logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: The Bigger Picture: Set Features
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:26 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

I'm glad to see all of the threads for suggestions about CEs/SAs/Force Powers, and for votes on which characters people would like to see. However, what about the bigger picture... what overall features does the community want to see in a set?

Should sets be 40/60 pieces? Larger since there's no limit on production with a V-set? Smaller releases since there's no need for filler pieces? More frequent releases than WotC? Less frequent?

Should sets be focused on a particular eras like the WotC sets?

Without naming specific pieces/CEs/SAs/Force Powers, what should the effect of the new sets be on the gameplay/meta?

Whatever else you think is worth sharing, including opinions on what other people say...

Post subject: Re: The Bigger Picture: Set Features
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:51 pm 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

Location: Yes, I am yet another Canadian. Keeping the game alive on life support in the GTA.
I'm pretty sure they will be returning to sets of 60 to better accommodate all 10 factions.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:01 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

My thoughts...

* Strengthen the weaker factions so there's a meta where all factions have a tier 1 option. (Although probably not in one V-set.)

* Many more playable options for low cost pieces (cost 1-5). Especially options for commander effect propagation, door control, and activation control.

* A decent "hate" option to slow down gallop/strafe attacks. Make swarms playable - maybe not tier 1, but playable.

* An ewok swarm should beat a trooper swarm, at least if there are some commandos thrown in. It's in the movies.

* I'd vote for smaller sets so that the meta is not changed too drastically too quickly. Since the pieces are more likely to impact gameplay, lots of pieces would likely have a big impact. (After all, there's not much need for 'filler' pieces in the V-Sets.)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:25 pm 
General
General

I would like to see sets in 60 piece format

Of those 60 pieces I would like to see them done with about an 80% or more unique to 20% or less non-unique ratio to allow for better use of old minis to make customs without draining the fixed supply. Especially if we can use one common piece to make a unique piece this could last along time.

If old pieces are redone I would rather see page or 2 that list the recost / errata number versus making a new card or restating them.

I would rather see all factions get something but at this point anything EU is a must in any faction. I rather not see rehashes with same or new abilities and stats of vader, anakin , han, luke etc.

Affects out there should balance out minor factions to activation control and disruptive.
Every thing else should try to keep the factions having there own style, but thats going to be hard since WotC started putting some of those styles in multiple factions.

I would like to see and addition to the rules that allows for doors to be destroyed from guns or lightsabers. They don't have to be one hit destructions but maybe give the doors HPs and Def based on the size of the door.

Just a few of my thought s out there.

Khanbob42You, sir, are amazing :D

Last edited by Gurneywars on Sat Apr 10, 2010 2:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:42 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Gurneywars wrote:

Of those 60 pieces I would like to see them done with about an 80% or more unique to 20% or less non-unique ratio to allow for better use of old minis to make customs without draining the fixed supply. Especially if we can use one common piece to make a unique piece this could last along time.

Just to head off these ideas right from the start....I would definitely not expect that sort of ratio. It might end up being higher than the WOTC 60 piece sets, but I think overall, the design team has discussed trying to stay somewhat true to WOTC's system, mostly for the sake of being able to do Sealed Events.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:54 am 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

LoboStele wrote:
Gurneywars wrote:

Just to head off these ideas right from the start....I would definitely not expect that sort of ratio. It might end up being higher than the WOTC 60 piece sets, but I think overall, the design team has discussed trying to stay somewhat true to WOTC's system, mostly for the sake of being able to do Sealed Events.

Also to avoid flooding the game with new uniques. The longer we can eek out the game the better.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:36 am 
General
General

LoboStele wrote:
Gurneywars wrote:

I remember discussing this before on another thread (especially regarding assigned rarity and how it it will largely only impact sealed events).

One issue I didn't think of back then:

- if a unique figure uses a C/U non-unique figure as a base, will that figure be considered C/U? For the purposes of sealed events it still would be
- if a non-unique figure uses a unique figure as a base, will that figure be considered R/VR? Again, for the purposes of sealed events it would be

We could end up unique/non-unique ratios looking very different to what we're used to with WotC sets. 80% uniques is probably too high, but a higher ratio than WotC sets shouldn't be taboo. We'll end up having uniques in C/U slots whether we like it or not.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 2:24 am 
General
General

LoboStele wrote:
Gurneywars wrote:

There is no reason you couldn't still do sealed events. You would just use the axis and allies or dreamblade booster styles.

As far as ideas the OP asked what we were looking for and I put it out there. :?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 2:27 am 
General
General

wannabemexican wrote:
LoboStele wrote:
Gurneywars wrote:

Also to avoid flooding the game with new uniques. The longer we can eek out the game the better.

But if to many non-uniques are made then I'll run out of minis to custom to the new cards sooner. I assume this may be the case with a lot of players. So the eeking will run out sooner.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:10 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Gurneywars wrote:
wannabemexican wrote:
LoboStele wrote:
Gurneywars wrote:

But if to many non-uniques are made then I'll run out of minis to custom to the new cards sooner. I assume this may be the case with a lot of players. So the eeking will run out sooner.

Part of the plan behind the Vsets will be to create pieces that you don't HAVE to customize in order to play with. So, if you choose to make customs for all your Vset pieces, then it will be your own responsibility to deal with the possibility of running out of pieces. Not everyone will be customizing them.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 4:17 pm 
Mandalore
Mandalore

Location: Aboard the Exocarrier Resalute, waiting to free all SWMer's from Tyrnany
I'd like the sets to be smaller and allow for more frequency but that will also allow for more focused testing, and I'd also like to start with the first 4 sets RS, CS, ROTS, and UNI before we move onto the second arch in the game with COTF pieces.
And it is nice to see the goal is to avoid customizing as some are not good at it, and others would perfer to leave the minis intact asm uch as possible at this point.

Member of the SWMRAC
Member of the Completed till the End and Beyond Club

Come rate my squads on Bloomilk...http://www.bloomilk.com/Squads/Search.a ... dalsiandon

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 5:14 pm 
Moff Disra
Moff Disra

Should I even make comments? (or just listen)

I'm not a custom piece maker.
I like UC commanders and unique followers.
I am also a fan of swarms.
I like faction specific SA and CE's.
The R series astromech has already provided great access to fringe door control.
Why would a V set not have every faction?
Expect unique Vong (did I say that?)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:05 pm 
General
General

Quote:
I'd also like to start with the first 4 sets RS, CS, ROTS, and UNI before we move onto the second arch in the game with COTF pieces.

Do you mean cards with new names that could use those pieces or an overhaul of all or most them?

Like I said I'm not big into the notion of just overhauling or redoing the sets(mainly cause like D&D I'm not going to print 4000+ cards to get myself in ok shape for legal tournaments). I'm really cool with a couple page errata on costs and keeping same stats.(which requires only 2 pages or so of print which is highly doable vs all the cards.)

The rest of what your saying Don I'm on board with especially less customizing the better and I can handle and you have a really good point on smaller sets to allow for better testing, but the above has me somewhat confused.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:26 pm 
Mandalore
Mandalore

We need Watto.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:40 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

We are NOT redoing old pieces. You will not see a Vset card that is just simply 'Han Solo' and is meant to replace the one from Rebel Storm. What we intend to do is NEW 'pieces', i.e. "Han Solo, Pilot", where the stat card would be completely new, but where the 'recommended mini' to use with it would be the Han Solo from RS, and the stats may not be all that different. In a way, it will be 'fixing' old, unplayable pieces, but we have never intended to 'fix' or 'replace' the work that WOTC has done. That's not what our purpose is.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:47 pm 
General
General

Thank you Lobo for the clarification. :D

I was getting worried there.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:22 pm 
Mandalore
Mandalore

Location: Aboard the Exocarrier Resalute, waiting to free all SWMer's from Tyrnany
LoboStele wrote:
We are NOT redoing old pieces. You will not see a Vset card that is just simply 'Han Solo' and is meant to replace the one from Rebel Storm. What we intend to do is NEW 'pieces', i.e. "Han Solo, Pilot", where the stat card would be completely new, but where the 'recommended mini' to use with it would be the Han Solo from RS, and the stats may not be all that different. In a way, it will be 'fixing' old, unplayable pieces, but we have never intended to 'fix' or 'replace' the work that WOTC has done. That's not what our purpose is.

This is agreable to me. I would recommend that the first v-sets use models from the earlier sets first, before moving onto new stuff.

Member of the SWMRAC
Member of the Completed till the End and Beyond Club

Come rate my squads on Bloomilk...http://www.bloomilk.com/Squads/Search.a ... dalsiandon

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:57 am 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Again, they seem to be taking a lot from the SWCCG model. They have only recently been getting into renaming cards, so for the first 4 years, a new card would be "Darth Vader (V)", essentially. Different from the old card, but you could use the old one if you so wanted to. It is a good model. Especially since they seem to be able to rename pieces out the gate here.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:20 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

OK my thoughts are as such.

More unique for Mando's and Vong please.

If all factions are going to be in one set then i think 60 characters is best with 3 sets a year assuming you guys have time to do that many other wise whatever you feel you can put out in any given year..

If you are doing eras instead then 30 characters with something like Old Republic, Sith, Mando's as one set with 10 characters each. I would like to see Unique as well as things like a Old Republic Pilot and a Mando Medic as examples. with 3 or 4 sets a year.

The other eras should be two faction Plus fringe. So another set might be Rebel, Empire and fringe as an example. If you do this then 5 sets should cover all the factions over two years. If you can put out a 6th set then how about a scenario set as the 6th. This set could focus on a certain set of books, comics or game. An example could be Rogue Squadron. A set of 12 unique Rogue pilots or all the main jedi/sith from tails of the jedi or all the playable characters and villains from KOTOR video game.

Anyway whatever you do i look forward to seeing them. Got any idea when you hope to get the first set out.