logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Advice needed on Saga RPG Books
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:00 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

So, I'll start this off by saying that I've never played the Star Wars RPG, but would like to start. My idea for a fun campaign would be one during the Dark Times era in between Episodes III and IV, where characters are struggling with the rising power of the Empire, or joining them.

So my question is: what books would be best to purchase for this era/type of game? I'm guessing the Core Rulebook, but what else besides that? Also, is there any place to get them cheap? Let me know, thanks!

Post subject: Re: Advice needed on Saga RPG Books
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:17 pm 
Jedi Battlemaster
Jedi Battlemaster

Core is a good one to start with :)

Rebellion Era would be good.
Jedi Academy if you want to have some force users
The Force Unleashed has some cool stuff
Clone Wars is good for soldiers/trooper type heros
Kotor is awesome, but impossible to find (I still need one :( )

Miniature Market has some books, and look at a site called Hill's Wholesale Gaming. they have some too.

Join the FOLLY! Online casual League, find out more here: FOLLY

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:33 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

Ugh. This is sounding like a serious financial commitment. :(

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:51 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

If you look hard enough you can find PDFs of the books on-line, though I suggest getting the hard copies. The only book you really need is the core, anything after that is icing on the cake. There are also great websites you can use to supplement Like:
saga-edition.com
fandomcomics.com/sourcebooks/

You might also enjoy a premade campaign like Down of Defiance for your first game (PM me and I can get you the free PDFs Wizards put out).

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:02 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

I'm really just interested in finding a campaign for the Dark Times era. I found the Core Rulebook online, and I'm trying to get the other RPG books but the downloads are going pretty slow. I plan on buying the Core Rulebook, but I just needed to find it online to get an idea of how things work since I've never played any RPGs before. Thanks for the help!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:15 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

Also, I can't find a physical copy of the Core Rulebook for less than $75. Eesh! Is there anywhere cheaper to get it?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:23 pm 
Jedi Battlemaster
Jedi Battlemaster

mmmm.. no ? I think it is getting harder to find.

or:

http://search.4shared.com/q/1/saga%20edition?suggested

for pdf copy.

Join the FOLLY! Online casual League, find out more here: FOLLY

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:28 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

Yeah, I got the pdf, which is good, but I'm a fan of physical books. I guess I'll have to settle for the pdf though. *sigh*

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:44 pm 
Really Cool Alien from a Cantina
Really Cool Alien from a Cantina

I would suggest looking into the West End Games Star Wars RPG books. Even if you don't want to use the D6 system (although I like it quite a bit), they released literally dozens of books with enormous amounts of backstory and some really great adventures. When Timothy Zahn started writing the Thrawn trilogy, Lucasarts gave him a stack of WEG RPG books because they had developed the Star Wars universe far beyond anything Lucas himself had come up with.

Unfortunately Lucas took the license from WEG in order to give it to Wizards, and WEG subsequently went out of business. Because they don't exist and the books are out of print, I have no compunctions about grabbing PDFs from the Internet, although you can also find used copies for sale on Ebay without too much difficulty. The books are also filled with tons of original concept art from Ralph McQuarrie et al.

If you want specifics, The Far Orbit Project and Domain of Evil are, IMHO, brilliant adventures. The former involves the PCs carrying out a series of privateer missions in a stolen Imperial warship, and includes details down to a set of charts detailing how much the price of, say, bacta will go up once you plunder a few convoys. The latter starts with the characters crash-landing on a deserted world, chased by ruthless bounty hunters - except they very quickly realize that the world itself, steeped in the dark side of the Force, is the more dangerous enemy by far.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:30 am 
Unnamed Stormtrooper
Unnamed Stormtrooper

May be Rebellion Era would be good because It is a dark time for the galaxy. The Empire is in complete control and the last of the Jedi are nothing but a faint memory. Yet as the Emperor tightens his grip on the galaxy, the Rebel Alliance grows stronger, drawing more systems to its cause. The conflict between the Rebels and the Empire is at the center of the Rebellion era, and now your heroes have the chance to make their mark on the Galactic Civil War like never before. And the Imperial era was characterized by the implementation of the Emperor's political program, referred to as the New Order. Although the Emperor did bring peace to the galaxy as he had promised, that result was achieved through brutal repression. As a result, the Age of the Empire also saw the birth of the Alliance to Restore the Republic. 24 Oras is the good for this.