the Sealed events too. People would often pay $30 to play in those.

dvader831 wrote:
Also, someone creating a special map for a Mass Battle would be a-maz-ing!

Honestly, I think this statement would only be true if the custom map were truly....a maze...lol

J/k :P

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:40 am 
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire

I think the four maps for four rounds idea is beyond awesome. What might be particularly cool is to have a couple maps that favor drastically different play-styles. It seemed like both maps this year were really aimed at balance (there were ways that melee could advance in cover, but range squads could generate long lines of sight if they worked at it), but with four maps, you could have two balanced maps, a more melee-friendly map, and a more range-friendly maps. Or, for instance, a map with lots of doors followed by a map with virtually no doors. Then, to win the event you would really have to prove that your squad can adjust to a wide array of terrains.

That said, this is certainly just a peanut-gallery suggestion. JediCartographer and Mapmaker have forgotten more about this stuff than I will ever learn.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:24 am 
Big Bad Brad
Big Bad Brad

You know, I have a sort of "mini-scenario" that we run here that could easily be adapted to replace an all-day event as League Play. It's basically the judge vs a single player in a unwinnable scenario (usually). Think Jedi escaping Order 66. Points are scored by the player for advancing across the map, meeting certain objectives (such as escape) and defeating Judge's characters. Each game takes less than 15 minutes, and we could have prizes for the highest score of the day and weekend. It's also something we could charge minimally for, and people can keep coming back with more tickets. It also wouldn't take up much table space (one).