logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Michigan Regional Results
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 4:56 pm 
Flim
Flim

I am pleased to announce that this years winner of the Michigan Regional is Jason Kiernan (urbanjedi). Jason went 6-1 wit his only loss coming in the very first round.

Eric Larson (engineer) took second at 6-1 with his only loss coming to Jason in the Finals.

Lou Vasilion (lou) took third. He went 1-1 in the finals and 4-1 in the swiss.

Scott Ferguson took took fourth. He went 4-1 in swiss and 0-2 if the finals.

Congratulations to Jason K. the winner of the coveted Golden Wookiee. More to come
Win Loss Points
Eric L 5 0 14
Jason 4 1 12
Lou 4 1 12
Scott F 4 1 11
Ray 3 2 9
Trevor 3 2 9
Eric F 3 2 9
Isaiah 3 2 8
Brad 3 2 8
Bob 3 2 8
Matt 2 3 6
Ben 2 3 6
Scott S 2 3 6
Will 2 3 5
Larry 2 3 5
Laura 2 3 5
Troy 2 3 4
Jake 2 3 4
Darryl 1 4 3
Tyler 1 4 3
Stuart 1 4 2
Robert 1 4 2

"It is the unknown we fear when we look upon death and darkness, nothing more"-- Albus Dumbledore

Proud member of the Triumvirate

Post subject: Re: Michigan Regional Results
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 6:12 pm 
Major Tierce
Major Tierce

Squad: This is getting out of hand...now there are two of them

Map: Rancor Pit

Darth Sidious
Greivous DAC
2x Lancers
IG-86
Gha Nacht
ugnaught
8x mouse droids

The squad actually came about when it was being discussed here on the gamers boards a while back. I used to always run the old standard Lancer build with Sid (yoyo) and then IG-86s but the Lancer was so fragile that it was hard to keep safe. People were talking that the better build is to run 2 lancers and drop the yoyo so that you aren't as vulnerable and it got me thinking what if I play 2 lancers and KEPT the yoyo. Built it, played it a few times (it was a blast for me) and decided it was my regional squad.

Rd 1
Trevor (TINT) w/NR Han GH, Mara, Ganner, Dash and co.

We play on his ravaged base. I get off a couple of strafes but miss the killing blow on Dash which is painful. Later he makes a play I was did not see coming and was able to get Han a double cunning to kill my IG-86 (both lancers already dead) and after that it was mop up duty for him.

0-1

Rd 2
Larry w/ Cade Skywalker, Han smuggler, Reikken, Leia, bothan, etc

We play on my map and after we had played the first round and a half, we realize that he forgot to put his Han on the board. James determined that since we couldn't just rewind due to the nature of my squad that we would have to restart the game. We restart I strafe some and then strafe some more and we still finish before time.

1-1

Rd 3
Brad (Celestial Warrior) w/ Yobuck, panaka, rex and quadruple override

We play on his map (jedi temple) and he ends up on the ship side. He immediately locks down 2 of the doors so that I get through. LAte in rd 1 he tows Yobuck and gallops to take out some of my activations and then runs back through the door. I re-open it it and strafe out R2 and end in the one side room. NExt couple of rounds are fuzzy, but I miss on Rex needing anything but a 1 to kill him and then he misses on the lancer with Yobuck. He makes 1 mistake by moving away from the door in the small room by the starting area (ship side) which traps his lobot so he can't override the door shut to keep me out. I strafe through taking out the rest of his override and then I am in mop up duty as there isn't much he can do.

2-1

Rd 4
Scott Sykes (Sithborg) w/ Sith Naga, Freedan and Twilek BSVs

We play on his ruined base and there really isn't much he can do as this is an awful matchup for him. I trade a lancer for some vigos and damage on his sith. He gets to Sith Sorcery and it hits a lancer so he kills one and keeps it close. The other Lancer strafes through and then it is is mop up duty on his Sith lords

3-1

Rd 5
Isa with Thrawn Cad Bane Vader Scourge Ozzel.

He wins map but chooses to play on my Rancor pen. I let him set up first as he outactivates me and I need to see how he places to know how to attack the squad. He sets up in Room on the side that isn't the beast pen. I set up almost everyone in the beast pen with 1 lancer in the old protected commander hiding spots. Out game is basically over after 4 activations (he had never played against a Lancer squad and made the Jonny mistake (sorry Jonny this will follow you forever)) You see if you set the Lancer up as far up as you can get it (still in the beast pen) it is exactly 24 squars from the door that leads to the hallway down to the detention cells. The game went he wins init and makes me go first. I move ugo and blow door to beast pen. He moves 1 (Ozzel) ugo up to open the room at the end of the hallway (had guys all over holding the room at the other end open). I pawn lancer set it to open the door which is exactly 24 away and then on its turn strafe his entire squad (vader was last and I had to hit him to get Ozzel) which cost me the Lancer. Isa fought on well taking out most of the mouse droids but he was so outactivated that there wasn't much he could do.

4-1 and I make top 4 as 2 seed and will have to play Lou in the semis.

Semis
Lou with GM Yoda 3 weaponsmaster and Dash.

This squad scares me as he has riposte all over and the accurate throw is not my friend. We play on his ravaged base map and I take the inside. I get off a strafe that only gets 1 weaponsmaster (whew) and take out R2 some activations and drop 40 on Dash in exchange for my first Lancer. Next round I get a clean strafe on Yoda and Dash and take out Dash. He gets a throw off and puts 40 on Sidious, Greivous, IG-86 and kills a mouse which I didn't see coming. We trade shots back and forth and he can't make enough of his deflect/LS defense saves and I knock him out with 10 HP left on both the remaining Lancer and the IG-86 and 40 left on Greivous.

On to the finals.
Eric (engineer) play NUTE GUNRAY and a bajillion droids. I win the map roll which is huge in this matchup. Very anticlimatic end as he makes the jonny mistake and our game is effectively over after 4 activations. I have killed about half his squad and put damage on the rest and now out activate him. We play it out and he kills some stuff but I end up strafing the next round to almost finish it off. Third round is what does it for me and I kill everything but a lone R7. Gambit puts me over the top to become this year's Michigan Regional Champion.

The squad is good against everything but what is in the meta right now. It can't beat GM Luke, I don't think it can beat either of the Vaders with riposte (scourge and new one) unless the player makes a mistake or 2 and has serious trouble against NR Ganner builds or any build with MOTF2 and Riposte (Kyle CI, Shaak Ti, Shado Vao). Also I need a new map as there is so much override that I cannot rely on one ugo to pull me through.

Thanks James for running a wonderful event (even if I did have 40 million rules questions throughout the day.

Also thanks to Jake Shuler for the custom Lancers that he made for me for this tourney (replaced the dull gray lance with a red and green one so that I could tell them apart). They look sweet.

Last edited by urbanjedi on Sat May 08, 2010 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 7:29 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Good fun.
Nute Guneray is broken. And damn is Sith Sorecery fun (just not for the opponent).

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 8:28 pm 
Moff Disra
Moff Disra

--IG-86 Nute Gunray/Whorm--
30 Nute Gunray
27 Lobot
20 General Whorm Loathsom
64 IG-86 Assassin Droid x4
12 Gha Nachkt
8 Battle Droid Officer
21 R7 Astromech Droid x3
9 Battle Droid x3
6 Mouse Droid x3
3 Ugnaught Demolitionist
(200pts. 19 activations)
Map: Bespin

That is right, Nute Gunray

Round 1
Darrel
Gha Nachkt
San Hill
Munn Tactics Broker
Lobot (Ig-86, 2x mouse)
GG, DAC
R7
mouse
BD
Jedi Hunter Droid

He was told incorrectly how MTB worked. He thought it was optional. I eliminated half his squad and MTB did the rest.
I lost a few 0 point BD's
217-0 points
1-0

Round 2
Matt
New Thrawn
2x Ugo
2x storm
Lobot CLO
2x Discipline of Ragnos
Vader, SotJ
Emp Hand
Mas
Ozzel
Rodian Brute

His Grand Plaza

I brought in San Hill, 3x BD's, IG-86 and 2x mouse

San Hill is a great counter to Ozzel/Thrawn
209-28 points
2-0

Round 3
Isa
New Thrawn
Vader, SotJ
Discipline of Ragnos
Cad Bane
R7
Ozzel
2x Ugo
2x Rodian Brute
Mas

map?

I brought in San Hill, 3x BD's, IG-86 and 2x mouse

He killed 22 points before the game was over
3-0

Round 4
Lou
3x JWM
R2
2x Ugo
5x mouse
R7
Dash, RS
Yoda, JM

My Bespin

I brought Magnaguard art, IG-86 and 2x mouse

We traded IG-86's for JWM's.

The final score was 171-59. Dash was the only damage dealer still alive and had 10 HP
4-0 (11 points)

Round 5
Ray
Han Smuggler
Crix Madine
Reeiken
Dodonna
Shaak Ti, JM
Luke, RC
Anakin, FS
3x ERC

my Bespin

I brought in 6x BD, IG-86 and 2x mouse (I think)

Shaak Ti dropped on the second turn (just too many shots from IG-86's. An ERC followed up (clear shots).
206-22 points
5-0 (14 points)

I was the only 5-0 (with Nute Gunray)

Semi-finals
Scott
Luke's snowspeeder
Anakin FS
Zuchuss, BH
Princess Leia
Han Smuggler
3x Ugo
mouse
Dodonna
Reeiken
ERC
R2 ext sensor

His Ruined base

Han was in cover on the first round. After all my IG-86's shot (you can only make so many saves), he went down. I got an angle shot on R2, then started collecting Gambit for 2 turns without combat. I lost a few figs to take out the ERC. Zuchuss hit an IG-86 (glued). Reeiken shot at my mouse and the glued IG-86 eliminated Reeiken. Without evade, Zuchuss/Ans FS went down next.

134-47 at game end
6-0

Final
Jason (Urban Jedi)
2x Lancer
Darth Sidious
GG, DAC
8x mouse
Gha Nachkt
Ugo
IG-86

His Rancor pit (he rolled a 20 I think)

I set up and made Jonny's mistake on the first turn. A pawned Lancer took out most of my squad.

I killed 71 points before being defeated.

This was the one squad I thought I had no chance to beat. I lost on setup and not overriding a door on the first turn. Learning the trick (it won't work again).
6-1 second place

I had a blast. Thanks for running the regional James.

Did I mention I ran Nute Gunray to a 6-1 victory in a 22 player tourney? :obi:

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 10:08 pm 
Major Tierce
Major Tierce

(waves hand)

the setup trick will work again . . .

Yep, going to have to bring a different map if I want to keep playing this squad.

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 10:38 pm 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

so its called the Jonny mistake now hahahaha.Looks like the idea of using a lot of acts,86 droids can work. Nice squad Eric. I thought about that when GAW came out be never tried it out.

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 12:16 am 
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire

First off, congrats to urbanjedi on the win--that squad sounds like a bear to deal with, and you're right, there's no good reason that Sidious and the double-Lancer should be mutually exclusive. Maybe drop 3 mice for 2 uggies and you'll solve your door control worries? Or maybe keep as is--it worked.

And second of all, to Engineer, finishing second at a regional with a freaking Nute Gunray squad is amazing. I mean, I won a regional, but I am honestly kinda jealous of the awesomeness of finishing second with Nute Gunray.

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 5:36 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Nute Gunray. Hahaha. That's awesome Eric. Congrats to Jason as well!

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 6:20 pm 
Hand of the Sith
Hand of the Sith

Good tourny only one hangup with the software with paring ray against 2 people the last round.

I had a decent day going 5-2 with GM Yoda, Dash rs, JWM x3, Mouse x5, Ugo x2, R2, and R7.

Rd1 Ruhk (3-2)I won with some lucky save rolls. 1-0
Rd2 Ben F (2-3)One of our younger players I helped him in the game to make it closer than it should of been. 2-0
Rd3 Ray (3-2) This was a great game that my JWM's were just to much for his ERC's. 3-0
Rd4 Eric L (5-0,6-1) He kicked my rear so bad I was just lucky to make it to time. 3-1
Rd5 TINT (3-2) This was very much like the game against Ruhk my saves were off the charts. 4-1

Playoffs
Rd1 Jason (4-1, 6-1) It was an ok game but the lancer is just the bane of me. 4-1, 4-2
Rd2 Scott F (4-1, 4-3) This game was fun for me because he brought Lukes snowspeeder and I did not know what to do against it in the new formate. 4-1, 5-2

James did a good job and the store owner Peter really cares about his gamers. :fight:

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 6:44 pm 
Jedi Battlemaster
Jedi Battlemaster

Trevor and I drove down Friday afternoon (only get lost once or twice!) and crashed the night at James' place (who btw, is a super awesome guy and epic host). It was awesome the night before the event to hang out with Lou, meet Jake and see his epic SWM collection (4+ AT-RTs!).

Saturday was a greats day. I finally got to meet and put faces to some of the people here on the boards, like Sithborg, Engineer, and The_Celestial_Warrior. Plus, with a 22 turn out there were plenty of other people to meet!

Trevor and I played derivatives of each others squads, with the hopes that NR would regin supreme! Unfortunately this was not written.

I ran a fairly solid build;
Kyle, JBM
Mara Jade, Jedi
Ganner Rhysode
Dash Rendar, Renegade Smuggler
Jagged Fel
General Dodonna
R7
Caamasi
Uggy x3
Mouse

Having three decent threats, with Ganner being able to provide mop up and jagged getting his scrub killing duties in, I felt that this squad had a very good chance of amking the top 4, and maybe even winning the whole thing!
However I was not excpecting what Lou, my first opponent, would bring, nor how epically my dice would fail when the going got tough!
Round 1 I face Lou with his JWM x3 and Yoda monster. I felt pretty good about the whole deal. Kyle would be able to tie down and JWM and Dash and Mara being able to kill atleast 1 a rou nd.
Round 1 was a big pile of nothing. as we were playoing on his ravaged base, and with him having double override, I wasn't able to get any opening shots, but was able to get everyone faily close to the midde area (starting from the outside). In round 2 he ran in a JWM and R2, and was awefully pleased about that. I figured that I would be able to wipe out the JWM and then lock the door closed after killing R2. Was I in for a surpirse. Mara assauled, hitting 2, but 1 was deflect. :( Then Dash, needing 9s... only hit once.. and yes, it was deflected.Kyle was able t be levitated in for a triple, hitting all three and taking a riposte back. However, the JWm was still alive! Ahhh.
That set the tone for our game.. just totally unable to hit when I needed. I was finally able to kill the JWM, but Dash + Yoda polished off Mara that ourn(moved a little too close for stealth to keep her safe from Yoda.after he exposed his dash..I brought mine in, needing only 5s t hit.. I hit once..and thus sacrificing Dash for nothing. I even got his dash done to 10 hp.. and hoping for a kill, levitated Jagged to base him.. 1.. next round I go first.. jagged on dash. 1. In the end, Kyle vs Yoda and 2 JWM (I killeda ll thje scrubs!) wasn't enough to take he win. first round loos to Lou.

*right now, I'm hainvg trouble posting. More to come!

Join the FOLLY! Online casual League, find out more here: FOLLY

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 7:27 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Congrats to Jason. My mind is still blown how a squad without override can win Regionals. Testament to excellent playing I am sure.

Also - very creative squad building Mr Eric Larson! I would have had a hard time doing anything against your squad I am sure.

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 7:59 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

So did you guys do a Top 8 Play-off?

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 8:14 am 
Big Bad Brad
Big Bad Brad

Top 4, same as Chicago.

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 9:04 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Ooooh, I see. You had the 3rd/4th place people play-off against each other to determine specific 3rd/4th place winners. I was just trying to figure out how Lou listed two play-off games, but I thought it was Jason and Eric in the final.

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 9:29 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

LoboStele wrote:
Ooooh, I see. You had the 3rd/4th place people play-off against each other to determine specific 3rd/4th place winners. I was just trying to figure out how Lou listed two play-off games, but I thought it was Jason and Eric in the final.

We did the same in Chicago. Jake and I played for 3rd and 4th. Came to play minis - doesn't make sense to not play. :)

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 2:34 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

Exactly what is the jonny mistake?

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 2:47 pm 
Moff Disra
Moff Disra

Cybit wrote:
Exactly what is the jonny mistake?

On the Rancor pit, the non Lancer player just take the side with doors on it to survive.

The non Lancer player sets up and puts a figure next to the door leading to the 2x2 cells.

The mistake, not overriding closed the far door on turn one.

The Lancer player spends one turn blowing open the door on the Rancor pen.
The Lancer moves out 24 and ends right next to the far door of the cells area.
Sid Pawns the Lancer and it runs through your entire squad.

Game over man.

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 3:49 pm 
Major Tierce
Major Tierce

Yep

The Lancer can start nice and safe in the Rancor Pen and in the farthest spot up is exactly 24 squares away from the door at the end of the hallway of cells. If the door to the starting area is open it's game over for the non-lancer player. Eat all your activations and put 40 on all your beef. Now I out-activate you (usually badly) and the 2nd lancer, IG-86 and even grievous can clean up.

But now I have to find a new map as it seems that everyone has override (or double/triple/freaking quadruple) in their squad and it well publicized enough that people won't be making that mistake again, especially since between Tim and I we have put the Lancer back on the map.

@tim
I don't need override as on most maps I can manuever and you can't lock ALL the doors. I need the one ugo to make sure I don't get locked in my starting area but after that the range of the lancer is so great that I can often just go to the other side of whatever room you are locking and come in that way. Also all the override pieces are so fragile that usually one strafe over them will take them out and then I can just walk up and open the door.

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 10:13 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

urbanjedi wrote:
Yep

The Lancer can start nice and safe in the Rancor Pen and in the farthest spot up is exactly 24 squares away from the door at the end of the hallway of cells. If the door to the starting area is open it's game over for the non-lancer player. Eat all your activations and put 40 on all your beef. Now I out-activate you (usually badly) and the 2nd lancer, IG-86 and even grievous can clean up.

But now I have to find a new map as it seems that everyone has override (or double/triple/freaking quadruple) in their squad and it well publicized enough that people won't be making that mistake again, especially since between Tim and I we have put the Lancer back on the map.

@tim
I don't need override as on most maps I can manuever and you can't lock ALL the doors. I need the one ugo to make sure I don't get locked in my starting area but after that the range of the lancer is so great that I can often just go to the other side of whatever room you are locking and come in that way. Also all the override pieces are so fragile that usually one strafe over them will take them out and then I can just walk up and open the door.

It was sincere when I said that it must mean excellent play. I haven't seen a competitive squad without override in years, much less a regional champ. You proved it possible. I can certainly see how you make this work though, especially on Rancor Pit.

Thanks for the co-credit on bringing the lancer back - but you deserve the lion's share. You WON regionals, (and went 4-0 at Marmalade Dog, yes?). I lost to 1 player (twice) at regionals and 1 player at MD (who I then beat at regionals) with my Lancer squad.

Our lancer squads are run very differently. I must admit the thought of an expendable lancer is very enticing . . .

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 11:22 pm 
Major Tierce
Major Tierce

Yes I went 4-0 at MD but should have to lost to Deri (dice betrayed him) and didn't have to play Bill.

I appreciate the compliment and I did play well all day long. Got outplayed in Rd 1 (and lost) but kept it together after that. Problem is that now that people are talking about it, I don't think that the Rancor pit will work nearly as well for me in the future and I am not sure if there is another map that will be anywhere near as good for my version of the Lancer.

Also beacuse of the near auto-losses to either Vader or to GMLS I just don't know. Looking on the squad forum it does seem interesting to think of a build without GGDAC, but I don't know.