logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Nebraska Regional Results
PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 12:51 am 
Unnamed Stormtrooper
Unnamed Stormtrooper

Well, today we had 18 people show up from the regionals. We really had a great mix of a lot of different stuff. It was a great time, and I'm sure everyone else would say the same.

And the results,

(The number is the place finished in Final Four)

1. Andrew Prystai (5-0, 2-0 in Final Four)
Map: Throne Room
Luke's Landspeeder
Lobot
Fernis Olin
Hand Scoundrel
Princess Leia
Bothan Noble
General Reikan
General Dodanna
Juno Eclipse
Mouse Droid

3. Torrance Richter (4-1, 0-1 in Final Four)
Map: Rancor Pit
General Obi Wan Kenobi
Captain Argyus
Captain Panaka
Adrimal Yularen
Senate Commando x3
Mas Amedda
Ugnaught Demolitionist

2. Alexander Fisher (4-1, 1-1 in Final Four)
Darth Vader, Sith Apprentice
Captain Rex, 501st Commander
Thrawn (Mitth'raw'nuruodo)
Imperial Gov. Tarkin
501st Legion Clone Commander
Adrimal Ozzel
Mas Amedda
Gran Raider
Rodian Brute x5
Ugnaugth Demolitionist x2

4. Matt Hanson (4-1, 0-1 in Final Four)
Luke's Snowspeeder
Han Smuggler
Lobot
Princess Leia
Bothan Noble
General Crix Madine
Elite Rebel Commando
General Reikan
General Dodonna
Mouse Droid x3

James Blakley (3-2)
Merumeru
Chewbacca, Rebel Hero
Wookiee Elite Warrior x3
Wookiee Freedom Fighter x3
R2-D2, Astromech Droid
Caamasi Noble
Ugnaught Demolitionist x3

Matt French (3-2)
Map: Runied Base
Jedi Exile
Bith Black Sun Vigo
Old Republic Captain
Twilik Black Sun Vigo
Antarian Ranger x6
Jedi Youngling x2
Mouse Droid x3
Ugnaught Demolitionist

Kenneth Engert (3-2)
Map: Ruined Base
Vader's Apprentice, Unleashed
Emperor Papatine on Throne
Moff Nyna Calixte
Storm Commando
Kel Dor Bounty Hunter x2
Admiral Ozzel
Mas Amedda
Ugnaught Demolitionist x2

Dan Hall (3-2)
Map: Munninlist Plaza
Ganner Rhysode
Kyp Durran
Jacen Solo
Anikin Solo
General Wedge Antillies
Princess Leia, Rebel Hero
Antarian Ranger
General Dodonna
R7 Astromech Droid
Felucian
Mouse Droid x7
Ugnaught Demolitionist

Matt Harris (2-3)
Map: Cloud City
Darth Vader, Scourge of the Jedi
Cad Bane
Storm Commando
Adrimal Ozzel
Mas Amedda
Caamasi Noble
Imperial Dignitairy
Gran Raider
Rodian Brute x2
Ugnaught Demolitionist

Jack Irons (2-3)
Grand Master Yoda
Qui-Gon, Jedi Trainer
Jarael
The Dark Woman
Gungan Shield Barrier
R2-D2 Astromech Droid
Mas Amedda
Jedi Youngling x8

Michael "Klecser" Fryda (2-3)
Plo Koon, Jedi Master
Mon Mothma
Adrimal Yularen
Queen Amidala
Arc Trooper Sniper x5
R2-D2 Astromech Droid
Mas Amedda
Rodian Diplomat
Ugnaught Demolitionist

David Coakley (2-3)
Lord Vader
Thrawn (Mitth'raw'nuado)
Arica
Admiral Ozzel
Mas Amedda
Wicket
R7 Astromech Droid
Imperial Dignitary x3
Rodian Brute x3

Chris Miller (2-3)
Kyle Katarn, Jedi Battlemaster
Garm Bel Iblis
Yuuzhan Vong Ossus Guardian x2
Jareal
Luke Skywalker, Force Spirit
General Dodonna

Doug Kinney (2-3)
Yoda
Captain Panaka
Jar Jar Binks
Captain Typho
Queen Amidala
Gungan Shieldbearer
Medical Droid
R2-D2 Astromench Droid
Mas Amedda
Naboo Soldier x6

Scott Kempkes (1-4)
General Skywalker
Captain Argyus
Senate Commando x4
Queen Amidala
R2-D2 Astromech Droid
Mas Amedda
Caamasi Noble
Rodian Diplomat

Melissa Hawk (1-4)
General Grevious, Droid Army Commander
Wat Tambor
Destroyer Droid x2
EG-05 Jedi Hunter Droid
Battle Droid Officer
Battle Droid x3

Jason Bell (1-4)
Kyle Katarn, Combat Instructor
Mara Jade, Jedi
Ganner Rhysode
Zuckuss, Bounty Hunter
Luke Skywalker, Force Spirit
General Dodonna
Wicket
R7 Astromech Droid
Caamasi Noble x2

Dojuan Kinney (1-4)
Kyle Katarn, Jedi Battlemaster
Ganner Rhysode
Yuuzhan Vong Ossus Guardian
Leia Skywalker, Jedi Knight
General Wedge Antillies
Human Bodyguard
General Dodonna
R7 Astromech Droid
Mouse Droid x3

Thank you again everyone that made it. It was a great time.

Post subject: Re: Nebraska Regional Results
PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 6:27 am 
Ugnaught Master!
Ugnaught Master!

Hey, guys, awesome turn out and report. There sure were many different builds!

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 10:35 am 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

I'm Andrew and I ran the aforementioned speeder squad that won the event. I decided on the squad, because I figured that the most popular squad type in the regional would be squads based on shooters. So with that in mind I built the following squad:

LL 200
Luke's Landspeeder 47
Ferus Olin 27
Han Smuggler 27
Lobot 27
Princess Leia 20
Bothan Noble 17
General Reikan 14
General Dodanna 9
Juno Eclipse 8
Mouse Droid 3

Reinforcements varied throughout the day.
(Disclaimer: this is my first tournament write-up, so I'm sorry if it is confusing and/or longwinded.)

Game 1
Scott Kempkes/Sithdragon13
He played the General Anakin and Commando squad.
I brought in Wicket and the 3x Mice and an Ug.
I won map roll, picking Throne Room, and he deferred side choice to me. I choose the left, or none throne side, and set up accordingly. First round I moved the speeder up into Gambit, while he split his squad sending one commando and some fooder the top rout, and the rest of his pieces through the throne room. As soon as the pieces that were taking the top rout moved next to the room in the middle, and went 12 squares with the speeder, and pumped him up to kill the Commando and the Diplomat. The next round, he towed Anakin up and smacked Han around for 60 damage. I then in response used Ferus Olin to run and kill R2 with his attack and a Bothan Noble pump. After that I killed his last Ughnaught, and promptly used Lobot to Override the main door shut, splitting Anakin from help. Anakin killed Han, I killed Anakin, and it was clean up after that.
1-0

Game 2
Torrence Richter
The other Commando squad
I brought in the same Reinforcements as the last game.
I lost map roll, and we played on Rancor Pit. I started by the beast master's den, while he started by the rooms. He played aggressively, rushing up two Commandos, one with line of sight on my starting position. I put 40 Damage on the Commando in LOS, with a Bothan Pump on my speeder, and he swapped in another commando, he Double Twinned me, but he ended up only putting 30 damage on the speeder (which was put on Ferus), as I put an Ughnaught in the path of the commando. I then put only 20 Damage in return on the commando that attacked, missing many shots. I then advanced my squad slowly into Gambit, while he did the same. Here he made a crucial placement mistake, moving Gowk up, and swapping Mas into his spot. However, his location was bad and I picked off Mas. He also exposed Admiral Yularne, with Panaka adjecent to him, allowing me to kill both of them due to him using Panaka's bodyguard. After that I picked off Captain Argyus, and won the game.
2-0

Game 3
Chris Miller
He was playing the Kyle, Garm, Ossus Guardian squad.
I brought in the same reinforcements as before, while he brought a Bothan Noble and an Ithoran Commander.
I lost map roll, and we played on Ruined Base. I took the inside, while he set up everyone but Kyle the ghost and an Ug to the right side of the outside (outside the room that Gambit is available in.) He advanced his squad up, with most being stuck in the terrain at the entrance, and spent a force point to move Jareal into Gambit inside the room. I used Ferus Olin's force point to move 14 and get adjacent to the main door, and used Lobot to Override the door into his room. I then advanced the speeder for shots, and used my pumps to put 40 damage on one of the guardians. He then ran and based Ferus with Jareal, using a FP, and missed the attack, as she had moved into my Disruptive. I then moved the speeder adjacent to her, killing her with it's shots as well as the Bothan's pump. He then moved Kyle up and Grenaded my Speeder, only killing Wicket, and I used my Han, the speeder, and my pumps to kill him from long distance. From there on, it was clean up.

Game 4
Matt Hanson-knightswhosayni
Reinforcements- R7, 3x Ug, 1x MSD
His Reinforcements- r7, 4x Ug
Matt is the best player at our LGS, and the best player at our regionals, so needless to say I was nervous before the game, as I had won the earlier games by using my activation control, superior tech, and taking advantage of their mistakes to win. Three things Matt had over me.
The game begun with him "winning" map choice, so I set up from the non-throne side of the map. I moved all my pieces up, putting the speeder into Gambit. He then in response moved his Speeder into the top Corridor, and using his shots and Leia's commander effect, he killed an Ughnaught, and put 30 on Juno. He won the next Init, and finished Juno off, and then retreated with the speeder. I then moved Ferus next to the speeder in Gambit, and put some Ugs/Mice around it blowing the first door in the middle, and locked the door seeing into the Cargo Bay (the big room on the non-throne side of the map). He then overrided the other main door in the middle open, and moved Crix up to Disrupt the speeder. Then Han moved up, and shot at the speeder, and used a Bothan pump to do the same. I got really lucky here, as I made both Lightsaber deflects. He then won the init, and moved Crix down near han, and shot and killed an Ug. I ran Ferus 8, attacked Crix, but missed. At this point I wasn't happy with who the game was going, but my luck turned again, as the next turn, I used a Han/Leia pumped shot to kill Crix, and Matt made a huge error. He didn't run han away, forgetting I still had the bothan to activate. So I activated two, moved the speeder ten, and killed han with it's shots and the pump. That was the game changing turn. He then brought the speeder into the throne room, and built an Uggie wall around my Landspeeder. I eventually got through it, and used the my Speeder with a Leia pump to kill his Snowspeeder. Earning the concession from Matt.
4-0 and I was starting to get excited!

Game 5
Alex Fisher
The Anakin B&B squad
I brought in wicket and 2x Ug, 2x Mice
He "won" map roll, and I set up on the non-throne side of the map. I advanced my speeder into Gambit, and camped him there. He moved up an Ug to blow open the second of the main door's in the map, and I promptly killed it. After that, I also killed one of the Rodian brutes he moved up to try to swap with. At this point, Fisher started getting flustered as I had the point's lead, and activation control. The next round he moved up a Rodian Brute near the end of the round, and swapped in Rex. However, he miss counted, and I moved the speeder 12 to shot at Rex, and brought Leia to come and pump him up in an attempt to kill Rex. I put 70 on him, as I missed the second Leia shot, and the FPRR. So rex moiled next to the speeder putting 80 damage on to it, but miscounted again, and left him in range for Ferus to run 8 and kill him. After this I used the speeder to go down and kill his 501st commander with a Leia pump, and he swapped Anakin into my Backfield near Gambit. I disrupted Anakin and after I put 80 damage on him with Han and pumps, he conceded!
5-0 Swiss Champ!!!!!

Top 4
For me it was a reunion of sorts, as everyone in the Top 4, where people that I had beaten in the Swiss. due to SOS and a die roll, the seeds were:
1. Me 5-0
2. Torrence 4-1
3. Fisher 4-1
4. Matt Hanson 4-1

Not exactly the first round game I wanted.

Game 6- The first rematch
Matt Hanson-knightswhosayni (again)
Reinforcements- Camassai Noble, 3x Ug, 2x Mice
-I decided on these reinforcements, as in the last game, he still had override control over me, so I thought more activations would be better.
His Reinforcements- R7, 4x Ug
Not excited for this game, but it started out in my favor again, as he "won" map roll, and I picked the same side (non-throne side) as before. This game was eerily similar, as I moved my speeder into Gambit, he moved his to, with Leia/Bothan pumps, pick off some of my fodder. He then used more pumps and his shots to finish off 3 of my fodder pieces by the early second round, giving him definitive activation control. I moved Ferus to Bodyguard the speeder, Locked the Cargo Bay door, and moved some Ugs up to be able to blow the main doors open. He then moved the ERC up, and used Leia pumps to kill an Ug, and moved Crix up to kill another, after he had blown open the main door. He then used the ERC on my speeder with the Cunning Leia shots, and all of the damage was Evaded or missed. I got risky here, as I moved han out to take shots on Crix, hoping to hit, and then move the speeder in to kill Crix, but he missed. I then used the Bothan to attempt to kill Han, and missed again. I then tried one final time with the Leia pump, and hit. He failed the Evade, and I was once again in good position. He moved his Han up in response, and with his shot and the Bothan shot hit Han twice, but I was lucky enough to evade both of them, as well as a speeder shot. I then moved Ferus and the speeder up, putting 40 on the ERC on the way. Next round He built the fooder wall around my speeder, I killed it and the ERC, and moved the speeder up to kill the Bothan Noble, and won the game on points. This was a really intense and fun game, but as good as it felt to beat Matt twice in one tournament, heck twice in a row period, as idk if I've ever beat him twice in a row ever, I still was focused on the final game.

Game 7- The other rematch
Alex Fisher
Reinforcements: Camassai Noble, 3x Ug, 2x Mice.
-I went with these reinforcements, as seeing what he was planning on doing last time, I realized it was best to have the activation control on him.
I "won" map roll, and he set up on the non-throne side. He advanced some Rodians and an Ug up slowly, and swapped Anakin into Gambit. I moved Ferus 14 squares to open the second door, and moved the speeder 22 to get into Gambit, and locked the other main door shut with Lobot. We burned Acts, I moved Ferus and some other fodder into Gambit with the Speeder, and put a Mouse next to the door while it was locked still. He swapped in his 501st commander for Anakin, and I moved two, moving Lobot so he couldn't see the door, and use the speeders mobile to put 40 on the 501st. He then swapped in Rex for a brute in the cranny on the Turbolift side of the main door, used an Ug to blow the door, and then mobiled attacked with Rex killing the Mouse holding the door, but doing no damage to the speeder thanks to evade. The next init is where he lost the game, as he made me go first, and I did spinning an ug, while he responded by spinning an Ug. I then activated two, moved the speeder 10 to base Rex and killed him after a Leia pump and the Speeder's attacks. I then chased down his wounded 501st Commander, and he conceded. I won.
7-0

For the prizes: I received a Ganner, I really needed one of those, a gencon badge, or I've been told I will, and an awesome time! Thanks to Austin for judging the event and thank you to the the Lincoln and Des Monies people for coming and making it an awesome event. I can't wait for Gencon now!!

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 7:42 am 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

"It was the best of times. It was the worst of times." I really dont think it can be said any better than that. It was great to see everyone together again. The turnout was better than i thought we might get, and had some faces i hadnt really seen before.

My squad was an absolute egg. I didnt think my squad would win, but i thought it would do much better than 1-4. I knew it could handle NR squads, and i really thought we would see more of those. In the end i never faced one. It seems to be my niche in tourneys. I plan for solid squads that i think are going to be there and then not only do i not face that squad, I end up facing nothing but the auto-loss builds to my squad. In the end, after all this time, it still came down to having to beat B&B.

Rd1 vs andrew, i made the mistake of not seeing he could pick off my last ug to get the door open. Once that happened, i knew i had lost. Had i not done that i might of had a chance to win, or at worst make it competitive. Losing map hurt as well. My second game was against Ken. I knew i could get this one if i could get the apprentice before he did any serious damage, which i was able to do. I think his squad would have been stronger if he didnt have ozzel. I was simply able to abuse his one activation once we engaged. Games three and four were B&B variants i knew i had lost too before i even rolled first init. The first was against Alex. He out activated me badly, swapped in, killed stuff and swapped out. There was nothing i could do. Game four was against David. I knew Lord Vader would do the same thing, so this time i made the mistake of rushing the hallway on the throne room. Arica single handedly killed my entire squad. game set match. the final round was against Lady hothie and neither one of us really felt like playing the last round so we played Pompeii instead with ILS's wife. That was probably the funnest game i had that day.

My biggest regret is that there was a good wookiee squad being played and it wasnt by me. Curse you Admiral Palleaon! :)
It sucked i failed so miserably on the last tourney, but as i said it was great to have everybody together again. Hopefully someone gets our group photo posted soon. Its nice to know that when all is said and done, the Nebraska group has had a huge impact on this game from many different levels. Its been a fun ride guys - thanks for the memories! :)

Check us out over at Pojo.com

"It appears the Bothans have rooked us again."
-Obi wan