logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Value Guide Commentary
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:42 pm 
General
General

Since I wanted to keep the actual value guide as clean as possible, I figured I'd start a thread for you to post suggestions and critques of the above Guide.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:52 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

Darth Vader imp Cmdr-
since the release of the Hoth pScenario pack, do you still think his value($24.95) is so high? that's like full third of the Hoth pack's price...

and the others as well?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:10 pm 
General
General

The Madman wrote:
Darth Vader imp Cmdr-
since the release of the Hoth pScenario pack, do you still think his value($24.95) is so high? that's like full third of the Hoth pack's price...

and the others as well?

A) I don't think the Hoth Pack has been out enough (or available enough) for us to start seeing the impact on the prices yet.

B) This is for relative trade value, not necessarily what you'd be willing to shell out $$$ for. For instance you see that an DV, IC may be worth roughly say a Leia, RH and a Dewback.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:26 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

I see your point

My issue was sombody this very day pointed to your list
and attempted to make a point of it's value-

which I found laughable-
1 because it's not an "Official" recognized list(but it is mostly good)
2 because some of my peers need it -
but
since the Hoth pack came out
I feel it's relative value is now just under $8

for a $60 "investment" a person could now get MANY of VR figs at a mear fraction of the cost that were previously Highly valued

Much like the RS Obiwan Kenobi that is now in the current starter-
what once was a solid $20 fig is only viewed at a fraction of the cost now becaus of a $12 starter pack

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 8:24 am 
General
General

The Madman wrote:
I see your point

My issue was sombody this very day pointed to your list
and attempted to make a point of it's value-

which I found laughable-
1 because it's not an "Official" recognized list(but it is mostly good)
2 because some of my peers need it -
but
since the Hoth pack came out
I feel it's relative value is now just under $8

for a $60 "investment" a person could now get MANY of VR figs at a mear fraction of the cost that were previously Highly valued

Much like the RS Obiwan Kenobi that is now in the current starter-
what once was a solid $20 fig is only viewed at a fraction of the cost now becaus of a $12 starter pack

$8 is too low INHO for 2 reasons:

1) The hoth pack is not as easy to get as everyone would like and it's a limited run; so it's not like the starter pack in that regard.

2) Collectors value each base stamp as being unique. I personally don't care, but there are enough folks that do that that mini's value isn't changed by it being included in a non-random set. So that would add (actually prevent loss of) some value, as well.

And again, I don't mean to discuss each mini's value and I don't mean for the values to be definative, but I want to see if they are close enough for me to say: "Hey guys, make me a list off of may Have/Want list and here are the values; get 'em close and we have a deal." The guide started out for me to save myself some haggling. (ever since a "top trader" suggested that the actual value of common stormies was 4 for a VR). If I need to add sites, or modify my process slightly to get to that point, I'd like to know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 3:41 pm 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I just want to say thanks for compiling the list. It's a good reference point, for sure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 4:45 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

Menoth's Fire wrote:
$8 is too low INHO for 2 reasons:

1) The hoth pack is not as easy to get as everyone would like and it's a limited run; so it's not like the starter pack in that regard.

2) Collectors value each base stamp as being unique. I personally don't care, but there are enough folks that do that that mini's value isn't changed by it being included in a non-random set. So that would add (actually prevent loss of) some value, as well.

I agree a lot with what you are saying-

Myself as a player, then a collector absolutly hate when a "Collector" tries to bargan UP a pieces' value by declairing it's "Rariety"
"...but han in carbonite is a VR...!"
yeah, so is Tion Medon and Leiah Captive...

as I said befor ethe list looks very good and I'm glad sombody as dedicated as you was able(Willing) to do it
thanks
BM

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 10:46 pm 
General
General

dnemiller wrote:
Ok So I like it Menoth..... like you said it is relative.... so nice jumping off point for potential traders as well as new players who may not know the value of the pieces they have....

I also am glad to have you as a member of the Trade Forum.... both you and Celticindian..... you guys dont forget JAwa_Scum also...

Nice job.... and thanks for getting the GTL in alphabetical order.... I really was not looking forward to doing that....

I cheated; I cut and paste into an excel sheet and then sorted by name ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 6:55 am 
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice

I like what you are doing with this. Nothing looks too far out of whack to me. Can be a handy guide for trade negotiating. Like you said, it's not the set-in-stone value but an average of what stores are asking. Any thought about adding some of the more sought after UCs (ARC, Mandalorians, etc.)? I know it is a lot more work, but you asked for suggestions. :D

It might be a bit easier to read if you put the set name at the top of each grouping. Maybe list them in order by set number?

BTW - tech tip - you can sort in Word as well for lists like this if you go to TABLE, then SORT. Only can sort by the beginning of the item and not various columns, but I've found it gives back less alignment issues than Excel when dealing with web stuff. Just another option for anyone who didn't know.

Great job on putting this all together - it is greatly appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 12:57 pm 
General
General

I have ARCs, ECTs, UC huges if there are some others that are highly-sought, I'd take some suggestions... but not too many ;)

Also, I knew you could sort in Word but didn't realize there was a spacing difference, thanks its pretty annoying.
Squid89 wrote:
I like what you are doing with this. Nothing looks too far out of whack to me. Can be a handy guide for trade negotiating. Like you said, it's not the set-in-stone value but an average of what stores are asking. Any thought about adding some of the more sought after UCs (ARC, Mandalorians, etc.)? I know it is a lot more work, but you asked for suggestions. :D

It might be a bit easier to read if you put the set name at the top of each grouping. Maybe list them in order by set number?

BTW - tech tip - you can sort in Word as well for lists like this if you go to TABLE, then SORT. Only can sort by the beginning of the item and not various columns, but I've found it gives back less alignment issues than Excel when dealing with web stuff. Just another option for anyone who didn't know.

Great job on putting this all together - it is greatly appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 4:21 pm 
General
General

I changed the name of the "price guide" to better illustrate it's intent. I also added an extra bit in the prologue which I hope will help clarify it's intended purpose to new users.

Also, I'd like to remind everyone:

~ PLEASE DO NOT POST IN THE INDEX THREAD ~

It is vitally important that we keep that thread as clean and easily-understood as possible!

Post subject: Re: Value Guide Commentary
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 8:43 am 

ORIGINALLY POSTED BY Lord_Nihil:

wow,
I would consider all of these prices to be above average.

Its a good reference list though.

Probably accurate when each piece was initially released.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 8:44 am 

ORIGINALLY POSTED BY Boris:
I agree with Lord Nihl.

I have a serious problem with this thread. I think most of the values assigned here are 1) too high; and 2) not really relative. What might go for $10 in one area could go for $15 in another, or vice-versa.

When it comes to trading, it comes down to what each individual is willing to do. For example, I would love it if someone offered me $25 straight up for Lord Vader, but in the year or so that I've had an extra one, no one ever has.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 8:46 am 

ORIGINALLY POSTED BY Menoth's Fire:

Boris wrote:
I agree with Lord Nihl.

I have a serious problem with this thread. I think most of the values assigned here are 1) too high; and 2) not really relative. What might go for $10 in one area could go for $15 in another, or vice-versa.

When it comes to trading, it comes down to what each individual is willing to do. For example, I would love it if someone offered me $25 straight up for Lord Vader, but in the year or so that I've had an extra one, no one ever has.

Apparently I haven't made it clear what "relative value" means. I specifically stated that this is not a straight dollar value. For instance, LV may not sell for $25, but he is certainly worth a mini (or minis) whose Index value is equal to about $25. So when you say that all of the values are "high", that's good. If they were all over the board, then their RELATIVE value would be skewed. I thought the '$' would help folks understand that upon which these values are based, but apparently some aren't bothering to read the header, so I'll have to drop the dollar sign and add an expanded explanation of what "Relative Value" means.

P.S. These are based on internet prices and are not based on "regional" prices nor is the online trading that these forums support, for which this list was made. Welcome to the intarnets.

P.P.S. It's funny that you used Lord Vader as an example as I moved 2 LVs on the WotC forums earlier this year, 1 for $30 worth of minis and the other for about $27, and I had to turn other trades down that wanted him; so I'm not sure where your problem in trading him lies.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 9:25 am 
General
General

I changed the Values into a trade rating so as not to confuse folks unduly. Additionally, I tried very hard to make the intro both more understandable and less easily-ignored. I also took the suggestion to add set headers.

Has anyone used this yet?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:41 am 
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire

What kind of RTVI rating are we putting on Commons and Uncommons? Anything specific?

-b

SWM Promo Resource Thread: http://boards1.wizards.com/showthread.php?t=515328
My trade thread: http://swmgamers.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=208
Star Wars Mini Trader - Come Trade With Us!
http://www.smithohio.com/swminis/
bkweikert@embarqmail.com

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:23 am 
General
General

soggybottomboy2469 wrote:
What kind of RTVI rating are we putting on Commons and Uncommons? Anything specific?

-b

That's not a bad question. I'd like to do the same thing with all C/U, but frankly it's too much work for me. I think $1/$2 is roughly good for most C/U with Stormies, large Uncommons, highly-utilized and out-of-print minis being a bit more. Even though many of these don't actually sell for more than that (stormies, for instance, are readily available for $1 or less each), they have a higher RTV when compared to the above (slightly high) R/VR RTVs.

Using my extensive rares-for-stormies trading technique, I see that Stormies fall between 1.25 and 1.5 (Uncommon stormies would probally just be 2 with so many Common stormies floating around).

What else were thinkihng about?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:35 pm 
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire

ARC Troopers for starters.

Then it is the OOP stuff.

Currently, with TFU, I'm curious to know with the Evo Troopers.

Not sure really, I just recently used the RTVI for a comparison in a trade I was working out becuase I don't usually trade that way, but had to find some common ground to base what my offer entailed and show how it was comparable to the minis I was asking for.

I'm of the opinion that a VR for VR and R for R is the standard, and 2 Rare for 1 VR is pretty common. But, you have those incidences where the demand is truly higher (BH Boba, BH Jango) and you need to "sweeten" the deal for those pieces.

Nowadays, I'm finding that although I can put together a "sweet" deal, traders would rather hold onto those precious tradeable minis for the next best deal. I don't trade that way, so it is hard to comprehend because if I am getting an equal deal and are getting minis that I really want, there isn't any harm. It may be that I trade on a higher volume too, so a trade will come and go and I'll still trade and there will always be a deal for be done in my book.

Plus, I always base Commons and Uncommons on the $0.50 for C and $1 for UC. Usually this is pretty fair and as you said, there are certain ones that are in higher demand, so they do trade for more.

Anyways, I know we've done some serious trading in the past with our huge deal, so I figured it would be a good conversation to initiate since we had done such a huge trade.

More commentary the better as far as I'm concerned.

Thanks.

-b

bkweikert@embarqmail.com

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:43 pm 
General
General

soggybottomboy2469 wrote:
ARC Troopers for starters.

Then it is the OOP stuff.

Currently, with TFU, I'm curious to know with the Evo Troopers.

Not sure really, I just recently used the RTVI for a comparison in a trade I was working out becuase I don't usually trade that way, but had to find some common ground to base what my offer entailed and show how it was comparable to the minis I was asking for.

I'm of the opinion that a VR for VR and R for R is the standard, and 2 Rare for 1 VR is pretty common. But, you have those incidences where the demand is truly higher (BH Boba, BH Jango) and you need to "sweeten" the deal for those pieces.

Nowadays, I'm finding that although I can put together a "sweet" deal, traders would rather hold onto those precious tradeable minis for the next best deal. I don't trade that way, so it is hard to comprehend because if I am getting an equal deal and are getting minis that I really want, there isn't any harm. It may be that I trade on a higher volume too, so a trade will come and go and I'll still trade and there will always be a deal for be done in my book.

Plus, I always base Commons and Uncommons on the $0.50 for C and $1 for UC. Usually this is pretty fair and as you said, there are certain ones that are in higher demand, so they do trade for more.

Anyways, I know we've done some serious trading in the past with our huge deal, so I figured it would be a good conversation to initiate since we had done such a huge trade.

More commentary the better as far as I'm concerned.

Thanks.

-b

First: I do agree that more discussion about this is necessary and that's why I have this thread and I wish more people (like you) would try out the values to see what's what.

I tend to agree with the VR=VR and 2R = 1VR, etc. However, there really seems to be some variability in some R & VR, both up and down; off the top of my head: Bail Organa, Tion Medon, Nute Gunray, Boba-BH, the Sith Lords, etc. Some of the one's that I would consider of low value, though are also out of print which will change things significantly. Also R/VR that are in huge sets are more expensive to get in the first place and it seems that has an impact on the value. Some regional cluster almost seems to occur, too. All of this being said, I assumed that the free market economy of the internet would be a good gauge and so applied this methodology to see what we got.

You said you tried it in a trade; how did it work out?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:17 pm 
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire

I'll let youk now.....still pending with slow correspondence.

-b

bkweikert@embarqmail.com