Mark forums read

Post subject: Re: Value Guide Commentary
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:43 pm 
General
General

soggybottomboy2469 wrote:
ARC Troopers for starters.

Then it is the OOP stuff.

Currently, with TFU, I'm curious to know with the Evo Troopers.

Not sure really, I just recently used the RTVI for a comparison in a trade I was working out becuase I don't usually trade that way, but had to find some common ground to base what my offer entailed and show how it was comparable to the minis I was asking for.

I'm of the opinion that a VR for VR and R for R is the standard, and 2 Rare for 1 VR is pretty common. But, you have those incidences where the demand is truly higher (BH Boba, BH Jango) and you need to "sweeten" the deal for those pieces.

Nowadays, I'm finding that although I can put together a "sweet" deal, traders would rather hold onto those precious tradeable minis for the next best deal. I don't trade that way, so it is hard to comprehend because if I am getting an equal deal and are getting minis that I really want, there isn't any harm. It may be that I trade on a higher volume too, so a trade will come and go and I'll still trade and there will always be a deal for be done in my book.

Plus, I always base Commons and Uncommons on the $0.50 for C and $1 for UC. Usually this is pretty fair and as you said, there are certain ones that are in higher demand, so they do trade for more.

Anyways, I know we've done some serious trading in the past with our huge deal, so I figured it would be a good conversation to initiate since we had done such a huge trade.

More commentary the better as far as I'm concerned.

Thanks.

-b

First: I do agree that more discussion about this is necessary and that's why I have this thread and I wish more people (like you) would try out the values to see what's what.

I tend to agree with the VR=VR and 2R = 1VR, etc. However, there really seems to be some variability in some R & VR, both up and down; off the top of my head: Bail Organa, Tion Medon, Nute Gunray, Boba-BH, the Sith Lords, etc. Some of the one's that I would consider of low value, though are also out of print which will change things significantly. Also R/VR that are in huge sets are more expensive to get in the first place and it seems that has an impact on the value. Some regional cluster almost seems to occur, too. All of this being said, I assumed that the free market economy of the internet would be a good gauge and so applied this methodology to see what we got.

You said you tried it in a trade; how did it work out?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:17 pm 
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire

I'll let youk now.....still pending with slow correspondence.

-b

SWM Promo Resource Thread: http://boards1.wizards.com/showthread.php?t=515328
My trade thread: http://swmgamers.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=208
Star Wars Mini Trader - Come Trade With Us!
http://www.smithohio.com/swminis/
bkweikert@embarqmail.com

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:37 am 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

How did you come up with these numbers?

It's a lot of work to keep such a list up to date because external events, such as the release of a new set, reprinting in a non-random set, and sets going OOP can all impact the sale price of a mini, years after its initial release.

Personally, when I'm too lazy to survey eBay completed item auctions, I just check the prices at Strike Zone. Their prices (for both buying from Strike Zone and selling to Strike Zone) are dynamic, based on how much inventory they have. This means that when an old mini suddently becomes more popular (due to synergy with something new, e.g. Chew3PO with Garm) they fly off the shelves and prices ratchet up to reflect the increased demand. And when Darth Vader Imperial Commander suddenly shows up in the Hoth pack, people like me immediately sell their extras to Strike Zone, increasing their inventory and causing the price to drop, reflecting the increased supply. This ability to self-correct based on external factors is what makes their prices so accurate over the long term.

Strike Zone's pricing is market-driven, automated, exhaustive, and always up-to-date - ideal for calculating relative trade value - though I usually drop their prices about 20% when figuring cash value for trades. That's their premium for being an online store.

I'm unlikely to use this RTVI unless the methodology is better than the Strike Zone price index.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:39 pm 
General
General

barzillai wrote:
How did you come up with these numbers?

It's a lot of work to keep such a list up to date because external events, such as the release of a new set, reprinting in a non-random set, and sets going OOP can all impact the sale price of a mini, years after its initial release.

Personally, when I'm too lazy to survey eBay completed item auctions, I just check the prices at Strike Zone. Their prices (for both buying from Strike Zone and selling to Strike Zone) are dynamic, based on how much inventory they have. This means that when an old mini suddently becomes more popular (due to synergy with something new, e.g. Chew3PO with Garm) they fly off the shelves and prices ratchet up to reflect the increased demand. And when Darth Vader Imperial Commander suddenly shows up in the Hoth pack, people like me immediately sell their extras to Strike Zone, increasing their inventory and causing the price to drop, reflecting the increased supply. This ability to self-correct based on external factors is what makes their prices so accurate over the long term.

Strike Zone's pricing is market-driven, automated, exhaustive, and always up-to-date - ideal for calculating relative trade value - though I usually drop their prices about 20% when figuring cash value for trades. That's their premium for being an online store.

I'm unlikely to use this RTVI unless the methodology is better than the Strike Zone price index.

I stated in the thread that it is derived from 5 of the most utilized online sites and is, hence, itself market driven. And, yes: Strikezone is one of them.