logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: new game dynamic
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:20 pm 
Unnamed Stormtrooper
Unnamed Stormtrooper

hey guy's! this is actually darth babylon. I posted this in the past, but I think it got lost in the sauce. if it didnt sorry for over posting it. I just wanted some feedback on it, so thought it woulnd't hurt to make a separate thread. first off, i would to say the dotf v set is awesome. it finally brings good balance to the game between the weaker factions. its always what I was hoping for in the past, but wizards could't seem to do it.

I mainly would like to here opinions on this idea.
I proposed in the past that if a character had the lightsabor deflect sa printed on the card. you would take no damge with a save of 11 or higher, witch is the normal ability. what would change is the character the have deflect printed on the card could reflect it back with a save 18 or higher. kind of like the cortosis gauntlet abilty.

I wasnt set on the exact number on the save. it could be 16, 17 or 18. it could also cost an extra force point. it could also apply to only lightside characters and you could implement a similar ability to dark side with a little different flair.

the reason I say this, in the starwars universe this ability is used so much on so many characters, but in the game its on a select few. maybe its a game balance issue? who knows?

now most people would say it will break certain figs that have deflect, but if its a save of 18 thats pretty hard to roll. also some would say that the figs that already have the reflect ability would lose out. but they would get it at a much easier save value.

I think it doesnt have to be the damage output of the attacker either. I my self would love it to be total damage output, but just 10 damage would be fine too.

I think this would bring remarkable balance and fun to the game. it seems that melee would get a nice bumb in effectiveness.

I play tested it a few times in the past and it made the game move a little faster. but im not the best player, so it would be great if some of the top notch players and designers try it out. the extra force point to use this option in my opinion definitely make the most sense.

example. shooter x makes an attack on jollie bindo. the attack hits. jolie chooses to deflect it for 1 force point he needs an 11 or higher to deflect. jolie rolls a 18, now he can choose to spend one more force point to deflect it back. for x amount of damage. or he can just choose to deflect it instead. now I havnt thought about the shooter x having evade should come into play here, I think once its deflected back your hit.

Im just throwing this out there. I just want some feedback on it. if you guys think its too much, thats cool, I just thought it would be cool.

p.s dont mind my grammar and spelling. I hope I explained it correctly. rock on folks.

Post subject: Re: new game dynamic
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:27 pm 
Really Cool Alien from a Cantina

A simple mod to this is the reflect only happens on a roll of a 20 on the deflect. Could also be used as a riposte on a block.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:42 pm 
Unnamed Stormtrooper
Unnamed Stormtrooper

riposte on dark side factions and reflect on lightside factions is an awesome idea. I was thinking more 18 or higher, but 20 isnt a bad idea either. as long as the light fig has deflect and the dark side fig has block.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:07 am 
Intelligence Operative
Intelligence Operative

Well I do agree with the thought behind your idea. It was what Obi wan started Luke on, seems to be a pretty basic technique. However in the context of the game it doesn't make sense to have an unwritten rule change for all of a certain piece. Where would it stop? Double attack to all troopers that do 30 damage.
Force renewal boosts of 1 or 2 for everyone with a force rating

I offer another alternative, new Commander effects or special abilities to either give out lightsaber deflect/reflect and/or increase normal reflect/deflect to a save of 6. Would be a cool CE for a fringe piece like a new Jolee Bindo/Kreia/Vergere. Or a special ability like (Instructor at the start of the skirmish all allied characters with a force rating gain lightsaber deflect, characters that already have deflect gain reflect, and characters with reflect are successful on a save of 6. Handing out upgraded force powers to properly reflect a force users ability while simplifying the gameplay shift. It's hard enough to tell new guys that rigid actually doesn't exist, and explain the difference between living characters, force immunity, soresu style mastery and the other unwritten rules that are not on the cards for the most part.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:20 am 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

GeneralGrievous wrote:
Well I do agree with the thought behind your idea. It was what Obi wan started Luke on, seems to be a pretty basic technique. However in the context of the game it doesn't make sense to have an unwritten rule change for all of a certain piece. Where would it stop? Double attack to all troopers that do 30 damage.
Force renewal boosts of 1 or 2 for everyone with a force rating

I offer another alternative, new Commander effects or special abilities to either give out lightsaber deflect/reflect and/or increase normal reflect/deflect to a save of 6. Would be a cool CE for a fringe piece like a new Jolee Bindo/Kreia/Vergere. Or a special ability like (Instructor at the start of the skirmish all allied characters with a force rating gain lightsaber deflect, characters that already have deflect gain reflect, and characters with reflect are successful on a save of 6. Handing out upgraded force powers to properly reflect a force users ability while simplifying the gameplay shift. It's hard enough to tell new guys that rigid actually doesn't exist, and explain the difference between living characters, force immunity, soresu style mastery and the other unwritten rules that are not on the cards for the most part.

I like the idea of there being a CE for this kind of idea. I propose that it be worded just like Cortosis Gautlet SA and a TBSV's CE. Here it is as follows:

CE: Ally's with Lightsaber Deflect gain Lightsaber Deflect Mastery (or some other appropriate name).

Here is what Lightsaber Deflect mastery would be worded like:
Lightsaber Deflect Mastery (Whenever this character rolls 18 or better on a save when using Lightsaber Deflect against a non adjacent enemy, that enemy takes 10 damage.)

So it is kinda like a Cortosis Gautlet ability for people with Lightsaber defelct. The ability could be modified to reflect all damaage, but I think that might be a bit to overpowered.

Aliit ori'shya tal'din ("Family is more than Blood")
To learn Mandalorian, go to http://www.karentraviss.com/html/mando.htm.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:03 am 
Unnamed Wookiee
Unnamed Wookiee

I like the idea too, my brother was just complaining about this "they do reflect in the movies all the time and none of my guys have it" I was using Durge destroying his unique jedi muhahaha

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:00 pm 

At the last meeting of my group, I presented the idea of making Equipment Cards. The concept is you can give a character, or characters, extra stuff that they normally do not have. This would increase the cost of the character for VP purposes. The items given to the character also cannot be traded or given to other characters in your squad. If a character is defeated with equipment, the items are lost with them.

Here's an example:

Lets say you're playing a dynamic duo tournament and have 5-10 points left over from the two characters you want to use. No problem, give one of your characters a lightsaber so that they gain the Lightsaber SA.

Want to have a bandaid? Why not bring a medpack with you to have the Heal 10 SA. Hate how those mouse droid walls get in the way? Good thing you brought your handy-dandy jet pack.

I don't think it would be a good idea to use these upgrades in the 100, 150 and 200 constructed tournments, but it would open the game up a little bit by making even more combinations that you could possibly see. I think it would be fun to use them in every other official game play though. There would need to be restrictions or qualifications for giving certain pieces of equipment to characters, but that would be for balancing factors.

Like if you want to give a Blaster or Blaster Rifle to someone, they must have Melee attack printed on their card. I also thought it would be a cool idea to allow people to add a different flavor to the characters that are out there. Let me know what you all think of this.

Sincerely,
Jester007

Punting jawas may be bad, but its just so FUN!!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:33 pm 
Unnamed Wookiee
Unnamed Wookiee

Sounds like a cool idea to me, its kinda like having an armoury

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:06 pm 
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire

I can already see someone giving 3po a blaster lol