logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Starships of the Galaxy
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:44 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

The first preview of the new Starships of the Galaxy book is up on the WotC web page!! Check it out.

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=st ... icle/SotG1

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 5:08 am 
Warmaster
Warmaster

A mate of mine picked it up the weekend, so SOTG is out in the UK!

Post subject: Re: Starships of the Galaxy
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 8:41 am 
Really Cool Alien from a Cantina

I've picked up the Starship companion and I really like it.

I'm having a problem understanding the Stock Ships part though.

It says you can use CH 10 of the Core Rulebook to find the process of determining a ships Perception, GRP, etc etc but I cannot find out how to do that in the Core Rulebook.

I feel like I'm basically just missing something over and over.

Has anyone checked out the Stock Ships part of the book?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 10:02 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

I have it, but haven't a had a chance to fully read it. I plan to go through it in-depth this afternoon.

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 11:35 am 
Warmaster
Warmaster

My LGS, who admitantly is a comic & model shop rather than role-playing shop, ha not had it in yet :sulk: :(

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 4:56 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Lord_Nihl wrote:
I've picked up the Starship companion and I really like it.

I'm having a problem understanding the Stock Ships part though.

It says you can use CH 10 of the Core Rulebook to find the process of determining a ships Perception, GRP, etc etc but I cannot find out how to do that in the Core Rulebook.

I feel like I'm basically just missing something over and over.

Has anyone checked out the Stock Ships part of the book?

Yeah, its confusing. This is my educated guess. The numbers for those skills is based either on a specific member in the crew (base attack is determined by who the gunner is, pg. 167, and things like Grapple are based off other stats. Then there's the "Crew Quality" chart on pg. 174. Probably going to require some very careful reading to get it all down right. That's too bad, too; they should have made that clearer.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 4:47 pm 

I found this post on the Wotc site about Stock Ships and figuring some of their stats.

Here we go:
I thought this might help a few people out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAQ THREAD
Q: How would a PC or unique crew affect a vehicle's stats? Which bonuses would it give?

A: You determine the following stats in the following way (in order of statblock appearance):

Vehicle Initiative = Your Initiative modifier (or Pilot modifier if you are trained) + Vehicle Size Modifier + Vehicle Dexterity Modifier.

Perception = Your Perception modifier.

Reflex Defense = 10 + your character level (or vehicle's armor bonus) + vehicle's Dexterity modifier + vehicle's size modifier.

Attack Rolls = Your base attack bonus + vehicle's Intelligence modifier + miscellaneous bonuses (point blank shot, weapon focus, etc.) + 2 (if trained in Pilot and firing Pilot controlled weapons from the Pilot's position).

Base Attack Bonus = Your base attack bonus.

Grapple = Your base attack bonus + vehicle's size modifier + vehicle's Strength modifier.

Skills = Your appropriate skill modifiers ( + vehicle size modifier + vehicle Dexterity modifier in the case of Initiative and Pilot checks).

The above is what I garnered from reverse engineering the stats of several vehicles. If it is not listed above, it is either not affected by having a unique crew or is explicitly spelled out in the book already (such as determining the Fortitude Defense). Also note that you use the stats of the appropriate character. For example, to determine Perception, you would most likely use the Sensor Operator's skill modifier; for attack rolls, you would use the base attack bonus of the person in the gunner position; etc.

Please, be sure to help contribute questions or discussion to the Errata thread (stickied to the top of the Mess Hall forum) and/or the FAQ thread (also found in the Mess Hall, just a little lower).

The more info we get into these two threads, the better the official Errata and FAQ documents will be when they eventually come out. Thanks!

:jawa: