logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post subject: Re: Wednesday night?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:04 pm 
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

thereisnotry wrote:
Darth_Jim wrote:
sthlrd2 wrote:
You guys talk a big poker game, I wonder if your play can back up your mouth. Maybe I can call my brother (who plays poker professionally by the way) and see if he wants to attend Gen Con with me. At the very least he could have his trip paid for by all of your money.

Unfortunately, I am unsure as to if I'll be down Wednesday night, in fact things came up at work and with the family that I might miss the SWM championship, and might only be able to be there Saturday and Sunday. I will keep you guys posted as to what happens as soon as I find out, but boy what a crappy turn of events at just the wrong time.

That's how I paid for my trip to GenCon in 2010. "I'll call my brother"? Really lol?

My brother's bigger than your brother. He could beat your brother up, and he will if I ask him to. :P

I'm sure he is and I'm sure he could, my brother is smaller than I am and I'm a small guy.

I just find it amusing when others talk crap about poker and then I hear my brothers stories. It's just funny to me to hear non poker players talk crap and then hear the crap that poker players talk. I mean no disrespect, (by non poker players, I mean non professional poker players). My brother before he started playing poker used to go to gen con every year for magic and hasn't been there in over 10 years. I was just trying to make light of the poker smack talk going on.

So much for a friendly game indeed. And I guess I'm to blame for that.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:48 pm 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

sthlrd2 wrote:

I won't play if it isn't a friendly game. Part of the fun of talking smack with friends is if things go badly and they throw it back in your face, you all can still laugh. I know if Gerry were to knock me out he'd have something funny to say, and we'd all enjoy it. He knows the reverse would be true as well. No matter what I play, sportsmanship is paramount.

I'm not a professional, but I can play, and I'm not afraid to sit down at a table with anyone. If all you were doing was interjecting your own smack and not intending to insult anyone, no offense taken, my friend.

Being organized is for people who are too lazy to look for their stuff.

Lasers make everything better... except Alderaan.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:54 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Darth_Jim wrote:
sthlrd2 wrote:

I won't play if it isn't a friendly game. Part of the fun of talking smack with friends is if things go badly and they throw it back in your face, you all can still laugh. I know if Gerry were to knock me out he'd have something funny to say, and we'd all enjoy it. He knows the reverse would be true as well. No matter what I play, sportsmanship is paramount.

I'm not a professional, but I can play, and I'm not afraid to sit down at a table with anyone. If all you were doing was interjecting your own smack and not intending to insult anyone, no offense taken, my friend.

I won't be talking any smack, as I hardly know even how to play. Giving my money away does not sound fun. At least minis you can have fun without money. I've played poker without money before - and it's pretty pointless. It changes things significantly when money is on the line. The game itself is mediocre at best - the thrill comes from winning money.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:07 am 
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire

Poker just isn't poker without cash on the line and the requisite table banter.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:11 am 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

Hold on: were we talking seriously there? lol Because I wasn't. I don't have a big brother...I'm the oldest, and I'm pretty small too.

Anyway, I honestly don't like poker very much, and I enjoy throwing money away even less. If you guys want to play some poker then it could be fun to watch, but I think I'd rather just play Kung Fu or Settlers of Catan or something non-friendship-threatening. :)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:01 am 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

I play poker all of the time on Facebook, and not for money. I am up for a game whether we play for money or not. As for other games, my current favorite is Dominion, which Daniel has said he wants to play. I'm willing to learn Kung Fu, or teach games I'll be bringing, or play something tried and true like Settlers of Catan.

I don't know how the poker talk grew so serious. I for one was having fun with the banter and never thought it was becoming 'friendship threatening'. If that is indeed the case, well, let's build roads and trade sheep for bricks. GenCon is supposed to be fun.

Being organized is for people who are too lazy to look for their stuff.

Lasers make everything better... except Alderaan.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:39 am 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Darth_Jim wrote:
well, let's build roads and trade sheep for bricks. GenCon is supposed to be fun.

I have wood for sheep.

Wait, what?

"You can't per aspera ad astra unless there's some aspera in front of your astra. And that means sometimes the aspera gets you." - Donald X. Vaccarino

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:13 am 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

I need ore and I'll trade in your favor. That way I can buy a Village, which gives me +1 Card and +2 Actions...oh wait.... :oops:

I'd love a game of Dominion too--I'd actually prefer it to Kung Fu, because Kung Fu can be friendship-threatening, unless we're talking about Kung Fu the card game, in which case it's not. If we're talking real Kung Fu then I doubt we'd be able to stay in the lobby very long anyway.

Oh, and my big brother is a Kung Fu master! He eats tigers for breakfast and stomps on the grasshoppers that are foolish enough to gather at his feet.

Seriously though, I'm more interested in Dominion than anything else at this point.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:26 am 
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire

The intent of my initial query was to see if any one was up for some friendly action. By no means was this to be a high stakes game, just some knuckle heads getting together to toss cards and to have some laughs.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:49 am 
Ugnaught Master!
Ugnaught Master!

Okay, Dominion sounds like a popular choice! Can someone direct us newbies to the website for hopeful rules and we can learn pre-GenCon to speed things along?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:55 am 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Here's the basic rules: http://www.riograndegames.com/uploads/G ... eRules.pdf

Some of the expansions add a thing or two, but not much. One of the best things about the game, though, is that it's very easy to learn, so giving a rundown of the rules there won't be a problem.

"You can't per aspera ad astra unless there's some aspera in front of your astra. And that means sometimes the aspera gets you." - Donald X. Vaccarino

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:30 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

Yep. Like most games, it really takes an actual play-through of the game before you fully understand it, but then it's a piece of cake. My 7 and 8 year old sons can easily play the game with full rules, even though they tend to buy far more of the Thief and the Pirate Ship cards than they should. :)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:24 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Citadels is another good one. The Atlanta guys have it.

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:30 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Grand Moff Boris wrote:

Yep, and we'll be bringing it also. It's definitely a favorite. :)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:35 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Echo wrote:
Grand Moff Boris wrote:

Yep, and we'll be bringing it also. It's definitely a favorite. :)

Graham goes crazy during that game. Definantly a must.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:49 pm 
Really Cool Alien from a Cantina
Really Cool Alien from a Cantina

Weeks wrote:

WHY WOULD YOU KILL THE KING?!?!?

Dominion is an awesome game, but only for four players at a time. Citadels goes up to eight. Plus there is the bonus that Daniel hasn't played five hundred games of Citadels online against hardcore Germans when he's supposed to be working.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:25 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

greentime wrote:
Weeks wrote:

WHY WOULD YOU KILL THE KING?!?!?

Dominion is an awesome game, but only for four players at a time. Citadels goes up to eight. Plus there is the bonus that Daniel hasn't played five hundred games of Citadels online against hardcore Germans when he's supposed to be working.

Actually I've played nearly 1,100 games. My win rate is only just over 50% though and I haven't been playing much at all lately (work has actually been busy) . Those guys online are good at Dominion! A pretty large percentage of my losses were from before I really got any good at it.

http://councilroom.com/player?player=Echo354

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:34 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

I played Citadels once and my win rate is 100%. :D

Edit: Sorry, just realized you switched the conversation back to a different game, lol.

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:39 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

I might take the blame for infecting Atlanta with Citadels. We played it after hours at GenCon in 2010, and to my knowledge it was their first time.

It is great!

Ascension is another possibility, similar to Dominion, but after much deliberation I find ultimately better.

I also have a great little game called Weed! (Yes, it's about what you think it is.) That is a great QUICK game that is good for gamers and non-gamers alike.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:53 am 
Moff Disra
Moff Disra

TimmerB123 wrote:
Ascension is another possibility, similar to Dominion, but after much deliberation I find ultimately better.

I came to the same conclusion after one game of Dominion. Part of my thought process is setup and putting away a game. Ascension is a few piles of cards. Dominion is lots of sorting and then proper storage.

My kids and I watched a game of Summoner Wars the last time we were in WI. It seems like a good game. Has anyone played it?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next