logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Mass Battle Events
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:14 pm 
The One True Sith Lord
The One True Sith Lord

Ray,

Are you doing the Mass Battle events again this year?

If so I need you to let me know what the four events are going to be and give me a paragraph for each to go into the catalog.

FYI

I have already submitted the entire Jedi Challenge to Gencon and trying to get these nailed down pretty quickly.

Collection: 934/934

SWM DCI Content Manager

Post subject: Re: Mass Battle Events
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:10 pm 
Ugnaught Master!
Ugnaught Master!

I'm on it. Look for something tonight/tomorrow.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:25 pm 
Ugnaught Master!
Ugnaught Master!

Here are the first two plans. I have one more idea running around in my head. Let me sleep on it, and I'll give you a final word on what all I am going to run.

Quote:
Star Wars Miniatures Mass Battle: Showdown in the Desert
This is a Star Wars Mass Battle taking place in the Old Republic/Sith Era, using miniatures from the Old Republic, Sith, and Mandalorian Factions. Players will only need to bring a 20 sided die and have some knowledge of the Star Wars Miniatures game. Two teams of six will battle against each other using pre-set miniatures already provided and set up on the battlefield.

Quote:
Star Wars Miniatures Mass Battle: The Original Trilogy
This is a Star Wars Mass Battle event reenacting many famous battles from A New Hope, The Empire Strikes Back, and Return of the Jedi. Players will be in control of Darth Vader, Luke Skywalker, Han Solo, and many more of your favorite characters from the Original Star Wars Trilogy. Players will only need to bring a 20 sided die and have some knowledge of the Star Wars Miniatures game. Two teams of six will battle against each other using pre-set miniatures already provided and set up on the battlefield.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:35 pm 
The One True Sith Lord
The One True Sith Lord

ok but which one for thursday?

then which 2 for friday?

then lastly saturday

Collection: 934/934

SWM DCI Content Manager

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:33 am 
Ugnaught Master!
Ugnaught Master!

Quote:
Star Wars Miniatures Mass Battle: The Clone Wars
This is a Star Wars Mass Battle event depicting two important confrontations from the Clone Wars. The Battle of Geonosis was the start of the Clone Wars, and Darth Vader’s Assault on the Jedi Temple was the final conflict. Players will control many of the famous Republic Jedi from the Clone Wars or the Droid Army of the Separatists. They will also be able to guide Anakin Skywalker and his 501st Legion through the halls of the Jedi Temple while the remaining Jedi try to fight him off. Players will only need to bring a 20 sided die and have some knowledge of the Star Wars Miniatures game. Two teams of six will battle against each other using pre-set miniatures already provided and set up on the battlefield.

Okay, this should work out in a very awesome way! I can't wait to get it all together.

How about we do this one on Thursday, the Old Republic twice on Friday, and the Original Trilogy on Saturday. Does that work for your plans, my Lord? LOL

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:17 pm 
Ugnaught Master!
Ugnaught Master!

Here is the Mass Battle rules which Dean asked me to work on. Suggestions?

Star Wars Miniatures Mass Battle General Rules

The Star Wars Miniatures game models were created for skirmishes of all sizes, and the largest contests are known as Mass Battles. These battles begin at 250 points and have no maximum point value other than the imagination of the Game Master.

The Game Master must be aware of the most important rule of all Mass Battles. “The players must have fun.” There is no other reason to spend the time involved besides ensuring that all players enjoy the time spent playing. Be willing to change aspects of the game on the fly if it appears something is not working as it was intended. The players are the main focus at all times.

Mass Battles are best enjoyed as multi-player events with all players separating into equal teams, both in player numbers and skill level. These teams work together towards the common goal(s) of the event. The teams alternate back and forth activating the miniatures on the Battle Grid.

To run a Mass Battle, you will need the following:
1. Miniatures - These will be the character models on the Battle Grid which players will use to battle against the other team(s).
2. Dice - Each player will need a 20-sided die to use for rolling attacks, saves, and initiative. It is highly recommended to have other dice around to keep track of hit points and Force points on the respective miniatures.
3. Battle Grid - For the purpose of having a collective term for the many maps which may be used in the event, the maps are known as the Battle Grid.
4. Other items - Paper and pen are suggested for keeping score, and sometimes for tracking hit points and Force points on characters. A laser pointer is very handy for directing players’ attention to a specific piece or area of the Battle Grid.
5. Patience - Many times, the players involved are not solid Star Wars Miniatures players, and they will not be the fastest or most strategic players. The Game Master must be aware of this, and be able to adapt his ideas or the game to compensate for this.

There are two types of goals involved in Mass Battles: objectives and defeating enemy pieces. Objectives can be anything the Game Master decides is worthy to award points for, examples being entering a building, reaching a certain area of the map, holding off the enemy for a set number of turns, locating an enemy spy among the ranks, etc. All aspects of objectives are solely up to the Game Master. Defeating enemy pieces is done just like the Star Wars Miniatures skirmishes, and players score points equal to the cost of the defeated piece.

Mass Battles may use any produced models of the Star Wars Miniatures line, and custom pieces and statistics may be created and used as well. If custom created characters are used, it is recommended that all teams have an equal amount of created pieces, both for fairness and so all teams will have an equal interest in being played.

Mass Battles should be played with a specific time limit to dictate when the event will end. With the amount of characters being used, playing until one team is the only one standing can take a very long time. Two to four hours is a good range, depending on the size of the armies and the skill level of the players.

In cases of a larger player event, the Game Master can enlist the help of other people to help. We call these people the Apprentices. If a game has an Apprentice, or multiple Apprentices, besides just helping with duties which the Game Master usually has to do on his own, one other special aspect can be giving advice to a team when asked. It is recommended that, if you are allowing this, that you limit the amount of times each team can ask for strategy. If a game has more than one Apprentice, then each one should be assigned to a team for advice.

Mass Battle Terminology:

Apprentice: This is a person who is assisting the Game Master with running the event. This is not a necessary position, but can speed the game up with keeping score, collecting defeated miniatures, and other tasks. With prior approval from the Game Master, the Apprentice can be available for questions or advice during the game. The amount of times advice can be given should be limited in each event.

Game Master: The person who supervises and coordinates the event. The Game Master is often the same person who has created the scenario for the event. This person makes all rules judgments, collects defeated miniatures, and oversees all other aspects of the battle. The Game Master should never offer strategy or opinions to any teams.

Battle Grid: The map or collection of maps used in the battle.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:59 pm 
Ugnaught Master!
Ugnaught Master!

Bump for Dean to find. If anyone else has any suggestions on any of this, feel free to let me know.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:28 pm 
Mandalore
Mandalore

Location: Aboard the Exocarrier Resalute, waiting to free all SWMer's from Tyrnany
looking good so far

Member of the SWMRAC
Member of the Completed till the End and Beyond Club

Come rate my squads on Bloomilk...http://www.bloomilk.com/Squads/Search.a ... dalsiandon