logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Customs for my RPG character: Jare Ramikad
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:40 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Argh, had this typed up once and clicked a wrong button and lost it all. So, hopefully i remember what I had before, lol.

Anyways, some of you may have seen my first custom in this series, but in case you didn't, here's the link: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3886

Basically, we're doing the Dawn of Defiance campaign in my RPG group, so I created a custom miniature for my character. He's a Miralukan, Jedi Class, though since the DoD campaign is set in the Dark Times, I've been mostly pretending to be a blind man, and not let the Imperials (or any one else for that matter) know that I'm a Jedi. It's been a fun experience so far.

Anyways....the figure in the link above was for my character at the beginning of our campaign (Level 1), but now that I'm up to a Level 4 character, I felt it was time to build a new piece!

Jare Ramikad:

For Level 4 I'm taking the Dual Weapon Mastery I feat. Up till now I've been using only the Force Pike as my main weapon (since in the Saga rules it does the same damage as a Lightsaber, and allowed me to have fun with down-playing the fact I was a Jedi). But, now I'll be able to use both weapons fairly effectively, so I wanted a miniature that represented that.

This custom is made from the following:
Legs, Base: Galactic Alliance Scout
Torso, Arms, Hands: Human Scoundrel
Force Pike: Half a staff from a Rebel Honor Guard and then the tip from an IG-100 Magnaguard staff
Lightsaber: Male Imperial Knight
Head: Elite Rebel Commando
Cape: Male Imperial Knight

(The LOTF set is apparently one of my favorites for customizing, lol. I've been using all sorts of things from that set!)

Some of my favorite things about this custom are the yellow dots on the legs (idea came from Han Solo's pants) and the bandanna around the head. The knot and loose ends of the bandanna turned out really nice on this piece. Maybe at some point if I pick up some green stuff or something I'll try to actually sculpt a bandanna in 3D, but for now, the paint works pretty cool. Also, the Force Pike is just pressed into the left hand. I used my exacto knife to kind of bore out the center of the hand, and then glued the staff in there, making it much easier than doing a full hand swap. The cape is the only thing that carries over from the Level 1 version, as I really enjoyed that look on the first one, and it adds a neat dynamic effect to the miniature (plus, it's a visual reminder that I have an All Temperature Cloak, lol!). I also tried for the first time using hot water/ice water to shape things. The cape got sort of bent out of shape while trying to remove it from the Imperial Knight, and the Lightsaber wasn't too straight either. So, actually after I had everything assembled/painted, I dipped it in some warm water, then reshaped it, and moved to the ice water. It worked wonderfully, and I'm looking forward to fixing more lightsabers and bent arms/legs this way. ;)

Next up: Lvl 7!

Post subject: Re: Customs for my RPG character: Jare Ramikad
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:41 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Right now, I have most of character's level progression planned out, so since I was sitting down to make my Level 4 character (above), I figured I'd continue having fun and work on another one.

When I get to Level 7, I plan to build my own Lightsaber, and make it a Shoto style one. My ultimate goal for this character is to do Prestige classes in Melee Duelist and Jedi Knight, and will effectively have Double, Twin, Block, and Deflect (maybe I'll post the full stats later). So, I wanted this miniature to be the one that shows my character in his full potential.

This one I had a lot of fun putting together and painting. Here's what I used to build it:

Legs, Base: Mando Marauder
Torso, Upper Arms: Elite Rebel Commando
Arms, Hands: Mando Marauder (same one as the legs, lol)
White Lightsaber: Female Imperial Knight
Orange Shoto Lightsaber: Jedi Sentinel
Head: Human Soldier of Fortune
Cape: Female Imperial Knight

Some cool things about this one. I actually managed to use the lower torso section of the Elite Rebel Commando, as I liked the look of the leather straps. So I very carefully painted around those straps, but also tried to choose a blue color that was somewhat similar to start with. The two arms are both from the same Mando Marauder. I cut the hands apart right between them, and then the bottom end of the Lightsaber in the right hand is actually the hilt of the Marauder's sword, and the end of the Shoto Lightsaber sticking above the left hand is actually the pommel of the Marauder's sword. To do the rest of the Shoto I took the Jedi Sentinel (I wanted an orange Lightsaber, lol) and had to cut off both it's hands, and then sand them down to get it close to what I wanted. I'm still not 100% happy with how large that part looks, but it works well enough. The Human SOF's head was actually like that right on the figure, with the fully black eyes. Since my character is Miralukan, I thought this was a cool touch, and I'm thinking that in my RPG, by the time I'm wielding two Lightsabers on a regular basis, I probably won't care about hiding my character's Miralukan identity either, so I really liked this look. I kept the same blue cape as the Level 1 and 4 incarnations of the character, but this time left off the orange under color, as I felt the blue/black fit the rest of the character better.

This piece required a lot of steady hand work to paint all the small details and try not to paint over the leather strapping. But I really like how it turned out, and how the armor plates are contrasting with the plates being black on the legs, but blue on the arms.

It's funny, I didn't notice these things when I was painting last night, but now looking at the blown-up pictures, I'm finding all sorts of little things that I need to correct, like blue paint on the back of the head, lol. I probably will still hit these with a black ink wash as well, so if they look different enough in pictures, I'll post new pics when I do that.

For fun, here's all 3 versions of Jare Ramikad, side by side!

(Funny side note: Jare Ramikad is created from Mando words (yes I know, I'm a dork :P). Jare means something similar to the japanese word 'kamikaze', and Ramikad is the Mando word for 'commando' (hence the Ori'Ramikad are the Super Commandos in the novels/comics). So, my character in our RPG is a Kamikaze Commando. :P Probably explains why i get shot and almost killed the most. :lol:)

EDIT: LOL, I just noticed that the hair color gets progressively lighter on these 3 pieces. As I said, the Human SOF's head on the Lvl 7 version I didn't repaint, so I must've used different brown colors for the other heads. I guess I need to fix the blue splotch on the back of Lvl 7 anyways, so I'll make him match more closely when I do that, haha.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:29 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

OK, shameless bump here. :P

Plus, I said I would post the stats for this character, and I did, over in the RPG section. viewtopic.php?f=97&t=5733

So, if you're just interested in the customs, then let me know what you think. If you want to see the RPG stats for him, pop on over to that area of the forums. We'd like to get some more activity going over there anyways. :)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:28 pm 
Really Cool Alien from a Cantina
Really Cool Alien from a Cantina

Dude great job I just got into making customs and I love it I spend a few hours working on some after school almost everyday after school. I am currently working on a Han in Mandalorian armor from the legacy series(I like customs from that set to lol) I'll put some pics up when Im done. Almost there :D