logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Noob questions about SW RPG and DoD
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 2:35 pm 
Third Jedi from the Left
Third Jedi from the Left

I would like to learn how to play the SW RPG. In makes sense to me to use a preconstructed format like DoD.

My questions are these:

* How long does a typical DoD module take to play thru?
* What is the smallest group of players to make this work well? Would 3 players (aside from the GM) work?
* Are there any specific challenges a knowledgeable GM would face with all 3 players being new to RPGs?
* Is DoD even a good choice for noobs, or would a different adventure be advisable?

I appreciate your responses!

Post subject: Re: Noob questions about SW RPG and DoD
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:20 pm 
One of the Sith on Malgus' Shuttle
One of the Sith on Malgus' Shuttle

dojimaster wrote:
* How long does a typical DoD module take to play thru?

I've been playing about once a month for almost 2 years and it seems to take us about 5 sessions or so. We play for about 5 hours or so, but we did take some side missions. Your DM can make it go faster or slower.
dojimaster wrote:
* What is the smallest group of players to make this work well? Would 3 players (aside from the GM) work?

My group works pretty well with each other and we've got 6 players and our GM. Generally, Lackey (our GM) will cancel a session if we only have 3 players coming in. So I'd shoot for a minimum of 4 players if you could, not sure how well a 3 player group would work.
dojimaster wrote:
* Are there any specific challenges a knowledgeable GM would face with all 3 players being new to RPGs?

Never been a GM so can't answer that, but when I started the majority of us were still pretty new so the GM has to have patience with the group. They won't know exactly what to do yet (I had NO clue when I started) so you might want to explain the things that they can do, that helped me out.
dojimaster wrote:
* Is DoD even a good choice for noobs, or would a different adventure be advisable?

Truthfully I think DoD was a good choice for me because there is a definite plan on where things are going. In my D&D group the DM is winging it as he goes, and sometimes he gets caught up with not having enough stuff ready for us and gets himself into difficult situations that he has to think about how to get out. So it might partially depend on the GM's creativeness. I think my GM has stated how some of the encounters make no sense, but I'm sure it'll work out either way you go...