logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: The Boris Report
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:50 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

In years' past, I would have a lengthy essay-style report written out about my time at GenCon, but honestly this year there wasn't much to tell. I played in the Mystery Map tournament and spent the rest of the time in the dealer hall. My experience in the Mystery Map tournament confirmed for me why I shouldn't waste my money playing the Championship. I just don't play enough to be good at the game in the biggest event of the year, and there are too many players who just take the whole thing way too seriously. I've been one of them before, so I know what it's like. Game 1 of the MM tournament was about the worst experience I've had playing in probably 4 years. I knew I couldn't win, and although I remained in good spirits my opponent was smug and mostly irritable throughout the 40 minutes or so of our game. I finally conceded to him because I just couldn't make myself waste any more of my vacation time sitting across the table from him. As I extended my hand to concede, I told him, "You just need to relax. Making your opponent feel uncomfortable shouldn't be a part of the game." I was probably ruder than I should have been, but I just have zero tolerance for that behavior. If you can't even crack a smile when your opponent laughs at his own bad luck, then there is something wrong with you. Sorry that is just my opinion (and yes, when I behaved that way there was something wrong with me, too).

So after that, and before that, I wandered around the dealer hall demoing games. I checked out the demo of the Fantasy Flight ship combat, and loved it for 10 minutes until I got bored. I didn't even bother to try the card game. It looked terrible. I demoed the Lord of the Rings cooperative card game with Moses and we both nearly fell asleep.

Then, I walked back to the WotC booth just for old time's sake and I wasn't sure at first that I had gone to the correct area. But sure enough, there it was - with a huge "Neverwinter Nights" banner hanging overhead. There was absolutely NOTHING to distinguish it as part of Wizards of the Coast. I laughed to myself at the realization that they didn't identify themselves by a company name.

I made a mental note of about 15 other RPGs I want to check out this year as I continued through the hall, and stopped at an artist's booth to buy her latest prints. She is one of my favorites, so of course I support her when I can. Then Moses made me play Dust Tactics with him, which is another game by FF. It was incredible, and I hope to see a skirmish-based game for Star Wars using the rules that game has.

I watched parts of the Championship, celebrated the OR win in the tournament, spoke to Rob Watkins for 32 seconds, and then went home. Not in that order but you get the idea. :)

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg

Post subject: Re: The Boris Report
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:18 am 
Mandalore
Mandalore

Well this is very disapointing news about the new games.

Wish youd had a better time playing in the tourney. Maybe next year. :)

Wotc GTL: 52ish
Gamers GTL: 2 (dalsiandon, urbanjedi)

fingersandteeth wrote:
Also t4 for override and a cheeky flame.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:35 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Yeah, maybe.

I had a great time at the convention. It was so relaxing that now that I am back at work I am having trouble focusing, lol! :D

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:24 am 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

It was good seeing you Dennis. Too bad we didn't get to hang out more. At least those pesky lancers didn't win :).

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:05 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

You too, Weeks. I'm sure we will have plenty of time to hang out at DragonCon, now that I am going! :)

That was one good thing to come out of the mystery map tournament - I played Graham in round 2 and we spent part of the game making travel arrangements, lol.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:16 am 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Awesome man, should be a good time. We will probably do a r&r 200 point tourney so bring some minis

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:15 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Will do. :)