logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Re: New map terrain type: Obscurement
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 12:32 am 
General
General

I agree use the brown lines or another solid color like purple and use the roll 2 dice and take lower number.

Khanbob42You, sir, are amazing :D

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 3:14 am 
General
General

Draconarius wrote:
Wedge772 wrote:
What's wrong with using the brown Concealment lines from the Endor map, and using the same rules as already laid out for that? I always thought that was an interesting rule that should have been brought back on new maps.

Interesting, yes. Works, not quite. The guys inside Concealment get a HUGE advantage from the opponents having to roll twice and taking the lower result. I haven't tried it working both ways, though.

If I remember right, it did go both ways. It'd be a great boost for melee squads or direct damage ranged squads. If you're running a shooter squad without Accurate Shot, you probably need to consider what to do against a Mouse Droid sitting in Concealment.

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 9:25 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Yeah, that's the only real concern I would have with something like this. Mouse Droids are already an absolute pain in the rear to kill half the time. Do we really want Mouse Droids in a GGDAC squad 32 defense? The best shooters in the game would need to roll 20's to kill them. Same thing with Vader IC boosted Stormtroopers or GOWK-boosted Jedi. Sure, giving Melee pieces a little bit more of a boost is always nice, but I almost feel like this might be too much.

In order for it to really work well, I would suggest either: a) the bonus is reduced to +2 instead of +4, or b) Pieces with Accurate/Sniper ignore concealment/obscurement (right now, only the Lightsaber Throw 3/5 abilities actually 'ignore' cover, so using that as a basis really doesn't make much difference).

I guess to some degree it would also depend on what the maps look like. I'm imagining the Cloud City carbon freezing chamber, which would be cool for something like this, but would likely be littered with concealment/obscurement squares, thus effectively giving every piece on the board a higher defense. In that case, why not just errata all the pieces to have higher defenses? So, I can see it being an interesting addition to maps, but I'm not sure it makes THAT much difference. I guess if it's used in a fairly limited way, then it won't be too bad.

And it would certainly slow games down as well. It might not make much time difference in terms of finding LOS or determining what the total defense bonus a piece gets. But with another +4 bonus, you're effectively causing attacks to miss 20% more often than they do right now, which will inevitably slow things down.

It's all sort of difficult to comprehend fully without an actual example to look at. Like I said, if the concealment/obscurement is used sparingly, then it's probably not a big deal. Would just need to be considered in terms of map design and balancing I guess.

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 4:43 pm 
General
General

The mixed reaction prompted me to just stick with standard terrain indicators for this map, but here's an example of one piece that prompted this conversation.

I was also going to have a holographic kiosk column (no physical structure, just a big holographic column of signs and advertisements) in this map, but I decided to leave that one out.

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 10:31 pm 
Mandalore
Mandalore

Location: Aboard the Exocarrier Resalute, waiting to free all SWMer's from Tyrnany
I like the idea. I think it could be something real simple, any one in space with obscurement gains stealth or something very similiar. Not gain's stealth straight up or nom bombs will get sick really fast. Maybe defined something like this character is treated as if it has stealth while in a square with obscurement, but this character is not subject to CE's or SA's that benefit or hinder stealth. Example Nom Anors CE or the "It's A Trap" SA have no effect.

Or perhaps anyone in obscurment gains Cloaked. This would be a far simpler way to go becasue you don't have to clarify anything, however I think it could be a bit more obusive considering that any character can just shoot out of it until someone is in melee, and that could be too late.

However I do think the brown line is the way to go. I have 2 Reasons. 1) It's already on one Map, and so we are familiar with the color on pre-existing material, and 2) The Endor Bunker could really benefit from this ability, allow for some new life to breath, perhaps even the playing field for sides

Member of the SWMRAC
Member of the Completed till the End and Beyond Club

Come rate my squads on Bloomilk...http://www.bloomilk.com/Squads/Search.a ... dalsiandon