logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Cardstock models, the future of Huge Vitual Sets
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:52 pm 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

I've been on this soapbox for a while. More Cardstock models, for large, huge, and even colassal.

I'd like to see stuff like this

http://www.ghostofman.com

The great thing about Cardstock models is that we don't need to modify pre existing minis. You just need asome good graphics guys to design the models, and people to make the stats.

I'd like to make a few of these in the future:

Colossal Sandcrawler
Colossal Republic/Rebel Juggernaut
Huge Tanks
Different AT walkers

I'd like to see people make stas for existing ghot of man models.

"Micro-managment Breeds Incompetence"

Being a Star Wars Miniatures Hall of Famer is a Responsibilty Not a Priveledge.

Post subject: Re: Cardstock models, the future of Huge Vitual Sets
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:55 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

That's really cool! I'm surprised I'd never seen that website before. Very cool idea. Worth looking into, for sure.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:21 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

That's a lot of pretty models.

I don't personally want to see any officially sanctioned customizing to be required to use one of the cards that will be released, be it repaint, cut and glue, or even your idea; while it's cool, I don't think we should add extra prerequisites to be able to play with the coming sets. Not trying to start a debate, I just don't think doing anything other than alternate cards for existing minis is a good idea.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:13 pm 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

Jedicartographer wrote:
The great thing about Cardstock models is that we don't need to modify pre existing minis. You just need asome good graphics guys to design the models, and people to make the stats.

I think cardstock models should be made available for all virtual set characters.
Then people could choose to use; a proxy, a Modded fig or a cardstock model.
[*]At some point players will want new characters that don't have obvious proxies.
[*]Some individuals lack the skill level or interest to mod or repaint miniatures.
[*]40 or 60 characters could be a lot of figures for a new player to come up with.

Here's an example I just quickly threw together to give the idea.
Such Cardstock figs could be hand drawn artworks or actual pics of the modded figs.
They could be cut - Folded and attached to a base.
I know it's probably too soon for such a suggestion to be accepted.

General Saesee Tiin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:52 am 
General
General

I had this very idea the other day as well, forgot to post the idea here. Good to see someone else has the same idea :)

Those card models look fantastic, but I was thinking only of 2D card models (like DarkDracul posted). 2D models don't look as good as the 3D models obviously, but they do solve one major issue for huges: transporting them to the LGS every week! I have trouble enough bringing the regular minis, the only Huges that find room in my big toolbox are Luke's SS and the Golan. Imagine if we had 2D versions of all the existing huges in the game... they'd probably see alot more playtime, simply because they're being brought to the LGS.

Additionally... well, I kinda doubt my skill at being able to assemble one of those 3D models...

2D models of medium sized minis would probably be some time away, but I agree that it makes perfect sense as a way to continue to expand the game.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:53 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

I'm a fan of the two dimension card stock models myself. It is a nice way to clearly distinguish the piece from an existing model. It's a cheap and easy way to support the new sets. And it's easy enough that just about anyone can print out their own sets, if we have a standardized set of models for each new set.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:49 pm 
Unnamed Wookiee
Unnamed Wookiee

for sure like the idea, but i like the idea of a 2D "fig" better, simply because i think it would catch on a lot easier than the 3D models would. while they are impressive, things like
Wedge772 wrote:
Additionally... well, I kinda doubt my skill at being able to assemble one of those 3D models...
may limit game play further and i also see a challenge with transporting 3D paper models... (may be showing my ignorance but they are essentially card-stock cut out and put together, right?)

<(^^)> (>^^)> <(^^<) ^(^^)^
dance, kirby, dance.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:14 pm 
Customizer Extrodinaire
Customizer Extrodinaire

DarkFather wrote:
for sure like the idea, but i like the idea of a 2D "fig" better, simply because i think it would catch on a lot easier than the 3D models would. while they are impressive, things like
Wedge772 wrote:
may limit game play further and i also see a challenge with transporting 3D paper models... (may be showing my ignorance but they are essentially card-stock cut out and put together, right?)

Well, when we start to get to stuff like this, it really reminds me of 40k. Some of the pieces don't have official models that are readily available. Players that want to field them need to invest some time if they want to play it, just sit down and build it. Cardstock models aren't that tough to put together. If someone wants to run a team with them, just put some time into it and get it done. Plus, they look a ton cooler than 2d pieces running around.

"Genius is 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration."
-Thomas Edison