logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Shadows of the Empire: Miniatures style!
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:42 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

OK, so this was technically crafted by Lackey, and hopefully he'll add to it if I forget anything. But, I thought I'd post it up here for everyone to enjoy. We tried this for the first time last night, and it was quite a bit of fun. So, here you go!

If you are not familiar with the Shadows of the Empire novel/game/comics, here's a brief overview for you. At the end of Empire Strikes Back, Boba Fett has taken Han Solo, who is frozen in carbonite. The SOTE stories tell what happens during the few months between ESB and ROTJ. Luke, Leia, Chewie, and Lando set out to try every method they can to get Han back from Boba. There is a lot of interaction with various Bounty Hunters and the Black Sun crime syndicate as well. If you have never read that book, I highly recommend it.

So, here's the deal with this scenario.

Han Solo has been frozen in carbonite. Various Bounty Hunters, crime lords, and Fringe factions are trying to acquire Han in order to get Jabba the Hutt's bounty on Solo for themselves.

Each player builds a 200 point squad, using ONLY Fringe pieces. In addition, each player will need to choose a Han Solo piece that is 35 points or less. This Han is NOT included in the 200 points for the rest of the squad. You will also need 1 Han Solo in Carbonite piece.

Roll for map/set-up as normal for the DCI rules. Both players set up their forces. Now, make another roll. The winner of this roll has two choices:
1) Choose where the Han Solo in Carbonite is placed on the board. Must be in a legal square, within 4 squares from the center of the map (gambit zone), or
2) Choose which Han Solo piece is used for the entirety of the game (must choose between their own or their opponent's Han that was chosen early to be paired with their 200 point squad).
If the winner of the roll chooses where to place the Han in Carbonite, then the loser gets to decide which Han gets used for the game, and vice versa.

Now....begin play! Han Solo can be freed from the Carbonite per the normal rules for that piece (be particular aware of placement if Han Solo on Tauntaun is used). Either player can free Han, and when he is un-frozen, he is considered activated for that round (per normal rules). Remember, both players use the same Han that was decided on per the roll as outlined above.

If Han is killed at any time, the player that killed him does NOT earn victory points for the kill. However, Han is placed back into the Carbonite, and that player may choose where to put the Carbonite, again within 4 squares of the center of the map.

At the end of the game (either reaching 200 Victory Points or time is called), the player who is controlling Han earns 15 Victory Points. In addition, if you have 185 or more Victory Points AND control Han at the of a round, the game is over (essentially, while you control Han, you have an extra 15 Victory Points).

OK, go play and have fun! Let me know what you think!

Post subject: Re: Shadows of the Empire: Miniatures style!
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:28 am 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

One question that I have been asked a few times is if you are required to keep to Era minatures for this scenario. The answer is no. Since everyone was asked to build their squad from the Fringe faction, we wanted to make sure that there was plenty of variety in the squads and that everyone would not be playing the same pieces. Using all of the Finge characters really opens up the variety and our experience last night reinforce this notion. I cannot recall any two squads being all that similar.

I have to admit that this scenario was a blast to play and probably one of the funnest aspects was seeing that frozen slab of scoundrel standing in the middle of the map!