logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: So I think I done something silly (as a GM!)
PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:44 pm 
Jedi Battlemaster
Jedi Battlemaster

I've basically allowed a droid PC to attach extra arms to his chassis, and so long as he's got enough guns, then he can make 4 attacks a round.

I've made him take Dual Weapon Mastery I and Multiattack Proficiency(Pistols) for each set of hands.. however he's still got a fairly insane attack bonus and can count on hitting 3/4 shot a round for an average of about 60-70 damage.

As we go on.. I'm starting to think that I may have made a mistake allowing it. I'm considering limiting him to a modified Dual Weapon Mastery, where I create a new Feat(in exchange for the 2nd DWMI) that allows him to make one additional attack when sending a full round to perform DWM with a similar weapon type. I would also allow him to re-assign the 2nd Multiattack Proficiency if he wants.

There is a 2nd thing I did.. as a new GM when players created their characters I erroneously told the plays that they would have 'the number of skills equal to the highest of their classes'. which is incorrect.
This lead to having characters with far too many trained skills. Not sure if it is worth changing at this point.

Still generally having fun GM-ing and I have simply been making the opposing NPCs more difficult to make the combat harder. (ie, tweaking the defenses so that they need double digits to hit/affect with FPs)

Join the FOLLY! Online casual League, find out more here: FOLLY

Post subject: Re: So I think I done something silly (as a GM!)
PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:02 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Mistakes happen, and at this point, it's probably just better to do stuff like create tougher enemies. On the other hand (no pun intended, lol) you could create a situation where your droid PC loses his extra limbs somehow. :P Droids are notoriously tough characters to run, IMO.

On the flip side....is he using 4 guns? I would make him take AT LEAST a -10 penalty if not a -15 if he's attacking with all 4 of them. Regular DWM just reduces your penalty from -10 to -5 if you're using 2 weapons as a full round action.

The other thing you can do....start throwing enemies with Damage Reduction at them. His 60-70 damage per turn won't do much (assuming it's only 10-20 per shot) if the enemies have DR 15 or 20. I think you have some Jedi in the group too, so this would force the Jedi to do the heavy damage work.

Just a couple of ideas to get you started. :)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:05 am 
Mandalore
Mandalore

Beat me to it, Lobo :P

I was gonna suggest him losing the extra arms somehow also. Problem is that your going to do so, if thats the route you choose, in such a way that he cant just repair it and be ready to go again within a few days.

If you are wanting them destroyed, you could wind up with a player who spends all his time in town looking for a new arm instead of weapons, etc lol.

If someone is hunting the party, they would probably be aware of the droids multi-arm-talents, and could be prepared for it. Ion gun or grenade to take him out, and then kidnap, reprogram him, and send him back to the pcs 'Ive escaped', really means 'ive been sent back to stab you in the back lol'.

In my experience most players are at least somewhat ok with stuff like that, but maybe thats just my friends :P

Wotc GTL: 52ish
Gamers GTL: 2 (dalsiandon, urbanjedi)

fingersandteeth wrote:
Also t4 for override and a cheeky flame.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:58 pm 
Jedi Battlemaster
Jedi Battlemaster

Hmm, the reprogramming route may be interesting for a near end of campaign Idea.

I've thrown guys with the ET's DR1 at them and they kinda groan a bit at that.. DR 5 might make for some interesting comments.

Well yes he's using all 4 arms and all 4 guns.
He started at -10 on all, then -5 on each pair when he took DWMI twice (once for each set of hands), now he's also taken Mutli-attack Proficiency twice.. reducing the -5 to -3.

Of course, Point Blank Shot and Weapon Focus: Pistols, generally reduce the -3 to -1..

finally we can add to that the Jedi Consular/Noble buff that adds (by player recogning.. my not be correct, must investigate this..) +4 to his attack, while within 6 of that ally.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:41 am 
Mandalore
Mandalore

What kind of buff is that? Are you sure it would apply to droids? Im playing a droid myself in the game Im in, and having just taken a level of Independent Droid at lvl 4, I can now make it so I am subject to beneficial mind affecting abilities. If he doesnt have whatever ability I gained by taking that class, he may actually be immune to the effects of the buff.

Kinda the downside of playing a droid...

That, and when the rest of the party encountered an evil Force Spirit, I got to stand around goin "Who are you talking to?"

Wotc GTL: 52ish
Gamers GTL: 2 (dalsiandon, urbanjedi)

fingersandteeth wrote:
Also t4 for override and a cheeky flame.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:36 am 
Third Jedi from the Left
Third Jedi from the Left

I'm not sure how you could fix it now without a complete ret-con, but having 4 arms shouldn't allow 4 attacks anyway. The Codru-Ji (Legacy Era CG) just let you dual wield two-handed weapons and the Kiliks and homebrew near-humans (Unknown Regions) reduce the penalty for multiple attacks by 2.
If you don't want to make your player completely remake his character, though, I'm also a fan of the reprogramming option. The only thing more dangerous for PCs than an enemy with multiple attacks is an enemy with multiple attacks and the element of surprise :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:15 am 
Jedi Battlemaster
Jedi Battlemaster

Yes, looking back on it.. it was silly.

Oh well. the campaign is a short one (just until the end of the summer) so I'm not worried about too much other stupidity going on.

But here's another question:
If a jedi character rolls a 20 on a block or deflect check, does that count as rolling a 20 to get all their force powers back.

and on a related note.. Soresu Style + Deuling Short Saber sucks.. :P for me the GM that is!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:22 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Is Block or Deflect a Force Power? No, it's a talent. So rolling a 20 on that does not replenish your Force Power suite. You can however add powers back to your suite one at a time by spending a Force Point for each one. That's something I hadn't even cought until just recently.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:46 pm 
Jedi Battlemaster
Jedi Battlemaster

okay, just wondering, because as my PC pointed out, in the book it reads:

"If you roll a natural 20 on a Use the Force check, you regain all spent Force powers at the end of your turn."

but it says nothing about that the check needs to be on activating a Force Power.

or is this an Errata thing?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:52 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Hmm....honestly, I'm not sure. It might be that it works for Block/Deflect. I just assumed that the since it talks about the rolling a 20 under the 'Using Force Powers' section (Page 95), that it only applied to when you were trying to use a Force Power.

May have to go ask on the WOTC boards, because honestly, now I'm not sure, haha. It's never really happened to me yet.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:49 am 
Third Jedi from the Left
Third Jedi from the Left

In the updated core rulebook (the one that has the telekinetic descriptor and other errata stuff) page 95 says you regain all spent powers when "you roll a natural 20 on a Use the Force check to activate a Force power," so no, it wouldn't work with block/deflect. Good news for GMs, I guess.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:08 am 
Jedi Battlemaster
Jedi Battlemaster

ah, okay. I must have the original printings then.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:16 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Woah...didn't realize there was a new printing of the Core rulebook that included the Erratas. That's cool.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:16 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

Voren_Chalco wrote:
In the updated core rulebook (the one that has the telekinetic descriptor and other errata stuff) page 95 says you regain all spent powers when "you roll a natural 20 on a Use the Force check to activate a Force power," so no, it wouldn't work with block/deflect. Good news for GMs, I guess.

??? Cool! Where do you get the updated Core Rulebook?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:12 am 
Third Jedi from the Left
Third Jedi from the Left

I think its just the newer printing. I didn't know it was updated myself until I saw the telekinetic descriptor and then double checked the talents that use it. I guess you would have to check each copy to find one.
It might even be an Australia thing (but I doubt it, we tend to get the cast offs, not the new stuff).