logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Laranth Tarak, Grey Paladin (Coruscant Nights)
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 5:01 pm 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

Laranth Tarak, Grey Paladin (V 3.0)
Faction: Fringe
Cost: 43
HPs: 80
Def: 20
Atk: 12
Damage: 20

SAs:
Unique
Twi'lek
Double Attack, Greater Mobile Attack
Accurate Shot
Pinpoint Accuracy + 10: (If both of its attacks hit the same non-adjacent enemy, this character's second attack gets +10 Damage.)
Evade

Force Powers:
Force 5
Point Defense: (Force 2; When this character or any ally within 4 is hit by a non-melee attack, that character does not take damage; save 11)
Force Sense

A member of an outcast sect of the Jedi Order, this Grey Jedi Paladin believes a blaster is just as good as a lightsaber... maybe better.

This character has intrigued me. She combines my favorite wild west icon-a gunslinger-into a Jedi. I changed a few things and modified her in line with Luke-Legacy of the Light Side. She's now a bit more expensive (+7 cost) but has a better to hit (+11) and a much more potent defensive force power that doesn't give her the luxury of having a Lightsaber SA for relations to Dark Armor, DR, etc.

Edits:
Removed Flurry, Twin, Mobile Attack and Blaster Barrage. Added Force Sense, Double, Greater Mobile, and Accurate Shot. Changed Screening Fire to Point Defense.

Update 1: Raised Cost to 46 and added Stealth.
Update 2: Made Force Points 4 without renewal. Lowered cost to 44 and removed Stealth. Added Pinpoint Accuracy + 10, Evade and +1 Attack.
Update 3: Raised starting FPs to 5. Added +1 D to make 20. Lowered cost to 43.

Thoughts? Playable? Broken? My God, you have set back Star Wars Miniatures 20 years?

Last edited by Markedman247 on Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:28 am, edited 11 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Laranth Tarak, Gray Paladin (Coruscant Nights)
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:05 pm 
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire

looks to undercosted, but maybe thats just me

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:54 pm 
Unnamed Wookiee
Unnamed Wookiee

I'd say you undercosted it, you put double and twin like handmaiden, carth, luke HOY, etc but it has a pretty good attack unlike them, and greater mobile pushes it to be a little to much for that cost, maybe mid 40s. Interesting character.

- Darth Bane, Dark Lord of the Sith

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:25 am 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

darth bane wrote:
I'd say you undercosted it, you put double and twin like handmaiden, carth, luke HOY, etc but it has a pretty good attack unlike them, and greater mobile pushes it to be a little to much for that cost, maybe mid 40s. Interesting character.

Let's not factor in Carth. He was overcosted based on what he does. The WTF character of the KotOR set. Fairly pathetic piece.

Luke, HoY has access to Pilot to gain evade and the Echani have low attacks but aren't Uniques and are Fringe so they can get significantly better. Commander Gree helps them out along with Jabba,CL.

And using Aurra Sing-JH at 41 pts to compare to, Aurra does damage to Jedi but Laranth is more of a point defense piece.

But, I did lower the attack by 2 and the D by 1. Should I raise the HPs by maybe 20 or would that throw the cost analysis?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:08 am 
Customizer Extrodinaire
Customizer Extrodinaire

I would lower base damage to 10 and add Lightsaber +10 if you want to show that he has a gun and saber. And did you mean to have him have Lightsaber Deflect 2?

"Genius is 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration."
-Thomas Edison

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:18 am 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

Roque Saber wrote:
I would lower base damage to 10 and add Lightsaber +10 if you want to show that he has a gun and saber. And did you mean to have him have Lightsaber Deflect 2?

Well, she doesn't use Lightsabers. She uses blasters. She's in tune with the Force and Blasters that she is able to shoot projectiles out mid-air. So the Blaster Deflect illustrates her aptitude at shooting blaster bolts, arrows, spears, or what-have-you out of the air. She usually does this to protect her allies.

I could drop the Damage to 10.

Here's her information on the Wookieepedia. If you haven't read the Coruscant Nights series of books (they went straight to paperback), she's the obligatory hot Twi'lek for the series.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Laranth_Tarak

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:39 am 
Customizer Extrodinaire
Customizer Extrodinaire

Ah, i see. Damage can stay at 20 then, might need to bump cost though (has more damage output than Mira, but costs less). Blaster Deflect doesnt sound right, maybe Force Reflect?

-Thomas Edison

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:08 pm 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

Roque Saber wrote:
Ah, i see. Damage can stay at 20 then, might need to bump cost though (has more damage output than Mira, but costs less). Blaster Deflect doesnt sound right, maybe Force Reflect?

I'll go back and recost. Probably 43 sound right?

As for Blaster Deflect, I would probably term it "Point Defense," "Counter Fire," "Intercepting Fire."

I will go back and work on her a bit more. May drop Flurry and add in Advantageous Attack.

Back to reformulation....
Edited stats

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 8:23 pm 
Customizer Extrodinaire
Customizer Extrodinaire

43s good. Point Defense sounds great

-Thomas Edison

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:36 am 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

I am retooling the character. I have some ideas after finishing the second book I want to incorperate.

Post subject: Re: Laranth Tarak, Grey Paladin (Coruscant Nights)
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:53 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

43 seems quite low.

Greater Mobile and Force Renewal really should push the cost of the figure to over 50.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:29 pm 
One of the Sith on Malgus' Shuttle
One of the Sith on Malgus' Shuttle

nuksaa wrote:
43 seems quite low.

Greater Mobile and Force Renewal really should push the cost of the figure to over 50.

Not exactly. Luke LotLS has both Greater Mobile and Force Renewal and is non-melee for a whopping 39 points.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:12 am 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

She's going to be a work in progress until I get a chance to play test her.

So, consider this another edit.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:27 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

jedispyder wrote:
nuksaa wrote:
43 seems quite low.

Not exactly. Luke LotLS has both Greater Mobile and Force Renewal and is non-melee for a whopping 39 points.

True. I forgot about him. I recant what I said, for some reason I thought Twi'lek was Twin Attack. 46 is too high, I would recommend returning to the lower forties.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:28 pm 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

nuksaa wrote:
jedispyder wrote:
nuksaa wrote:
43 seems quite low.

True. I forgot about him. I recant what I said, for some reason I thought Twi'lek was Twin Attack. 46 is too high, I would recommend returning to the lower forties.

Yes, I removed twin attack. I keep trying to fine tune her. I think 43, original amount, would be right with this version.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:59 am 
Customizer Extrodinaire
Customizer Extrodinaire

As she is right now, she's a little overcosted. A maximum 40 damage is pretty low for 46 (or 43) points) Maybe give her something like Blaster Barrage or Evade

-Thomas Edison

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:49 am 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

Roque Saber wrote:
As she is right now, she's a little overcosted. A maximum 40 damage is pretty low for 46 (or 43) points) Maybe give her something like Blaster Barrage or Evade

Well, I gave her 12 attack, lowered cost to 44, added Evade and a new ability called "Pinpoint Accuracy" which gives her the non-adjacent version of Rend + 10. Also removed Stealth and gave her 4 Force points without renewal.

Toying with the idea of:
Blaster Duelist: +4 Defense against non-melee characters with a Force rating within 6 squares.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:17 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

Quote:
Point Defense: (Force 2; When this character or any ally within 4 is hit by a non-melee attack, that character does not take damage if this character makes a successful save of 11)

Without force renewal, this force power seems too limited. I would recommend reducing force cost by one and maybe giving one more force point.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:19 pm 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

nuksaa wrote:
Quote:
Point Defense: (Force 2; When this character or any ally within 4 is hit by a non-melee attack, that character does not take damage if this character makes a successful save of 11)

Without force renewal, this force power seems too limited. I would recommend reducing force cost by one and maybe giving one more force point.

Well, remember that Kreia and Juhani had that problem as well but they are fringe and have access to other Force Batteries.

However, I will take in consideration. The one thing I don't want to do is Accurate Shot and Blaster Barrage.

Let me get back to balancing.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:01 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

Markedman247 wrote:
nuksaa wrote:
Quote:

Well, remember that Kreia and Juhani had that problem as well but they are fringe and have access to other Force Batteries.

However, I will take in consideration. The one thing I don't want to do is Accurate Shot and Blaster Barrage.

Let me get back to balancing.

I should have added that was in conjunction with the cost of 44.

The way I view this Force Power is as a limited range Evade ability that is not a CE. Yes she could have access to a force battery but it can cause the player to decide if he wants to burn force points. I just think that a Force 5 and the force ability costing 1 could better justify the cost of 44; though, even then, it seems a bit high. Or drop the force cost to 1, total FP to 3 and drop the overall cost of the piece using Juhani as the basis:

Summary Laranth vs Juhani

HP =
Def +2
Att +3
Dmg =

abilities:
# attacks "="
attack Ranged vs Melee -----------------------------------> "+" ranged attack is more potent
damage bonus Pin point vs Deadly & Vicious -----------> "-" Laranth's damage is more consistent but doesn't multiply with a ciritcal hit & Juhani's hurts more
Attack bonus Accurate shot vs Lightsaber Duelist ------> "+" Accurate shot is much more potent than Duelist
Movement Bonus Greater Mobile vs None -------------------> "+" multiplies affects and application of Accurate/Pin Point
damage avoidance Evade vs Stealth -----------------------> hard to say. Both can be negated by being close to the figure and several pieces can take away Stealth. Evade is a 50/50 ability.

FP +1

FA: avoid ranged damage to self and others: cost 2 vs avoid melee damage to self: cost 1 ---------------------> "=" The benefits of Juhani's goes well with her Stealth ability and lower cost; Laranth's is applicable to more than self but at cost 2.
Force sense lose ability for round: cost 1 vs Force cloak gain ability for rest of skirmish: cost 2 & 1 turn ------> "-" Juhani's costs more but lasts longer. Both FAs support the characters other abilities
none vs Sith rage -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------> "-" Juhani has an extra damage ability

The current cost difference is 19. Not all abilities are equal but a simple analysis shows Laranth up in base abilities and FPs, up +2 in abilities, and down 2 in FAs. What are you getting for the extra 19 points? I know what I would do: spend 45 points on Juhani and a BBSV. Why? An extra activation, an additional 50 HP, & Juhani gains evade from CE.