logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Here come the Younglings - Bill's Gencon 2010 Report
PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:04 pm 
Name Calling Internet Bully
Name Calling Internet Bully

Well, I am home, and I am absolutely beat from my usual brutal weekend of SWMs non-stop fun! We had a great Gencon for SWMs, and a pretty darn good turn out for most every event. It was great to meet a lot of first timers, and longtime board/vassal friends for the first time.

The Championship had 55 players (which is pretty great considering everything that's happened this year).

Final Standings
1. Daniel Stephens
2. Brandon Pyle
3. Phillip Carlyle
4. Wes Morgan
5. Trevor Payton
6. Aaron Bruekman
7. Graham Bingham
8. Jason Keirnan

(Sorry if I misspelled your name)

Just missing the top 8 by less than 5 percentage points (2 opponent wins, and 3 for these two was the difference) were.

9. Dean Miller
10. Deri Morgan

I will pull up the full standings after swiss later (its buried in my bag at the moment).

Well over 50% of the games in the entire tournament were fully completed, and each of the 4-2s who made the top 8 completed every win for 12 points. The major rules revamp we did last year made a tremendous difference. We had all 5 major factions make an appearance in the top 8, and any of the squads was capable of winning it all.

Most popular factions were Republic, Rebels, NR, and Seps. However, we did have one Vong squad, a Mando squad, and a NR Vong squad (which went 3-3 and won the most creative squad award by Laura Keinan). So there was a lot of variety overall for a championship event.

The most notable thing from this year's event was that the old gaurd of SWMs competitive players have to make room for the younglings :) In this year's top 8 we had 4 players under 25, including a 15 year old playing in the finals!

The old gaurd still performed well, with Aaron becoming the only 4 time finalist, and Trevor making his second top 8. Dean and Deri narrowly missed the top 8, and so did several other names like TimmerB, Matt Hansen, Matt Peterson, Lou, James, and others. Jason Kiernan made his first top 8, but he's been right there every year as well.

We had players from three different countries, Canada, USA and Germany.

All in all, it was a great tournament, and as I have time I will add details from this event, and from other Gencon stuff. Congrats to everyone, and thanks to Dean for all his hardwork, and all the guys who gave up their time to help - especially Brad Phillips who basically judged all weekend, including helping me with the Champs. And Congrats again to Echo on his Championship win!

http://www.bloomilk.com/Squads/Search.aspx?UserID=29

Post subject: Re: Here come the Younglings - Bill's Gencon 2010 Report
PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:52 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Yeah, congratulations to all the participants and especially Brandon Pyle, one of Owensboro's own! This was his first trip to GenCon and he went all the way to the top. I really thought he was going to pull out a victory but the dice just seemed to turn on him.

We were also betting on Admiral Graybar, who was something like 19-0 over 4 major tournaments, including the 200 on Thursday and the Owensboro Regional, but the dice weren't really with him either, sadly.

Most of all, congratulations to Daniel Stephens for his well-deserved victory! Few venues for SWM as classy as the Atlanta crowd (Owensboro being one of those few, of course :P ). Seriously though, looking forward to playing you guys again asap.

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:36 pm 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

I just got home after a 9 hour drive, and wanted to add my own congratulations to Daniel Stephens. In fact, congratulations to all of our top 8. Someone noted this weekend...can't remember who at this point...that although the field was smaller than last year, the number of tough players seemed to be up. We had a lot of younger players doing well in tournaments all weekend. That speaks not only to the excitement and enthusiasm this game still generates, but also to the 'old guard' who have worked with and tutored some of the younger crowd. We've got a great mix of new ideas and experience.

Being organized is for people who are too lazy to look for their stuff.

Lasers make everything better... except Alderaan.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:58 pm 
Unnamed Stormtrooper
Unnamed Stormtrooper

Grand Moff Boris wrote:
Yeah, congratulations to all the participants and especially Brandon Pyle, one of Owensboro's own! This was his first trip to GenCon and he went all the way to the top. I really thought he was going to pull out a victory but the dice just seemed to turn on him.

We were also betting on Admiral Graybar, who was something like 19-0 over 4 major tournaments, including the 200 on Thursday and the Owensboro Regional, but the dice weren't really with him either, sadly.

Most of all, congratulations to Daniel Stephens for his well-deserved victory! Few venues for SWM as classy as the Atlanta crowd (Owensboro being one of those few, of course :P ). Seriously though, looking forward to playing you guys again asap.

I'm flattered, really. Honestly, I never expected to even place in the top 8 in Gencon, especially when it was my first time ever there! Didn't think I was good enough as a player.

Also, congratulations to everyone that played, and to Daniel Stephens (who has yet to approve my friendship request on Facebook). I plan on beating you next year, Daniel!