logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: 2011 Team Tournament Rules
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:32 pm 
Ugnaught Master!
Ugnaught Master!

This year's always exciting Team Tournament will be played with the following rules, some of which have been used in the past, some of which are a change.

1. Teams of Three will compete against other teams where both teams will roll one d20 to decide who gets to decide the first matchup. The other team then decides the second matchup, and then the final two players will face one another.

2. For squad building this year, here are the official 2011 rules.
a. Each player must play with a different faction.
b. Each persona of a Unique character may only be played per team. This means if one player is using Lobot (UH), then no player may play Lobot, CIO, only one person may use Mas Amedda, etc. If there is some loophole or discrepancy as to what will or won't work, contact the event judge beforehand. That would be myself, anyway!
c. Only twelve (12) of any one character is allowed per team, including reserves and reinforcements. This means if player A and player B each have 3 Mouse Droids, then Player C can have no more than 6 Mouse Droids in his or her squad.

3. Map list will be Standard.

4. Scoring will be 3,2,0. If a team wins all matches versus the opposing team, they will get 3 points. If they win 2/3, then they get 2 points.

5. Have fun!

Hopefully this answers all questions! If not, I will gladly address them here.

Post subject: Re: 2011 Team Tournament Rules
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:45 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

I'm glad b and c got in there, because I think they make it an even more interesting tournament. The team event has always been one of the most fun at GenCon, since people often play more unusual squads for it then they usually do. I like that being even further encouraged.

"You can't per aspera ad astra unless there's some aspera in front of your astra. And that means sometimes the aspera gets you." - Donald X. Vaccarino

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:47 pm 
One of the Sith on Malgus' Shuttle
One of the Sith on Malgus' Shuttle

This definitely makes it more interesting! Too bad I can't participate since I'll be judging the Sealed at the time, really enjoyed it 2 years ago. Guess I have something to hopefully look forward to next year (plus gives me time to form an alliance with someone since my previous teammates have thus ditched the game) ^_^

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:34 pm 
Big Bad Brad
Big Bad Brad

Once again I hate B, and really oppose C a month before the tournament...some of us have already been running our team squads....some of us have themes....basically the same argument I had againt B for the last 3 years!!!

Apparently I'm the only one who thinks about the team tournament immediately proceeding the previous year's team tournament!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:36 pm 
Big Bad Brad
Big Bad Brad

I misread C, don't think it's as big of an issue in my team, will have to check. Still, a month out??? seriously...unusual brain fart on your part...

Of course, that same argument will soon be used against me when I post the tiebreaker update later this week.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:41 pm 
Major Tierce
Major Tierce

that is frustrating only 3 weeks out.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:46 pm 
Big Bad Brad
Big Bad Brad

Wow! I misread B too. The last few years it had been proposed as this:

Each team may only use one unique with the same name. So one player may play Han Solo, Scoundrel and another may play Han Solo, GH but no two players can use Lobot UH.

Team America may be no more...

Way to give this one to the Canadians...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:52 pm 
Big Bad Brad
Big Bad Brad

Don't get me wrong I could totally support this on August 7th for the 2012 tournament as it would be tons of fun that way. Especially coming up with another theme...has anyone even noticed that my teams have themes each year??

The thing is Jason spent the summer "ruining" some of his VR's for me(and my team) for this tourney and that was based off of last years rules. So I'm a little annoyed that he may have "ruined" those for naught...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:55 pm 
Ugnaught Master!
Ugnaught Master!

Wow, sorry about the "brain fart." It isn't like I was 100% prepared to run my Mass Battles even before I was given all of Gencon to deal with. Pardon me for getting more eggs into my basket than I had planned.

I had these rules planned for a while, but just forgot to post them. And if the way I put the rules gives it to Team Canada, then I guess they are the better squad builders and players. Now, go prove me wrong! :P

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:03 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Go to the gencon website and read the part where it says team tourney rules are subject to change. Have you ever thought Canada wins cause they are good? Nah nevermind, just complain about it.

I think the changes are interesting. The 12 max of one thing stops the swarm I had in mind, I'll just change it from brutes to tuskans then.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:20 pm 
Big Bad Brad
Big Bad Brad

dvader831 wrote:
And if the way I put the rules gives it to Team Canada, then I guess they are the better squad builders and players. Now, go prove me wrong! :P

Let's be realistic here: There are only TWO Teams that will really be playing in this event.

Team Canada and

TEAMAMERICA

I felt far less inclined to play now because it is only 3 weeks out, and I felt like a lot of Jason's efforts were for naught. He apparently keeps better track of my teams squads than I do and reminded me that there are only two occurrences of repetitions among Uniques. Though non-uniques may be a more difficult venue...especially since many fo them were customized for this event....

Still I don't like change so close to the event, I don't care how long they've been planned as that is irrelevant.

The timing is poor and for that reason should have absolutely been avoided until August 7th! It's simple common courtesy and the irritations stems from a lot of wasted effort, time and money on my part.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:40 am 
Name Calling Internet Bully

Can't do this. Leave aside that Brad's team is screwed now, and VRs have been repainted for nothing for a second.

This makes it so individuals cannot find a team in the last hour to participate because it's way too hard to make sure the team doesn't overlap. I really don't understand the max of 12 idea either. So maxing mice at 12 is really going to do something? Lol.

Come on Ray, way too late to change the very squad building rules, I don't care how long this was planned. These aren't minor changes, nor do I agree that any of them are particularly useful in anyway. Too many people have already planned and put together their squads. Let's not make it harder for people to participate.

Back to 2010 rules please.

http://www.bloomilk.com/Squads/Search.aspx?UserID=29

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:24 am 
Ugnaught Master!
Ugnaught Master!

I someone can find me the official 2010 rules I will consider things. I just wanted to make something totally fun and diverse, so it isn't just a 200 point tournament. I don't want to see Mouse Dumps everywhere and a million Dodonnas. Is that a bad thing?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:36 am 
The One True Sith Lord
The One True Sith Lord

I really know that absolutely no one wants to hear or cares for my opinion.

But the I will say there was never any intention of changing the team rules unless someone came up with something concrete that all could agree to. There was never any intention of changing the rules with less than four weeks to go.... the statement of the rules could be changed was to deal with a positive change that was agreed upon by the majority of the community and not just the organizer having a wild hair up his ass at the last second. Again that is why it was written that way and the only reason. I will return to staying out of everyone's way.

Collection: 934/934

SWM DCI Content Manager

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:52 am 
Major Tierce
Major Tierce

After some consideration, I do LIKE the proposed rules. I like squad building challenges. However, I think this is something that we can implement for 2012 as 3 weeks out is a little bit short notice (esp considering that it is a major change.

Team America would still be ok under the new rules (only 2 duplicate uniques) so that is less of an issue than the fact it is only 3 weeks out.
I know Laura has spent a lot of time painting for this, but with only 2 duplicate uniques the timing is the real issue.

I think if we want to make new rules for 2012 we should decide on them this fall and have them in the gencon catalog (new rules Ray is proposing sound great for next year)

Just my 2 cents worth
BTW 2010 rules were no limits (just 3 squads of different factions (could use multiple of same exact unique, etc)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:20 pm 
Big Bad Brad
Big Bad Brad

I want to reiterate that I would LOVE these rules for next year. That way they can be posted on the Gencon website for the rare person that doesn't have a Gamers or BM account (it is posted there right?).

I thought about it a lot today and I do have one BIG concern about the rules this way though. It would seem to me that every team would gravitate to the following formula:

Imperial/Republic + Vong+ Random faction with all the mice.

The 12 figure limit is a little odd under Reserves/Reinforcements for minor reasons.

With Lobot gone in all but one squad it will be rare, but possible that two teammates do indeed have Fringe Reinforcements and the potential for a 10 mouse dump. IF both players did this it would violate the rule of 12, which would require them to discuss it prior to revealing to their opponent...now what if one of their opponents also had Reinforcements...gets a little sticky there I think, since he now has the opportunity to listen to the discussion.

Reserves on the other hand tend to gravitate to a very specific type, though not always. I'll use a Republic Double Death shot squad as reference, but Black Sun could work as well. What happens in a very lucky game where they manage to pull off multiple reserves. 12 could be reached very quickly, and what if they have the 12 figure limit but one is defeated. Can they bring in another??

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:38 pm 
Ugnaught Master!
Ugnaught Master!

Okay, I have thought about this all day long. I did take it personally they way it seemed like it was just another "Let's Beat Up on Ray" situation, and I know I should not have, and I apologize for my snide comment yesterday.

I do get the point of a change this late in the game, but I really hope people see my point, too. Without these restrictions, it will just turn into another 200 point tournament, but with teammates. I want to stray from that, but since we are only 3 weeks out, I will concede to table these ideas for this year's Gencon. They are great ideas, but it is late to the game. I've had the ideas for a while, but totally forgot all about posting them. Oh, well. Live and learn.

Go back to painting your pieces, you big bunch of whiney babies. (JOKING!!! mostly)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:41 pm 
Big Bad Brad
Big Bad Brad

dvader831 wrote:
Without these restrictions, it will just turn into another 200 point tournament, but with teammates. I want to stray from that,

Don't forget, I'm wanting to make next year's Sith Trials a faction pure (like the Sith) version of the JC, with likely some other tweaks...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:03 pm 

Let's revisit this in the post-Gencon thread. Looks like it will gain some traction this year, unlike last year :)

http://www.bloomilk.com/Squads/Search.aspx?UserID=29

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:24 pm 
Major Tierce
Major Tierce

very much in favor of discussing this (as well as other things) post Gencon for next year. (I want to run a Endor scenario next year).