logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Starting?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:26 pm 
Unnamed Wookiee
Unnamed Wookiee

Ok I play SWM with my brothers and while we have fun doing this, being brothers frustrations occur and all that fun stuff we then take a break for a while. We have started to wonder if Role playing would be a better path for us or at least for a break away from strategy. Problem is I have know idea where to even begin to start role playing and I am not sure if three people is enough to play? very confused SWM player looking for guidance

PS: I did read some of the other starter problem threads didn't help me much :(

Post subject: Re: Starting?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:50 am 
Warmaster
Warmaster

To play you need a copy of the core book an at least two people, one to tell the story and one to act in the story. It is better to have three or four actors also called players. Before you play the story teller, or GM, needs to read the whole book to have a basic knowledge of the game.

I would suggest using a premade game like Dawn of Defiance for your first run.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:18 am 
General
General

TreebeardTheEnt wrote:
I would suggest using a premade game like Dawn of Defiance for your first run.

That is a very good idea. The Dawn of Defiance campaign is pretty well laid out so newcomers can have a story to follow to help them get used to rules, running a game, playing characters, etc. But it's also a role-playing game. That can be intimidating to new gamemasters. Especially when players stray from the script.

An intermediate step is to play the Star Wars Miniatures Campaign Edition (SWMCE) that you can find links to on this site. Or contact Fool. This lets you get a feel for creating characters, playing them, and "levelling up."

Or try both and see which you prefer.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:31 am 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

Chargers wrote:
TreebeardTheEnt wrote:
An intermediate step is to play the Star Wars Miniatures Campaign Edition (SWMCE) that you can find links to on this site. Or contact Fool. This lets you get a feel for creating characters, playing them, and "levelling up."

+1
SWMCE is a really fun way to play SWM, and it's a much simpler version of the SWRPG. You still need a GM and at least 1 player (preferably more), but it's much easier to get into. It's also free! :) Once you get comfortable with SWMCE, I think you'll find the shift to the SWRPG to be not so difficult at all.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:11 pm 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

As Said by the previous legend, CE is acgreat medium for this. Although the runboard site fell into a bit if disrepair with some shoddy management, I assure you that u should gave the links fixed shortly and the supplements back in a downloadable state.

Thanks for the interest and hope to see you there!!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:02 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

thereisnotry wrote:
Chargers wrote:
TreebeardTheEnt wrote:

+1
SWMCE is a really fun way to play SWM, and it's a much simpler version of the SWRPG. You still need a GM and at least 1 player (preferably more), but it's much easier to get into. It's also free! :) Once you get comfortable with SWMCE, I think you'll find the shift to the SWRPG to be not so difficult at all.

+1

I have had some of the most fun on Vassal playing RPG doing SWMCE. It has been a while since we last had our last session, as life tends to get in the way of even the best laid plans. I'm glad to see Steve is alive and well! :D There is hope for more mini's mayhem in the future! Steve is the guy who practically is the driving force behind SWMCE and a great GM, so check runboard, and maybe some day we will get another campaign started up.

Aliit ori'shya tal'din ("Family is more than Blood")
To learn Mandalorian, go to http://www.karentraviss.com/html/mando.htm.