logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Lurker finally poking his head out
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:19 pm 
Unnamed Stormtrooper
Unnamed Stormtrooper

So, I've been a lurker here and at Wizos and Bloomilk for some time now. I finally came up with some things that I'd like to chat about, and I thought it was only proper to introduce myself first, and describe myself as a player.

My name is Dan, and I'm currently based out of Richmond, VA. I only ever play SWM at home with my girlfriend, but luckily for me, she's an avid gamer as well and takes to any game I introduce her to very well. We're also Magic players, and that influences what kind of gamers we are in general.

We're very casual gamers, but more in the "we don't play to win" mentality. I try to keep us as up to date as I can on current DCI rulings. We used Gambit for a while, until we realized we never really needed it, as we both always tried to completely wipe the other person's team.

We rarely use uggies, as we never try to lock out a person after a points lead. We rarely use cheap fillers in our squads to up the activation count. And, we have a hard time using fringe pieces if they clash too thematically. I.E., we'll use Lando, DS in an Imp. squad, but not an OR one.

Much like how we play Magic, our goal with squad building and playing is more to come up with an idea, and then try to get that idea to work. The win/loss doesn't matter so much as the feeling that the squad at least did something.

Lately, our squad building process has gone this route: we look at a particular mini that interests us and let it fester in our minds (this usually happens after drafting some boosters). We then come up with a random name for the squad, then we build the squad around the name and idea.

Recent exploits included:
- "I Did It All for the Wookie" - Clone Commander Gree and all the random wookies we could fit in
- "Scum and Villainy" - every mini we had that had "Scoundrel" in the name
- "Loose Cannon" - based around Clone Commander Cody and an obscure line from an obscure show, Frisky Dingo
- "Medium Pimpin'" - Mando squad with a Quartermaster and Gunslingers ("Big Pimpin'" is the version with Boba Fett, MC)

While we don't have him yet, we're currently trying to figure out a squad for Cade Skywalker, BH called, "Citizen Cade".

Anyway, just thought I'd let you all know what kind of player will occasionally be chiming in on things. :D

Post subject: Re: Lurker finally poking his head out
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:06 pm 
Name Calling Internet Bully
Name Calling Internet Bully

Sounds good, welcome aboard and I look forward to hearing from ya! I'm a big fan of creative squad names, so a couple of those just make me smile.

http://www.bloomilk.com/Squads/Search.aspx?UserID=29

Post subject: Re: Lurker finally poking his head out
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:00 pm 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

Location: Yes, I am yet another Canadian. Keeping the game alive on life support in the GTA.
Welcome to the party. You sound like you've got your head on straight and will be enjoying this game for many years to come.