SWMGAMERS.com Forums
http://swmgamers.com/forums/

Introducing Epic Duos - All New Gencon Event!
http://swmgamers.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=200&t=11326
Page 2 of 4

Author:  Disturbed1 [ Sun May 08, 2011 1:47 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Introducing Epic Duos - All New Gencon Event!

Segastorm wrote:
If I may ask, how are we going to be able to tell these cards from the regular V-set cards?



I would think the 3-digit point cost would be indicator enough, personally. However, different card design would be cool as well.

Author:  coffeebean [ Sun May 08, 2011 6:52 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Introducing Epic Duos - All New Gencon Event!

jedispyder wrote:
coffeebean wrote:
i realize these epic characters arnt meant for regular play but just wondering if they would actually be viable in a squad, or would they suffer the same problems as GMLS. do they have staggered atcivations like AT-AT?

also please say that you guys went out on a limb, an actually used a defense higher than 23. i will be dissapointed to see a 160 point figure with a defense of 21-23 :cry:

thanx

Don't forget, it's not as much about the Defensive as it is the Defensive Powers.



so i take it as a "No we didnt."

Author:  coffeebean [ Sun May 08, 2011 6:53 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Introducing Epic Duos - All New Gencon Event!

Segastorm wrote:
If I may ask, how are we going to be able to tell these cards from the regular V-set cards?



the card will be circular, and inflatable :D

Author:  Echo [ Sun May 08, 2011 7:41 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Introducing Epic Duos - All New Gencon Event!

coffeebean wrote:
jedispyder wrote:
coffeebean wrote:
i realize these epic characters arnt meant for regular play but just wondering if they would actually be viable in a squad, or would they suffer the same problems as GMLS. do they have staggered atcivations like AT-AT?

also please say that you guys went out on a limb, an actually used a defense higher than 23. i will be dissapointed to see a 160 point figure with a defense of 21-23 :cry:

thanx

Don't forget, it's not as much about the Defensive as it is the Defensive Powers.



so i take it as a "No we didnt."


I wouldn't put words in anyone's mouth. It's a good point that he made; a character with 26 defense is still less "defensive" then a character with 21 defense, Lightsaber Defense, and MotF 2.

Author:  jedispyder [ Mon May 09, 2011 1:19 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Introducing Epic Duos - All New Gencon Event!

coffeebean wrote:
so i take it as a "No we didnt."

I have no clue if they did or didn't, lol. I'm sure they thought outside the box. My point was "you don't have to be a 27 Defense to be an Epic character when Cad Bane just needs to roll less than 10 to hit you".

Author:  lonescout [ Mon May 09, 2011 2:42 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Introducing Epic Duos - All New Gencon Event!

This event alone is probably the greatest part about this years Gencon Tourny! I won't be going to Gencon, but it sounds like it will be a blast!!!

Author:  coffeebean [ Mon May 09, 2011 5:20 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Introducing Epic Duos - All New Gencon Event!

@echo and jedispyder,

im not saying defensive powers ar not as good, what im saying is an "epic" character needs all the help they can get. at 27 defense, true cad bane needs a 9 to hit but that is a lot better that only needing a 2 or 3. a 160 point character faces 160 pts of enemies, probably attacking at +14 combind doing 300-400 damage per round, i dont care if you have master of the force 20, that epic will burn through all his FPs in the first round and then have to rely solely on his pitiful 21 defense.

defense never kept pace with attack damage in this game. if it had we would have jedi's with high 20s and low 30s defense right now.

this game is all about percentages, and low defense=die quick. unless they give every epic figure soresu style mastery.

Author:  keith [ Mon May 09, 2011 6:44 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Introducing Epic Duos - All New Gencon Event!

Ruhk wrote:
Segastorm wrote:
If I may ask, how are we going to be able to tell these cards from the regular V-set cards?


There will be one significant difference, that will make it impossible to be confused with other v-set cards. In additional, the styling/graphics/layout will be different.


Jumbo sized cards?

I was wondering, Do you know if I get a set of these extra cards for donating for R&R? I can't get time off to go to GenCon.
Are these different from the "Battle of Theed" cards I heard about?

Author:  jedispyder [ Mon May 09, 2011 7:15 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Introducing Epic Duos - All New Gencon Event!

keith wrote:
Are these different from the "Battle of Theed" cards I heard about?

Yes, Epic is different than Battle of Theed.

Author:  keith [ Mon May 09, 2011 8:32 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Introducing Epic Duos - All New Gencon Event!

jedispyder wrote:
keith wrote:
Are these different from the "Battle of Theed" cards I heard about?

Yes, Epic is different than Battle of Theed.


Thanks,

It also helps to re-read the main post :oops:

I can't wait to donate for a couple sets!

Author:  dirrwj [ Tue May 10, 2011 9:18 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Introducing Epic Duos - All New Gencon Event!

I gotta question for you guys. I have never been to Gen Con before and would like to just check out the events and processes that take place. According to the Gen Con website I gotta buy a badge to get into the entrance and then an event ticket to participate. I was thinking about just being a spectator for this year just to kinda take in how everything works, and cause I live in Cincy so its only a two hour drive.

Anyway, didn't know if I donate to all the sets if I could recieve the cards with just a spectator badge or if I had to be in an event. Like I said I'm new to this stuff so I'm not sure how this works. I thought the two hour drive would be worth checking it out and hopefully picking up my cards as well. If someone could let me know how this works that would be awesome!!

Author:  billiv15 [ Tue May 10, 2011 9:29 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Introducing Epic Duos - All New Gencon Event!

dirrwj wrote:
I gotta question for you guys. I have never been to Gen Con before and would like to just check out the events and processes that take place. According to the Gen Con website I gotta buy a badge to get into the entrance and then an event ticket to participate. I was thinking about just being a spectator for this year just to kinda take in how everything works, and cause I live in Cincy so its only a two hour drive.

Anyway, didn't know if I donate to all the sets if I could recieve the cards with just a spectator badge or if I had to be in an event. Like I said I'm new to this stuff so I'm not sure how this works. I thought the two hour drive would be worth checking it out and hopefully picking up my cards as well. If someone could let me know how this works that would be awesome!!


The plan is to hand out sets to those playing in sealed events first. Everyone else at Gencon, including pointmen, will get their sets to distribute on Sunday at one time. If we have a situation with someone who is only there for a certain day or something, we will work that out on an individual basis, but it won't be an issue. Everyone wins by handing out the sets, rather than more mailings :). As for observing, that's totally fine, but I highly suggest playing something. You can always wait until you get there, take a look around, and buy some generic tickets and play in whatever floats your boat. We have the second largest set of events for any miniature game at Gencon behind only Heroclicks - not bad for an entirely fan run set of events! There are anything from totally fun to the World Championship. I promise you, there will be something for everyone, and sometimes 2 somethings for the same person :)

Author:  dirrwj [ Tue May 10, 2011 1:19 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Introducing Epic Duos - All New Gencon Event!

Sweet, thanks for the info Bill. I will try to make sure that I am there at least Saturday or Sunday to get the V-Set cards to cut down on shipping. Besides giving another donation ( since mine was one of the few orginal that got messed up in the mess ), is there anything else I need to notify you guys that I am coming to pick up my cards besides giving you my name and forum ID when I get to GenCon? If so just let me know!

PS. I really appreciate everything you and all the people involved are doing to keep the game alive!!!

Author:  DarthJawa [ Wed May 11, 2011 5:47 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Introducing Epic Duos - All New Gencon Event!

dirrwj wrote:
Sweet, thanks for the info Bill. I will try to make sure that I am there at least Saturday or Sunday to get the V-Set cards to cut down on shipping. Besides giving another donation ( since mine was one of the few orginal that got messed up in the mess ), is there anything else I need to notify you guys that I am coming to pick up my cards besides giving you my name and forum ID when I get to GenCon? If so just let me know!

PS. I really appreciate everything you and all the people involved are doing to keep the game alive!!!


a word of note for you, as a veteran of several gen cons. If you plan to go more than 1 day, you should just buy a 4-day badge. It ends up cheaper. Also if you buy a badge before the summer cut off date you get it cheper than at the door, and you dont have to wait in as long of lines. You should also check out the event list for sw minis. If you make an account with gencon (if you havnt already) the events are uner nonhistorical miniatures.

Author:  FlyingArrow [ Wed May 11, 2011 12:04 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Introducing Epic Duos - All New Gencon Event!

All this and nobody has yet guessed who the Epic characters will be?

Some guesses...

Sith: Darth Bane
OR: Jedi Exile
Separatist: Sidious
Republic: Mace, Obi-Wan
Empire: Vader
Rebel: Yoda
NR: 160 point Luke
Mandalorian: Boba Fett
Vong: ?
Fringe: Cade Skywalker, Jabba the Hutt

I hope they're legal for regular matches as well, even if they're not competitive.

Author:  Grand Moff Boris [ Thu May 12, 2011 10:30 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Introducing Epic Duos - All New Gencon Event!

I believe it was stated that these will not be legal for skirmish play. When you see them you will understand why.

Author:  billiv15 [ Thu May 12, 2011 1:32 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Introducing Epic Duos - All New Gencon Event!

Grand Moff Boris wrote:
I believe it was stated that these will not be legal for skirmish play. When you see them you will understand why.


In terms of Regionals and Gencon, this will be true. But you are more than welcome to play them at the local store in 200pts if your group wants to. I don't think you will want to to be honest (Luke GM is barely playable at 200, and these guys mostly cost more than him). They are really designed for Epid Duo Format and for larger fun games.

Author:  Disturbed1 [ Thu May 12, 2011 2:34 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Introducing Epic Duos - All New Gencon Event!

My guesses:

Sith: Darth Bane
OR: Revan
Rep: Mace, Obi-Wan
Sep: Dooku
Reb: Yoda
Imp: Palpatine, Vader
NR: Mara Jade
Fringe: Boba
Vong:??
Mando: Jango

Edit: I could maybe see Luke getting the Rebel spot, but considering he already has a 110+ pt version, I would think he would have been a secondary choice for who to make.

Author:  coffeebean [ Mon May 16, 2011 7:26 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Introducing Epic Duos - All New Gencon Event!

i have a good feeling darth maul might be in there.
quadruple twin attack with sith rage and jedi hunter. ....oh ya and rolling cleave.

oh ya and an epic jabba is sure thing

Author:  R5Don4 [ Mon May 16, 2011 8:14 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Introducing Epic Duos - All New Gencon Event!

I want to play too:

OR: Lucien Draay
Sith: Darth Revan
Separatist: Darth Maul
Republic: Yoda
Rebel: Luke Skywalker
Imperial: Darth Vader
New Republic: Jaina Solo
Vong: Warmaster
Mandalorian: Mandalore the Ultimate
Fringe: Boba Fett

Bonus:
Separatist/Sith/Imperial: Darth Sideous
Republic: Mace Windu

Page 2 of 4 All times are UTC - 6 hours
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/