logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: New Here
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:46 pm 
Unnamed Wookiee
Unnamed Wookiee

Hey everyone, my name is Zuty and I am new to the site and somewhat new to the game.
I started playing last summer and absolutely love the game. I play in a small town in PA at a local gaming store where I also get my minis from. The reason I got into the game was that I had 40$ bucks and rather then buy Magic/WoW cards the store owner told me to try out Star Wars Minis, so I bought a Bounty Hunters pack and pulled Boba Fett, BH. I just had to play now, so we started up a league and I have been getting better and better ever since. My new years resolution for 2009 is to become the best SWM player I can be. I never really strive to be the best, but I would like to be good enough that if I played outside of the store I wouldn't get last place.

I guess that it, so hello everyone and I look forward to becoming an avid member of this site.

~Zuty

Post subject: Re: New Here
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:20 pm 
Ugnaught Master!
Ugnaught Master!

Welcome, Zuty! You have found a great place to be for talking, learning, having fun, and socializing with everyone else who has learned why they call Star Wars Minis "Plasti-crack!"

If you have any questions, always feel free to ask!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:26 pm 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

where in PA you from??? I grew up in PA but I dont live there anymore! If you are near my rents house maybe we can play if I ever visit up there.

welcome to the site!

[spoiler="Nomi's Severed Force List"]After Two Game's Played:
Luke Hoth Pilot Unleashed
Master Kota[/spoiler]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:23 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Welcome to the site! We have a couple other members on here from PA (DarthJim is the first one I'm thinking of right now). How did you learn about our site here? If you have questions, I hope you feel welcome and free to ask away. We have a good 'Rules Forum' here and the 'Archives' are an excellent place to check for a quick ruling if you're in the middle of a game. While neither are 100% 'official' they are kept as up to date as possible, and pretty easy to use.

Welcome!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:04 am 
Name Calling Internet Bully

Welcome aboard! And I suggest downloading and installing Vassal. It is by far the best way to improve your game and its generally a blast to hang out with your minis friends.

http://www.bloomilk.com/Squads/Search.aspx?UserID=29

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:31 am 
Unnamed Wookiee
Unnamed Wookiee

Sorry for the late reply, a lot has been going on in the past week.

I live in Ambler PA and play at a store called Dimension Collectibles where we have a lot of good players, but we are all still learning and love the game. I am within walking distance of the store, so I am always there.

I found out about this site awhile ago on the WotC forums, but didn't sign up right away. But now I am here and hopefully I have time this week to look around and get my feet wet.

I actually just found out about Vassal the other day on the WotC forums and installed it, but have no idea how to build a squad :P

Thank you all for the warm welcome,

~Zuty

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:34 pm 
Unnamed Wookiee
Unnamed Wookiee

If you ever do decide to make the trip to Ambler, I look forward to meeting you and gaining any knowledge you can pass on.

We do have a really good group of players going every Friday, we have been playing 200 format for a few weeks now, but will be switching it up with themed played (No Commanders/No Fringe/ETC.) and possibly a Poor Mans Format which I have yet to see with SWM. (No rares/uniques, max of 3 uncommons, rest common. 100-150 format) We are always trying out new teams and focus more on becoming better players, both as a store and individually, then trying to go for the throat and win first place. Its a very friendly place to play and I would be honored if anyone from SWMGamers was able to stop by for a visit. (I am usually there 24/7 :P)

~Zuty

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:27 pm 
Unnamed Wookiee
Unnamed Wookiee

Darth Jim - yep I remember talking to you. I agree that PA is a little lacking in players :( . Zuty is a great player and comes up with some amazing ideas. If he is asking questions on here, that means trouble for everyone else :mrgreen:

Take care guys - if you are PA (near Philly) contact me and come check us out.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:42 pm 
Unnamed Wookiee
Unnamed Wookiee

We did have unsanctioned play on Saturdays for SWM for a week or two before the holidays. I would like to see SWM on Saturdays again, but I know it was hard for players to show it because the older players would spend time with there family while the younger players would either show up or be home playing WoW.

I will talk to Rob about starting up SWM on Saturdays as a way for the players to get better and for new players to learn the game.

~Zuty

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:21 am 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Zuty wrote:

I actually just found out about Vassal the other day on the WotC forums and installed it, but have no idea how to build a squad :P

~Zuty

Check out www.bloomilk.com, its by far the best darn starwars miniatures website for building squads and checking out up coming sets. It got a bunch of people who are on it and you can learn about new squad strategys and ideas.

Definelty get some time on vassal! Its a great place to learn and vastly improve your game. You might want to join the GVL (Gamers Vassal League) also for a great place to have fun and be in an online league, since it is hosted by this site.

Welcome to the game! and
"may the force be with you"-obiwan kenobi

Aliit ori'shya tal'din ("Family is more than Blood")
To learn Mandalorian, go to http://www.karentraviss.com/html/mando.htm.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:59 pm 

Rob and Zuty, you two play with DarthBabylon on the WoC site at your local store correct?

Any insight you can give me to his behavior? He was quite rude last night on Vassal and I am just trying to confirm that he isn't really that bad in real life, or something like that. Anyways, he said you two know him and to talk to you. Any insights you can offer about him, yourselves, your venue, etc would be appreciated. If needed, send it via PM.

And Rob, he gave you a great compliment. He said you were the best minis player he had ever seen, and that you never make mistakes :)

http://www.bloomilk.com/Squads/Search.aspx?UserID=29

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:33 am 
Unnamed Wookiee
Unnamed Wookiee

I sent you a PM Bill, hope it helps.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:03 pm 
Unnamed Wookiee
Unnamed Wookiee

unfortunately we are famous for the wrong reasons 8) ... many now know me as the greatest Mini's player ever :roll: (according to some), but in reality, I barely play.

I know who runs the show ( <--- points to Dean and Bill). I appreciate what you guys do for the game in all seriousness...our SWM community/business is outshining many of the games we carry. Last week we had 13 players, a new record for us. Zuty and myself constantly plug this site to help make other players smarter, so I for one am glad to be here.

Thanks guys - Rob

Oh, and all this smack talk has made me break out the mini's again...lol..hopefully once I figure out Vassel, you guys can hand me my butt in a game.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:02 pm 
Unnamed Wookiee
Unnamed Wookiee

I haven't been able to go online much with college and all, but I lol'd when I read DBs posts on the Wizo forums and when he told me in person what he said (cause it got removed) ... I still am laughing.

DB is a great guy, he does smack talk often but its far from trying to be rude. The other day he managed to get 4 attacks off with IG-88 and one shot General Aayla Secura. DBs response to his opponent "Get that s*** outta here!" as he tossed the Aayla aside.
FYI, the reason he hates Elite Rebel Commandos is because I wreaked his GGDAC team with them. Of course, I only picked off smaller figures, but I think I did get a good shot on GG. But he is a very nice guy and he does know a lot about the game, albeit, his logic can be flawed time to time and he does contradict himself ... (He talked for 3 hours at the store on why Dodonna ruins the game ... It was epic ...) He is getting better and he had a great opportunity to play and chat with the best SWM players in the world, I envy him for that. I am trying to get good on my own and I have A LOT of training to do, but I am glad for DB.

Hopefully, he'll become a better player, because that's exactly what I want at Dimension Collectibles (our store). I want to face the best of the best each week, but also face unique team ideas so I don't see the same team over and over. So I am on the same page with DB in the sense that playing against Speedy Cannon for three weeks straight is boring ... but, hey if it wins, it wins.

I am trying to get better at SWM, I really would LOVE to be a judge for it (NickName, your my hero), but I do not care if I win or lose. Its a game, you need to have fun with it. And SWM has been the single greatest game I have EVER played. It has a community unlike any other and while I do get mad at the occasional player or feel like cursing out a poster on the Wizo fourms, I don't. Judging from what DB said on the Wizo forums, DB must have a big pair of bollocks. (lol)

~Zuty

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:05 am 
Unnamed Wookiee
Unnamed Wookiee

Just for the record, I do not condone what DB says, after reading Dean's posts about DB cursing infront of Dean's son, poor sportsmanship and just being rude, I guess that's just one parent to another (with swearing infront of your son), I feel that is inexcusable.

I send well wishes to your Wife Dean and hope things are ok. I feel that's it's a shame when I have to apoligize for one of my players, but I will. Like Zuty said, DB is a good guy....he is just to the point where he is trying to razz you guys, he is just going about it poorly and making himself and where he plays look bad.

I can't get past his posts where he claims that he will never play a teir 1 squad, that Old Republic sucks and blah, blah, blah...you certainly can't complain when you are too stuborn to change, won't listen to advice and your answer is to swear and accuse everyone of cheating, so that's on him.

Zuty, my son Robert (whose 8 yrs old) and myself are eager to improve and hopefully we will (sooner or later) make a trip to Gen Con to connect with you guys, as we feel we can add something to this great game. You will hear more from me and I am once again starting to play and I am looking to improve and become a bigger part of this community. Thanks again guys for looking past one player.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:34 am 
Ugnaught Master!
Ugnaught Master!

I learned something from the first LGS I've been accustomed to, and along with all of the others I am associated with. There can always be one person who gives the store a bad name, but I for one would never judge a whole gaming group by the worst of the worst (I'm not saying DB is the worst, just chiming into the conversation). There was one guy I couldn't stand at my LGS, and was happy when he moved. Then, he started showing up at a diffrerent store that I play at, and the S.O.S. started all over, so back to square one (square one being I doubt I'll play there very often).
I'll be the first to admit DB really pissed me off the other night, to the point that I think I lost my "online temper" for the first time ever. I can't say I'm sorry, b/c he deserved what I said, but I truly hope his online persona is as fake as you say.
btw, your coming to Gencon some day would be awesome. I'm already counting down the days, ha ha ha

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:33 pm 
Unnamed Wookiee
Unnamed Wookiee

I'd love to go to GenCon. Probably not to play, but just to sit/learn/and talk to the best of the best. I really would love to talk more to Bill and Dean, I just have a lot of questions.

@ Dvader - I am sorry DB pissed you off, but he really isn't like that in real life. He may argue for 3 HOURS about a single figure and why it ruins the game, but its all fun and it almost turns into a 'Meeting of the Minds'. Everyone begins to chime in and give their two-cents and it sparks new team ideas that we will see down the road.

Maybe we should drag DB with us to GenCon :D

~Zuty

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:12 pm 
Unnamed Wookiee
Unnamed Wookiee

Ok, so Gen Con is not gonna happen...since the Pokemon World Championships is the same exact weekend in San Diego. My Son currently is 3rd in the World and should earn an invite, hopefully :D so we will be making that trip. But, I really would have loved to have played.