logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Jedi and Sith Holocrons
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:42 pm 
Third Jedi from the Left
Third Jedi from the Left

We've always wanted to see Holocrons represented in the game. We thought about setting their speed to 4, but didn't want them too limited. We also thought about having them be an object that could be picked-up and carried, as in one of the scenarios produced by WotC, but we're really trying to make pieces that can function in the standard game without an extended rule set.

The minis were made out of little plastic beads from a craft store. The stand is a Games Workshop flight stand. We put them on small bases.

Anyway, let me know if it looks good or if it needs some tweaking.

You can find our custom cards here:

DARK SIDE's Custom Minis Thread

Some cards have been updated recently after play testing, so check it out.

DC

Post subject: Re: Jedi and Sith Holocrons
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:15 am 
Jedi Battlemaster
Jedi Battlemaster

hmm not bad. however Sith holocrons are typically depicted as pyramids.. can't remember about jedi holocrons.. but I seem to think they are cubic in form, perhaps with rounded edges.

Of course, there is not reason why they can't be any such polygon, thats just the standard image I think of.

nicely done with the stats all the same, I like it! Something really neat that could've been added to the game. Of course.. you've opened the door to Force Grip-ing and Force Healing Yuuzhan Vong. Seems a bit odd to me :)

Maybe change the affinities..

Sith (Sep, Imp, Sith (maybe mando)) and Jedi (rebels, Republic, NR, OR, (maybe mando))

Join the FOLLY! Online casual League, find out more here: FOLLY

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:47 am 
Third Jedi from the Left
Third Jedi from the Left

Ruhk wrote:
...nicely done with the stats all the same, I like it! Something really neat that could've been added to the game. Of course.. you've opened the door to Force Grip-ing and Force Healing Yuuzhan Vong. Seems a bit odd to me :)

Thanks, Ruhk! This is just the first, basic version. We can always change the abilities imparted by activating near a holocron. We didn't want it to be TOO powerful, since this opens up the possibility of giving Force Renewal to characters with a fixed Force point level, which could be huge; in fact, that's why the ability is an SA rather than a CE. Makes running a Sith squad much more interesting when you combine the Sith Holocron with Darth Sidious, Hologram!

I don't think you need to worry about any YZV benefiting, though. It's limited to allies with a Force rating, and I don't think any YZV have that.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:09 pm 
Jedi Battlemaster
Jedi Battlemaster

Ah! missed that part.. it was late! :)

Join the FOLLY! Online casual League, find out more here: FOLLY

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:00 am 
Hand of the Sith
Hand of the Sith

I reall like the both of these, Alot of fun to be had. I would like to see you go on and start making unique Holocrons. That would just be epic. Of course all you need to do is make the cardsm since u have the pieces.

For example, you could do A Revan Holocron that would teach an ally with a Force Rating Force Corruption. A Bane Holocron that teaches Force Lightning, A Plagueis Holocron that grants Essence of Life... Of course these would be more powerful, and maybe make them a save 11 to "Teach" the power or something of that nature.

As far as your actual holocrons go, I would say that they are very well done.. But I do see the problem of making characters overpowered.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:24 pm 
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice

Nice idea in having (Jedi and Sith) Holocrons.
I like the Idea that it can/should be carried by "Force users". I would limit the Jedi Holocron to the Old Republic, Republic, and New Republic, though. They were unheard of during the Rebellion.
One problem I see is the Defense at 16 (the "base" defense of a Stormtrooper, for example). I think they need to be higher to reflect their size (in game terms -- tiny). That said, I think they should have a Defense 21 - 23. I know that may be considered a high Defense rating, but you have to bear in mind the size, and in cover virtually undetectable at range. Another idea is to treat the holocrons like Jedi/Sith Spirits (i.e Obi-Wan Kenobi, Jedi Spirit; Luke Skywalker, Jedi Spirit) in the ways to defeat them.
I would also like to see "variable" Holocrons with this ability (At the beginning of the Skirmish, roll the die.
[Jedi Holocron, as an example]
Results 1 - 7 -- Mettle
Results 8 - 15 -- Force Heal 10
Results 16 - 20 -- Force Renewal 1)
This is to reflect the different, "generic" Holocrons out there.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:14 pm 
Third Jedi from the Left
Third Jedi from the Left

SteveSpikes wrote:
Nice idea in having (Jedi and Sith) Holocrons.
I like the Idea that it can/should be carried by "Force users". I would limit the Jedi Holocron to the Old Republic, Republic, and New Republic, though. They were unheard of during the Rebellion.
One problem I see is the Defense at 16 (the "base" defense of a Stormtrooper, for example). I think they need to be higher to reflect their size (in game terms -- tiny). That said, I think they should have a Defense 21 - 23. I know that may be considered a high Defense rating, but you have to bear in mind the size, and in cover virtually undetectable at range. Another idea is to treat the holocrons like Jedi/Sith Spirits (i.e Obi-Wan Kenobi, Jedi Spirit; Luke Skywalker, Jedi Spirit) in the ways to defeat them.
I would also like to see "variable" Holocrons with this ability (At the beginning of the Skirmish, roll the die.
[Jedi Holocron, as an example]
Results 1 - 7 -- Mettle
Results 8 - 15 -- Force Heal 10
Results 16 - 20 -- Force Renewal 1)
This is to reflect the different, "generic" Holocrons out there.

I really like the idea of upping the defense. I understood they were fairly fragile, but that's easily represented by their need to activate within two of a Force User. They are small, like a mouse droid. I'm thinking 18 wouldn't be too crazy.

We could make a generic holocron with variable abilities. I'm going to have to buy more beads!

DC

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:24 am 
General
General

I think it makes more sense that the Holocrons cannot be targeted, same as Spirits. You don't want a Holocron blocking LOS, it doesn't really make sense.

As for the abilities... the Sith Holocron should be a bit more limited, perhaps requires a character with a name containing "Darth" or "Dark Side"? Otherwise, I can imagine a horde of Force Gripping Younglings... quite powerful for ranged auto-damage.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 2:53 pm 
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice

Wedge772 wrote:
I think it makes more sense that the Holocrons cannot be targeted, same as Spirits. You don't want a Holocron blocking LOS, it doesn't really make sense.

As for the abilities... the Sith Holocron should be a bit more limited, perhaps requires a character with a name containing "Darth" or "Dark Side"? Otherwise, I can imagine a horde of Force Gripping Younglings... quite powerful for ranged auto-damage.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Kids will be kids.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:32 am 
Third Jedi from the Left
Third Jedi from the Left

Wedge772 wrote:

Good points, Wedge.

We'd considered making them untargetable, but the more we thought about it we realized they were physical objects that could be shot, hit by lightning, damaged by grenades, etc. We tried to show represent their fragility and their small size with the defensive value. We're still considering bumping it up a bit.

Yeah, it's not quite canon to have Jedi younglings running around with Sith Grip, I agree. It's hard to draw the line between game-play and the story of Star Wars. And it's even harder to think of all the ways it can be exploited. But I also think it's fun to see how to exploit it. :DSBoom:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:52 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

You could have the Sith Holocron in the Sith faction instead of Fringe. Jedi Holocron could be OR with Affinity for Rep.

Otherwise, cool stuff, although the Jedi's get the short end of the stick in terms of abilities. What about granting LS Defense to Jedi, and Sith Rage to the Sith?