logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Joruus C'boath
PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:02 pm 
Third Jedi from the Left
Third Jedi from the Left

Here's our version of Joruus C'baoth, the crazy clone of a Republic era Jedi. Timothy Zahn introduced him in The Thrawn Trilogy.

Our mini was created using the D&D Mini Doomdreamer for the body and the Horrorclix character The Mad Monk for the head. We sliced off the majority of the mace to make it a lightsaber, gave it a quick paint job, and that's it!!!

We based our Joruus on one being worked up as part of The New Lost Twenty set. We opted for a few different abilities. There was quite a lengthy discussion about whether to use regular Battle Meditation, to create a Greater Battle Meditation (of which the variations were endless), or to create a CE that functioned well for the character. We really fought for the GBM option, one that made combining fire useful again and gave a suitable bonus that made sense in terms of what Battle Meditation does.

We give the New Lost Twenty crew credit by adding an NLT to the bottom of the card.

Anyway, let me know if it looks good or if it needs some tweaking.

You can find our custom cards here:

DARK SIDE's Custom Minis Thread

Some cards have been updated recently after play testing, so check it out.

DC

Post subject: Re: Joruus C'boath
PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:10 pm 
Third Jedi from the Left
Third Jedi from the Left

Here are some of the alternate forms of Greater Battle Meditation we came up with.

Greater Battle Meditation (Force 3, replaces attacks: For the rest of the skirmish, this character gains the following commander effect: Allies who combine fire grant an additional +4 Attack, and enemy characters cannot combine fire. Non-unique followers gain Advantageous Attack (+10 Damage against an enemy who has not activated this round)

Greater Battle Meditation (Force 3, replaces turn: For the rest of the skirmish, this character gains the following commander effect: Allies who combine fire grant an additional +4 Attack, and enemy characters cannot combine fire. Non-unique followers can move 2 extra squares on their turns as part of their move)

Greater Battle Meditation (Force 3, replaces turn: For the rest of the skirmish, this character gains the following commander effect: Allies who combine fire grant an additional +4 Attack, and enemy characters cannot combine fire. Non-unique followers that end their moves within 6 squares of this character can move 2 extra squares at the end of their turns)

Greater Battle Meditation (Force 3, replaces turn: For the rest of the skirmish, this character gains the following commander effect: Allies who combine fire grant an additional +4 Attack, and enemy characters cannot combine fire. Non-unique followers in your squad gain Self-Destruct 10)

Greater Battle Meditation (Force 3, replaces turn: For the rest of the skirmish, this character gains the following commander effect: Allies who combine fire grant an additional +4 Attack, and enemy characters cannot combine fire. Whenever a Non-unique follower within 6 squares defeats an enemy, it may immediately move 2 squares)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:27 pm 
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

Nice looking miniature! I want one! Seriously, that is a very accurate looking representation of C'boath.

As for the stats, he feels somewhat overcosted. I like Dominate on him, but I don't think that form of Greater Battle Meditation is worth using. Also, I would think about adding Doctrine of Fear. Most were very uneasy around Joruus.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:26 am 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Tirade wrote:
Nice looking miniature! I want one! Seriously, that is a very accurate looking representation of C'boath.

As for the stats, he feels somewhat overcosted. I like Dominate on him, but I don't think that form of Greater Battle Meditation is worth using. Also, I would think about adding Doctrine of Fear. Most were very uneasy around Joruus.

I dont think BM is the way to go with him. Simply because BM was crap since the day it was written.
To me he needs to be either a massive force battery like lazyboy palpy BUT have a major damaing side effect when he dies.
Or be a direct on the field player giving stupid bonuses to adjacent and range 6 characters and either be fragile as hell or have a major damaing side effect when he dies.
I do like the self destruct! Thats something i overlooked.

He's a toughy, this is what i use for him but it still needs work. He is a bit over powered but his hp is low and he has no direct attack and to get the best out of him he has to be in the fight.

Joruus C'baoth
Fringe

Hit Points 80
Defense 23
Attack -
Damage -

Special: Unique Evade (When hit by an attack from a nonadjacent enemy, this character takes no damage with a save of 11)
Dominate Mind (Sight; Once per round, after initiative is determined, one character can take an immediate turn. This does not count as activating that character this round, or count as one of your 2 activations this phase.)
Dark Inspiration (At the start of the skirmish, choose an allied character with a Force rating. For the rest of the skirmish, that character gains Lightsaber Duelist [+4 Defense when attacked by an adjacent enemy with a Force rating])
Betrayal (On an attack roll of natural 1 against this character, the attacking enemy joins this character's squad until the end of the skirmish)
Dark Master (At the start of the skirmish, choose a Unique allied character. That character may spend Joruus C'baoth's Force points as if they were its own)

Force 3. Force Renewal 1

Master of the Force 3 (May spend Force points up to 3 times in a single turn)
Force Lightning 3 (Force 3, replaces turn: range 6; 40 damage to target and 2 characters adjacent to that target. Huge or smaller characters are considered activated this round; save 16)
Force Scream (Force 2, usable only on this character's turn: Enemy characters within 6 squares take 10 damage and are pushed back 1 square save 11; moved characters are considered activated this round)
Force Aura (Force 5, replaces turn: For the rest of the skirmish, this character gains the following ability: Enemy characters within 6 squares can only attack adjacent characters regardless of Special Abilities and Force Powers)
Commander Effect Followers with a force rating within 6 squares can use 1 Force power 1 extra time per turn.

"You don't understand power...Conquering worlds you'll never even visit isn't power. Neither is destroying ships and people and rebellions you haven't looked at face-to-face."

"...he is a wound in the Force..."

Dinuir ni verda kyr'am ner

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:20 pm 
Third Jedi from the Left
Third Jedi from the Left

Tirade wrote:

Thanks, Tirade!

I'm thinking he's over-costed, too. What would you think about 38pts, keeping the current stats?

Why don't you like the GBM? Is one of the other versions above preferable to it? We thought that increasing the attack bonus from combining fire, eliminating the enemy's ability to combine fire, and increasing speed (and thus tactical advantage) was pretty sweet!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:27 pm 
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

DarthChaos wrote:
Tirade wrote:

Thanks, Tirade!

I'm thinking he's over-costed, too. What would you think about 38pts, keeping the current stats?

Why don't you like the GBM? Is one of the other versions above preferable to it? We thought that increasing the attack bonus from combining fire, eliminating the enemy's ability to combine fire, and increasing speed (and thus tactical advantage) was pretty sweet!

The problem is more battle meditation in general. The design was flawed from the beginning. Although yours is vastly superior, it still wouldn't see too much play. Combined fire has been a lost art for some time now in SWM. How often do you see Moff Jerjerrod played? His CE is solid for that cost, but he's never used. The speed boost is probably the best aspect to your GBM. I do like that. I'd actually be tempted to change your GBM by:

-changing the +4 back to +2 for combined fire bonus
-keep the Speed 8 part
-grant Advantageous to non-Uniques

That may sound like a lot, with Advantageous, but you have to consider what you are modifying. Battle Meditation was never worth the 2 FP cost. Instead of focusing so much on the combined fire aspect, focus on other boosts.

I do like the revised cost of 38. That seems far more appropriate.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:25 pm 
Third Jedi from the Left
Third Jedi from the Left

Tirade wrote:
The problem is more battle meditation in general. The design was flawed from the beginning. Although yours is vastly superior, it still wouldn't see too much play. Combined fire has been a lost art for some time now in SWM. How often do you see Moff Jerjerrod played? His CE is solid for that cost, but he's never used. The speed boost is probably the best aspect to your GBM. I do like that. I'd actually be tempted to change your GBM by:

-changing the +4 back to +2 for combined fire bonus
-keep the Speed 8 part
-grant Advantageous to non-Uniques

That may sound like a lot, with Advantageous, but you have to consider what you are modifying. Battle Meditation was never worth the 2 FP cost. Instead of focusing so much on the combined fire aspect, focus on other boosts.

I do like the revised cost of 38. That seems far more appropriate.

Point taken. Keep in mind this card hasn't been play-tested. We're still not sure what a +8 for combining fire will do for the game - it might make combining fire awesome again, or atleast more useful, or it might not do anything. But it might turn out to be really good, considering characters can move 8 and attack under this CE. Give it a try and let us know!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:30 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Love the stats and love the sculpt! They should seriously have this guy in the Virtual Sets with the stats you made. I would put him in my squads just based on force lightning 4 alone! That is my favorite force power to use and love it on this guy. He can either dominate or zapp away at people. Keep up the good work!

Aliit ori'shya tal'din ("Family is more than Blood")
To learn Mandalorian, go to http://www.karentraviss.com/html/mando.htm.

Last edited by obikenobi1 on Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:02 am 
Really Cool Alien from a Cantina
Really Cool Alien from a Cantina

Don't usually post for Customs but here what I think. He is not UNDER cost he maybe over(not by much). Force Lighting 4 is a Huge ability, especial with the emperor. Self Destruction 40 is another Huge ability. Greater Battle medication is great, who cares about the combine fire +8 things aka Moff Jererrod, the move speed 8 with no within 6 range is what I'm looking at. Speed 8 is so good for the imperials. Then you have Dominate which who knows how it will work out with a figure with more than 40hp. He is VAU 48, Jerrerrod 12, Sly moore 28, and Major Veers 12 in one figure. I like him but would give him melee attack +9 for 20 and raise his cost to 50 no less then 48 aka VAU.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:11 pm 
Third Jedi from the Left
Third Jedi from the Left

obikenobi1 wrote:
Love the stats and love the sculpt! They should seriously have this guy in the Virtual Sets with the stats you made. I would put him in my squads just based on force lightning 4 alone! That is my favorite force power to use and love it on this guy. He can either dominate or zapp away at people. Keep up the good work!

Vor entye, ner vod!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:00 pm 
Third Jedi from the Left
Third Jedi from the Left

Darth Muerte wrote:
Don't usually post for Customs but here what I think. He is not UNDER cost he maybe over(not by much). Force Lighting 4 is a Huge ability, especial with the emperor. Self Destruction 40 is another Huge ability. Greater Battle medication is great, who cares about the combine fire +8 things aka Moff Jererrod, the move speed 8 with no within 6 range is what I'm looking at. Speed 8 is so good for the imperials. Then you have Dominate which who knows how it will work out with a figure with more than 40hp. He is VAU 48, Jerrerrod 12, Sly moore 28, and Major Veers 12 in one figure. I like him but would give him melee attack +9 for 20 and raise his cost to 50 no less then 48 aka VAU.

We considered giving him a melee attack value, but the character never fights anyone in the novels, so we weren't sure what it'd take. Also we didn't want to completely over-power him.