logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Practicality of new factions/sub factions
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:42 pm 
Intelligence Operative
Intelligence Operative

Just a shot in the dark but what are everyone's thoughts on creating a new faction? Or if not then a sub faction (ala black sun, order 66, jabba)?

Personally I would love to see one but I can't logistically see a whole new faction being able to stand it's own this late in the game. While the Hapans and Dathamori are natural choices there are few minis one could use for RMs. Still it is cool to theoroize about what these factions would be and what they would look like. Here are some of my jumbled thoughts:

Hapan/Dathamori/Fringe

If not creating whole new Factions, then create a new Special Ability "Hapan/Dathamori" (can only be on a team with fringe characters and characters with Dathamori/Hapan)

Hapan faction:
or else Hapan(this character can only be in a squad that contains hapan or fringe characters)

General feel of the faction:
Shields 1 for everyone
Boosts for pirates
Very cheap swarm like
Only single attacks
Xenophobia?
Faction hunter?

Ta'a Chume
25, hp 60, def 15, ATk 0, dmg 0
Doctrine of fear, gun of control (replaces attacks; one target living enemy in line of sight joins your squad for the remainder of the round, save 11), advanced shields 1, Xenophobia (+4 attack and +10 damage against non Hapan living enemies)
CE
At the end of this characters turn, one Hapan follower may take an immediate turn that does not count as one of your activations, at the end of that turn that character takes 10 damage
Non unique followers gain Xenophobia (+4 attack and +10 damage against non Hapan living enemies)

Prince Isoldor
20, hp 70, def 18, atk 13, dmg 10
SA: Unique, evade, dodge (when this character makes a successful evade save it may immediately move 2 squares), hapan reinforcements on a roll of 10, gun of control, advanced shields 1

CE Unique Hapan allies gain evade

Allied Hapans in your squad gain dodge

Teneniel Djo
28, hp 100, def 20, atk 14, dmg 20
SA: unique, affinity for nightsisters, synergy for Isolder, double attack, ambush, advanced shields 1
Force 4
Force Whirlwind
CE
Hapan Followers gain +4 attack and +4 defense

Tenal ka
35, hp 110, def 21, atk 15, dmg 20
SA: unique, affinity for bringing Jacen in, 
Synergy Jacen, melee attack, double attack, advanced shields 1
Force 1, force renewal 1
Lightsaber defense
Force Sense
Lightsaber Assualt
CE 
At the end of this characters turn she may exchange positions with another Hapan ally within 6 squares

Hapan Woman
13, hp 50, def 17, ATk 9, dmg 30
SA
Shields 1, cqc fighting, evade

Hapan Pilot
4, hp 10, def 13, atk 4, dmg 10
SA
Pilot, shields 1

Hapan soldier
6, hp 30, def 16, Atk 7, dmg 20
SA
Shields 1, melee attack, mighty swing, parry

Hapan Pirate
18, hp 60, def 19, atk 12, dmg 20
Shields 1, Cunning Attack, snap shot (once per round, when this character defeats an enemy he may make one immediate attack at -4 attack), evade

Hapan Gunslinger
10, hp 20, def 15, atk 8, dmg 10
SA
Ion Gun +20, Jolt, splash 10

Dathomirian faction

Faction Flavor:
Boosts for savage like CEs, SAs and rapport
Stable footed
Pure destructive force powers instead of conventional attacks
Squad force renewal
Force combine powers 
Force net to damage vong

Gethzerion
50, hp 130, def 21, ATk 13, dmg 20
SA
Unique
Nightsister
melee attack
Coven/Squad force renewal (this character gains force renewal 2 while within 6 squares of 3 other Nightsisters)
Stable Footed
Force Net (force 2; this power does affect characters with force immunity, replaces attacks, sight, 20 damage to one enemy and each adjacent character)

Kyrisa
SA
Nightsister
Unique
Coven (this character gains force renewal 2 while within 6 squares of 3 other Nightsisters)
Stable Footed
Rapport Savage characters cost 5 less when in the same squad as this character
CE
Savage characters are subject to this effect
Allied characters with savage gain bloodthirsty and twin attack

Mother Talzin (RM nightsister sith witch)
30, hp 80, def 19, ATk 0, dmg 0
SA
Unique
Nightsister
Coven (this character gains force renewal 2 while within 6 squares of 3 other Nightsisters)
Stable Footed
Force 5
Force Net (force 2; this power does affect characters with force immunity, replaces attacks, sight, 20 damage to one enemy and each adjacent character)
Force Dominate
Force Conceal (force 4; replaces turn, adjacent Dathomiri character with a force rating gains invisibility for the rest of the skirmish)
CE
Nightsisters in your squad gain Coven 

Savage Opress (RM Darth maul, COTF)
57, HP 200, def 18, ATk 14, dmg 30
SA
Unique
Affinity Separatists
Charging Assualt
twin attack
savage
cleave
dark armor
Indiscriminate
Force 4
Sith rage 2
Lightsaber riposte
Overwhelming force

Asajj Ventress, Nightsister (RM Asajj Ventress)
33, hp 110, def 20, Atk 13, dmg 20
SA
Unique
Nightsister
ninman style
melee attack
twin attack
Force 4
Master of the Force 2
Force Leap
Master Speed
Lightsaber Defense

Nightsister
25, hp 80, def 17, atk 7, dmg 20
SA
Nightsister 
Melee attack
Stable Footed
Stealth
Force 4
Force Lightning 1 20 damage range 6
Force Bubble 1

Witch
10, hp 30, def 15, ATk 5, dmg 10
SA
Nightsister
Melee attack
Force 3
Force bubble
Force lightning 1

Slave 
4, hp 10, def 11, ATk 7, dmg 10
SA 
Cattle (this character can be targeted by allied characters. An adjacent Nightsister can spend one force point to defeat this character and gain 40 hit points)

Daysister 
10, hp 30, def 15, ATk 5, dmg 10
SA
Affinity New Republic/Hapan
Melee attack
Evade
Sure footed
Force 3
Force bubble
Force push 1

Nightsister Beast Tender
20, hp 50, def 17, ATk 5, dmg 10
Nightsister
Empathy
melee attack
Sure-footed
Rapport 1 for savage characters 
force 3
Force Bubble
Force lightning 1
Force empathy (force 1; savage lost for the round across the board)
Force Enrage (force 1; replaces turn; allied characters with savage deal an additional +20 damage until the end of this characters next turn)
CE
Savage characters are subject to this effect
Allied characters with savage gain dark armor and sure-footed

And lastly a fun idea early in the works, also there is enough odd looking creatures to possibly make this faction work:

Killik (RM verpine tech)
Cost 10, hp 70, def 15, atk 6, dmg 20
SA
Independent (can only be on a team with fringe characters)
Melee attack
Swarm +5 for Killik 
Charging Assualt 
Wall climber
Speed 10
Poison +20

Lomi Plo
Welk
Raynar Thul
Ambrosia dealer
Joiner

Post subject: Re: Practicality of new factions/sub factions
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:01 pm 
Jedi Battlemaster
Jedi Battlemaster

I think that as a design principle we will avoid adding any new factions.

However, I think sub-factions are cool and I know that R&R added a few more pirate(s?) to the mix, as well as the first Zann Consortium figure (who knows what that might lead to??)

Hapans coould be added, but that decision would be up to future designers. Right now, I'm more inclined to work at fleshing out the current sub-factions, rather than working in new ones.

Good ideas!

Join the FOLLY! Online casual League, find out more here: FOLLY

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:47 pm 
Intelligence Operative
Intelligence Operative

Ruhk wrote:
I think that as a design principle we will avoid adding any new factions.

However, I think sub-factions are cool and I know that R&R added a few more pirate(s?) to the mix, as well as the first Zann Consortium figure (who knows what that might lead to??)

Hapans coould be added, but that decision would be up to future designers. Right now, I'm more inclined to work at fleshing out the current sub-factions, rather than working in new ones.

Good ideas!

Thanks

It's good to hear the sub factions are getting fleshed out. Also the Zann Consortiam piece has me pumped for the potential of Tyber himself showing up along with the rest of his crew.

I think the trick with the Hapans, Dathamori, Chiss, Killik, and even Sri-Ruu are that they don't play well with others haha. Still one can hope for these factions making an appearance in one form or another.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:27 pm 
Unnamed Wookiee
Unnamed Wookiee

I agree with the Hapan and Dathomir factions. I suspect for those to work we would need a dedicated booster called, "Courtship" to fill the ranks but I would love it.

I would also love to see the following factions as well:
- Corporate Sector Authority
- Huttese faction
- Duskhan League (this too might need a dedicated booster called "Black Fleet Crisis")
- Ssi-ruu
- Almanian Uprising

I would also like to see some sanity with the Imperial faction.

Clearly there are many diverse figures that served in the Empire but their lives and/or careers did not overlap thus I would love to see the faction broken into three smaller factions based by era as follows:

- Palpatine's Empire (mirrors Rebellion Era)
- Thrawn's Empire (mirrors New Republic)
- Fel's Empire (Legacy Era)

By breaking up the empire by era, you wont see the likes of: Mas Amedda, Thrawn, Arica/Mara, or Moff Nyna Calixte in the same squad because they did not live and/or serve in the Empire at the same time periods. I know this is not going to happen but it makes me nuts seeing Imperials standing next to other Imperials that are either long dead or not even born yet.

That's my two cents, take it or leave it. :D

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:41 am 
Unnamed Wookiee
Unnamed Wookiee

I like the idea of these sub factions as well, I only take issue with one thing though and that is Asajj Ventress being with Dathomir. I know why you put her there (because of that new show that says she is a nightsister) but before that she was considered Rattataki...but then this will turn into a canon argument and I don't want that...sooo I guess I'll drop it :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:59 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Strahlung wrote:
I like the idea of these sub factions as well, I only take issue with one thing though and that is Asajj Ventress being with Dathomir. I know why you put her there (because of that new show that says she is a nightsister) but before that she was considered Rattataki...but then this will turn into a canon argument and I don't want that...sooo I guess I'll drop it :roll:

The show was pretty good with her back story, keeping it relatively intact.

Sub factions/themes can be worked in fairly easily, you just won't see a whole set devoted to them.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:09 am 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I am strongly against introducing new factions. More subfactions would be great though! I'm a sucker for themed squads, so the more the merrier.
The introduction of the Zann Consortium, the Nightsisters, Jedi Covenant, the rebel SpecForce etc was very cool, but i see plenty of room for many more. And new additions to the existing ones as well.

An old one i'd like to see get a boost is Jabba (or just a 'Hutt Cartel' subfaction). He was a powerful crime boss on par with Zann and Xizor, so i think he deserves some help.

My trade thread: http://swmgamers.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=8437

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:09 am 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

FVBonura wrote:
I would also like to see some sanity with the Imperial faction.

Clearly there are many diverse figures that served in the Empire but their lives and/or careers did not overlap thus I would love to see the faction broken into three smaller factions based by era as follows:

- Palpatine's Empire (mirrors Rebellion Era)
- Thrawn's Empire (mirrors New Republic)
- Fel's Empire (Legacy Era)

By breaking up the empire by era, you wont see the likes of: Mas Amedda, Thrawn, Arica/Mara, or Moff Nyna Calixte in the same squad because they did not live and/or serve in the Empire at the same time periods. I know this is not going to happen but it makes me nuts seeing Imperials standing next to other Imperials that are either long dead or not even born yet.

I'm 100% with you on this, it's really screwed that you can play characters from such different eras together. But it's pretty much too late for any changes to that now i think.

The same goes for the Sith, but that one would have to be divided up into even more era-specific subfactions:

-Old Sith Empire (5000BBY - Naga Sadow, Marka Ragnos)

-Sith Empire (Old Sith Wars 4000-3951BBY)
-Exar Kun's Sith Empire (Exar Kun, Ulic Qel-Droma)
-Revan's Sith Empire (Revan, Malak)
-The Sith Triumvirate (Traya, Nihilus, Sion)

-Sith Empire (TOR era 3681-3653BBY - with the introduction of Belth Allusis, i suspect we'll see some Sith from this era in the near future)

-Brotherhood of Darkness/early Order of the Sith Lords (the end of the New Sith Wars 1000BBY - Bane, Kaan, Zannah etc)

-The Phantom Menace (Sidious and Maul)

-Lumiya's Sith (40ABY - Lumiya and Caedus)

-One Sith (Legacy Era 130ABY - Krayt, Talon etc)

Bonkers!!

My trade thread: http://swmgamers.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=8437

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:37 pm 
Intelligence Operative
Intelligence Operative

Well the way I see it now is you have all these factions that as time specific, even the Imperials to a degree. But the Sith is the All-Star team of evil, ha ha. Just a collection of villiand from a few thousand years of star wars history.

I'm hoping if we get some more comics on the dawn of the Jedi series then that would be cool to create two new factions of the Rakatan and super old Jedi.

Either way I think even one additional faction such as the Hapans, Chiss, Dathomiri or Killik would be a cool if not also incredibly hard addition to the game.

Maybe one day, many VSets from now that will become a reality.

But for now, Abeloth!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:39 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

There is no way to be able to add a new faction this late into the game. Even if we dedicate half a Vset to the new faction odds are at best have to use a large amount of fringe to "crutch" the faction or worse give it a figure along the lines of Bastilla that makes it competitive on its own.

[===0=]=============>

Sentinel for Life!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:43 pm 
Intelligence Operative
Intelligence Operative

audrisampson wrote:
There is no way to be able to add a new faction this late into the game. Even if we dedicate half a Vset to the new faction odds are at best have to use a large amount of fringe to "crutch" the faction or worse give it a figure along the lines of Bastilla that makes it competitive on its own.

I agree it would be very difficult especially to balance a new faction and make sure they are balanced yet unique. But still, it's not impossible. And I'll still hold out hope for something one day. And fringe dependent off the bat is fine, remember when the Vong were 4 pieces? Also many factions even today only have around half a set of pieces:
Vong 34
Mando 41
Old Republic, Sith and New Republic aren't much better.
It's not a numbers problem, it's a balance/flavor/design one. That's why I think it would be really cool to pull off one day. And it would be a nice new twist on the game with a force heavy nightsisters/Rakkatan/Jedi, or shield/single shot Hapans, backlashing Xenophobic Chiss.
I think it would be awesome but I understand why it is not done nor may not ever be done. I'll still hold out hope for a new faction one day though, maybe even new era if this dawn of the Jedi takes off. After all, new ideas keep the game alive and interesting.