logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: RPG Questions
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:04 am 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

I figured a forum should be set up to get answers to questions people may have about rules, talents, force powers and other things. If your a GM and need some help on a rule or situation, post your questions here. If your a player who wants to know what some talents do for you and how they can be used, post here.

Aliit ori'shya tal'din ("Family is more than Blood")
To learn Mandalorian, go to http://www.karentraviss.com/html/mando.htm.

Post subject: Re: RPG Questions
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:09 am 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

To start things off, I have a question about a force power some are using in my gaming group. The Force Power is Force Shield. On as sucessful Use the Force Roll of 15 or better, you get the benefits of a SR. Now I know this power can reduced damage from ranged attacks or negate them if the damage doesn't go over the SR, but does this force power protect against melee attacks? Is it kinda like a force bubble in SWM, where it protects agaisnt any attacks?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:28 pm 
Jedi Battlemaster
Jedi Battlemaster

The way that I've played SR is that it negates 'energy' attacks.

Now your definition of energy can be as broad as you'd like it to be.

Most Blasters are considered energy damage. I believe lightsabers are also energy.

However, most melee weapons are piercing or slashing damage.

So you can easily rule that a physical attack with not be negated by the SR.

On the other hand, you can rule that the SR simply negates all damage headed its way (think about shields on a starship level, consisting of both ray(blocks energy) and particle(blocks physical, ie impacts/asteroids, etc) shields. This would be a much simpler ruling, thought not entirely accurate.

The RPG's discussion of SR is covered in KotOR

Join the FOLLY! Online casual League, find out more here: FOLLY

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:58 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Yeah, to make the RPG fair, gotta have Force Shield only work against Energy weapons. If you have someone in your play group abusing it, start throwing things at them like enemies with Slugthrower Rifles, Gammorean Guard's with Vibro-axes, etc.

Look at the weapon lists in the various books and pick some things other than 'Energy' weapons to throw at them.

(Sorry I didn't get back to you on your PM about it. Let me know if you still wanted further help ;) )

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:22 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

The main thing to remember about Force Shield is that it takes a standard action to keep the shields going from round to round. This means as long as the shields are up, the character cannot take any actions other than a single swift and a single move action. Also since it is treated just like SR, each time the damage exceeds the SR value, that value reduced by 5. The shields will not last long at all if the character is under constant attack and unless they have dedicated additional uses of Force Shields to their Force Suite, they will not be able to use the power again that encounter.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:56 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

I have another question regarding Attacks of Opportunity. My brother is a jedi in my gaming group and he is going to get Kinetic Combat next level as one of his force powers. This power makes it so you can float your lightsaber around and attack people, but it also can flank people as well that may be attacking you or your allies. Do enemies that attack the jedi's allies or himself, provoke an attack of opportunity from the floating lightsaber that is flanking that enemy?

I know the book gives lots of examples of actions that provoke aoo's but I was just wondering what other GM's have done for situations like this. It seems to me that getting attacks of opportunity with your floating lightsaber would be way to good, and that's why I'm hesitant to grant them, but I just want to make sure.

Oh and thanks everyone for the help with Force Shield ruling. That really makes a lot more sense now that its been explained to me.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:57 pm 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

on page of 87 of FU its says you can make Aoos and they are treated as if they are from the user. Kinetic Combat cant use feats or talents with it so its only a 2d8(single lightsaber) plus half level and charisma mod.You can only make one aoo per round unless you have combat reflexes in the rpg. So I dont see it being that big a deal since it can only be one aoo a round since combat reflexes cant be used.