logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Cincinnati, OH Regional Results
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 3:47 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Here's a bit of a write up. I sat with my laptop and put this together while the final two were playing their game. At that point, don't really need a judge, lol.

Swiss Standings:

Points Name Record
11 Matt Belmont 4-0
09 Brandon Knuezer 3-1
09 James Naegele 3-1
08 Brian Re 3-1
06 Roland Christy 2-2
06 Chris Neal 2-2
06 Emily Wynn 2-2
06 Mike Catron 2-2
03 Adam Hansen 1-3
03 Iain Skaggs 1-3
03 Ira Gansler 1-3

Top 4:
Brandon Knuezer vs. James Naegele – James wins, full defeat. I didn't watch much of this game as I was helping handle prizes for the other players, but apparently James made a nice Boba for Mara trade and that gave him enough of an edge to get the full kill.
Brian Re vs. Matt Belmont – Brian wins, close game with killing Loda at the last roll to get the win. It was super close overall, and Matt didn't realize that he was far enough ahead on points that he just had to keep Loda alive to win. Brian wouldn't have been able to kill enough of a combination of other pieces in order to get ahead. But Loda was Disrupted and out of FPs, so it was just down to Brian's Han/Leia rolls, and not only did he get high enough rolls, Leia actually landed a crit, and Loda went down, giving Brian the win.

Finals:
Brian Re vs. James Naegele – Brian made a nice move to take out Ganner in Round 2, but James got a solid move to kill Leia in Round 3, and it went downhill from there. James had a lot of bad rolls with Han in the Swiss rounds, but the karma came back as Han Crit and hit to kill Luke with Cunning at the beginning of Round 4 (he was Disrupted and missed his Deflect roll as well). At that point, Han and Mara both had full HP still, with Kol down to 90. Brian’s Ferus and Han were forced to move up and engage, but between missed attacks, and then another lost initiative, they both quickly died too. From that point, Brian’s ERC was really the only thing that could do much damage at that point, so James took the win at that point.

Here are all the squads that were played. We had a really nice diversity of players and squads, and I think everybody had a really fun time.

Ira Gansler
Map: Ruined Base
37 Aurra Sing
35 Zuckuss, Bounty Hunter
28 Cay Qel-Droma
24 Jedi Watchman
22 Jedi Instructor
21 Houjix
18 Jedi Healer
06 Veractyl Wrangler
06 Ugnaught Demolitionist x2
03 Mouse Droid

James Naegele
Map: Throne Room
50 Han Solo, Galactic Hero
45 Mara Jade, Jedi
38 Kol Skywalker
29 Ganner Rhysode
15 Lobot, Computer Liaison Officer
09 General Dodonna
05 Caamasi Noble
03 Mouse Droid

Matt Belmont
Map: Throne Room
70 Luke Skywalker and Yoda
27 Han Solo, Smuggler
20 Princess Leia
16 Elite Rebel Commando
16 General Crix Madine
14 General Rieekan
09 General Dodonna
08 R7 Astromech
06 Mouse Droid x2

Brandon Knuezer
62 Boba Fett, Bounty Hunter
54 Cad Bane
32 Mith’raw’nuruodo
11 Admiral Ozzel
08 R7 Astromech
08 Mas Amedda
06 Rodian Brute x2
03 Ugnaught Demolitionist

Chris Neal
Map: Jedi Praxeum
39 Rodian Brute x13
51 Ewok x17
25 Han Solo in Stormtrooper Armor
21 Ugnaught Demolitionist x7
19 Princess Leia, Hoth Commande4r
14 General Rieekan
11 Ithorian Commander
05 Caamasi Noble

Iain Skaggs
Map: None
48 Canderous Ordo
43 IG-88, Assassin Droid
28 Mandalorian Commander
26 Mandalorian Quartermaster
23 Mandalorian Captain
13 Czerka Scientist
11 Human Bodyguard
08 R7 Astromech Droid

Roland Christy
62 Boba Fett, Bounty Hunter
50 Darth Vader Unleashed
33 Emperor Palpatine on Throne
32 Mith’raw’nuruodo
10 501st Legion Stormtrooper
08 R7 Astromech
05 Stormtrooper

Adam Hansen
63 Warmaster Tsavong Lah
44 Praetorite Vong Warrior x2
26 Yuuzhan Vong, Ossus Guardian
19 Yomin Carr
18 Praetorite Vong Priest
16 Yuuzhan Vong Warrior x2
14 Yuuzhan Vong Elite Warrior

Emily Wynn
Map: Rancor Pit
55 General Obi-Wan Kenobi
40 Luminara Unduli, Jedi Master
30 Barriss Offee, Jedi Knight
27 Clone Trooper
23 Echani Hand Maiden
15 Youngling x3
08 Tusken Raider Sniper

Brian Re
27 Ferus Olin
27 Han Solo, Smuggler
27 Luke Skywalker, Rebel Commando
20 Princess Leia
16 General Crix Madine
16 Elite Rebel Commando
14 General Rieekan
10 Caamasi Noble
09 R2-D2 with Extended Sensor
09 General Dodonna
08 Juno Eclipse
08 Obi-Wan Kenobi, Jedi Spirit
06 Mouse Droid

Mike Catron
Map: Muunilist
115 Grandmaster Luke Skywalker
29 Ganner Rhysode
25 Leia Skywalker, Jedi Knight
09 General Dodonna
08 R7 Astromech
05 Caamasi Noble
03 Mouse Droid

To me, the most important thing about these events is the fun, and making sure that people leave, having got their $15 worth. I will plan to put up some pictures later in the week as they become available. Some of the things we did included door prizes for Art Prints by Scott Simmons (who also did the T Shirt artwork). We gave away a Jedicartographer Map Pack 2 and a Mapmaker Exodus/Offworld Shipping Center map. We offerred for players to buy Raffle tickets at $1 a piece (which went back into the prize support), and then we raffled off the original artwork that was used to design the T Shirts, and then also some custom minis (hopefully pictures later, as they turned out nice). We also gave extra prizes out to people who lost their games each round, including some Rs from various sets. And then Ira, who came in last place, got a goodie bag which included a Cay Qel-Droma! I also put together a quick set of all 8 Dejarik Monsters, and printed and laminated a 12x12 dejarik table and the 1-page rule sheet, and gave that away as a door prize as well.

And even though we only had 11 players, between the extra money from the Raffles, and a bit thrown in from the T Shirt sales (our guy who makes the T Shirts is EXTREMELY generous! Thanks, Matt!), we were able to squeeze just enough to give James his $90 for winning the tournament, and still get 1 case (thanks to Sci-Fi city for giving us a discount on the product!), which was enough to give everybody at least 1 booster, on top of all the other prize stuff.

Finally, thanks to Dean for sending out the Shadow Stormtrooper promos. They were a big hit! I actually still have some left, so if you need them for anything else, just let me know. ;)

Post subject: Re: Cincinnati, OH Regional Results [still a work in progress]
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 3:52 pm 
One of the Sith on Malgus' Shuttle

Alright, so this is my write-up. We only had 11 show up, but since we sold t-shirts and had raffles we were able to pool together enough money to still get enough for prize support and GenCon pass. Most of us there were from the usual group, with 2 from out of town and 2 who are semi-local. We had a couple people not able to make it because it's Mother's Day weekend and family trumps minis.

I wanted to have fun so I played an off the wall squad.
39 Rodian Brute x13
51 Ewok x17
25 Han Solo in Stormtrooper Armor
21 Ugnaught Demolitionist x7
19 Princess Leia, Hoth Commande4r
14 General Rieekan
11 Ithorian Commander
05 Caamasi Noble

200 points, 43 activations

As I said, I went for the "OMG you're really playing that?" over the "This is the best squad ever and will easily crush you."

I ended up 2-2 but I did have the Bye 2nd round, so 1 win, 1 bye, 2 losses (1 loss went to time). I wanted to see how well my rolls would be so I kept track of Evade saves/fails and Leia's CE saves/fails.

Game 1: Matt B, who is a local player, brought a squad that completely neutered me. He had Loda, Han Smuggler, Princess Leia, ERC, Crix, Rieekan, Juno, fodder. He tried something unusual and brought all his commanders up since he knew every attack would count. Since he had 2 Disruptive pieces I was screwed, lol! I had some luck but overall due to his careful placing of 2 Juno and Crix it was obvious I wouldn't get much accomplished. Still a great game! This game ended up going to time.
Evade Saves: 5
Evade Fails: 3
Leia's CE Saves: 2
Leia's CE Fails: 3
Reserves: 0

Game 2: Bye! I ended up going to lunch with my roommate but I did catch bits and pieces of other games. Emily, one of the out of towners, got nerfed when someone's Canderous rolled 2 crits in a row against her GOWK and she failed all saves. This was still the first round of the game, I couldn't believe it!

Game 3: Roland, he's one of the semi-local players who nevers comes to any regular tourneys. I had a small squad of Boba BH, Vader Unleashed, Palps on Throne, mitthThrawn, and filler. I wasn't looking correctly and screwed myself by allowing him to get a first round Disintegration on Han in STA! I was more worried about trying to spread out my pieces to save them from Flamethrower that I didn't even notice Han wasn't hidden enough. So that completely nerfed part of the squad and really hurt me this game. It was a blast though with a crapload of saves made. It was quite hilarious, what we thought was the last round was my Lobot CLO against all of his pieces. I roll Reserves! We couldn't believe it, such awesome luck I had. I brought in 4 Aqualish Assassins (I know there was other stuff I could have brought in but he already had won the game so it was just for fun).
Evade Saves: 6
Evade Fails: 5
Leia's CE Saves: 28
Leia's CE Fails: 37
Reserves: 2

Game 4: Iain , he's Roland's friends, had a squad of IG-88 AD, Canderous, Mando Captain, Mando Quartermaster, Mando Soldier, Czerka, Human Bodyguard, and R7. This is the game I won. Not much to say, he split up his Mandos and IG-88/Czerka and I was able to swarm each of them. He resorted to Pulse Cannon (hitting himself as well) and Grenades. I actually didn't have as much fun this game because Ian sorta had an attitue. In the beginning he stated "this should be easy for me" and "I should be able to get in the Top 4 after this." After I won the game and shook his hand it was limp, which is something Dean has talked about during the MO Regional.
Evade Saves: 6
Evade Fails: 2
Leia's CE Saves: 7
Leia's CE Fails: 20
Reserves: 0

Overall I got 6 of 11. Not the best, but it was still a blast playing! Had a fun time chatting with everyone, and I brought cookies which everyone loved as usual.

Post subject: Re: Cincinnati, OH Regional Results
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 8:22 pm 

Great write up, Aaron! I did fix my squad so it states I had 13 Rodian Brutes instead of just 3.

So James won Regionals yet once again. Sounds like we have a reigning champion, but then again his uber-main competitor was judging instead of playing ;)

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 7:44 pm 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

jedispyder wrote:
Great write up, Aaron! I did fix my squad so it states I had 13 Rodian Brutes instead of just 3.

So James won Regionals yet once again. Sounds like we have a reigning champion, but then again his uber-main competitor was judging instead of playing ;)

come on chris it is not like i handed him the championship. I gave him a run for his money and I was the one who game him his only loss as well :)

Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together.

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 9:02 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Brian, I knew you'd be the one person to really challenge James, and you did a great job of it. Honestly, your win against him during the Swiss was way more decisive than his win against you in the finals. So you really made him work for it. But to some degree, I do agree with Chris that you and James had a bit of an easier day with neither me or Creehan playing. Matt did excellent as well though, as shown by the fact that he came out as the only undefeated player.

Overall, I think we had a really good field of players, and if we are able to do this again next year, we'll certainly try to plan better so we don't lose folks because of Mother's Day. :)

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 4:05 pm 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

LoboStele wrote:
Brian, I knew you'd be the one person to really challenge James, and you did a great job of it. Honestly, your win against him during the Swiss was way more decisive than his win against you in the finals. So you really made him work for it. But to some degree, I do agree with Chris that you and James had a bit of an easier day with neither me or Creehan playing. Matt did excellent as well though, as shown by the fact that he came out as the only undefeated player.

Overall, I think we had a really good field of players, and if we are able to do this again next year, we'll certainly try to plan better so we don't lose folks because of Mother's Day. :)

oh i am not saying that it was not an easy day (my loss came to brandon) as i thought it would be either creehan or james that would win i am just saying i did not give james an easy time.

as of next year i heard they are not doing mothers day since they already have another holiday as it is.... you know labor day lol
(no offense to anyone it was just a joke :P )

Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together.

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 8:55 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Finally, some pictures!!

These are pics of the Final 4 games.

Matt Belmont and Brian Re in the semi-finals game.

James Naegele and Bradon Knoezer in their semi-finals game.

James and Brandon again. I think this is just after James made a trade of Mara for Boba. Looks like he also got lucky with a Lobot Reserves roll, because I see Dash on the board.

I don't know, Matt. I think that's clipping a corner!

Just before things got really messy.

Lobot: Our odds of survival are 3478 to 1, sir.
Cad: I'm goin' down shooting.
Thrawn: There must be a way out of this...

This is almost the end of the game between Matt and Brian. You can see how jumbled everything was. Matt had a chance to move Crix into a position where it would be impossible for Brian to use Han to shoot Loda, but it still might've been risky, and was a very tough move to see. It was a great game overall, though.

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 9:09 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

And here are some general pictures of the rest of the event:

Me and Scott Simmons, our local artist and T Shirt designer. And yes, that's a life-size Batman statue in the comic store, lol. It can be yours for like $6000 or something crazy like that. :P

Mike Catron (3302) plays against Emily (Zannah). She schooled him. :P

This is the original pencil/ink artwork that was the basis for our T Shirt. We raffled it off, with the proceeds from the raffle going toward our prize support. We also had 3 custom pieces to raffle off, but somehow, seems like we failed to get any pictures of them! Doh! Will see if I can track down the guys to take a quick picture of each piece that they won. Actually, you can sort of see two of them in the background. One is an LR-57 Droid with a laser point modded inside it, to work as a LOS tool, and the other one is a custom ARC trooper with Repeating Blaster (combo of Star Corp Trooper and Clone w/ Repeating blaster, painted in green).

Here's the whole gang! Kind of gives you an idea of the store where we held our event this year.

Our local all-things-Boba fan, Brandon (Bane77), squares off against Adam (Xanatos).

Emily really had a good time beating Mike to a pulp.

I printed up, and laminated a full size dejarik board, and had it on display. Played around with it a little as well, just to show everybody how easy it is to play the game. I also had a 2nd set of Dejarik pieces and another laminated board/rulesheet that was given as a door prize.

Roland's Imperials try to slowly whittle down Chris' mass-activation army, haha.

Mike and Emily's game was so fun, everyone else wanted to watch it at the end. After Emily failed back-to-back SSM rolls/re-rolls with GOWK on a Double Crit from Canderous in the previous round (yep, that's right, 120 damage right away = dead GOWK), it was great to see her having fun taking down Mike's GMLS.

Emily's forces finish off Mike's squad.

LOL, somehow we got a lot of pics of Mike/Emily's game. I guess they might've been the only ones still playing at that point while Scott was walking around taking pictures.

I'll see if I can uncover a few more photos of things like the customs and the specialized raffle tickets we made for the day. :)

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 10:38 am 
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice

awesome pics! love it.

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 12:32 pm 
Name Calling Internet Bully
Name Calling Internet Bully

LoboStele wrote:

LOL, somehow we got a lot of pics of Mike/Emily's game. I guess they might've been the only ones still playing at that point while Scott was walking around taking pictures.

I think the camera man was enamored at a girl playing SWMs in the store :)

http://www.bloomilk.com/Squads/Search.aspx?UserID=29

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 12:39 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

billiv15 wrote:
LoboStele wrote:

LOL, could be. But wasn't me taking pictures. So nice try. :P

The guy taking those pics was the artist, Scott, and he'd never even seen SWMs before. And honestly, I think it's just because he happened to get up to take pics towards the end of a round, and Mike and Emily were the last ones to finish that round I think.

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 12:52 pm 
The One True Sith Lord
The One True Sith Lord

LoboStele wrote:
billiv15 wrote:
LoboStele wrote:

LOL, could be. But wasn't me taking pictures. So nice try. :P

The guy taking those pics was the artist, Scott, and he'd never even seen SWMs before. And honestly, I think it's just because he happened to get up to take pics towards the end of a round, and Mike and Emily were the last ones to finish that round I think.

Yeah that must totally be it Aaron because guys aren't known for taking pics of cute girls. LOL!!!!!

I am alos sure all the guys flocked to the table so they could watch the match too!!!!!!

Ia asked you out on your first date obviously because I am beginning to think you are clueless!!!!!!

Collection: 934/934

SWM DCI Content Manager

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 12:57 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Hahaha....but...but....I....

Ah, screw it. Just gonna stop while I'm behind. :P :lol: