logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 262 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 14  Next

Post subject: Re: Very Important - V-Set Funding Thread. Please Read!!!!!
PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 12:20 pm 
Major Tierce
Major Tierce

You can send US Postal Service Global Express or some such and that has a tracking feature. I did it a couple years ago overseas (don't remember where) and it ran about 30-40 bucks. I am sure you can look at the USPS website and get a better estimate. That is likely how the international sets will be shipped barring some super cheap way someone discovers.

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 6:22 pm 
General
General

urbanjedi wrote:
You can send US Postal Service Global Express or some such and that has a tracking feature. I did it a couple years ago overseas (don't remember where) and it ran about 30-40 bucks. I am sure you can look at the USPS website and get a better estimate. That is likely how the international sets will be shipped barring some super cheap way someone discovers.

That is correct. For V-Set 1, I had 8 sets shipped to Malaysia for about that much. 6 sets of V-Set 2 + Theed should be about equivalent size to our 8 sets last time around.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:57 am 
Really Cool Alien from a Cantina
Really Cool Alien from a Cantina

50 Imperial credits donated for the 3 new sets! Thanks guys for spearheading the charge and making awesome V-Sets! Hopefully we'll have many more for years to come. Long live SW Minis!!!!!!!!!!!!! :fight:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:29 am 
Unnamed Wookiee
Unnamed Wookiee

Just donated a total of $180 for three complete sets (3x R&R, 3xBoT, and 3xEpic - so thats $60 for each set of complete sets) for Australia. Hopefully the extra $30 helps with postage down under!

Looking forward to seeing what's instore for us in the new sets - thanks guys!

boggle_scorch

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:17 am 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

$50 on the behalf of Chris Flores of Kokomo, IN. donated to R&R via PayPal. More to come from Brian Hole, Tony Mullins, Dan Jordan, and Mike Giles soon. Thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:19 pm 
Name Calling Internet Bully
Name Calling Internet Bully

Weekly update!

As of this morning, we have $4534.25 donated towards our 3 sets! That is awsome, just under $500 to go to reach the goal.

http://www.bloomilk.com/Squads/Search.aspx?UserID=29

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:47 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Question. How many sets of each are being printed, sorry if I missed it posted elsewhere? If only 100 people donate $50 then it would seem depending on how many are printed that plenty of people might be able to get theirs with no contribution...which would be a real shame. On a lighter note, how great it is to see that so much has been collected so quickly affirming the community's desire to support the game!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:12 am 
Unnamed Wookiee
Unnamed Wookiee

I have a few issues/concerns about "donating" $50 for this V-set. Especially after the issues that have been previously discussed in length. (don't worry I have no plans to re-hash that issue)

-The first issue is that this seems very high to me. I understand that the $20 per set did not really cover the expenses last time due to the cuts taken by kickstarter, but to switch to Paypal(lowering the cut taken) and then raising the "donation" by 150% seems excessive. (even with the extra 20+ cards)

As Waco Blaze pointed out, essentially you have 100 players paying for what I assume with be at least 4 to 5 times that many players to get sets? I don't mind donating to help keep this going, but this is more than a days pay for me. I am just a little leery about just handing over that much.

I also remember donating last year and then seeing a lot sets being handed out to other players that had not donated anything. (although our point man did ask them to donate if they could while giving them the sets)

It would seem to me that a lower "donation" might bring in more donors and even raise more funds.

-The second issue I have is that I have heard that there is excess funding figured into this $5000 and will be used to help pay for V-set 3. I don't want to sound skeptical, but there are no guarantees that there will be a V-set 3. I guess I am a "Plan ahead, but only take one step at a time" kind of guy. If this is accurate, this is setting ourselves up for another potential funding scandal.

Can somebody give me details of estimated costs and what the print run is? That kind of information would either alleviate my concerns or at least educate me enough to be able make a decision or voice specific concerns.

:DS2:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:15 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

Jordan -
To answer some of your questions -
The printing cost and the shipping from the printer to the distribution committee is about $4200. So that leaves $800 or there abouts to cover the shipping of all the V-sets. I know you are thinking this "aren't they distributing most of them at GenCon?" Yes they are going to distribute many sets at GenCon.
You mention a bit about the DOTF money. Let's just say there are multiple reasons why we didn't get all the donations that came from that. I really don't want to get into it all here. But there are about a dozen or so people in the community that step up to insure that all the bills were paid and insuring that there would be a 2nd V-set.
We can't make money on the cards because of copyright issues. We can't charge per set. If you donate you are guaranteed a set, but you don't have to donate. You also don't have to donate at the $50 level which guarantees you your sets. You can simply request a set and we will try to get you one.
If you don't wish to donate that is fine with me. But even if you donated a $100 , it is less than what many of us were paying when a new set came out from WOTC. If you don't donate and we run out of cards, you can't complain when we tell you to down load the PDF and print them yourself.

To address your concerns about any money left over. Please know that the printer is requiring us to pay at least half the print cost up front. We are planning ahead so that we have money to pay the printer if in fact donations are slower than expected. To ease your mind about V-set three and four. They are already in the works. Wait a moment and don't freak out. When I say they are in the works, I mean this. The design team for each set has been put together. Ideas on characters, special abilities, force powers, and commander effects are being worked on. People are being lined up to be in charge of play testing, quality control, and assisting with graphics. So we ARE planning ahead. I am not 100% sure on release dates. I think v-set 3 may be Jan or Feb of 2012? V-set 4 Gencon 2012?

We have set up the funding so a select few trusted people are watching the money. We have reorganized how we are going to distribution. Please keep in mind the DOTF was our first run at this. Do you think Al Gore invented the internet on his first try? I think not. Can I guarantee no problems in the future? No, I can't. I will tell you we have learned from the mistakes that were made and we are putting measures in place so it doesn't happen again.

I hope this clears things up for you.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:17 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

WacoBlaze wrote:
Question. How many sets of each are being printed, sorry if I missed it posted elsewhere? If only 100 people donate $50 then it would seem depending on how many are printed that plenty of people might be able to get theirs with no contribution...which would be a real shame. On a lighter note, how great it is to see that so much has been collected so quickly affirming the community's desire to support the game!

Someone correct me if I am wrong

R&R / BOT 600 sets
Epic 300 sets

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:36 pm 
Jedi Battlemaster
Jedi Battlemaster

Not incorrect, that is our original estimate. Depending on demand/donations we may go higher. The final decision will be made July 1.

Re: Jordan

If you don't want to donate, that's fine. You can request a set in your region's pointman thread. I do encourage you to donate and support a game you enjoy. Yes, more sets will be printed than there are donors. As a donor, you're not only getting the sets you ask for, but also you're supporting the project so that others, who perhaps can't afford to donate, can also continue to enjoy the game.

The total goal of donations was based on cost quotes from the printer and based on the amount we were short from DotF.
Where did you hear that there is excess planned? Every dollar raised is going towards the printed and distribution of R&R/BoT/EDD.

Finally, I don't see it a problem that people will get a set of R&R/BoT without a donation. We handed out a ton of DotF and everyone who got it was super pleased with it, whether or not they donated. I hope that people will enjoy R&R as much, and that we'll be out of sets quickly.

Join the FOLLY! Online casual League, find out more here: FOLLY

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 4:54 pm 
General
General

Donated $50 at Lansing regional personally to Engineer.

Khanbob42You, sir, are amazing :D

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:08 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

Less than a minute ago, I donated $50 for one of each set. We've gotta be getting really close now!
:Anniepilot: "Almost there...almost there. Just hold them off for a few more seconds...."

I'll post my request in the Ontario Pointman thread.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:26 pm 
Major Tierce
Major Tierce

we are over. Engineer got a large donation from me for Lansing areas donation.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:31 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

Woohoo! Happy Dance! :fight:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:48 am 
Unnamed Wookiee
Unnamed Wookiee

Ruhk wrote:
Re: Jordan

If you don't want to donate, that's fine. You can request a set in your region's pointman thread. I do encourage you to donate and support a game you enjoy. Yes, more sets will be printed than there are donors. As a donor, you're not only getting the sets you ask for, but also you're supporting the project so that others, who perhaps can't afford to donate, can also continue to enjoy the game.

At no point did I say that I was did not want to donate, or was unwilling to donate. I expressed my concerns and I think they were valid concerns. Most of my questions have been answered and logged in this morning to make my donation.

Now I have a new question / concern. Now that you have made your goal are no longer accepting donations? If not, is there a way to ensure that you can get a set?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:29 am 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

I would assume that we are still accepting donations.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:34 am 
Unnamed Wookiee
Unnamed Wookiee

LESHIPPY wrote:

Les, mark me down as donated please...and whoever else needs to know...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:37 am 
Unnamed Stormtrooper
Unnamed Stormtrooper

Just donated $50 for new sets. Can't wait to see them!!!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:53 am 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

Jordan wrote:
LESHIPPY wrote:

Les, mark me down as donated please...and whoever else needs to know...

Marked you in the IN pointman thread

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 262 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 14  Next