logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: SWRPG questions??
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:58 pm 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

Ok, so after a lot of time im finally about to start playing the star wars rpg. Just a few problems, I only have 2 players, and both them wanted to play in the clone wars era. Right now im reading the dawn of defiance campaign and planed to run that. Is there any way I can even do that with only two players? Im a good D&D gm but I havent done SW RPG at ALL. Do I half stats or what? If some one who knows about this could please help me. Also is there any dawn of defiance campaign typed moduals set in the CW era? Much thanks to any one who can help!

Post subject: Re: SWRPG questions??
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:25 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

If you have less players you just adjust the Challenge Level of the encounter. The CL rules are a little clunky so I created a calculator to help with it that I have attached. If I remember correctly DoD was designed for four characters. So for the most part you would use half the number of characters.

[edit] removed attachment

Last edited by TreebeardTheEnt on Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:37 pm 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

Hey there, I really appreciate but is there any tutorial on how to use it? :? I really have no clue what to use...or do with it

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:28 am 
Warmaster
Warmaster

Sorry, your players are entered in the top field and your challenges are entered in the bottom I will update the file tonight with comments.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:32 am 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

Here is what I see at the moment. Im kind of confused why it says Level 5 and also im lost as to what everything else means...if you could help explain it to me I would be most greatfull, and if there could be anything I could do to repay you please let me know.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:43 pm 
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice

Since Dawn of Defiance is designed for 4-6 characters you could just let each player have 2 (or 3 if you really want) different characters, rather than bother adjusting the CL/enemies per each encounter.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:26 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

That column is what level the character will be at after going through the encounter from the second table. Since I did not clear out the last encounter I did the characters would be level 5 if they lived.

In the bottom table each row indicates an encounter, and each box represents a challenge. So, for example, if your players were going up against one Dewback you would enter the creatures CL of 2 in one of the boxes. On the far right it would tell you that the encounter is a "Real fight and brace for one or more hero deaths." Now the sheet does not take into account circumstances that can tip the scale in one direction or the other. Like the Dewback not being in melee range to begin the fight.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:13 pm 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

So for first encounter if (i dont know actualu CL levels so just please roll will it) theres 4 CL 1 storm troopers 1 CL 3 storm trooper commander and and 1 CL 4 Imperial probe droid, under the 'fill in challenge levels in the table below' for 1-4 I would put as 1, for 5 I would put it as 3 and for box 6 mark it as 4? Then under the calculations box is the next thing I dont understand, again, I appreciate your help sooo much and if theres anything I can do in return let me know.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:53 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

That is correct. So looking at the calculations section I give you the combine CL per the rules, the adjustment (the rules assume 4 characters so this is the handicap), the total CL with the handicap, then the challenge rating. For the most part the only numbers you need is the final CL and the rating. In you're example the CL is 8 and the rating is a 7. What that means is that it would be a challenging encounter for a party with an average CL of 8, one higher (CL9) or one lower (CL7). The rating is the CL difrence between the players and the encounter. For the most part you want to keep this number low.

This encounter would most likely kill first level players as indicated by the comment section. If they do survive the they each receive the Member XP and the rules sagest 3,000 credis in cash or goods for each player.

When I GM I always start the characters at 3rd or 4th level so I just found an error in the sheet. I have updated the corrected version with your example in it.

[edit] Remember, with the box at the top set to 'yes' this sheet is only good for calculating total CL of varing levels. With the top box set to 'no' it will calculate the CL of like chalenges. (I will have to find time to fix this later.)

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:29 am 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

Ok cool, im starting to get it. And IDK if I told you, or if it makes a difference, but im going to have 4 players now. But back to the questions. Should I keep that box on the top on yes or no? Because it looks like it totally changes the difficulty level and im still not exactly clear on how it works. And with 4 characters plugged in at level and on the encounter table I have it marked as just 1 CL 2 droid (first encounter in DoD) and it still says its a difficult encounter. But if I change it to NO it changes to just plain easy. Help? lol

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:15 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

There was a "clarification" that changed the rules. If you mouse over the box it will explain the change.I would play the encounter and see how difficult it is for the players then choose.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:32 pm 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

Im still confused, if I have it on NO and I have 5 players all at level 1. I have an encounter with CL's of 4/2/2, does this mean they will die for certian?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:11 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

No, because you have control of the three opposing characters. But there is a always a chance (if they do something stupid).

If 5 level one characters fight 2 level two and 1 level four character you have a "Tough but fair challenge." Which is what you aim for most of the time.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:18 pm 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

Awesome. Your the best dude. I think I have just 1 last question under xp what does the lvl 6+ stand for?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:26 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

if a character is of that level or higher they get a reduced number of XP because the encounter was not a challenge for them. You use that more when you have a Jedi Master and apprentice in the same group, both being used by players.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:36 pm 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

You the best dude. Thanks a million.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:18 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

The more I looked into this, the more scripting errors I fouind. Attached is the current file with all the errors removed.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:36 pm 
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire

Is your calculator just geared towards swrpg or will it work for other rgp's as well?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:27 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

It was built using the rules on page 274 or the core rule book for the saga edition of star wars. If there is other games that use CL to determine encounters it may work (maybe D&D 4.0).What game did you have in mind?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:43 pm 
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire

3.5 d&d. And if its creation level/char level then that is the same system :)