logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Custom Help Needed!
PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:08 pm 
Really Cool Alien from a Cantina
Really Cool Alien from a Cantina

Hey

I posted this on BM, but i have heard that there's more folks here; so i'm posting it here too (plus; i have no answers so far and i need some quickly)

i was thinking about starting to create custom figs, and wondernig what stuff (materials) i should have and where to get them cheapest. Here's the list i've compiled so far that i think i'll need:

-Paint (what type of paint should i get?)
-Sculpy (or that clay stuff you all have)
-X-Acto Kniffe (i already have one but want to know if there's a "better" or "higher quality" one)
-Glue (what type of glue should i get?)

Where should i get this stuff too BTW? i went to michaels today and i was just gazing open mouthed at all the paints they had...what stores sell the cheapest stuff?

also, if any of you know what else i should have, please let me know. Also, custom tips in general would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Custom Help Needed!
PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:06 am 
Unnamed Wookiee
Unnamed Wookiee

Paint- The best is definitely Citadel Colour by Games Workshop. Goes on very smooth and doesn't obscure fine details. The only problem is that the colors are rather specific. I haven't seen a primary/secondary color set, so mixing a color to match is tricky. For that I use Golden Acrylics, but there may be better brands.

Sculpy- I've heard most get better results with a 2-part epoxy (like Green Stuff or ProCreate) than Sculpy.

X-acto Knife- X-acto brand is fine. I'd suggest getting one that feels comfortable in your hand and has interchangable blades, so you can swap out dull ones (because you'll apply more pressure, you're more likely to slip and cut yourself with a dull blade).

Glue- I just use Krazy Glue. If you can, try to get the single-use mini-tubes, since any size Krazy Glue tube will dry out quickly after it's first use, so you won't likely get more than one use anyway.

Other tools that will help would be a small file to trim and smooth out surfaces before gluing, and a push-pin or sewing needle to scrape away tiny bit of excess paint and such.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:27 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Kind of depends on how much money you want to spend. If you want to start out cheap, then go with stuff like Apple Barrel paints, which you can find at Wal-mart for like $0.99 a bottle, and the bottles are like 3 times as big as the GW paints. However, these are definitely cheaper paints, and can sometimes require thinning or have other issues. But if you're just starting out, then I would definitely consider those.

I 2nd the suggestion of an exacto blade with swappable blades. Michaels and other stores like that typically sell nice little kits that come with a blade handle and 8-10 other blade options.

As for glue, you're basic super glue is the best bet. I like to get the bottles that have the brush applicators, as those seem to dry out less quickly. You don't HAVE to get the small bottles, just make sure you always close your glue up quickly when you're done using it. And then keep a safety pin or something similar nearby on hand in order to pop through the hardened glue in the nozzle the next time you need to use it. If you want to get some really nice glue, look for Cyanoacrylite at a hobby store like Michaels. They usually sell it in increments of how fast it dries (30 second, 60 second, etc.)

As for sculpey, Green Stuff is definitely the best I've found so far. It seems expensive, but I bought one $10 package of it, and that was like 2 years ago. Still have about half of it left. So it will go a long ways!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:59 pm 
Unnamed Stormtrooper
Unnamed Stormtrooper

-Paint (what type of paint should i get?)
I use acrylic paint (GW mostly)

-Sculpy (or that clay stuff you all have)
Green Stuff is easy to use and relatively cheap

-X-Acto Kniffe (i already have one but want to know if there's a "better" or "higher quality" one)
Any hobby knife will do, just make sure to keep the blade fresh as they tend to dull after a while.

-Glue (what type of glue should i get?)
Super/Krazy glue is probably the best stuff to glue plastics together...just make sure you have two clean cuts and they will be glued for life with that stuff.

Last edited by wskr on Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:13 am 
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice

My Reccomendations

Paint: For starting out I would recommend Testors ACRYLIC (avoid enamels like the plague!) flat (not gloss) paints. These are fairly cheap and do a pretty good job, I haven't had any issues with them chipping.

Xacto Knife: The only important thing here is to have a sharp blade, but be careful not to lob off a finger :shock:

Glue: I just buy a package of 3-4 tubes for $1 at walmart or or the local $ store. the lid tends to get glued on after a while which can be a pain, but for the price it's quite effective.

I left out Sculpy because I myself haven't used it much, nor have I been able to acquire any Kneadatite (green stuff)