SWMGAMERS.com Forums
http://swmgamers.com/forums/

Floor Rules
http://swmgamers.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=200&t=4589
Page 2 of 2

Author:  Menoths Fire [ Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:57 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Floor Rules

dnemiller wrote:
actually Menoth we have been testing the vassal as a viable tourney for a while now. Generally we add approx.... 10-15 to round time and that works fine. but we have run around 8 successful tourneys on vassal. I guess you have been gone for a while and missed it happening but it has been great as one tourney I Kill GUngans got up at 3 AM to be part of it (he lives in Germany).... not only did he have a great time but he won the thing.....


My only concern is that Vassal adds an extra "learning curve" to the gaming and wanted to make certain that the results of a Vassal tourney would be directly comparable to a "real-life" tourney... As I stated: my experience with it is both limited and out-dated so, naturally, I'll defer to your knowledge of the subject.

Author:  Menoths Fire [ Tue Sep 02, 2008 1:14 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Floor Rules

dnemiller wrote:
one of the best parts of it is having players from each of the big gaming groups on there playing..... it is pretty excitingto see what they think is meta and see the play styles it really is huge is seeing if what you think is good is really good


Agreed; I only wish there was a better, more intuitive user interface - I'll check it out again, though, since it's been awhile.

Author:  NickName [ Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:34 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Floor Rules

Fool wrote:
Other than that maybe no deferring on the setup roll.

Eg. You win the roll, you a pick the map, the loser sets up/chooses side, period. He can't defer.


er, how is this different from how the Floor Rules already are?

Regardless, my "vote" is following the DCI floor rules as they currently exist (however they are at the time, not fixed how they are now) with the following additions:

1) VASSAL tournements are acceptable within the same limits (4 players and some sort of organizer or judge.)
2) Maps from a provided list of optional maps are allowed with 100% consent from players participating in the tourney. If one or more players object, the DCI map list will be used. (Then of course, provide the list.)

Judge test is unnecessary. The WotC one is not worth the effort it takes to maintain nor the results it achieves. If someone wants to judge, let them try. Don't try to solve a problem before it's apparent there really is one and that the solution actually solves it.

Author:  Menoths Fire [ Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:58 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Floor Rules

NickName wrote:
...2) Maps from a provided list of optional maps are allowed with 100% consent from players participating in the tourney. If one or more players object, the DCI map list will be used. (Then of course, provide the list.)...

I believe that there should be a set allowable list... I disagree with having a "commitee" decision about anything before each tournament - why not allow the AT-AT in 200pts games, if everyone agrees to it? Because players should know what to expect long before they get to a tournament .

Besides, some legal maps are just as hard to get as JC's map pack for many people.

Author:  darthxodus [ Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:29 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Floor Rules

Menoths Fire wrote:
NickName wrote:
...2) Maps from a provided list of optional maps are allowed with 100% consent from players participating in the tourney. If one or more players object, the DCI map list will be used. (Then of course, provide the list.)...

I believe that there should be a set allowable list... I disagree with having a "commitee" decision about anything before each tournament - why not allow the AT-AT in 200pts games, if everyone agrees to it? Because players should know what to expect long before they get to a tournament .

Besides, some legal maps are just as hard to get as JC's map pack for many people.

I agree with this. Only because when 2 players sit down at a table to play during a tournament everyone who has a custom map will have to have 2 just in case 1 disagrees. Or a player could refuse because their squad may not perform well on the custom map their opponent has chosen. If everyone knows going in, then it's kind of the same thing as each player agreeing & will save time. I think the issue is if a custom map is used, it will not reportable to DCI as it breaks the rules but when I look at my standings on DCI I don't see what maps I play on listed.

Author:  Jaster_Mareel [ Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:19 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Floor Rules

Concerning customized maps, A LGS-group is going to be able to do whatever they want, despite any DCI or SWMG mandate says. Therefore, let the LGS groups decide for themselves how they want to handle their maps.

Second, Any event on vassal that will effect ratings should be publicly posted here on SWMG in advance so that all can know it is going on and can participate. In such announcement, maps and other limitations/exceptions should be noted.

Author:  buttcabbge [ Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:20 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Floor Rules

Jaster_Mareel wrote:
Second, Any event on vassal that will effect ratings should be publicly posted here on SWMG in advance so that all can know it is going on and can participate. In such announcement, maps and other limitations/exceptions should be noted.


I agree with that for sure.

Author:  dvader831 [ Fri Sep 05, 2008 6:23 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Floor Rules

Jaster_Mareel wrote:
Second, Any event on vassal that will effect ratings should be publicly posted here on SWMG in advance so that all can know it is going on and can participate. In such announcement, maps and other limitations/exceptions should be noted.


I don't know about that one, Chris. I want to say that, if we some of us are on Vassal, and there is enough for a tourney, why not allow an on-the-spot organization and tourney. I don't see a problem with it. It's a "Pick Up Tourney." So PUT up or shut up, ROFL!

Author:  Menoths Fire [ Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:55 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Floor Rules

Jaster_Mareel wrote:
Concerning customized maps, A LGS-group is going to be able to do whatever they want, despite any DCI or SWMG mandate says. Therefore, let the LGS groups decide for themselves how they want to handle their maps...

Well, I don't believe that the fact that some folks will choose to do what they will with these rules should stop us from making set rules. Afterall, there is nothing that a group can't do if everyone present decides to make something up. The rules we make here, though, should be considered "set."

Author:  NickName [ Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:18 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Floor Rules

My concern was what darthxodus mentioned.

If you want to be compatible with DCI to allow double-reporting, and have set rules that differ in some way from DCI, then the items which would prevent a venue from playing within the DCI system should be optional to prevent alienating those who want their stuff reported but do not feel comfortable bending the DCI rules in any way, even for a custom map that "everyone" agrees is cool.

Author:  R5Don4 [ Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:14 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Floor Rules

dnemiller wrote:
I would have to say putting the iniative rule into the floor rules would not be good.... I can say as a matter of fact that it will change with the new starter.... So I would leave this alone.



I'm sure this has been addressed elsewhere, but what happened with the new initative rule?

Page 2 of 2 All times are UTC - 6 hours
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/