logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: My friends think my character is broken
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:11 am 
Mandalore
Mandalore

So I roleplay on friday night and my friends say my character is broken, My GM wanted to have 2 jedi in the party so he drew names from a hat, My wife and I were the names drawn. 26 point stat buy, level seven starting.

This is what I made
Human Male Jedi

Stats:
8 str
14 dex +1 @ 4
10 con
10 int
14 wis
16 cha +1 @ 4

Trained Skills: Use the Force, Initiative, Acrobatics

Talents: Block, Deflect, Force Pilot, Force Perception

Feats:
Vehichle Combat, Force Training (3), Jedi Starting Feats,
Skill Focus (UTF <It functions as pilot and perception>)
Weapon Finesse, Acrobatic Strike.

Force Suite:
Saber Swarm x4 <Going into Ataru next level so I thought this would be cool>
Move Object
Mind Trick x 2
Surge
Force Stun

In our first couple of combats I made some good deflect rolls and eliminated a lot of damage, and now a portion of our group says I'm too powerful, I don't think so because while I do defend myself with Block and Deflect, We have a soldier with 28 Fort and 26 reflex Those defenses are 9 and 6 higher than mine respectively, and further in order to do any kind of damage I have to rely on Saber Swarm or Move Object (I use Move Object as a last resort). Regardless, the point of the game is to have fun, and if I am making it so other people can't do that then I should probably change what I am doing, but I really like my character's flavor, any suggestions?

ImageImage

Post subject: Re: My friends think my character is broken
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:36 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Well, sounds to me like that's your GM's problem to work out, not yours. You created a character under the guidelines you were given. Perhaps the GM was using enemies that were too weak. Maybe he needs to throw in at least one higher level CL enemy to tie you up, and let the others deal with the lower guys.

I've seen people complain in the past that Jedi were too powerful in the RPG game, but I honestly think that most of it has to do with the enemies. The Campaign I designed, and pre-generated characters for, the lower CL enemies couldn't barely even hit the Jedi, let alone get past their Block/Deflect saves. But throw a few CL 10 characters at them (PCs are lvl 12), and all of the sudden, they are taking damage left and right.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:11 am 
Mandalore
Mandalore

Well this week I did manage to take over a freighter singlehandedly. He wanted to show us the bad guys getting away, so there was the freighter with a kidnapped girl on it. I used my surge to leap onto the cockpit, and then sliced through the cockpit with my lightsaber <Dynamic class freighter> When I activated Surge I had a 35 on the Use the Force, so the Jump was easy enough. There is only the one pilot in the cockpit <I'm standing on the controls> He hits the thrusters to try to shake me off, but I make my acrobatics check to avoid that. I tumble past and lock the door, hoping no one else knows who is in the cockpit. I deal with the pilot, <weakling> in one round. Then I do what I feel is best and strap into the cockpit seat. Following round I switch off the inertial compensator and start fancy flying to do damage to the unsuspecting crew. Though it occurs to me now this was a bad idea because it probably hurt the hostage too. Anyway BBEG who we have been chasing ever since he fired on us in space <And I shot him down with returning fire> comes into the cockpit I move objected him out of the open hole in the cockpit <We are in atmosphere of a planet and he is wearing a jet pack, so this is not lethal force.> Short end is now the party has a freighter, and we rescued a hostage. I think I played my character correctly, and I think I did everything I should have done, but people think it's too flashy, and I think some other players are getting annoyed.

ImageImage

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:22 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Again, sounds like a GM issue to me. You followed the rules that the GM set in order to build your character. If he feels like you are taking over things too much, then he just has to select higher DC checks for anything you attempt, lol. Sometimes, you'll roll incredibly high and still make it happen.

Sounds to me like your GM is just too soft on you. ;)

Read www.darthsanddroids.net. You'll probably get a kick out of it, and maybe you'll recognize some of what's going on with your group. :)