logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Alternative Gameplay: Capture the Ysalamiri
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:25 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Greetings,

My son, wife, and I have recently gotten into playing Star Wars Miniatures and I was thinking about a mode of play this morning which I would like to get some feedback on. Tell me what you think, what you think of the drawbacks of the idea, and if you think it would prove to be as fun as I think it would.

Quote:
CAPTURE THE YSALAMIRI

An ysalamiri has been located on the planet Myrkr! Can you capture the ysalamiri and return it to your ship before your enemy does?
Quote:
Sessile tree-dwellers from the obscure planet of Myrkr, the ysalamiri are among the most bizarre creatures of the galaxy. As part of a defensive mechanism that protects them from Force-sensitive pack animals called vornskrs, the ysalamiri have developed the unusual ability to "push back" the Force.

Ysalamiri are small, furry salamander-like creatures no larger than 50 centimeters long. Their long claws grow directly into the cores of the branches they inhabit, drawing nutrients from the mineral-rich trees. It takes special knowledge to successfully remove an ysalamiri from a branch without killing it.

A single ysalamiri creates a bubble in which the Force cannot be manipulated. In groups, the size of the bubble increases. Vast areas in which the Force cannot be used cover Myrkr.

The object of the game is to capture the ysalamiri and return it to your base. The winner of the game is the first person to return to their base with the ysalamiri or the first person to defeat all of the opposing players characters.

Each player starts with a maximum of 6 Characters per squad (maximum of 100 points per squad).

Characters setup in designated bases behind their respective ships (2 squares deep x 3 squares wide in the middle of the far sides of the map).

At the beginning of the game, the ysalamiri is placed in the exact center of the map.

All characters are limited to standard 6/12 movement, despite any special abilities (for example Wheel Form or Speed 10). Otherwise characters move and operate as normal unless the ysalamiri is nearby/captured.

The ysalamiri can only be captured by medium or small characters.

An ysalamiri is captured by either landing on the square that the ysalamiri alone occupies or by means of a successful attack on a character in possession of the ysalamiri from an adjacent enemy (save 11 on capture).

When the ysalamiri is captured by means of a successful adjacent attack, the character previously in possession of the ysalamiri is considered activated for this round.

Once the ysalamiri is captured, regardless of how it was captured, the capturing characters turn is considered ended for this round.

Characters who have possession of the ysalamiri gain Force Immunity.

Possession of the ysalamiri is considered cover and provides +4 Defense.

Characters who have possession of the ysalamiri lose all Force abilities, if they have any.

Characters who have possession of the ysalamiri move at half speed (3/6) but ignore low cover when moving.

While a force adept character is within 6 squares of the ysalamiri they lose all Force abilities.

A defeated character drops the ysalamiri where they stand (unless the ysalamiri is captured by an attacking adjacent enemy) and is removed from the board.

I have an image in my head for how a map would look (Imperial Shuttle on one side, X-Wing on the other, forest floor, etc.) but lack the time to actually put a map together right now. I also have in mind a small branch with an ysalamiri on it, which can be hung on a characters arm or neck and, possibly, a stat card for the ysalamiri which lays out the effects that it has on characters who possess it.

The only possible flaw that I can see, so far, is the use of Thrawn as he already has a ysalamiri on him but, then again, maybe that wouldn't be an issue... anyway, like I mentioned, I haven't been playing very long (less than a month) but would really be interested in getting some feedback from more experienced players.

So... what do you think?

Post subject: Re: Alternative Gameplay: Capture the Ysalamiri
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:02 pm 
Jedi Battlemaster
Jedi Battlemaster

Looks like some fun! You could check out cafepress to see if there are any maps that might work for you there. It seems that you've thought out the rules quite well. An addition I might make would be special rules for 3 or 4 player games.

Join the FOLLY! Online casual League, find out more here: FOLLY

Post subject: Re: Alternative Gameplay: Capture the Ysalamiri
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:33 am 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

I put together a map (my first, so go easy on me) of what I had in mind.

http://www.nivuahc.com/files/images/Ysalamiri.jpg (1.7MB 24x36 JPG)