logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Chicago Regional Results
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 1:41 pm 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

We had 19 players. Lobo even finally showed up in the third round. There were a lot of NR squads I think maybe almost half the field( I could be wrong). No Yodabuck Gen skywalkers or Snowspeeders.There was one Yodabuck squad with Jar Jar. There were not many Evade squads with wedge or Rieekan.

Deri Morgan won 6-1

He went 4-1 swiss lost to Lancer (tim)
He played
Mara Jedi
Han GH
Anakin Solo
Lobot
Gha
Mouse
Ganner
Dod
Ravaged Base

there might of been another pieces here or there

Second Jon Brook(5-2)
4-1 swiss lost to Mara Han GH MTB(mark)

46 Darth Vader, Sith Apprentice
32 Thrawn (Mitth'raw'nuruodo)
31 Arica
28 Dash Rendar, Renegade Smuggler
27 Lobot
18 Arden Lyn
10 Jagged Fel
8 Mas Amedda
Rancor Pit

In the last round of swiss I played Tim and his Lancer MTB and Arica did a nasty BB to him.
Then I had to play him again in the first round of the playoffs and he won map Ravaged Base.
It was a close game but I came on top with a 10 hp vader left.
I lost to Deri in the finals but I did get to kill Gha.

Third
Tim Ballard(5-2)
4-1 swiss last to Jonny
He had
GGDAC
Darth Sidious
Lancer
Hum BG
Lancer
Lobot
Gha
Mice
San
Ravaged Base

Used Mice and MTB as rein
He did really well till the last round of swiss. He was 4-0 till he got to face ARICA. The last round he lost because of a nasty BB. Then in the Playoffs it just came down to Dice in that game.

4th
Jake(4-3)
4-1 lost to ?
He beat Lobo in the last round to make the playoffs. Lobo was running rebels

Mara
Dash
Jag
Ganner
Shado
Dod
I dont know what else was in the squad never played him.
He lost to Deri In the playoffs.
Map I dont know

Post subject: Re: Chicago Regional Results
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 5:05 pm 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

Brad do you have anymore of the squads?

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 5:17 pm 
Big Bad Brad
Big Bad Brad

Yes, I meant to report today, but I left my box in my car along with tall the squad registrations so I plan on putting up a full report tomorrow.

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 5:40 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

First and foremost thanks to Brad for a great job judging! He traveled quite a distance to help us all out. May I also say he did as well as could be reasonably expected in juggling pairing a little on the fly when non-sensical pairings popped up. After Wizards left us high and dry without updated software, Brad had to use a program created by Aaron (basically finished the night before from what I understand) for the first time, so it was a little extra mental exercise for him to double check mentally each round.

Speaking of - thanks to Aaron (lobostele) for the pairing program. Pairing accurately would have been next to impossible without it. Sorry he couldn't have been at the tourney sooner.

Last, but certainly not least thanks to Lexx and all the guys at Chicagoland games for giving up the space at the store and providing prize support, and as always being as big supporter of Star Wars minis!

Congrats to Deri for winning it, and Jonny B and Jake K the other finalists.

My Squad:

Sir Lance-a-lot

General Greivous, Droid Army Commander
Darth Sidious
IG Lancer Droid
Lobot
Gha Gnackt
Human bodyguard
San Hill
Battle Droid Officer
R7 Astromech Droid
Mouse Droid

Preferred Reinforcements:
Muun Tactics Broker + Mouse Droids x6
-or (VS "Never Tell Me the Odds" and high activations - Mouse Droids x10)

Map: Ravaged Base

Round 1 vs Jake S (Michigan)

He brought
General Greivous, Droid Army Commander
Lobot
Jedi Hunter Droid x2
IG-86 x2
San Hill
(Don't remember the rest exactly - fodder?)

First off - I completely spaced that using a MTB vs San Hill gives auto reserves every round, and brought him in. Whoops! I thought that lost me the game straight off. In hind sight, it was the right choice. Since I out-activated and had double-override, it didn't matter how many repair droids or BG droids Jake brought, I kept on eating them up with the lancer. It did take longer, but all those reserves do count for points. Jake's squad was powerful (especially vs force users), but not a good match-up for my squad.
Result: Win (3 points)

Round 2 vs Deri Morgan

He brought:
Han Solo galactic Hero
Mara Jade, Jedi
Ganner Rhysode
Lobot
Anakin Skywalker
Gha Gnackt
General Dodanna
Ugnaught Demolitionist
Mouse Droid

We both brought 10 mouse droids (I think I sold him on the power of Gha Gnackt last year. :mrgreen: ) This match-up came down to 2 things. #1 I had 10 base activations (20 with the mice) - Deri had 9 base activations (19 with mice). When you are playing to out-activate, you gotta out activate. #2 One misplacement of is Lobot. It gave me just the distance I needed to swoop in and lance his Lobot and get back to safety. Then he had little choice but to aggressively advance while I locked doors ad tried to strafe safely. Time ended and I came out with a 2 point victory, after a tough close match.
Result: Win (2 points)

Round 3 vs Lou V

He brought
Grand Master Yoda
Dash Rendar, Renegade Smuggler
Jedi Weapons Master x2
The Dark Woman
R2-D2 Astromech Droid
R7 Astromech Droid (?)
Ugnaught Demolitionist x2
Mouse Droid x7

We played on his map (Bespin) and I chose inside (Is there really any choice here?). I lined up along the top to have a quicker shot down the ducts to the only building on his side of the map. He his his scrubs in the back room, but put his hitters right out on the landing pad. It was a bad match-up from the start, and unlike our match-up at marmalade dog - the map gave him no spot to prevent me from strafing. I decimated his team at the end of the first round, going around his JWMs (plenty of room to do that on the landing pad), and killing Dash and R2, and finishing of Dark woman at the beginning of the next round, and ending up poised to waste his fodder in the back room next round. He had no choice but to advance for the rest of my squad, but wasn't going to get far after losing door control. Then I came back through with the Lancer and him having 2 JWMs and GM Yoda vs my whole squad. I zap, blaster, lock Yoda. Make him activate, then unlock and repeat. Yoda Dies, and I get the JWMs down to lancer killing levels. One is out of FPs and the Lancer is fuuly repaired by now so I strafe the 2 JWMs to death.

Round 4 vs Mark Crudo

He brought:
Han Solo galactic Hero
Mara Jade, Jedi
Ganner Rhysode
Lobot
Gha Gnackt
General Dodanna
R7 Astromech Droid
Ugnaught Demolitionist x2
Mouse Droid x 7

Mark won map and we played on his map (Bespin again). I brought my 10 mice, and he brought Garindan and Wicket. I lined up along the top and so did he. Luckily (he didn't have more mice to bring with Lobot) I still out-activated him, and that made a huge difference. He started to advance, and I did an end of the round strafe killing his R7 and some scrubs, coming back to safety. He then advanced further down the duct, and I threw a bunch of mice in the duct to stop his advance. He eventually killed my Lobot, but not before a couple more strafes and Han, Ganner and Mara were all dangerously low, and his Lobot was too far back to be very effective. I finished off his big boys just as I was whittling down my own activations with the MTB.

At this point I was the only undefeated player, but we (unfortunately) had to play another round.

Round 5 vs Jonny B

He brought:
Darth Vader, Sith Apprentice
Thrawn (Mitth'raw'nuruodo)
Arica
Lobot
Arden Lynn
Mas Amedda
(fodder)

He won map roll and we played on his Rancor Pit. I chose the side with all the rooms, but it didn't matter. Jonny placed his figures very well, and I couldn't risk strafing Vader, so they we're safely tucked away. I had a chance to double strafe Arden Lyn at the end of the round, but I couldn't finish her off and make it back to safety, so I just moved up a bit and locked the door. I just basically waited for round 2 (mistake #1). I then didn't sacrifice San Hill (mistake #2) with the MTB. So he moved Arden Lynn up to the locked door. Since I couldn't activate 2, there wasn't much I could do, so I just burned an activation (mistake #3). He swapped in Arica, and there was still nothing I could do, so I burned another activation (mistake #4). He then unlocks the door, and comes in for a devastating Blaster Barrage. Killing my Bg first, then Gha, and a bunch of fodder, and then taking 40 off the rest. Man, sniper BB is nasty. Downhill from there. I finished her off and then he runs down the rest.
Result: Loss (3 point for Jonny)

So here was the records after Swiss:

Deri #1 (12 points) Lost to a 4-1 record <Tim>
Jonny #2 (12 points) Lost to a 3-2 record <Mark>
Tim #3 (11 points) Lost to a 4-1 record <Jonny>
Jake #4 (11 points) Lost to a 2-3 record <Bill>

Semi-Finals vs Jonny B

So - I get a rematch vs Jonny. I won map this time, and Jonny chose inside of the ravaged base. I was able to kill off his Lobot and 1 uggie, but he had one left. He advanced Arden Lynn and a Caamasi Noble he brought through Lobot's reinforcements. He was able to blow 1 door, and I simply locked the next one in line, trying to prevent the swap. I didn't realize that do to crumbled walls, there was a very winding route to boardwide CEs. So he swapped in Arica, and she banged up quite a bit of my squad. Finished her off along with Arden Lynn, and essentially sacrificed the Lancer to kill Dash. So it was Vader vs Sidious and Grievous. I whittled Vader down to 40hp, Sidious had 50 hp left. I won the MTB aided init, and zapped Vader. He then killed Sidous, which put Jonny ahead in the end. He swapped out Vader for the win. After the match I realized if I had zapped Vader with sidious and backed up (taking only 40 on the AoO, surviving barring a crit), he couldn't have gotten around Grievous to finish him off, and I would have won. Oh well - hindsight 20/20. Jonny played well and earned the win.
Result: Loss (2 point win for Jonny)

Consolation Finals vs Jake K

He brought:
Shado Vao
Mara Jade, Jedi
Ganner Rhysode
Lobot
Jagged Fel
General Dodonna
Ugnaught Demolitionist (?)

Then for the honor of 3rd place braggin' rights, I played Jake K (who lost to Deri in the Semi-finals). We played on Ravaged Base, I was outside. He had Shado Vao, which made me pick my route very carefully with the Lancer. He was dangerous, because he could kill the lancer from 8 squares away (move faster + precision <MotF2>), or 20 with Ganner. But - since I out-activated, and had an MTB (No Han GH to face here!) I had 72 sqaures to strafe and return. I was able to kill a bunch of fodder and Lobot, and it was downhill for him after that. He made EVERY save with Shado and Mara's blocks, but eventually I whittled them down. I finally killed Mara and basically sacrificed the Lancer to kill Dash, leaving him with only Shado (who was all up in Grievous's buisness) and a badly wounded Ganner. He had to sacrifice Ganner to kill the Lancer, and Grievous and Sidious finished off Shado.

Final 4 Standings:

I can't complain about 3rd place, but of course it would have been nice to win it again. Deri said he was glad he didn't have to face me again, because he thought my squad had a serious advantage over his (if there is an edge, it is only a slight one in my opinion.) I don't honestly think I would have beat Deri again (hard enough to beat him once, much less 2 times in a single tournament. In fact - I think I can safely say nobody has ever done that!) It was interesting that the top 3 were sort of rock, paper, scissors. I beat Deri, Jonny beat me, and Deri beat Jonny. But all that matters is making the finals and then winning the next 2, and Deri did that.

Hope I can make some more regionals, but I can't be sure due to work. I had a blast at this one though!

Last edited by TimmerB123 on Mon May 03, 2010 10:31 am, edited 6 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 6:56 pm 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

How was I 3rd overall after the swiss I had 12 pts? Tim and Deri would have 11?
I dont know how many Jake had.I know that after 2 rounds there were only 2 full point guys. Unless Jake lost in the first two rounds I should of been number one or two right?

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 7:04 pm 
Hand of the Sith
Hand of the Sith

It was very fun to travel to chicago and play with all of you. Thanks to brad and lexx for running a great event. I did ok going 3-2 loses to tim b and aaron b (lobo) i had a fun win over bill r and 2 other wins one ovet tim g and the other over jon. I hope anyone who can make it to michigan to play this weekend would try to come.

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 7:06 pm 
Hand of the Sith
Hand of the Sith

jon bill beat jake k

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 7:08 pm 
Big Bad Brad
Big Bad Brad

jonnyb815 wrote:
How was I 3rd overall after the swiss I had 12 pts? Tim and Deri would have 11?
I dont know how many Jake had.I know that after 2 rounds there were only 2 full point guys. Unless Jake lost in the first two rounds I should of been number one or two right?

Jonny you and Deri both finished with 12, Tim and Jake had 11. So you were indeed 1 or 2 (2 I believe) after the swiss. Tim and Jake were 3rd and 4th after the swiss, and for the single elim I paired 1v4 and 2v3.

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 7:10 pm 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

No it had to be Jake number 1 then me Tim Deri. Tim and Deri game went to time. That makes sense then.

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 8:47 pm 
Big Bad Brad
Big Bad Brad

jonnyb815 wrote:
No it had to be Jake number 1 then me Tim Deri. Tim and Deri game went to time. That makes sense then.

Lol, Jonny, when does anything you say ever make sense? Tim and Deri's game went to time and that was Deri's ONE loss (just like everyone else in the final four), so he had 4 x3=12 points. The first game was Jake and Deri and You and Tim. So it had to be Deri, You, Tim, Jake.

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 6:58 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

After swiss:

After the finals:

Deri #1
Jonny #2
Tim #3
Jake #4

So nothing changed between the results. We could have all left earlier without the finals with the same 1-4. :D

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 9:31 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

I was so glad I was able to make it, even if it was half-way through, lol. I had a blast, and as always, it's a joy to hang out and see the Chicago crew.

Glad my Excel program worked (for the most part) and wasn't too much of a headache. I hope the other Regionals fared as well.

I'll have to continue to work on it and see if I can't work out those weird pairing bugs. :)

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 9:39 am 
Name Calling Internet Bully
Name Calling Internet Bully

Time for Bill's Report of the Chicago Regional.

I chose this squad:
Scourge's Glue Gun
Thrawn 32
Mas 8
Vader Scourge 55
Arica 31
Zuckuss 35
Lobot 27
Ugnaught X3
Rodian Brute
Map - Rancor Pit

I chose the squad for a couple of reasons. First, I like it, I like all the options it has, the various ways I can do damage, and having three decent threats. I also haven't had time to play anything lol, so I wanted to go with something I knew. I knew ahead of time I would have some trouble with NR squads, especially if Deri played Ganner, Mara, Han GH (and he did lol - told Lou a couple days before I didn't want to face this if Deri played something like that :)). But as I said, without any real practice with MotF, and only having played 1 real tournament in a few months, I needed something I trusted. This one also let's me deal with most everything else other than NR really well, so I figured it's a good counter to Yoda on Kybuck and the Lancer (which of course I didn't play against either lol). Also, Rancor pit helps a lot against the bad NR match ups, but I was 1-4 on map rolls, only winning it in my final match lol.

Round 1 - Republic -
Yoda GM
JWM X2
Panaka
Lando DS
R2
Filler

I think we played on Ravaged base, although I don't remember for certain. Either way, I set up second, out activated him, and used a first round/second round double barrage to off his R2 and almost all of his fodder. Then it was simply a matter of Vader cleaning up, while zuckuss kept vader isolated one on one. Full win in about 30 minutes.

Round 2 - Republic (Lou)
Yoda GM
JWM X2
Dark Woman
Dash
R2
16 activations

We played on his map, Bespin, which was a problem for my squad. He has a lot of beef, and equaled my activation count, so no end of round, beginning of round goodness for me. I set up a decent barrage through the maintenance tunnel in round 3, lost Arica and Vader finished a JWM. The sheer amount of beef was a problem for me (as it always is for B&B type squads) and Lou played it well. He rushed me with the remaining pieces, and we duked it out. I eventually isolated Yoda and killed his R2, but wasn't able to until Yoda got off a double twin on my Zuckuss. Killed Yoda, but eventually lost Zuckuss to Dash and the remaining JWM. Vader chased down the DW and eventually killed her, but being down to only 2 activations, I couldn't get through his mouse droid wall fast enough (missed at least twice with Vader lol). Full loss in about 35 minutes. 1-1 If the game had been on Rancor pit, I probably would have been able to win it. Being able to protect my pieces much better, and isolating for my attacks. Bespin is just a bad, bad map for Imperial Swaps.

Round 3 - NR (Jake)
Ganner
Mara
Dash
Shado
Filler

The start of the NR gauntlet lol. Jake was 2-0, but was paired down. He won map, so we played on Ravaged base. I brought in a Kel Dor and 2 Brutes in this one (only time I did that). Also, his lack of disruptive helped me tremendously. I was able to bait him to shoot my Kel dor at one point with Mara, which let me base her with Vader and use throw, then finish her with Arica's twin. That mistake by him turned the match. I used Zuckuss to stick his Dash (swapping in the Kel Dor so he couldn't shoot anything) so Mara had to take the shots if he wanted to kill it before it based a bunch of his stuff (Opportunist AoOs is not good with the KD lol). 2-1.

Round 4 - NR (Deri)
Ganner
Mara
Han GH
Anakin Solo
rest didn't matter lol

This was the match up I didn't want to see, and sure enough, my chances at making the top 4 depending on winning my worst possible match (perhaps 80-20 on squad strength alone). I figured I had to win map to have a decent chance, and of course, I lost it again. Deri had Ravaged base, so we played on that. I set up a nice barrage that eliminates almost all of his fodder at the end of round 1 and which forces him to move Mara with Ganner 1/2 way across the board early to take out Arica. He does, and we finish round 1. Now I outactivate him, but it's not much help with Ganner, Mara and Han still untouched. I have to decide how to attack, so I stick his Han that round. I attack at the end of a round with Vader to kill his Anakin hiding in gambit. Next round I take a calculated chance to allow Mara to cunning assault Vader (to get the chance to kill her with Vader, and he makes 3/4 (that's what I wanted). I attack back, and low and behold, only do 40dmg. Given that I can't kill her next round with a won init, I decide to swap Vader away. I don't swap him far enough though, because I forgot to calculate Han's GMA range with Ganner - although in the end it doesn't make much difference given what happens next. Next round, was where the trouble begins. I try to stick his Mara (70hps left), and fail both shots. Had I done so, he still would have had his Han to try and kill Vader because I swapped him a little too close the last round, but would have needed to hit a 7 at least. Anyways, Mara kills Vader, Zuckuss does some more damage, my swappers use opp to land some damage, and we continue on. I eventually kill Mara, but there was no chance with Zuckuss alone against Han and Ganner. 2-2 full win for Deri and my tournament chances are over.

Final round - NR - Matt Peterson
Kyle
Wedge
Mara
Ganner
Filler

So Matt and I are set to play a meaningless game 5, and finally, for the first time all day, I win a map roll lol. So we play on Rancor pit, and he takes the left side. At this point, I'm just playing for fun, and don't pay total attention. I play it well, sticking Mara at a key point, allowing me to isolate Kyle. I go after him and get him to 20hps (missed the kill show of course). This allows him to levitate Kyle, and triple my Zuckuss. Well that sucks because I can't take the AoO with Arica to get out of disruptive without giving up evade. So I decide to try for the kill with Zuck (which of course, I didn't want to do because I wanted to stick Mara again). And of course, both shots fail (missed by 1 because of duelist lol). Arica tries to kill, and she fails, then several of my scrubs go for it. I finally kill Kyle, after using like my whole squad to attack him lol. So things are looking pretty good. Mara finished my Zuckuss (couldn't swap him away in time because of disruptive) and so we move on. Next round, I basically attack Ganner and Mara with scrubs, Vader was swapped away, but for some reason I brain fart on Ganner's levitate, and didn't swap Vader far enough away lol. Mara goes for the kill, and sure enough, he hits 3/4 attacks. Would have survived it too, but had been hit once by Kyle and Mara's last attack was a 19 killing Vader. So it's up to Arica and scrubs. I kill Ganner, but have little chance to finish Mara without getting within her range for assault, and even without cunning she still can kill her easily. So I try using Thrawn and Mas as bait, which does bide me some time, even though in the end it wasn't enough. Full win Matt.

Final record 2-3.

As expected, the squad struggled against NR (1-2), but I didn't play any of the matchups I was hoping (Lancer/Yodabuck/Skywalker). Still had a ton of fun, and losing good close games to Lou, Deri and Matt is never a bad thing (3 hall of Famers), especially since I didn't have any practice and wasn't even sure I could play until the day before.

Also, I second Dean's point in his regional write up. Not needing a badge for Gencon, and not playing in the Championship takes the edge off of regionals. While I'm still a competitive person, I didn't feel the need to prepare like i would normally. I think with a little more preparation I might have either shifted my squad slightly (Cad, Arden instead of Arica Zuckuss), went with another faction altogether, or played around with strategy options to have a better idea what I wanted to do against the NR. I had the general plan down, but just failed to execute properly in a couple of cases. I think that was a consequence of my preparation. Anyways, awesome event, thanks to Lex and Brad especially, and I look forward to Racine in a couple of weeks! Congrats Deri, Jonny, Tim and Jake for making the finals, and Deri for taking home the badge!

http://www.bloomilk.com/Squads/Search.aspx?UserID=29

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 10:02 am 
Big Bad Brad
Big Bad Brad

As Jonny mentioned, there were 19 participants with 16 finishing, so we had to go 5 rounds. We had participants from as far away as Lansing, MI and La Porte, IN. I want to thank Jonny for inviting me to judge, and Lex for the awesome prize support. He gave me two cases of MOTF to distribute, so everyone in the bottom 12 got a booster.

Aaron's program worked great as can be expected. I only encountered a few glitches: Bill and Lou getting paired together in back to back rounds (not possible in the old software, but technically accurate as one was the lowest 2-1 and the other was the highest 1-2) Tim G. recieved the Bye twice (which I did not catch) due to the fact that it let me advance to pairings without entering his win, and Gunnar never recieved the bye going 0-5. There was also an issue with drops recording in the previous rounds as opposed to the round after they drop.

I want to mention how great and gracious this group was, especially in regards to Aaron (lobosteele) who, due to car trouble, reported he would not make the first round and would take the loss. I was impressed that everyone was willing to give such a well-known and experienced champion player the first round bye, and thus an auto win. His second round opponent was even willing to wait past the ten minute limit to play him, though after 30 I was forced to give Aaron the loss. He finally showed up in time for the 3rd round.

I also want to point out that the final four finished 12, 12, 11, and 11. So anyone trying to win all 5 rounds by time would have not finsihed in the top 4 despite going 5-0. There was only one game that went to time that I awarded the 3pt win as the final score was 186-76 with and decent sized figure down to 20.

I only had to give out one warning for slow play (though he was not deliberately stalling) and only had one issue come up in judging. Now onto the list of squads in "order" of finishing:

Deri M. - "Ganner Hammer" Han Solo, GH; Mara Jade, Jedi; Ganner; Lobot; Anakin Solo; Gha Nacht; Dodonna; Ugo; mouse
Deri mentioned that he had designed this squad with Thrawn (specifically Thrawn-Bane) squads in mind. He faced
one, to my knowledge.

Jonny B.- Vader, SA; Lobot; Arden Lyn; Dash Rendar, RS; Jagged Fel; Arica; Mas; Mithrawn.

Tim B.- "Sir Lance-a-Lot" Grievous, Dac; Darth Sidious; IG Lancer; Lobot; Gha Nackt; Human Bodyguard; San Hill; BDO; R7;
mouse. Deri pointed out that Tim's newest piece (R7) was three sets (GaW) ago. Since Tim was the first person
I entered into the scoring program and there are no table pairings, I was able to watch most of his games as he
was at table 1 in front of the judge computer most of the day. Unfortunately, that fact hurt him at the end of the
day, likely knocking him out of the final two.

Jake K.(4-1)- Mara Jade, Jedi; Ganner; Dash Rendar, RS; Jagged Fel; Mouse x2; R7; R4; Dodonna; ugo x3; Shado Vao.

Tim G.- Yoda; Saesee Tiin, JM; Anakin, Jedi; Jarael; Lando, DS; R2AM; Wicket; Ugnaught Demo x2; Mouse Droid x2.
Honestly, with Tim recieving two byes I am not sure how the program decided he was the highest of the
3-2's, so in a way, I am glad that Aaron (who would have given up his spot) did not place in the top 4, as
it would have been an issue to award Tim his spot.

Mark C.-Han Solo, GH; Mara Jade, Jedi; Ganner; Lobot; Gha Nackt; Dodonna; R7; ugo; mouse x7; gran
Mark, in my opinion, should have the #5 seed (and again I am glad I didn't have to make that judgement)
as he went 2nd only to Tim for longest undefeated (losing to Tim in the 4th Round). The only thing that could
hurt his standings was his first round opponent of Gunnar (0-5)

Matt P.-Kyle Katarn, JBM; Mara Jade, Jedi; Wedge; Ganner; Dodonna; R7; TBSV; Camaasi; ugo x2; mouse

Jacob S.- "Grievous' Meat Grinder" GG, DAC; Jedi Hunter Droid x2; IG Assassin x2; Lobot; San Hill; R7; BDO

Lou V.- "Grand Master Sexy" GMY; R2AM; JWM x2; Dash Rendar, RS; Dark Woman; R7; Mouse x7; Ugo x2

Aaron B (3-2)- ??? Since Aaron showed up late he never turned in a Squad Registration sheet to me.

Bill R.- "Scourge's Glue Gun" Mithrawn; DVSOTJ; Arica; Zuckuss; Mas; Lobot; Rodian Brute x3, Ugo x3
The highest of the 2-3's, Bill just had a rough day with the dice. Apparently Zuckuss was out of glue.

James W.- VAR; Zuckuss; YoD; Luke, HPU; Riekaan; Anakin, FS; R7; Leia, Senator; Mouse x2; ugo x2
James' games were either all him or not. He got off some notable pushes (including Boba Fett, BH) but also
had one game go 16 rounds when he lost all his door control and got VAR and HPU locked in a room, with
20+ FP's apiece.

Troy K.- "Greater Mobile Rebels" Cade Skywalker, BH; VAR; Luke, HPU; TBSV; Riekaan; Dodonna; Obi, JS; R7; ugo x2.
Troy definately gets my good sportsman award. His second round opponent was fairly new, and with the obvious
mismatch of squads in his favor, Troy took the time with Jason to explain and reccommend his best options each
phase. He ended up behind in points early, losing Cade in round two, but his pushes were able to finish off the
weaker squad.

Bob S.- "Speeder Buster" Mara Jade, Jedi; Ganner; Jagged Fel; Luke, FS; Zuckuss; Dash Rendar, RS: Dodonna; Mouse x3
ugo; rodian brute x2, R7 x2. Bob borrowed this squad off of me the night before and thus had no practice with it,
so a 2-3 finish wasn't too bad.

John S (2-3)- GMY; JWM x3; Panaka; R2AM; Rodian Diplomat; Lando, DS; Mouse x2; ugo x2.

Gunnar M. (0-5)- GMLS; Ganner; Zuckuss; Lando, DS; ugo. Gunnar was quite gracious over the mispairings, and even
refused my offer of compensation from my trade box.

Justin S. (0-3)- Yodabuck; Captain Rex; R2AM; Mas; Panka; Jarael; Jar Jar; Camaasi; Gran x 5; ugo x3

Ethan S. (0-2) - R7; CLObot; Mas; R2AM; FLObi; TBSV; Boba Fett, BH; Ugo x4. I would have liked to see Ethan stay in,
and James tried to convince him likewise, but the Pushing of Boba Fett into a pit in his 2nd game deflated
him.

Jason J. (0-2) - VAU; ISP; Bossk, TH; Trandoshan Elite Merc; Trandoshan, Merc; CLObot; Zuckuss; TBSV.
I don't know much about Jason other than he is a fairly new player with a limited collection. In fact, he
only created a 154 point squad with no door control, so I had to sit down with him and add 46 points to his
squad with what he had. I was glad his first and only two opponents were Bob and Troy.

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 12:35 pm 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

I had a great day on Saturday, many thanks to all the guys who came great distances to play like Aaron, Lou, Jake and a big thanks to Brad (the_celestial_warrior) for a stellar job of judging and organising for the 10 or so hours the tournament went for. The tourney was very smooth.
A massive thanks to Lexx and JP for holding the tourney in the Dice Dojo. Both are great dudes and Lexx struggled through the day whilst nursing the ill effects froma heavy night before.

you can read a brief of the squad i ran here
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=9088

i called it "Ganner Hammer" on the squad list I gave to Brad but on bloomilk its always been called "Solo Charge" because of the father and son pair and the fact the Mara often ends up 12+ squares away from the rest of the crew doing the dirty.

Han GH
Mara
Ganner
Lobot
Anakin Solo
Gha
dodonna
uggie
Mouse

1st match v troy. He was running Rebel force push with Cade
Cade Skywalker
VAR
Luke HPU
TBSV
Reiken
Dodonna
Obi Wan FS
R7
uggies

Ruined Base
I set up inside the base with him on the outside. The game was a bit brutal for Troy. As he moved in he positioned Cade Forward which meant that my main target was within reach of Mara. A levitation followed by an assault, followed by init and another assault finished Cade. Mara got pushed by VAR and then i set up a mouse screen so that HPU couldn't put another 40 on him. Over the next couple of rounds mara finished HPU and han finished the TBSV before Anakin and Ganner started pushing VAR around. Alll the action happened within the control room and the central corridor.
1-0

2nd v timmerb123
his squad was his "sirlancelot"
Its a San Hill, Greivos DAC, Sideous, Gha, Lancer squad.
Very nasty, really didn't want to face it and was bummed i faced it in teh 2nd round. He got the set up roll and put his guys inside teh base where its very hard to get at his commanders. I set up poorly paying too much attention to spreading my 11 mice rather than thinking about how i was going to advance. As a result i was a square away from opening a door with a mouse and move lobot up too close on the wrong turn to open it. That basically cost me the game as Tim strafed him and then retreated leaving me with one uggie to blow doors. This really slowed my advance and it took me too long to get into the building. I made another error thinking i had a decent chance with mara to hirt the lancer but i forgot several factors (BGD, repair, and 21 D) which just got her killed. It went to time but I really had no chance of a come back after the initial errors.
1-1

3rd v Matt peterson in my first NR duel.
Kyle JBM
Mara
Ganner
Wedge
TBSV
r7
dodonna
Camassi
Fodder

Again on ruined base and with me inside this time. I brought in a felucian, r7 and 3 mice. Matt advanced into the control room taking 1st round gambit with a levitated camassi whereas i just moved forward giving up the 5 points for a launch set up next round. Matt moved in next round and aftern he'd gone I launched Mara in killing wedge. With initiative mine, Mara assaulted Ganner killing him also leaving Kyle, mara and the TBSV against my squad. Mara then took the brunt of the counter attack while Han started chipping away at mara who was now evadeless. My mara got killed and my han took 60 some how (mara 8 square cunning?) but anakin moved up to push Kyle away to prevent the kill (this was the star of anakin imposing a large amount of control on the game). I boxed his pieces in the control room using my mice and uggies and got Mara down to 30 dmg with the felucian and Han shots. Matt won init but was a bit hamstrung with options due to me getting my felucian in the way inside the room and blocking his path to me with mice. He didn't move Mara and Han got levitated in for the kill on Mara and Dodonna.
Han got killed as did the TBSV which left Kyle with 20 off him v Ganner and Anakin. Ganner and Anakin started force pushing kyle through doors and Kyle wasn't able to mount an offense.
2-1

4th game V bill
he had his Scourge Glue gun that is currently rated #1 on bloomilk 200 point squads.
His write up pretty much summarises it. We were on the runied base and the presence of Zuckuss made me set up differently. That in turn allowed him to set up a sweet blaster barrage that took out about 4-5 of my fodder pieces and hit han which he evaded. Unfortunately for bill that meant Arica was within 19 of mara and a couple of open doors, a levitate and an assault meant dead Arica (point to Note, i missed one attack which meant she should have lived but a deadly attack crit made the extra 10 dmg i needed for Mara to kill her younger-self; this emphasizes the manner in which the luck went my way). The rest of the action happened in the vertical corridor on the left side. Han got stuck but again evaded the dmg, Vader jacked up Anakin but got assaulted for his troubles. Vader put 40 on mara with one being blocked and he swapped away. With init Zuckuss missed his shot on Mara and the ended Scourge because of a levi assault. Once scourge was down it was mop up with Han, mara and Ganner hunting down Zuckuss and thrawn.

5th Game V Mark Crudo
He was running a Han GH, Mara, Ganner, Gha and activation squad (the same as mine but without Anakin)
We played on Bespin (his map). Mark is a good friend and we had helped each other build the squad with him choosing more actiations over anakin for a stronger MTB engine, he chose a BGD for reinforcements whereas i went with dual override, and uggie and 5 mice. I had the building side. Mark advanced up to the top shaft and opened the door which allowed me to get first blood by putting 60 on ganner with Han. I blocked up the shaft with an uhnaught and made moves to get a flanking attack with Mara through the front of the building. She saw the danger and tried to get there first but made an error counting and ended up not getting any attack off on Anakin. This allowed me to counter assault his ganner for the kill and retreat. He then moved to kill anakin with Han but missed both shots needing 8s. We both then set up mice screens and the top door into bespin became awash with mice. I'm not sure what happened specifically but his mara died i think after killing anakin, my mara killed han and My han and Ganner finished Mara. It was a shame to knock out Mark from the top 4 but it was just the rolls that really decided it.
4-1

elimination stage

I played Jake with another NR squad
Shado
Mara
Ganner
Dash
Jagged
Dodonna
R7
filler
The difference here was mainly activations. the first round was movement with Jake (from teh outside) getting Shado into gambit and me advancing for a launch but forgoing gambit. In the second round he moved more people into the center room and i opened doors in the room south to the central corridor for a possible flank and also bait. Jake took the bait on a mouse with Dash and that let me levi assault him for the kill. I won init and assaulted Shado for 60 dmg on him. He counter assaulted my ganner killing him. Han put 40 on mara and then anakin pushed her south and i put her into a box of mice and locked doors meaning she wasn't going to be able to kill anything other than mice next round. jake won init and chose to protect Shado from Mara by livitating him behind his own fodder screen. This allowed han to kill mara with 2 combined fire cunning shots. Shado attacked Mara putting 30 on her. Mara killed him and it was ganner ve the world. A few shots and an unleash the force later and the game was done.

Final v Jonnyb
Vader SA (501st dude)
Thrawn
Arica
Dash
Arden Lynn
lobot
Mas
On Rancor pit
As a general point to note - Any thrawn build will struggle with such a powerful addition to the NR. Due to Ganner, Mara is now as fast as Thrawn can make any reasonable piece and Han GH takes away Master tactitian and adjacent swaps. The fact that he can pick off fodder that advances for the swap means that most of Thrawns tricks are nerfed. Johnny knew this and struggled to come up with a strategy to advance on my squad as I took the rancor pen side.
I advanced slowly using Han to take end of round levi shots as i advanced with mice. I put 20-40 on Lynn and this detered Johnny from using her as a swap piece. Johnny sacrificed a few fodder pieces to get one far enough forward to get a Blaster Barrage on about 7 of my figs. He put 40 on Ganner, 20 on Mara and 20 on han which was evaded and Killed a number of mice. This cost Johnny Arica as a levi assault ended her day. Seeing his force dwindle and me taking a strong gambit position with Anakin Johnny attempted a full on assault but put Dash to close and Mara levi-assaulted him into retirement. With initiative Han put vader into disruptive and put 60 on him. Lynn attacked mara with opportunist but hit only once and was then killed in the retern assault. Vader killed Gha with a token effort before being finished with a final assault.
A pretty brutal game for johnny.

I had great fun with this squad and it looks to be one of the gatekeepers going forward.

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 1:24 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

The_Celestial_Warrior wrote:
We had participants from as far away as Lansing, MI and La Porte, IN.

And Cincinnati!! :P

The_Celestial_Warrior wrote:
Aaron B (3-2)- ??? Since Aaron showed up late he never turned in a Squad Registration sheet to me.

Doh! My bad.

The squad I ran was what I call 'Dark Temptation'. :)

--Dark Temptation 200--
27 Ferus Olin
27 Han Solo, Smuggler
27 Luke Skywalker, Rebel Commando
20 Princess Leia
16 Elite Rebel Commando
16 General Crix Madine
14 General Rieekan
9 General Dodonna
9 R2-D2 with Extended Sensor
8 Juno Eclipse
8 Obi-Wan Kenobi, Jedi Spirit
10 Caamasi Noble x2
6 Mouse Droid x2
3 Ugnaught Demolitionist

(200pts. 16 activations)

Once again, I want to thank everyone for being SO extremely gracious with me, and even when I said that I felt bad about getting a free win, and would intend to bow out of the top 4 if I made it, and everyone insisted I not do that. That meant a lot to me guys. Luckily, Jake got the better of me in the final round and I didn't have to worry about that, so it all worked out fine. :)

The 3 games I did get to play were:

Round 3, vs. Jacob Schuler and his GGDAC build. He did a great job with this one, and I pulled out the win, though there were a few spots were it could've gone different. I made some key Evade rolls and utilized my Disruptive a LOT to keep his droids at bay.

Round 4, vs Lou and his Republic build of GM Yoda, JWM x2, Dash, and Dark Woman. This was a seriously tough game, and probably the closest game I had of the three that day. I used Han early to kill both his R7 and R2-Astromech, eliminating his Override, and managed to put 50 on a JWM too. But I ended up losing Han in return, which I realized later was probably a bad idea, considering that he could do more damage than a lot of my other pieces. I finished the game having lost a large majority of my squad. I believe I had Crix, Leia, Luke and Ferus left, with not much HP on any of them though. The key part for me was a lot of won inits were Luke got to do Double/Cunning+20, and several key failed Block/Deflect/LS Defenses by Lou. Was a great game though.

Last game vs. Jake, and for my shot at the Top 4. I made a bold move in Round 1 to kill his R4 and put 50 on Jag. But then I was dumb and didn't properly check my distances to Mara (+ Ganner) on Round 2. I used Leia's CE to let Han kill Jag, but then on Han's turn I tried to kill an Ugo (and missed, lol), and then moved 6, instead of just moving far enough to get away from Mara. Ganner Levitated her, and she easily smoked Han. Luckily, I won the next init, and with a Luke Double/Cunning and some failed Blocks, Mara was down. At that point though, my Luck severely changed, and I made some bad play errors too. I mis-positioned a Caamasi and Dash based Luke, hitting all 4 shots and I missed my Deflect. Ferus and Leia combined to finish off Dash, but then taking out Shado proved to be tough. I consistently missed attacks at this point, at one time rolling a 4, 5, 2, and 3 all in a row. Shado then hit Leia and then Crit on Leia as well, which Ferus bodyguarded both of trying to keep myself in the best situation possible. But I forgot that Ganner had Force Push 2, and I didn't position a Caamasi properly to deny him that chance, and he used Push to take Ferus' last 20 HP. So at that point, I was down to just commanders with a full HP Shado on the board still. Plus, by then, Jake was making nearly every Block/Deflect save as well. The only high-point during those last couple rounds was when an Ugo crit on Ganner. :P Was an excellent played game, and a good lesson for me that I need to practice more against the NR/Ganner combo. I know how to play against Rebels with Levitation, but NR with Levitation is a whole different ball game, lol.

Oh, and since I didn't get around to telling this at the store on Saturday....here's why I was late in case you're interested in the crazy story, lol.

Spoiler: show
Originally intended to drive my SUV on Saturday morning, as our other car (a 2 seater convertible) isn't the best for road trips. Anyways, we'd been out at several stores for the evening on Friday, and about 3 times in a row, we left some place and then I said "Crap! I needed to pee" :lol: So, when we are finally on the way home (we were in separate vehicles), we run into about 2 miles of stopped traffic on the highway, due to a 3 car pile up. So, needless to say, by the time I actually got home, I REALLY had to pee. So I pulled in the garage, hopped out, and ran inside to pee. My wife gets home, comes in the house and I meet her at the door to help bring in stuff from her car, and the first thing she says is "Honey, where's your car?" :o

See, I'd left the garage door open because I knew she'd been only a couple minutes behind me at most. So my first thought was that someone had stolen it. By the time I walked to the edge of the garage, I saw the neighbors across the street (who are older folk that we rarely see outside, let alone at 10:30 at night) walking around the yard with flashlights, and it's at this point that it finally hits: I forgot to pull the emergency brake on my car (which is a manual)! It rolled out of our garage (which is mostly flat), and then down our driveway (which is not flat at all). It went through a ditch on the far side of the road, and LUCKILY between the neighbors' houses. It clipped a tree, taking off the driver's side mirror and a bunch of paint, and continued on down the hill. The next casualty was a wooden dog shelter and fenced in area (luckily, dogs were inside those people's house at the time), and finally came to a sudden stop on a tree.

I paced it off and the thing rolled almost 600 feet by itself. That's a 1/10 of a mile, lol. We figure it was probably moving close to 45-50 mph by the time it hit the tree based on the extent of the damage. The most amazing thing is, the car had the potential to hit 5 different houses, and yet managed to not hit any of them.

Gotta say, I am SO thankful to God for this working out as well as it did. Granted, my car is seriously jacked up, and possibly totaled, but nobody was hurt, and the neighbor's property damage shouldn't be too much just to replace the dog shelter/fence. It could have just as easily been the back of someone's house instead of the tree that finally stopped it. In addition, there was very little in my car at the time. All of my minis stuff was in there, and at first I thought my maps were messed up, but it turned out that it was all OK.

So, let this be a reminder to all you out there.....Don't wait so long to pee! :P

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 2:37 pm 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

holy crap Aaron!

I had no idea that all that stuff happened to you and thats why you were late. Major bummer man, hope it all works out ok for you.

It was a shame that there was a mass exodus after the swiss rounds. I went to the toilet and by the time i came out most had gone so i never really got to chat with you.

Any way, it was good to see you.

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 2:51 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Yeah, I was trying to decide whether to stick around or not. I kind of would've liked to hang out a bit, but since I had the wife with me for the day, and we had a couple stops we wanted to make on the way home, I decided to go ahead and get going.

Hopefully I'll be back up in 3 weeks for the Racine tourney, and I should be staying at Bill's place that weekend, so should have time to hang out then. :)

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 2:55 pm 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

The only reason I changed to a more anti lancer build was because of what Jason did to me at Michigan it put a bad taste in my mouth. So I went for a more balanced but odd build with Arica and lyn. 200 meta is all about match ups. I forgot about the Duro that costs 7 with evade and the Tusken scout that has stealth/evade to bring in with lobot. The mini that costs 10 that has speed 8 could be a sweet mini to bring in vs a low act squad.So I can get a deep strike with Arica.

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 4:39 pm 
Hand of the Sith
Hand of the Sith

that sucks but at least everybody is alright.