SWMGAMERS.com Forums
http://swmgamers.com/forums/

Ship Stats verson 0.9 (for Gencon)
http://swmgamers.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=186&t=9518
Page 2 of 2

Author:  Engineer [ Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:54 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Ship Stats verson 0.9 (for Gencon)

LoboStele wrote:
Or people will have to take Eric's advice and actually use some of the smaller stuff. With 4-5 Subs, and trying to keep your own Capital ships at a little longer range, it shouldn't be that tough to take down those big monsters.

Please don't listen to my advice. :emperor:

Author:  The_Celestial_Warrior [ Sun Aug 15, 2010 5:56 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Ship Stats verson 0.9 (for Gencon)

Picked up Home One while vacationing in St. Louis. Is that now a Mon Cal Cruiser and non unique?

Author:  dnemiller [ Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:03 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Ship Stats verson 0.9 (for Gencon)

The_Celestial_Warrior wrote:
Picked up Home One while vacationing in St. Louis. Is that now a Mon Cal Cruiser and non unique?



Yep it is non unique I believe. I dont think any of the dreadnaught class ships are unique but again it is rebel so I could be wrong.

Author:  Engineer [ Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:42 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Ship Stats verson 0.9 (for Gencon)

Non-unique. I think General Grevious's ship is the only unique ship (not fighter).

I have a few more games to play and then push out another set of ship stats. I've not had any comments about the rules outside of "they are much better" and "well done".

Author:  jonnyb815 [ Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:55 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Ship Stats verson 0.9 (for Gencon)

Eric once you feel the stats are up to pair I will make stat cards and a rules book.

Author:  dalsiandon [ Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:08 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Ship Stats verson 0.9 (for Gencon)

Okay. So with a few games under my belt ive decided that fighters are meaningless. I like hyperspace and the launch abilities but it just doesn't seem to be worth points on them. I like the objectives and the hazards. I also think that the big ships need a shields ability to help shrug some damage.

Author:  The_Celestial_Warrior [ Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:34 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Ship Stats verson 0.9 (for Gencon)

You know, just looking through the rules I was wondering about fighters too. Whether they start on the map or in your fighter pool it seems like they are the same cost, so what are the advantages of either? I just need to sit down and play a game to figure this out. I think after my St. Louis acquisitions I have enough to field a Rebel vs Seps game.

Author:  LoboStele [ Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:46 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Ship Stats verson 0.9 (for Gencon)

Well, based on the games at GenCon, the fighters were useless as well. Using their 'main' guns on any of the large ships was completely pointless, as you typically had to roll all 6's in order to get past the vital armor. Perhaps if there was a way to 'combine fire', such that 3-4 fighters all roll their Strafe attack together, and then you use that to count as one full attack against the capital ship. That way at least, Fighters would have a chance of at least doing SOME damage to the capital ships. Otherwise, as Dean pointed out at Gencon, you just sort of run a bunch of big capital ships, and bum-rush the objectives. The Executer and Home One (which, probably need to be restricted to being Uniques, IMO) can kill an opposing ship in a single attack, without even having to roll that great most of the time. So, for instance, in my match-up with Dean, I think BOTH my ISDs were dead in the 2nd round of combat (3rd round of the game). My Cloakshape fighter never even hit one time (rolling only 3 dice, odds are not that great for rolling 6's). Even if it had hit, the Executer has the Missile Defense or whatever, so it wouldn't have done much damage. So, as it stands now, IMO, the giant capital ships are way too powerful, based on how the objectives work. The maps are short enough that even if you keep your own capital ships in the starting area, the Executer's ER5 could still reach you. There's no way the Cloaked Fighters would be able to take it out on their own, even if you ran 3-4 of them, which then severely cuts into your available points for your capital ships. Once you lose your cap ships, the game is over.

I still think it's LOADS more fun than the original, and I definitely had a lot of fun with it, but I think there's still some major balance issues with the capital ships in this regard.

Honestly though, as I said, I think a simple thing like allowing the Fighters to combine all their dice during a Strafe run would make a huge difference. People who play without any of their own Fighters would be at a huge penalty then. It would also give more credence to the Rebel/Republic fighters having Hyperdrive, in that they could get to the capital ships to harass them much earlier in the game.

Author:  The_Celestial_Warrior [ Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:18 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Ship Stats verson 0.9 (for Gencon)

Just noted, I have the Virago as well, which is Prince Xizor's ship. Is there a particular reason the new stats have it in the Separatist faction as opposed to Fringe or Imperial?

Author:  Engineer [ Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:02 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Ship Stats verson 0.9 (for Gencon)

LoboStele wrote:
Honestly though, as I said, I think a simple thing like allowing the Fighters to combine all their dice during a Strafe run would make a huge difference. People who play without any of their own Fighters would be at a huge penalty then. It would also give more credence to the Rebel/Republic fighters having Hyperdrive, in that they could get to the capital ships to harass them much earlier in the game.

That is an interesting idea (fighters combining main gun dice into one attack roll). When Lou and I play our game, I'll give this a shot.

Author:  dalsiandon [ Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:55 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Ship Stats verson 0.9 (for Gencon)

Engineer wrote:
LoboStele wrote:
Honestly though, as I said, I think a simple thing like allowing the Fighters to combine all their dice during a Strafe run would make a huge difference. People who play without any of their own Fighters would be at a huge penalty then. It would also give more credence to the Rebel/Republic fighters having Hyperdrive, in that they could get to the capital ships to harass them much earlier in the game.

That is an interesting idea (fighters combining main gun dice into one attack roll). When Lou and I play our game, I'll give this a shot.


let us know how it works out. I'm very interested in the results.

And again, Eric this is a way better game then the original ever was even with it's few oddities.

Author:  dalsiandon [ Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:55 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Ship Stats verson 0.9 (for Gencon)

Okay so I was mulling over the fighters and I still have a hard time finding a place for them in the game itself as it stands, however I have to say I do like the way the fighters are multi-era, and I like that each era's fighters have a different flavor then their counterparts. The biggest is the Y-Wing, each one is different yet similiar. There is a typo I noticed on the Anakin card, it's in the +1 for vital armor if Obi is nearby.

I also have found that the ARC-170 has a really great Bomb ability, but am curious as to why it has no anti-fighter capabilities, sure we see them get chewed up in the film, yet they have guns both fore and aft for anti-fighters

Author:  Engineer [ Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:19 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Ship Stats verson 0.9 (for Gencon)

dalsiandon wrote:
I also have found that the ARC-170 has a really great Bomb ability, but am curious as to why it has no anti-fighter capabilities, sure we see them get chewed up in the film, yet they have guns both fore and aft for anti-fighters

It's just about the single hardest to obtain unit from the boosters. I did not want it to be too good for the game.

Author:  dalsiandon [ Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:16 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Ship Stats verson 0.9 (for Gencon)

Engineer wrote:
dalsiandon wrote:
I also have found that the ARC-170 has a really great Bomb ability, but am curious as to why it has no anti-fighter capabilities, sure we see them get chewed up in the film, yet they have guns both fore and aft for anti-fighters

It's just about the single hardest to obtain unit from the boosters. I did not want it to be too good for the game.


Ah, good thinking

Author:  dalsiandon [ Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:55 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Ship Stats verson 0.9 (for Gencon)

In lue of your remarks on the ARC 170, any possibility of stating the Venator or the Republic assault ship to the imperials? It seems the lone Imperial Star Destroyer and imperial fleets suffer from the same problem, there are only 3 Imperial capital ships, and 1 is in the starter 1 is as rare, and the other is as hard to get multiples of like a rare.

Heck is it possible even to stat the ISD as a victory class Star-destroyer for the Republic?

I think it works well with the fighters being cross-era/faction, it could help with the capital ships as well for those two factions.

IT was a just thought I had as looking over my fleets and seeing how my Separatist fleet is massive, my rebel fleet is likewise and my Republic and Imperial fleets are just tiny in comparison. I think it's not unreasonable; as mentioned 3 Imperial Capital ships, and 1 is in the starter, (Executer, ISD, Interdictor,) only 2 Republic Capital ships (Venator Star-destroyer and Acclimator Assualt ship) while the rebels have 4 big capital ships (Home One, the Viscount, MC80, Rebel Assualt Frigate) and tons of frigates with the transports, Neb-B, and the assorted Uniques. Separatists are in the same boat only they are lighter on the frigate side but have lots of big capital ships (droid control, battleship, commerce destroyer, Invisible hand, and the banking clan frigate).

It seems that it could help balance a fleet rather rapidly if a player only has a couple imperial and republic ships and bunches of separatists or rebels.

Author:  Engineer [ Sun Aug 22, 2010 3:30 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Ship Stats verson 0.9 (for Gencon)

dalsiandon wrote:
In lue of your remarks on the ARC 170, any possibility of stating the Venator or the Republic assault ship to the imperials? It seems the lone Imperial Star Destroyer and imperial fleets suffer from the same problem, there are only 3 Imperial capital ships, and 1 is in the starter 1 is as rare, and the other is as hard to get multiples of like a rare.

Heck is it possible even to stat the ISD as a victory class Star-destroyer for the Republic?

I think it works well with the fighters being cross-era/faction, it could help with the capital ships as well for those two factions.

IT was a just thought I had as looking over my fleets and seeing how my Separatist fleet is massive, my rebel fleet is likewise and my Republic and Imperial fleets are just tiny in comparison. I think it's not unreasonable; as mentioned 3 Imperial Capital ships, and 1 is in the starter, (Executer, ISD, Interdictor,) only 2 Republic Capital ships (Venator Star-destroyer and Acclimator Assualt ship) while the rebels have 4 big capital ships (Home One, the Viscount, MC80, Rebel Assualt Frigate) and tons of frigates with the transports, Neb-B, and the assorted Uniques. Separatists are in the same boat only they are lighter on the frigate side but have lots of big capital ships (droid control, battleship, commerce destroyer, Invisible hand, and the banking clan frigate).

It seems that it could help balance a fleet rather rapidly if a player only has a couple imperial and republic ships and bunches of separatists or rebels.

These ideas would be great for a set 2!

Stay tuned Bat fans. I still need to finish set 1.

Author:  armoredgear7 [ Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:08 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Ship Stats verson 0.9 (for Gencon)

dalsiandon wrote:
Engineer wrote:
LoboStele wrote:
Honestly though, as I said, I think a simple thing like allowing the Fighters to combine all their dice during a Strafe run would make a huge difference. People who play without any of their own Fighters would be at a huge penalty then. It would also give more credence to the Rebel/Republic fighters having Hyperdrive, in that they could get to the capital ships to harass them much earlier in the game.

That is an interesting idea (fighters combining main gun dice into one attack roll). When Lou and I play our game, I'll give this a shot.


let us know how it works out. I'm very interested in the results.

And again, Eric this is a way better game then the original ever was even with it's few oddities.


The unit-scale combined fire actually exists and works very well in Monsterpocalypse; was just kinda reminded of it here. It's often a tradeoff between hoping to roll well and do 2 points of damage from 2 small combined attacks vs. doing 1 point reliably with a large combined attack.

Author:  kezzamachine [ Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:02 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Ship Stats verson 0.9 (for Gencon)

Armour/Vital Armour/Hull Points for Virago?

Page 2 of 2 All times are UTC - 6 hours
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/