logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Re: DOTF commonalities?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:41 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Nah, we've planned for him to be a Rare still. Thinking in terms of a Sealed game as well, he wouldn't be a VR piece in a normal set.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:41 am 
Big Bad Brad
Big Bad Brad

LoboStele wrote:
Nah, we've planned for him to be a Rare still. Thinking in terms of a Sealed game as well, he wouldn't be a VR piece in a normal set.

So by that same logic, Darth Bandon is going to be a Very Rare? Yet his RM is an UC from a prevalent set.

I suppose though, for the most part it's inconsequential as it only really pertains to Sealed events. My big concern is that, for our sealed event, I will be making "boosters" solely from my collection as it is the largest and most comprehensive. The only place I run into problems with your logic is: My gaming group is large enough to use 2-3 cases worth of boosters. I have 1 Ki-Adi-Mundi as I traded any duplicates long ago and 10 Sith Apprentices. If Ki-Adi-Mundi is Rare and Darth Bandon is VR then I can't accurately mimic distribution. I'd much rather be able to use my 1 VR Ki-Adi-Mundi and 3 of my Sith Apprentices for the R Darth Bandon. Now consider that same logic over 14 VR/16 R.

Granted, I imagine no one in my LGS will even look that closely at it. If I have 3 Darth Bandons distributed and 1 Ki-Adi-Mundi I doubt any one will care or notice. My analness simply wants to follow proper "distribution" so that everything is more fairly balanced....at least in my mind.

That's just me though, no real argument here.

On a side note, I notice there are 2 Huge figures broken so far (Wedge's Snowspeeder and Ani and Padme on Reek). So will this be distributed as "Huge" set, or is size really a factor at all? They will just fill normal VR/R/UC/C slots?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:17 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Not planning to set up the distribution as a Huge set, as there aren't enough Huges total (Wedge/Ani/Yommask revealed so far, and I can't think of any others off the top of my head).

I will re-look at where Ki-Adi is currently at on the lists, and perhaps move him if necessary. But I don't want it to be simply because one person would be supplying all the minis for a Sealed event. Honestly, I would likely end up in a similar situation running an event at my store, depending on which other guys came out to play. Most others in the area have complete, or nearly complete sets, but it would be a matter of getting them to come out and play.

EDIT: Also, PLEASE be patient. I can't reveal the list of R/VRs until the full set is released, which means it won't be hitting until Dec 1st. Things are subject to change between now and then. I have only planned for Ki-Adi to be a R at this time, but you do make a good argument.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:59 pm 
Big Bad Brad
Big Bad Brad

Yeah, not trying to be argumentative, though I fear it comes off that way. Initially I had assumed that rarity would have been determined more definitively by the Design Team. I know a lot of us that have complete collections tend to brush it off as unneccessary and inconsequential outside of Sealed Events. Yet, I am seeing a lot of newer players interested in the V-sets that likely don't have much before A&E, and a lot of those sets are hard to come by or expensive to by C/UC's for. I expect a lot of people are going to try to use the RM for things as well, so I was just thinking that availability might need to play a role in Rarity determination. I may be wrong, but in the absence of clear guidance until last week that's what I had been factoring in and now am simply finding it difficult to reverse what I had determined to be clear logic.

I'm an all or nothing kind of guy when it comes to support or loyalty. So I either support the V-set 100% (which, duh, I do) or I don't. Which means accepting your rarity distribution. I'm just going through some cognitive dissonance is all, so don't mind me too much ;)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:13 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Yep, I understand your reasoning, and I'll take another look at it, based on that suggestion. Initially, had mostly looked at it in terms of what will work best for Sealed events. But I'll try to take the RM rarity into account as well. Originally, I think I just said "Oh, well, Ki-Adi was a R before, so he's still a R." But you are right, as he's from Clone Strike, he's slightly tougher to get.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:47 am 
Big Bad Brad
Big Bad Brad

One flaw in my reasoning: Series II Destroyer Droid

I can only assume that it has to be the Old Destroyer droids (one or both?). Bill said earlier that there will be no non-unique rares as it really doesn't make any sense in a sealed, which I agree. Luckily I have 5-6, depending on which one (or both) you inted on using. So I can work with it as an UC.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:31 pm 
Name Calling Internet Bully
Name Calling Internet Bully

The_Celestial_Warrior wrote:
I can only assume that it has to be the Old Destroyer droids (one or both?). Bill said earlier that there will be no non-unique rares as it really doesn't make any sense in a sealed, which I agree. Luckily I have 5-6, depending on which one (or both) you inted on using. So I can work with it as an UC.

One flaw with my earlier statement - the Yammask is a NU-Rare. It helped work out the numbers properly, and also there is a little difference with him that we haven't seen before, in that he's not unique, but you can only play one per map :) That's a small preview of sorts since I don't think we've revealed that, but it makes sense if you think about it. The Vong had more than one of these brains, but there was only ever one on a given battle - so in the skirmish, it would play like a unique, except no BH bonuses and so on, but in mass battle, you could indeed place one per map, that would only apply to that map for bonuses.

There is a further point that if the Yam was a UC, every squad would potencially run one for Sealed, not that this was a huge consideration, but it's there as well :)

http://www.bloomilk.com/Squads/Search.aspx?UserID=29