logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Championship report: Two years running
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:38 am 
Big Bad Brad
Big Bad Brad

Just some notes after judging back to back championships:

I felt (though I have no quantitative evidence) that more games were completed in time, and I feel that approaching the championships with my "200 or 2" mentality was well warranted and went smoothly.

Though I was just as "aggressive" this year as I was last year on slow play and stalling warnings, fewer were given out. 4 slow play in total with 5 and 6 not far behind (and would have resulted in a double loss) and 0 stall warnings (in fact, I called stalling more as a player than as a judge). So, I would hope this means that people are getting used to what I expect as a judge and are playing to my standards, which is why I repeatedly throw my hat into the judges ring, as I feel this is the best answer to a definitive stance on stalling and slow play. There is simply no way to floor rule it.

Back to the near double loss. Time had been called and when I walked over to that table, Ben (my other judge) informed me the round had started 3 minutes before I called time. Seeing as how it was 7 minutes after I called time I immediately issued both players a slow play warning. 10 minute rounds are somewhat accepted during normal play, but after-time rounds should be completed much faster. 4 minutes later after watching them count and recount points during every phase I declared that the round must be finished in 1 minute or it would be a double loss. Finally, 1 minute and 30 secs later (see I can be nice ;) ) the round was finished.

Concerning warnings, I noted that people are still very unclear what it means, essentially:

One game warning: it's just that nothing to freak out about
2nd game warning: Possible loss
3rd game warning: definate loss

WARNINGS DO NOT CARRY OVER INTO SUBSEQUENT ROUNDS unless it is excessive. So if you were awarded a slow play warning in Round 1 and get another in Round 2 (of the tournament, not the game) it's not a big deal. However, come Round 3, there's going to start being issues. I notice people freak out unneccessarily when they are given one in a game. Awareness of your play style is good, overdue stress is not.

So, if at the end of a game you run your 10 hp 71 point character away from engagement, I will call stalling, but guess what....see above.

I hope that clears everything up. I hope to be back in the judges shirt for the Champs next year, and hope to see everyone back that was here this year, and the few who didn't show up because I was judging are welcome as well :D Consistency is the key, not crying. MAybe that will be my new sig...:D

Post subject: Re: Championship report: Two years running
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:42 am 
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire

Brad: thanks for judging, and for volunteering to judge again next year--I know it's a big sacrifice not to be able to play, but you're definitely right that the community benefits from knowing that there will be consistency in judging. So, seriously, thanks.

And I can say that, at least subjectively, games moved a lot faster this year. Last year I was involved in three 2-point games; this year I had zero. Some of that just goes to strategy--last year I ran Rebels because I wasn't really thinking about the 2 vs. 3 issue (and then I had four wins but not enough points to make the top 8). This year I ran something I knew would let me finish rounds, and I don't think I'm the only person who thought that way. So I suspect that the awareness that if a player only wins four games a 2-point win might as well be a loss, combined with you making it clear that 200 or 2 was the standard, helped encourage faster play.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:29 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

The_Celestial_Warrior wrote:
So, if at the end of a game you run your 10 hp 71 point character away from engagement, I will call stalling, but guess what....see above.

If the alternative is to give up 71 points needlessly and stupidly thus resulting in game loss, I'll gladly take the stalling warning and move on with my 2 pt. win. :)

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:33 pm 
Big Bad Brad
Big Bad Brad

Grand Moff Boris wrote:

If the alternative is to give up 71 points needlessly and stupidly thus resulting in game loss, I'll gladly take the stalling warning and move on with my 2 pt. win. :)

13 months later...he finally gets it.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:21 pm 
Mandalore
Mandalore

Grand Moff Boris wrote:

Im pretty sure his stance on it hasnt changed...

Wotc GTL: 52ish
Gamers GTL: 2 (dalsiandon, urbanjedi)

fingersandteeth wrote:
Also t4 for override and a cheeky flame.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:48 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Disturbed1 wrote:
Grand Moff Boris wrote:

You would be correct, my stance hasn't changed. The statement is what you would call sarcasm, due to the fact that I (still) believe such a stalling warning is punishing a player for strategic playing. If the player spends 3-5 minutes deciding whether to make the swap, THAT is stalling. If the player makes the decision and completes the action in less than 6-10 seconds, that in my opinion is not. It's a fine line between tactics and slow play, but I just defined for you where that line is. :P

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:14 pm 
Big Bad Brad
Big Bad Brad

Grand Moff Boris wrote:
Disturbed1 wrote:
Grand Moff Boris wrote:

You would be correct, my stance hasn't changed. The statement is what you would call sarcasm, due to the fact that I (still) believe such a stalling warning is punishing a player for strategic playing. If the player spends 3-5 minutes deciding whether to make the swap, THAT is slow play. If the player makes the decision and completes the action in less than 6-10 seconds, that in my opinion is not. It's a fine line between tactics and slow play, but I just defined for you where that line is. :P

Corrections made in underline, italics and bold :D

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:16 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Slow play/stalling, tomayto tomahto. :)